Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Property as a retirement asset

Default Property as a retirement asset

Property as a retirement asset
    Even within a portfolio of properties, one should diversify to include various property segments
    23 Feb 2012 16:41
    By Ku Swee Yong
    CEO, International Property Advisor Pte Ltd

ALMOST one in 10 Singapore residents are aged 65 and above. There is no dispute that Singapore’s resident population (defined as Singapore Citizens and Permanent Residents) of 3,789,300 is ageing.

Recent media discussions about the proposed building of several eldercare centres threw the spotlight on the lack of space to provide our elders with better comfort. We would need to do more to provide for our elders, many of whom have survived the war and contributed to building this country.

The next largest category of our population is aged between 45 and 49 years. This group is 324,000 strong. No surprise that the population distribution bulges in the middle: low birth rates, alongside the need to maintain a strong workforce, meant that immigration policies of the past decade have favoured high net worth families and economically productive young foreigners.

Those who are approaching 50 and are sizing up their nest egg and looking forward to their next decade will increasingly demand retirement planning. Unfortunately, our bills do not retire. They continue to pour in monthly: credit cards, utilities, phones, cable access, etc. How many investment classes provide monthly incomes to help one maintain a reasonable standard of living post-retirement?

I am all for diversified investment portfolios. Depending on one’s risk appetite, one might have some shares, foreign currencies, fixed income, real estate and perhaps some passion investments such as art, wines and watches. As we reach retirement, the portfolio might take on a lower risk profile, for example with less stocks and private equity and with more fixed income and cash.

At this point, a monthly rental income from real estate ranks high on the list of preferred investments. Real estate is a long-term investment, with low price volatility, steady income stream and especially for freehold property, well suited for multi-generational wealth preservation and wealth transfer.

Considering the above, and with the Central Provident Fund (CPF) withdrawal age being pushed further out, more people are investing their accumulated CPF funds into residential properties and collecting rental income from this source. This is an indirect use of CPF funds which might otherwise be available only when one reaches 65 years. There is no denying that life spans are getting extended due to the good quality of our environment and high standards of medical care. Consequently, CPF withdrawal policies might change further down the road.

Even within a portfolio of properties, one should diversify to include various property segments. Each segment of real estate has its own supply-demand cycles and policy risks. Policy risks in the residential segment are the highest, as evidenced by the numerous cooling measures introduced in the past three years. Therefore, the various streams of rental income should include retail, commercial and perhaps overseas properties.

If we were to broaden our scope further, within the real estate space, alternative investments include debt, private equity in completed buildings or development projects, convertible bonds and even Real Estate Investment Trusts (Reits). Several good quality Reits pay quarterly dividends of between 4 and 7 per cent per annum. This is an opportunity for some clients: they took additional leverage on their largely paid-up property at the current home mortgage rates of about 1.2 per cent to invest in Reits. With interest rates expected to stay low for a few more years, some clients also leverage on their property investments to invest in fixed income instruments such as corporate bonds and private equity debt.

Include some debt

We generally recommend clients to take some debt but not so much that it would stretch their finances, especially for retirement planning. A loan-to-value (LTV) ratio of 60-70 per cent, depending on the property type and the client’s risk appetite, provides a good balance between cashflow and risks.

As most mortgages are available to borrowers until they are 70 years old, when investing in a property for retirement cashflow, borrowers need to note the loan repayment plans (which include principal plus interest) versus the potential rental income. For example, an investor aged 58 who has invested in a $1.5 million freehold residential property might take a $900,000 loan (60 per cent LTV) for 12 years. His monthly rental income could be $4,500 but his mortgage payment would be about $7,000 (principal plus interest).

Negative cashflow is not a good thing during retirement. Those who have access to private banking facilities might overcome the negative cashflow situation with revolving credit facilities. A private bank may view a client’s total risk based on the total financial assets and property investments pledged with the bank.

Here, the loan against the client’s property could be structured such that interest payments are serviced regularly but payments towards reducing the principal sum are deferred until, for example, when the client’s investment in a unit trust matures or when a fund is redeemed.

Taking on some debt is good for cashflow purposes but when we consider handing over our wealth to the next generation, having liabilities on the family balance sheet is less desirable. Most of us would not want our children to bear the burden of the property loans upon our demise. In our diversified retirement portfolio, we should always include a Universal Life (UL) insurance plan which has a payout that will cover all the outstanding principal sum of loans.

Those who have several property investments of very different values – say, a landed property, two conservation shophouses and four apartments – might find it challenging to distribute the assets equally to their beneficiaries. In such cases, they could invest in a larger UL that will ensure that the liabilities are paid down upon their demise and in addition, allow for a more even distribution of assets to their beneficiaries.

Involve trustworthy partners

There are a few other things we should consider around our property investments before we can enjoy the cashflow. For legacy planning, would we want to hold the properties under a trust or a foundation? How active do we want to be in managing the investment portfolio after we have retired? Are there tax implications especially where foreign properties may be involved?

Right from the beginning of planning for our retirement, before we even begin to select the assets for our retirement portfolio, we should look for a trustworthy real estate agent and a personal banker. A good banker will assist in managing the loans, the outward payments and reinvesting the incoming rentals. A responsible property agent will help manage the leases and the tenants. Most importantly, the well-qualified property agent must keep tabs on market fluctuations, policy changes and recommend suitable divestments and additions to the portfolio of properties.

Having these strong partners will ensure that our retirement will be a relatively carefree and peaceful one.

The writer is the author of ‘Real Estate Riches – Understanding Singapore’s Property Market in a Volatile Economy’

The author mentioned one should diversify one's property portfolio to minimize risks. For the average salaried worker, buying 1 property in addition to an HDB is already a huge burden. How to diversify?

Dots...

"trustworthy estate agent and personal banker"

Do these exist???

In my experience, estate agents and bankers work to their own advantage and not yours (unless they are your family or close friends). Their agenda seems to be to maximise commissions and profits for themselves.

So-called financial planners who have come to see me and after I have given them the break-down of my finances, they have vanished into thin air and not contacted me. Sigh....I am obviously a poor prospect to them....prospect of earning commissions not good, therefore not worth to be their valued client.

Quote Originally Posted by Beebot
    The author mentioned one should diversify one's property portfolio to minimize risks. For the average salaried worker, buying 1 property in addition to an HDB is already a huge burden. How to diversify?
    those cant afford real house can buy paper house...when they up the lorry can take with them to next world...

It is a rather fair proposal for the wealthy ones with the current economic climate.

Quote Originally Posted by radha08
    those cant afford real house can buy paper house...when they up the lorry can take with them to next world...
    Nowadays ipad also have...

Default How come?

Why is buying a private property beside a hdb a huge burden? I thought it was the other way round. The more properties you've the less burden.

Rental is already covering all my mortgages plus the extra is just for buying the next one.

Quote Originally Posted by chiaberry
    Dots...

Do these exist???

In my experience, estate agents and bankers work to their own advantage and not yours (unless they are your family or close friends). Their agenda seems to be to maximise commissions and profits for themselves.

So-called financial planners who have come to see me and after I have given them the break-down of my finances, they have vanished into thin air and not contacted me. Sigh....I am obviously a poor prospect to them....prospect of earning commissions not good, therefore not worth to be their valued client.
    Writers expectation of property agents too much la... What he is asking for may be fulfilled by consultants, not mere agents..

Not for those who bought new launches at future price and coupled with increase of interest back to 4-5%.
    Quote Originally Posted by tericia
    Why is buying a private property beside a hdb a huge burden? I thought it was the other way round. The more properties you've the less burden.

Rental is already covering all my mortgages plus the extra is just for buying the next one.

Default Interest at 4.5%?

My recent purchase in feb interest is 0.8% fixed for 3 years. How come the interest suddenly went up to 4.5% my banker didn't tell me.

If that's the new interest then must thank my banker.

Quote Originally Posted by DC33_2008
    Not for those who bought new launches at future price and coupled with increase of interest back to 4-5%.

My recent purchase in feb interest is 0.8% fixed for 3 years. How come the interest suddenly went up to 4.5% my banker didn't tell me.

May I know which bank is offering 0.8% fixed for 3 years? thanks

I meant investor has to be prepared when interest goes back to 4-5%. What is the interest after the 3rd year? That is the real issue.

Quote Originally Posted by howgozit
    May I know which bank is offering 0.8% fixed for 3 years? thanks
    Yes i would like to know too.... is it 0.8%+3mth sibor? the 0.8% part is fix?

Default By the way

Sorry in case you guys mistaken I don't even have a full time job. I'm a contract worker. So my position to buy property is even tougher but I still feel having 1 property only is the toughest.

As for the interest i got, sorry guys, it was a special rate not available to public.

Unless the properties are fully paid up, any loan you take for it is technically a liability and hence considered a burden.

The fact that your rental income covers mortgages now does not necessarily mean that it will cover it forever.

I do admire your optimism though.... you are obviously having a good run

Can. Diversify to become part-time MP. $15k pm allowance sure can afford a small landed.

Quote Originally Posted by carbuncle
    Writers expectation of property agents too much la... What he is asking for may be fulfilled by consultants, not mere agents..
    Got difference?

I thought that Property Consultant is just another title for Property Agent (looks better on the name card).

Are you a Consultant?

What a long chunk of nonsense!

Default The difference in my situation

Actually the simple explanation is that cuz I'm a contract worker my loan allowance for each property is low. So that also explains that my mortgage is also low.

The other issue is my agents and banker (1 banker) has been helping me for 5 years now and they are good. So, credit goes to them for record rental and sales.

Unless the properties are fully paid up, any loan you take for it is technically a liability and hence considered a burden.

The fact that your rental income covers mortgages now does not necessarily mean that it will cover it forever.

I do admire your optimism though.... you are obviously having a good run

Sorry in case you guys mistaken I don't even have a full time job. I'm a contract worker. So my position to buy property is even tougher but I still feel having 1 property only is the toughest.

As for the interest i got, sorry guys, it was a special rate not available to public.
    If such special interest rates are not available to the public then I would think it cannot be used to support the argument that buying more properties reduces "burden".

Actually the simple explanation is that cuz I'm a contract worker my loan allowance for each property is low. So that also explains that my mortgage is also low.

The other issue is my agents and banker (1 banker) has been helping me for 5 years now and they are good. So, credit goes to them for record rental and sales.
    And also you rent out the maid's room in your properties to maximise yield.

0.8% fixed for 3 years is certainly a Very Very Good rate. Even bank VPs can't get these rates for themselves much less even offer them to customers. You better hold on to your contacts.

.... I think she mistook 80bps spread as fixed rate for 3 yrs.

Got difference?

I thought that Property Consultant is just another title for Property Agent (looks better on the name card).

Are you a Consultant?

Some has the title but lack the expertise or professionalism. I am neither. But con and insult I can...

Quote Originally Posted by amk
    If so I declare this the biggest joke of the century of this forum...because I have a lower spread and its for thereafter somemore....

Forgive me.. I am trying to understand you better.

When you say loan "allowance", I take it you mean loan quantum. Meaning you took a lower loan because you put in more cash... am I right so far..?

So what you are saying is that your banker offers you lower interest because you took less loan? Do you mean that if you were to take a bigger loan your interest will be conversely higher?

Quote Originally Posted by amk
    Profile says it's a "he" (gender:Male).

Hello administrator, can we have more options: Male/female/not sure/troll

Dots...

Do these exist???

bankers are paid by bank, they work for bank's profit , so why should they work for your benefit? they are there only to facilitate if you need loan. Estate agent is there to work for the best pay master. They work without a salary and take risk to be in the profession. Naturally they have to work and look for the commission to take care of their family and put food on the table also.... nothing wrg if everything is done ethically.

In this world, if u want the best advice and services, be prepared to pay. Good thing cannot be cheap, and cheap thing cannot be the best. U try pay good experienced financial advisers a fee to advice u lah, if u are not asking them to squeeze water from stones, i m sure u can benefit from some ideas they have.

Quote Originally Posted by DaytonaSS
    In this world, if u want the best advice and services, be prepared to pay. Good thing cannot be cheap, and cheap thing cannot be the best. U try pay good experienced financial advisers a fee to advice u lah, if u are not asking them to squeeze water from stones, i m sure u can benefit from some ideas they have.
    How to know if what you are going to pay is worth it? If they advise you inappropriately, then you lose the fee plus the money you invested.

Forgive me.. I am trying to understand you better.

When you say loan "allowance", I take it you mean loan quantum. Meaning you took a lower loan because you put in more cash... am I right so far..?

So what you are saying is that your banker offers you lower interest because you took less loan? Do you mean that if you were to take a bigger loan your interest will be conversely higher?
    Either you are being extremely patient or extremely sarcastic.... Lol