Thread: Beware oversupply of shoebox flats, property analysts warn

Default Beware oversupply of shoebox flats, property analysts warn

Beware oversupply of shoebox flats, property analysts warn

Experts warn investors that thousands of them are set to flood market

By Gan Yu Jia

Property analysts have issued a blunt warning to investors keen to buy so-called shoebox apartments in hopes of capital gains and good rental returns.

The strong interest in these units - mainly 500 sq ft or smaller - is playing a central role in fuelling the robust demand in the overall private property market.

Analysts at major research firms cautioned that investors should look before they leap even though the price tags look tempting, given the units' small size.

They said investors should understand that thousands of these tiny homes are set to flood the market in the next year or so, which could mean headaches in getting a tenant - or a good resale price.

The analysts said most buyers for such units tended to be investors rather than owner occupiers, many of whom lived in Housing Board flats that were larger than the shoebox units they were buying.

A report by BNP Paribas Group noted a spike in private units purchased by Housing Board dwellers since 2008, many of which were shoebox-size, 'which we believe is not for owner occupation'.

A Citi Investment Research report added: 'Judging by the increase in proportion of smaller units sold, we believe there has been an increase in investment demand.'

A research report by Nomura Group pointed out that the number of completed shoebox units could triple next year.

Most units scheduled for completion are mass and mid-market projects and more than half of such units were purchased by Housing Board dwellers, it said.

It added that shoebox units completed in the past two years had turned in a 'mixed' investment performance - with varying levels of rental demand among different developments.

'While rental demand for projects such as Parc Imperial... appears healthy, demand for others like Kembangan Suites appears comparatively slow,' it said.

The BNP report also stated that tighter immigration rules may mean investors would face even more difficulty finding enough tenants for the units.

'Facing an uncertain demand ahead, we believe the physical market could start to feel the first pains of oversupply as early as (the second half of next year) via softening rents and buyer sentiments,' it said.

The researchers also warned that rising interest rates could dampen home demand. 'Coupled with other risks such as an earlier-than-expected climb in interest rates, this could indeed have a significant impact on the financial well-being of Housing Board households, which typically have less holding power,' said Nomura.

Likewise, the BNP report warned that a rise in mortgage rates could hurt home affordability, 'unless household income rises faster or home prices fall faster'.

Investor Leona Lo, who has just bought a 463 sq ft shoebox unit in Petir Road, said she is not concerned that the surge in the number of shoebox units next year will hurt rents if she intends to lease hers out.

'You must always like what you buy. We've also chosen very carefully. In the area we've chosen, Bukit Panjang, there are no visible shoebox developments, so we'll be the first,' the public relations consultant said. 'It's not saturated like in the East Coast.'

She added that she had just sold a 430 sq ft shoebox apartment in East Coast Road, which she had previously rented out at a yield of 'above 2.5 per cent - more than break-even'.

[email protected]

analyst can scream and shout all they want NOBODY IS GOING TO LISTEN TO THEM..

oh no i've become one of them too
    I am rich in debts...

kembangan suites rental no good? anyone vested wanna clarify? bullman?

yah. i would have thought should be easy to rent out. if this one no good then telok kurau how?!!?!??!!

Quote Originally Posted by carbuncle
    kembangan suites rental no good? anyone vested wanna clarify? bullman?

Quote Originally Posted by bargain hunter
    yah. i would have thought should be easy to rent out. if this one no good then telok kurau how?!!?!??!!
    sorry. kembangan is never as atas as tk n never will b

Kembagan Suites area, 189th Ranking in rental for Feb 2012. Median psf about $3 psf/mth. Max psf achieve is close to $5.4 psf/mth [assume max rental psf is small unit for KS] This also factors in the other 2 condos within the location where this development is at: http://www.propertyguru.com.sg/searc...&search_btn=Go

if $5.40 * 420 sq ft only $2268. can't be so low rite?

Quote Originally Posted by dtrax
    Kembagan Suites area, 189th Ranking in rental for Feb 2012. Median psf about $3 psf/mth. Max psf achieve is close to $5.4 psf/mth [assume max rental psf is small unit for KS] This also factors in the other 2 condos within the location where this development is at: http://www.propertyguru.com.sg/searc...&search_btn=Go

tk atas?!

to me siglap is atas, cross the longkang to tk, not atas already.

i thought kembangan suites would have higher rental for 1 bedder vs a similar unit at telok kurau purely becoz it is nearer to mrt. thought singles no need to see atas or not.

sorry. kembangan is never as atas as tk n never will b

tk atas?!

to me siglap is atas, cross the longkang to tk, not atas already.

i thought kembangan suites would have higher rental for 1 bedder vs a similar unit at telok kurau purely becoz it is nearer to mrt. thought singles no need to see atas or not.
    If tk already you considered not atas, then kembangan is the dumps liao lol

The report compared Kembangan suites vs Parc Imperial as slow... Well of course as the latter has ready pool from Science Park and NUS and there really isnt too many newly completed MM around the area. Kem on the other hand is near tk choke full of newly completed MM

As long as there are people to rent bedrooms, there will be demand for MMs. The rental rate of bedrooms will form the base rental for MMs. As renting MMs are far superior to renting bedrooms from the privacy viewpoint.

The question is whether that base rental meets the buyer's expectations.

if $5.40 * 420 sq ft only $2268. can't be so low rite?
    hehe, high or not high. Not up to me to decide, see tenants willing to pay for it. I think it is still fairly reasonable? Since parc imperial if I am not wrong near mrt/better location is at 2.8k +/-

i found KS located at a very convenient location. its near enough to the mrt, so need not walk past the "dumpy" parts of kembangan, whereever that is.

TK MMs on the other hand, u can see them on every street, too many of them.

So shouldn't KS be easily rented out since its more rare?

If tk already you considered not atas, then kembangan is the dumps liao lol

KS is even nearer to kembangan mrt which is on the main east west line. 2.2k for KS a tad low.

have you guys been to KS neighbourhood? also right beside park connector. i couldn't find anything seriously wrong with it.

Quote Originally Posted by dtrax
    hehe, high or not high. Not up to me to decide, see tenants willing to pay for it. I think it is still fairly reasonable? Since parc imperial if I am not wrong near mrt/better location is at 2.8k +/-

i found KS located at a very convenient location. its near enough to the mrt, so need not walk past the "dumpy" parts of kembangan, whereever that is.

TK MMs on the other hand, u can see them on every street, too many of them.

So shouldn't KS be easily rented out since its more rare?
    Its not as rare as you think it is. For many years Bliss Residence and DGallery next door has been enjoying good rental... Only explanation then could be that the more or less fixed pool of expat who working around there (err... Chai Chee technopark maybe? Cant think of any other business park nearby) may have all found their lodging. Guess other reason is nobody wants to live right next to an over ground mrt. So noisy and announcements are irritating non stop. And you can clearly hear the di di di di di

why dont Bullman about the rental? he got 2 units at KS if not mistaken

i think KS is already helped by kembangan plaza which absorbed a lot of the noise from the mrt. maybe those which can't rent out are those which can still hear the mrt.

Its not as rare as you think it is. For many years Bliss Residence and DGallery next door has been enjoying good rental... Only explanation then could be that the more or less fixed pool of expat who working around there (err... Chai Chee technopark maybe? Cant think of any other business park nearby) may have all found their lodging. Guess other reason is nobody wants to live right next to an over ground mrt. So noisy and announcements are irritating non stop. And you can clearly hear the di di di di di

haha bullman is a buzi man? Ya it would be good for MM experts to post their views and rental achieve

i think KS is already helped by kembangan plaza which absorbed a lot of the noise from the mrt. maybe those which can't rent out are those which can still hear the mrt.
    Well the other side not that fantastic. When the m..... start prayers... I know coz I ever recce there and it was one of the reason that stopped me from committing to KS...

ok. fair enough. anyway, i m not an MM supporter,

Well the other side not that fantastic. When the m..... start prayers... I know coz I ever recce there and it was one of the reason that stopped me from committing to KS...

ok. fair enough. anyway, i m not an MM supporter,
    Ha! For a moment I thought you are vested... With your strong defense.

i wonder why i am defending KS also. i guess purely from convenience point of view. let's wait for bullman to update us, if he chances upon this thread, that is.

i wonder why i am defending KS also. i guess purely from convenience point of view. let's wait for bullman to update us, if he chances upon this thread, that is.
    Seldom see him appear in other threads also...

if i had spare cash lying around i would buy an MM apt for my retirement... ...some ulu place like ripple bay or seletar...in meantime rent out use as holiday home..use as lodging for UNWANTED relatives from overseas

Capital cost n holding cost of MM r quite low. Hence unlikely to crash. If MM were to crash, e economy has to b so bad tt COE has to crash first.

What is clear is many CCR condos r in oversupply state,which is y transactions n prices r falling. How much they continue to fall depends in how much RCR n OCR condo prices have to catch up, n there is still a lot to catch up in terms of quantum. This is based on my assumption of decentralising. Just like Shanghai n Beijing in China, Den Haag n Amsterdam in Netherlands. New hubs will appear.