Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: TAXI driver is it a LOW down job...

Quote Originally Posted by hopeful
    why not be a security guard in your own condo?
    imagine, you stay in the penthouse, then comedown to work in aircon office.
    and when you do your rounds, can consider that as exercise.

you get paid for seating and walking in your own condo project.
    shiok right?

if people make noise in the middle of the night, don your security guard attire and tell the noisy people to shoo.
    Wow, this will be my NUMBER one job when retired.

Quote Originally Posted by House
    Wow, this will be my NUMBER one job when retired.
    Even if you want, they may not hire you.
    My dad, a retired cabin crew was refused a job as a security guard as they said he was over qualified.

Quote Originally Posted by buttercarp
    Even if you want, they may not hire you.
    My dad, a retired cabin crew was refused a job as a security guard as they said he was over qualified.
    he too yan dao? employ him liao scare all other security guards no more chance to sian pinoy maids ?

Quote Originally Posted by Douk
    Is a decent job, but not rewarding $ wise. You may want to achieve your landed before becoming a taxi driver.
    I have a taxi friend, he drives only during weekdays (Mon-Fri) from 4pm to 2am and earning about $3k per month.

Quote Originally Posted by fclim
    The fact that you and the others think it is a good retirement job shows that it is not for you as a livelihood.

You need to be very thick skinned to take insults and remarks from snotty passengers who may scold you "stupid", "idiot" and the champion word of all, "moron". But, you are CondoSingapore trained, so should be okay lah..

Psst.. Mr B good sparring partner.
    But not all the passengers are like that lah. Anyway you don't know them, after scolding, you might not meet them again, so don't need to feel embarrass.

I don't think as a taxi-driver, it is a low-down class job, the only concern is the health issue. As a taxi-driver, you must have enough sleep because you are on the road most of the time, also quite taxing on the eyesights, cannot fall sick (if not, no income, still have to pay for rental), go for holiday (can get someone to drive your taxi temporarily by renting them cheaper, so it will cut down the cost). Go for your meals and also to toilet, it might be a rush unless you can take things very easily, but to most of the taxi-drivers, time is money. I used to see my taxi friends always in a rush like that.

But my uncle used to be a taxi-driver before, he takes things very easily, he said no point rushing with people, health is more important.

Quote Originally Posted by irisng
    I have a taxi friend, he drives only during weekdays (Mon-Fri) from 4pm to 2am and earning about $3k per month.
    treat it as retirement job to have some kopi money and on ocassion chit chat with passenger, easy to pass time.

dont need to do alot of walking yet still get paid seeing the surrounding instead of being kept at home all day.

Yep... less stressful as a retirement job for kopi lui... being nagged daily by the Wife at home is worse for your health. No wonder old folks tend to lose their hearing... I suspect on purpose

Quote Originally Posted by rattydrama
    treat it as retirement job to have some kopi money and on ocassion chit chat with passenger, easy to pass time.

dont need to do alot of walking yet still get paid seeing the surrounding instead of being kept at home all day.

Quote Originally Posted by howgozit
    Yep... less stressful as a retirement job for kopi lui... being nagged daily by the Wife at home is worse for your health. No wonder old folks tend to lose their hearing... I suspect on purpose
    abit of nag still better then no nag lah. If one day there is no more nag, you will also go very fast....

From what I gathered from taxi drivers over last few decades, taxi drivers will face these types of customers/passangers

1. Nice customers. Ask them which way they want to get to destination, they say doesn't matter. No worries.
    2. Give tips customers. Taxi fare 10.50, they give $12 no keep the change. Some even better give $20. Very happy.
    4. Petty & Fussy customers. Ask you to take certain route but then when they see the meter fare a bit high than their normal (they claim so) they want discount. Headache customers. Feedback is majority aunties.
    5. Beat the traffic customer. Ask taxi drivers to dash pass the traffic junction when see amber light. Will scold the taxi drivers if they stop. Reason is the meter will keep jumping when stop at traffic light.
    6. Not enough money customers. When reach destination, say not enought money. Don't want troubles so let them go & bare the loss.
    7. Don't pay fare customer. Reach destination say no money. Most taxi drivers will still let them off. If not got to go police station and there goes their day. More losses.
    8. Rude and stuck-up customers. Treat taxi drivers like servants. They got money BIG BIG......... deal. Will scold if you break to avoid other vehicles. Will threaten to complain if they percieved the taxi driver ignore them (because you rude people don't want to talk to you mah).
    9. Drunk customers. Must get ready plastic bags in taxi. let them vomit in the plastic bags. But then the smell will leave behind in the taxi. If no more plastic bag or they can't aim (too drunk), you bad luck lah. Got to do cleaning up when they alight.

Not easy as a taxi driver leh. Besides the health issues, still need to deal with all sorts of customers. Even if you control your temper, it will still affetcs your mood.

This job is not for me.
    Last edited by PN; 01-05-12 at 11:18.

Quote Originally Posted by howgozit
    Wakakakaka..... Funny!!!!!

abit of nag still better then no nag lah. If one day there is no more nag, you will also go very fast....
    Which man is new to nagging? From birth nagged by mother. Until get married, nagged by both mother and wife. Stereo sound. If got daughter worse Surround sound....

Ya lor, 打是疼你, 骂是爱 mah.

Quote Originally Posted by PN
    From what I gathered from taxi drivers over last few decades, taxi drivers will face these types of customers/passangers

1. Nice customers. Ask them which way they want to get to destination, they say doesn't matter. No worries.
    2. Give tips customers. Taxi fare 10.50, they give $12 no keep the change. Some even better give $20. Very happy.
    4. Petty & Fussy customers. Ask you to take certain route but then when they see the meter fare a bit high than their normal (they claim so) they want discount. Headache customers. Feedback is majority aunties.
    5. Beat the traffic customer. Ask taxi drivers to dash pass the traffic junction when see amber light. Will scold the taxi drivers if they stop. Reason is the meter will keep jumping when stop at traffic light.
    6. Not enough money customers. When reach destination, say not enought money. Don't want troubles so let them go & bare the loss.
    7. Don't pay fare customer. Reach destination say no money. Most taxi drivers will still let them off. If not got to go police station and there goes their day. More losses.
    8. Rude and stuck-up customers. Treat taxi drivers like servants. They got money BIG BIG......... deal. Will scold if you break to avoid other vehicles. Will threaten to complain if they percieved the taxi driver ignore them (because you rude people don't want to talk to you mah).
    9. Drunk customers. Must get ready plastic bags in taxi. let them vomit in the plastic bags. But then the smell will leave behind in the taxi. If no more plastic bag or they can't aim (too drunk), you bad luck lah. Got to do cleaning up when they alight.

Not easy as a taxi driver leh. Besides the health issues, still need to deal with all sorts of customers. Even if you control your temper, it will still affetcs your mood.

This job is not for me.
    You forgot point number 3. Robber customers. Some customers give counterfeit $50 notes to still get change from driver. Some take out knief and ask for cash plus cash card! V hazardous job indeed!

Quote Originally Posted by ysyap
    You forgot point number 3. Robber customers. Some customers give counterfeit $50 notes to still get change from driver. Some take out knief and ask for cash plus cash card! V hazardous job indeed!
    Aiya. Missed out #3.

Your addition fits perfectly.

This job is not for me.
    I think these are all from the taxi drivers experience but how about from the customers experience.

Many yrs back, I had this exerience: hire a taxi at around 10am, alamat inside the taxi was so hot and a housefly was flying around. The taxi uncle smiled at me and told me that he had a mahjong section late last night, that was why he couldn't get up early in the morning to cool the taxi.

Ok, never mind, I just smiled at him. Then came next, he took a big, curving loop to reach my destination which in fact he could travel in a straight and direct route. Most taxi drivers know how to use this straight and direct route. I asked him why he took this curving route, he told me that he was used to it already. In the end, not only I had to pay extra $ but also wasting my time, I reached my destination about 15-20 mins later than my normal day.

My mother-in-law also had the same experience, taxi drivers took a very long route before she reached her destination.

But some taxi drivers are good, they will ask you which route you prefer, if not they will just take the shorter route.

CUTE TAXI DRVIER : I came across this taxi driver, he was not sure about the way and I had to lead him from the start to the end, haha. He said he was new in this line and not very familiar with the roads.

CUTE TAXI DRVIER : I came across this taxi driver, he was not sure about the way and I had to lead him from the start to the end, haha. He said he was new in this line and not very familiar with the roads.
    This taxi driver act blurrrrrrrr lah.

He just want to find excuses to talk to you all the wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.

Bring a GPS along to use in the taxi

This taxi driver act blurrrrrrrr lah.

He just want to find excuses to talk to you all the wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.
    Aiya, don't like that lah, that taxi driver was "Ah Dee", and I was with my children hor.

Quote Originally Posted by Laguna
    Bring a GPS along to use in the taxi
    Actually, my husband used to take this straight route to fetch me to and fro my destination, that's why I know the route very well and the taxi driver wanted to "bluff" me. In the end, I also paid him, no point argued with him.

Ya lor, 打是疼你, 骂是爱 mah.
    I have only ever heard this being mentioned by women. 100%. The men whom used this phrase are either old uncles or gay...

I think these are all from the taxi drivers experience but how about from the customers
    Cute taxi driver i seldom find... But noob yes i keep meeting. Its probably their 'disclaimer' first in case u complain long route etc later. For all u know they already drove for 6 months liao. Actually i hate it when they ask me which route to take. I usually just say whichever take the shortest fastest route.

Quote Originally Posted by carbuncle
    Cute taxi driver i seldom find... But noob yes i keep meeting. Its probably their 'disclaimer' first in case u complain long route etc later. For all u know they already drove for 6 months liao. Actually i hate it when they ask me which route to take. I usually just say whichever take the shortest fastest route.
    Yup... sometimes the driver only testing the passenger to see if he/she knows the way. If don't know, then he can sneak in a slightly longer route to earn that extra $1 to $2...

Quote Originally Posted by ysyap
    Yup... sometimes the driver only testing the passenger to see if he/she knows the way. If don't know, then he can sneak in a slightly longer route to earn that extra $1 to $2...
    As a driver, I would say it is very hard to drive nowadays. The shortest route on the map may not be the most efficient in terms of time or cost. The best route may turn out to be the worst. It depends on the time of the day, weather, public holiday, road works or tree prunings, and accident.

The deadliest combination would be: peak hour around 6.30pm, heavy rain, eve of public holiday, partial road closure for cable laying and section road closure for tree prunings, and accident of course. In practice, any two combination can result in massive jams along the road with usual smooth traffic.

So sometimes it is not the taxi driver trying to detour slightly to earn that extra buck. It is just that he/she is trying to avoid the heavy traffic stretch.

Quote Originally Posted by hyenergix
    As a driver, I would say it is very hard to drive nowadays. The shortest route on the map may not be the most efficient in terms of time or cost. The best route may turn out to be the worst. It depends on the time of the day, weather, public holiday, road works or tree prunings, and accident.

The deadliest combination would be: peak hour around 6.30pm, heavy rain, eve of public holiday, partial road closure for cable laying and section road closure for tree prunings, and accident of course. In practice, any two combination can result in massive jams along the road with usual smooth traffic.

So sometimes it is not the taxi driver trying to detour slightly to earn that extra buck. It is just that he/she is trying to avoid the heavy traffic stretch.
    I will not disagree but my past experience tells me that there are also taxi drivers who knows a jam brewing somewhere at this time of the day and purposely take that route so can snail along on the road and that will guarantee income for the next 1 hour in the traffic jam... When I lamented about the jam, he says he don't know and was caught off guard!

I had come across a good taxi driver too. It happened that this taxi driver had "dropped" one of my condo residents at our guard house, so obviously I took the same taxi. When the taxi driver started to leave the condo, my son realised that there was a wallet on the back seat and he passed it to the taxi driver. The taxi-driver said that it must be the previous passenger, so he drove back to our guard house and passed the wallet to the guard. We waited there for the guard to clarify with the owner and about 5 mins later, everything was settled and we took the same taxi. When we reached the destination, the taxi driver gave me some discount (couldn't remember how much), because he said he had wasted our time in waiting for him at our guard house for clarification.