Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TAXI driver is it a LOW down job...

Default TAXI driver is it a LOW down job...

Was having a discussion which turned into argument(happens quite often when your married)......i was telling her like maybe in 10 years time when i retire maybe i become taxi driver...she was like WTF is wrong with you...why...paiseh people say u like that what your kids friends think bla bla...so we argued..anyway point is i think its a decent job i mean like any other job you work hard and you get rewarded..idont give a RATS ass what people think of me..i make my own life what...

so bros/sis what you al think of TAXI driving as a form of livelihood...

if i am not wrong...taxi driver in spore is only for citizen...only job left not yet invaded by FT

Quote Originally Posted by paulho77
    if i am not wrong...taxi driver in spore is only for citizen...only job left not yet invaded by FT
    MP and minister too. Wonder why they don't open that up ? Hmmm......

Quote Originally Posted by radha08
    Was having a discussion which turned into argument(happens quite often when your married)......i was telling her like maybe in 10 years time when i retire maybe i become taxi driver...she was like WTF is wrong with you...why...paiseh people say u like that what your kids friends think bla bla...so we argued..anyway point is i think its a decent job i mean like any other job you work hard and you get rewarded..idont give a RATS ass what people think of me..i make my own life what...

Is a decent job, but not rewarding $ wise. You may want to achieve your landed before becoming a taxi driver.

Quote Originally Posted by EBD
    MP and minister too. Wonder why they don't open that up ? Hmmm......
    Guess this is a job opportunity for our retrenched workers.

Driving a taxi is one of my dream jobs.... unfortunately it cannot pay for the things that I desire at this point in my life. It is a job I see myself doing after retiring from what I am doing now. Would probably be nagged by the Wife if I hung around at home all day anyway... might as well go earn some pocket money and do smething that I enjoy ie.... driving.

However as a full-time job, driving a taxi can be quite stressfull. Falling sick or taking holidays can have a big impact on a taxi driver's income..

I know quite a number of blue collared worker who get taxi licence as a back up in case they lose their job. Or they drive taxi to supplement income.
    Actually for yellow top taxi, you can own the taxi if you are doing business. So it can double up as own transport.
    As a form of livelihood, I think it is a hard job.
    But I think it is a decent job.
    Nothing to be paiseh about.

heard there are people who can earn $6k/m

Driving on the road as a taxi driver is different from driving on the road with taxi drivers. Taxi driving is definitely a decent job but its also hard work but sometimes I find taxi drivers exist in a world of their own, cutting lanes and stopping suddenly without warning all in the name of picking up passengers who can also be totally mindless of the traffic conditions... well I guess if I'm a taxi driver myself, I'd be more forgiving towards their behavior.

My dad also wants to be a taxi driver but always kana from my mum. I'd probably drive a taxi as a form of vehicle rental to tide over this period of high motor cost. Then no pressue, just go out and drive for 2 to 3 hours daily and earn a bit to cover the rental cost can liao... Lol!

ur missus is exact opp of me. My hubby is having a pretty stressful job I everyday see him like that I buay ta han.. ask him quit his job n be taxi driver, we dun spend so much loh... he dun want, say it cannot maintain our current lifestyle......

While it is a common sight to see cabs driving into HDB MSC but its quite another sight to see cabs parked inside PCs or in a landed house...

Quote Originally Posted by ysyap
    Driving on the road as a taxi driver is different from driving on the road with taxi drivers. Taxi driving is definitely a decent job but its also hard work but sometimes I find taxi drivers exist in a world of their own, cutting lanes and stopping suddenly without warning all in the name of picking up passengers who can also be totally mindless of the traffic conditions... well I guess if I'm a taxi driver myself, I'd be more forgiving towards their behavior.

My dad also wants to be a taxi driver but always kana from my mum. I'd probably drive a taxi as a form of vehicle rental to tide over this period of high motor cost. Then no pressue, just go out and drive for 2 to 3 hours daily and earn a bit to cover the rental cost can liao... Lol!
    You should try hailing a Taxi in the middle of the road in NYC.

hmm judging from the response its not so bad being a cab driver....can see many many condo/apts and give feedback to the forums........but seriously i would consider it as a retirement source of income...for the moment got to work hard as an engineer and let my head kena knock by boss/director...

Not really a good job due to the long hours..

They have to pay the taxi companies for the taxi rental even when they are sick or want to go for holidays. If the taxi breaks down, the taxi company only pays a nominal fee for every hour lost.. In the end, taxi companies are the ones who profit the most..

there are other health problems like difficult to go toilet often etc..
    not to mention dangerous cos you might meet a robber etc..

the only good thing about it is the flexible working hours..

know someone who drive at 4am and stop at 12pm.....make a decent living with 2nd half day free & easy. must be self contented or even if u are a CEO, u will still think is not enough. as long make a living in legal mean, is a decent job. income level only determine how u should live yr life but dont determine yr pride in your life which is priceless

why not be a security guard in your own condo?
    imagine, you stay in the penthouse, then comedown to work in aircon office.
    and when you do your rounds, can consider that as exercise.

you get paid for seating and walking in your own condo project.
    shiok right?

if people make noise in the middle of the night, don your security guard attire and tell the noisy people to shoo.

Quote Originally Posted by hopeful

shiok right?

if people make noise in the middle of the night, don your security guard attire and tell the noisy people to shoo.

Quote Originally Posted by bigapplefan

They have to pay the taxi companies for the taxi rental even when they are sick or want to go for holidays. If the taxi breaks down, the taxi company only pays a nominal fee for every hour lost.. In the end, taxi companies are the ones who profit the most..

Agree... it is not a good job if you need it to pay the bills.

But if are driving a taxi for Kopi money only... it is an excellent job. It is not difficult to cover the rental of the taxi and fuel, any more you make is your kopi "lui"... happy can don't drive

Quote Originally Posted by hopeful

shiok right?

SUPER LIKE

The fact that you and the others think it is a good retirement job shows that it is not for you as a livelihood.

You need to be very thick skinned to take insults and remarks from snotty passengers who may scold you "stupid", "idiot" and the champion word of all, "moron". But, you are CondoSingapore trained, so should be okay lah..

Psst.. Mr B good sparring partner.
    Last edited by fclim; 27-04-12 at 15:43.

Quote Originally Posted by fclim
    The fact that you and the others think it is a good retirement job shows that it is not for you as a livelihood.

You need to be very thick skinned to take insults and remarks from snotty passengers who may scold you "stupid", "idiot" and the champion word of all, "moron". But, you are CondoSingapore trained, so should be okay lah..

Psst.. Mr B good sparring partner.
    Is it really that common people using those words you mentioned on cabbies??

Quote Originally Posted by Arcachon
    You should try hailing a Taxi in the middle of the road in NYC.
    Care to eleborate... never been to the US...

Quote Originally Posted by bigapplefan

Had this discussion before... taxi companies are the ones driving the taxi charges up up up. Everybody suffer, from taxi drivers to commuters... only taxi companies profit big big...

Quote Originally Posted by carbuncle
    Is it really that common people using those words you mentioned on cabbies??
    Not sure, but told about it by some cabbies when I take their cab. Sometimes, it could be the other way around too..

Quote Originally Posted by fclim
    Not sure, but told about it by some cabbies when I take their cab. Sometimes, it could be the other way around too..
    If thats true it really is appalling... Pay few bucks for a cab service think they are king?!

You can read the book, Diary of a Taxi Driver by Dr Cai Mingjie. Researcher with PhD from Stanford who became a taxi driver for a while.

Everything can write a book these days... Wonder if there will be a Diary of a CondoSingapore Forummer called b****

Quote Originally Posted by carbuncle
    If thats true it really is appalling... Pay few bucks for a cab service think they are king?!
    Real case as told by cabbie: Woman passenger upon reaching certain condo in Mt Sinai said to cabbie "you people can never hope to stay here hor..."

Quote Originally Posted by Rosegarden
    Real case as told by cabbie: Woman passenger upon reaching certain condo in Mt Sinai said to cabbie "you people can never hope to stay here hor..."

Tsk tsk tsk... For all she knows the cabbie quietly smirking away thinking of taking a dip later in his nice 30m private lap pool of his GCB in QAP...