Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Facing west sun....

Default Facing west sun....

Yesterday i did one viewing at a penthouse viewing supposed to be 5pm....about 3pm agent pull stunt call me say she can only make it 7pm...ok...the about 645 she call say she stuck in jam only can come 730pm...ok so i was like WTF is going on...

finally 730 go up and view this penthouse perfect back drop sun was setting....agent pointed to me see ..see sir so beautiful scenery...

then i went up to patio...KNS she forget to tell me sir NO need to take out your shoes...KNN the patio floor BURNING hot feel like those indian go fire walking ceremony....

Now i know why some agent advertise NO WEST sun...

That reminds me of a 3 bedder unit I visited 2 years back. The entire house was burning. Walking inside that unit from room to room is like walking through the baking oven left unattended. Just after 10 mins of viewing, that poor agent in long sleeve shirt was perspiring until sweat dripping profusely like he just bathed with his shirt on! I told him the unit is v hot. He just smiled weakly and said, 'Good for drying clothes' with his clothes all wet... Such was the power of the west sun.

Quote Originally Posted by radha08
    Yesterday i did one viewing at a penthouse viewing supposed to be 5pm....about 3pm agent pull stunt call me say she can only make it 7pm...ok...the about 645 she call say she stuck in jam only can come 730pm...ok so i was like WTF is going on...

finally 730 go up and view this penthouse perfect back drop sun was setting....agent pointed to me see ..see sir so beautiful scenery...

then i went up to patio...KNS she forget to tell me sir NO need to take out your shoes...KNN the patio floor BURNING hot feel like those indian go fire walking ceremony....

Now i know why some agent advertise NO WEST sun...
    For penthouse, whether face north south east west, the roof terrace will be burning hot in the afternoon. Good for drying herbs and spices and sunning the mattress.

Quote Originally Posted by buttercarp
    For penthouse, whether face north south east west, the roof terrace will be burning hot in the afternoon. Good for drying herbs and spices and sunning the mattress.
    Sun tan also good...

Quote Originally Posted by ysyap
    Sun tan also good...
    Ang mo sure like penthouse.

ya i guess so but this one like direct facing west sun...if it was east facing i think impact in the afternoon towards evening would be less...anyway an eye opener for me i generally a ground loving person...but since that advertisment was so enticing decided to take a look...

This kinda of comments only made by buyers who want to buy the unit cheap! Haha!

Office Boy like me can see through it !

Modern technology has improved so much that the rectification of the west sun problem is less than 0.5% of the unit price!

Also, if it means having to turn on the aircon an hour before your reach home, the cost is also negligible la!

Anyway, if the west sun unit has no other special views, then west sun no west sun, typical discount you can find in the market is abt 2-3%. This is the number used by valuers and developers when they price their launches.

Dont believe check it out yourself! After visiting more than 500 showflats, thats more or less the conclusion I get.

DKSG

Quote Originally Posted by radha08
    ya i guess so but this one like direct facing west sun...if it was east facing i think impact in the afternoon towards evening would be less...anyway an eye opener for me i generally a ground loving person...but since that advertisment was so enticing decided to take a look...
    At bedok reservoir?

Quote Originally Posted by Douk
    At bedok reservoir?
    close...simei

Quote Originally Posted by DKSG
    This kinda of comments only made by buyers who want to buy the unit cheap! Haha!

Modern technology has improved so much that the rectification of the west sun problem is less than 0.5% of the unit price!

Also, if it means having to turn on the aircon an hour before your reach home, the cost is also negligible la!

Anyway, if the west sun unit has no other special views, then west sun no west sun, typical discount you can find in the market is abt 2-3%. This is the number used by valuers and developers when they price their launches.

Dont believe check it out yourself! After visiting more than 500 showflats, thats more or less the conclusion I get.

DKSG

500 showflats....what do you do for a living...

DKSG
    I agree with the office boy .
    I not scared of west sun.
    In fact it makes the house looks bright and cheery.
    And the sun set is so romantic!

this is a very dumb agent

Quote Originally Posted by House
    trust me the new ruling by govt to regulate agents has not changed agents much..

Quote Originally Posted by House
    The agent should advise the owner to switch on the aircon few hours prior to the arrival of the viewer.

The agent should advise the owner to switch on the aircon few hours prior to the arrival of the viewer.
    Better still, wait till cloudy day or rainy day..! Tell buyer can check if roof has leakage....

What can be done to reduce the heat in a west facing house (the usual curtain do not seem to be effective)?

Quote Originally Posted by Judas
    What can be done to reduce the heat in a west facing house (the usual curtain do not seem to be effective)?
    sell it, buy a north - south facing unit. The most effective.

You are joking right...

Can you tell me what can effectively rectify the west sun problem... please don't tell me solar fims, 3M films ...etc they don't work.... The films heat up and the glass window feels like a big heated panel.

Time the aircon to turn on before you get home?... OMG what a waste of electricity and resources.

Your talk sounds like typical agent con talk...

DKSG

Actually it is good to have some sun into certain areas of the house like toilets, yard area and balcony.

Quote Originally Posted by Judas
    condo and hdb units cant do much things at all.
    1) ensure windows are open at both ends of the house, so as to enable air circulation. Better effects if you could install a air ventilation fan at the other of the house, less than $10 per mth to have it turned on 24x7.
    2) double glazed windows - costly but it does helps a little.
    3) solar films on windows/glass - make sure it is at least 95% IR. UV rating doesnt reduce heat.

As for landed - it will be too costly to replace the walls with "insulated bricks".

hope this helps

yupz, thats why i say this agent is dumb dumb

[QUOTE=azeoprop]Actually it is good to have some sun into certain areas of the house like toilets, yard area and balcony.
    Morning sun is good enough but not aftn sun. 3m type can only minimise not completely

Default 33? Ouch ouch

Issued on 29-Apr-2012
    Day
    Forecast
    Temperature
    Monday
    Morning thundery showers.
    32/25 Degrees Celsius
    Tuesday
    Late morning and early
    afternoon thundery showers .
    33/25 Degrees Celsius
    Wednesday
    Late morning and early
    afternoon thundery showers .
    33/25 Degrees Celsius

lol!!!!!!!!!!
    I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference.” - Robert Frost quotes (American poet, 1874-1963)

Quote Originally Posted by howgozit
    You are joking right...

Can you tell me what can effectively rectify the west sun problem... please don't tell me solar fims, 3M films ...etc they don't work.... The films heat up and the glass window feels like a big heated panel.

Time the aircon to turn on before you get home?... OMG what a waste of electricity and resources.

Your talk sounds like typical agent con talk...
    I thought the most common one is sun louvres installed outside the house. I see on unit where the sun louvres can be slided so it can shift away from the window and not block your view. I thought it is quite a nice design and looks good on the outside.

Quote Originally Posted by wind30
    I thought the most common one is sun louvres installed outside the house. I see on unit where the sun louvres can be slided so it can shift away from the window and not block your view. I thought it is quite a nice design and looks good on the outside.
    your post give me a thought of build the entire west side of the house with solar panel!

lol!!
    I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference.” - Robert Frost quotes (American poet, 1874-1963)

Quote Originally Posted by roly8
    your post give me a thought of build the entire west side of the house with solar panel!

lol!!
    LIKE!!!!!....

You are right.

The louvre option is the best way to mitigate the sun. The sun has to be stopped outside the house and not thru' solar films which are actually inside the house and retain/emit a great deal of heat into the house. Curtains/blinds...etc don't work either for the same reason.

Landed properties can easily install these louvres. They are both functional and like you mentioned aesthetically pleasing as well. I am using adjustable wooden slatted louvres on some windows and aluminium fixed slatted louvres powder coated to "wood" colour on other windows. For me, it was more for aesthetic and privacy. You are right that it will probably solve the problem of the sun to a large extent.

But condos will have a problem having these installed as it will not be allowed by the MC.... some better designed condos I noticed like The Elliot at East Coast have incorporated these louvres on the west facing unit windows.

Quote Originally Posted by wind30

when buying properties, beware that u can't run away from the noise (facing room, children playground), heat, and smell (bin centre)

Quote Originally Posted by howgozit
    You are right.

The louvre option is the best way to mitigate the sun. The sun has to be stopped outside the house and not thru' solar films which are actually inside the house and retain/emit a great deal of heat into the house. Curtains/blinds...etc don't work either for the same reason.

Landed properties can easily install these louvres. They are both functional and like you mentioned aesthetically pleasing as well. I am using adjustable wooden slatted louvres on some windows and aluminium fixed slatted louvres powder coated to "wood" colour on other windows. For me, it was more for aesthetic and privacy. You are right that it will probably solve the problem of the sun to a large extent.

But condos will have a problem having these installed as it will not be allowed by the MC.... some better designed condos I noticed like The Elliot at East Coast have incorporated these louvres on the west facing unit windows.
    Isnt those worse... If you sitting there you not only get tanned unknowingly your tan become one line one line... Turn into either Bee or Jailbird