Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Are top floor units usually hot?

Default Are top floor units usually hot?

Hi, I have been advised to avoid top floor units because there is a risk of leaking over time and they can get hot due to the noon sun "cooking" the roof. Any comments on this?

I am considering a top floor unit for own stay........

Quote Originally Posted by mm63
    Hi, I have been advised to avoid top floor units because there is a risk of leaking over time and they can get hot due to the noon sun "cooking" the roof. Any comments on this?

Dun buy top floor cos what you have said it is really true..

Could be worse if it is also west facing.

But no noisy neighbours upstairs. I used to have a family with kids living upstairs and it was very noisy.

Are those penthouses on the 30-40th floor hot as well?

I have the same query as you before, asked some agents, and they use the analogy of wearing a hat. If you have someone 'on top' of you to block the sun, its always cooler ... But personally i think having nearby tall buildings is a more effective way of shielding from the sun, just imagine if you are a lone block under the full impact of the sun

Quote Originally Posted by mm63

High ceiling or roofing may be able to mitigate some of the heat concerns. E.g. Some hdb flats in bishan or potong pasir have those angled roof that sets a generous gap between the actual roof and the ceiling of the unit.

whole house will be "HEAT sterilized" + kills all the germs on you when return home from work/biz.

Quote Originally Posted by property_finder
    Could be worse if it is also west facing.
    Top floor i heard don't need to see facing. Any facing is the same. all hot.

Quote Originally Posted by Kanarazu
    High ceiling or roofing may be able to mitigate some of the heat concerns. E.g. Some hdb flats in bishan or potong pasir have those angled roof that sets a generous gap between the actual roof and the ceiling of the unit.
    wow, was that the reason why they built all these slanted HDB blocks in the past?

No difference if you stay in aircon room all day long.

Most modern projects are designed with curved or slant steel sheets roofing to ease overheating for top floor units. If it makes a difference in view between top and floor below, then get it. Else floor below top is best choice.

Quote Originally Posted by carbuncle
    Most modern projects are designed with curved or slant steel sheets roofing to ease overheating for top floor units.
    Not for penthouses.

Quote Originally Posted by buttercarp
    No difference if you stay in aircon room all day long.
    Once, I visited an MM showflat around 3pm and it was built west facing. The developer used overlapping blinds but the agents somehow forgot to turn the blinds to block out light. Thus I did the favor and it felt very warm just to stand near the window, even with blinds turned and aircon on.

I checked before leaving at 6pm and it was still very warm near the window area. West sun is no joke....especially for MMs.

Those are pitched roof meant to hide water tank, keep top roof unit cooled & reduce risk of water leakage.
    Quote Originally Posted by price
    wow, was that the reason why they built all these slanted HDB blocks in the past?

Those are radiant heat. Less from wall than window in the day. But wall west facing wall will absorb them & radiant them at night to room.
    Quote Originally Posted by property_finder
    Once, I visited an MM showflat around 3pm and it was built west facing. The developer used overlapping blinds but the agents somehow forgot to turn the blinds to block out light. Thus I did the favor and it felt very warm just to stand near the window, even with blinds turned and aircon on.

I checked before leaving at 6pm and it was still very warm near the window area. West sun is no joke....especially for MMs.

Very true, my family is currently staying in top floor of condo, the whole
    unit is hot like an oven, even with 2 ceiling fans on (whole day) !

Quote Originally Posted by ahsoh88
    Try exploring exhaust fan at top if you can install one as hot air rises. Having ceiling is no good as you are pushing warm air now.

Quote Originally Posted by ahsoh88
    have to on aircon as well to cool the air but cool at low fan mode. let the ceiling fan circulate the air

Quote Originally Posted by Komo
    have to on aircon as well to cool the air but cool at low fan mode. let the ceiling fan circulate the air
    An expensive affair. Usually buys 2nd top most floors of development.

Quote Originally Posted by DC33_2008
    Those are radiant heat. Less from wall than window in the day. But wall west facing wall will absorb them & radiant them at night to room.
    Which is worse then for radiant heat, window or wall? Do different types of wall matter i.e. brick or prefab wall? I find my west facing prefab wall are ok perhaps because of the windy conditions outside taking away the heat.

For newer HDBs (those build starting about 10 years ago) already have shielding on the roof who cuts out heat quite effectively.

PC, not sure, but it depends on how honest the developer is.

West Sun, die die must avoid. Not only just West Sun to Windows, but also to Walls. In fact wall one is worst, no way to block when the heat start to be release from the wall at night. If really like the unit so much, then windows, you can try those sun screen (remember don't get the lousy cheap ones), the good ones can shield off above 90% of the sun but it comes with a price tag and also your wish to balance the % and the brightness / darkness in the room. Curtain can also serve as a secondary shield.

For top floor, the worst enemy is the building skill no good, leaking of water during raining days comes in, this is the nightmare.

Quote Originally Posted by DC33_2008
    An expensive affair. Usually buys 2nd top most floors of development.
    me staying in this level... hehehe
    I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference.” - Robert Frost quotes (American poet, 1874-1963)

Are there people who bought a unit and then realise (shockingly!!!) that it is West facing?

Quote Originally Posted by pinkpolkadot
    Are there people who bought a unit and then realise (shockingly!!!) that it is West facing?
    never verify the site plan & other details properly is it?
    I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference.” - Robert Frost quotes (American poet, 1874-1963)

Quote Originally Posted by roly8
    never verify the site plan & other details properly is it?
    Just wonder whether there are such buyers?

Ang mo buyers possibly. Who are so excited about having SUN in their lives that they underestimate the power of the equatorial sun. (they don't see the sun much in certain countries....so the thought of having sun is very fantastic to them......notwithstanding that their skin type is prone to skin cancer......)

maybe they are unaware that west side facing's sun is the hottest..

Quote Originally Posted by roly8
    maybe they are unaware that west side facing's sun is the hottest..
    That is rule #1 for buying a property....

Diffused solar radiation is a lot more than direct radiation as it is cloudy most of the time in singapore. Glass is worst than wait in heat transfer characteristic. Glass allows short wave radiation into the room and it becomes long wave radiation that is trapped in the apt. Just like greenhouse effect. Better no to have too much glass facing the west facade. Wall will be preferred with better heat resistance characteristic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kanarazu
    Which is worse then for radiant heat, window or wall? Do different types of wall matter i.e. brick or prefab wall? I find my west facing prefab wall are ok perhaps because of the windy conditions outside taking away the heat.