Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: CapitaLand CEO Calls Shoebox Apartments Inhuman

Default CapitaLand CEO Calls Shoebox Apartments Inhuman

CapitaLand CEO Calls Shoebox Apartments Inhuman: Southeast Asia
    By Pooja Thakur and Haslinda Amin - 2012-05-23T16:00:01Z

Singapore should curb the increasing trend of so-called shoebox apartments because they are “almost inhuman,” CapitaLand Ltd. (CAPL) Chief Executive Officer Liew Mun Leong said.

The government last week said it’s concerned that shoebox apartments are mushrooming in the city-state as private home sales surged to a three-year high with record purchases of units that are smaller than 50 square meters (538 square feet).

“I am dead against shoebox developments,” Liew said in an interview at the downtown Singapore headquarters of Southeast Asia’s biggest developer. “The government should intervene. Singapore’s land is very precious and you are wasting your scarce resources” by building shoebox apartments.

The island-state’s population growth, scarce land and surging property values have prompted developers to shrink apartment space. Home prices surged to a record at the end of 2011 in a city that’s about half the size of Los Angeles.

The government may introduce measures to regulate the sale of shoebox apartments after a record number were sold in the first quarter, Khaw Boon Wan, Singapore’s National Development minister, said in Parliament on May 14.

Developers sold 1,764 shoebox units in the first quarter, or 27 percent of all home sales, the most since the Urban Redevelopment Authority began collating the data in 2007. Apartments that cost less than S$750,000 ($587,000) made up 42 percent of new home sales in the first quarter, up from 25 percent in the previous three months, the data showed.

‘Almost Inhuman’

“It’s almost inhuman, it’s not good for the welfare of the family to feel that constrained,” said Liew, 65, who grew up in a one-bedroom apartment with nine people and often slept along the corridor.

At CapitaLand’s latest project, the 509-unit apartment in a central Singapore suburb designed by architect Moshe Safdie, the smallest homes are one-bedroom units measuring 710 square feet. Liew said Singapore should impose a minimum size for homes.

Singapore developers built smaller apartments in the first quarter, with median size of homes shrinking 24 percent to 667 square feet, according to CBRE Group Inc. Median prices for the period slid 18 percent to S$786,340, it said.

The government has been attempting to rein in prices since 2009 when it barred interest-only loans for some projects and stopped allowing developers to absorb interest payments for apartments still being built. In December, it imposed additional taxes of as much as 10 percent on home purchases.

CapitaLand shares have risen 11 percent since the start of the year, twice the 5.1 percent gain in the Singapore benchmark Straits Times Index. (FSSTI)

Suburban Demand

Government controls haven’t slowed housing transactions in Singapore, driven by suburban projects, Liew said. He reiterated the company’s aim to sell as many as 1,000 homes annually over the next two to three years.

“We don’t think we have an issue with” the target, he said. “If you’re aiming for the high-end, central core areas like Orchard Road, the numbers will not be so optimistic. If you’re selling to the mass market, then the demand is still there.”

The next set of curbs may be targeted at the smaller apartments, said Wilson Liew, Singapore-based analyst at Maybank Kim Eng Holdings Ltd.

“The Singapore government will first address the ‘shoebox unit’ phenomenon,” he said. “More measures are on the way.”

Singapore may limit the number of shoebox units to 10 percent of each development, especially for projects in the suburbs, he said. The government could also set the minimum size for apartments at 50 square meters to ensure the quality of life isn’t compromised, the analyst said.

Not Unique

The trend of shoebox units may not be unique to the city- state, said Pratik Burman Ray, an analyst at HSBC Holdings Plc in Singapore. Philippine developers have built homes smaller than 20 square meters, while those in Thailand and Indonesia are less than 35 square meters, he said. In Hong Kong, apartments smaller than 500 square feet house two or three people, he said.

“I wonder if this phenomenon is Singapore specific or a shift in buyer preference, and then the question is should it be regulated at all,” Ray said. “What’s needed is greater transparency to protect home buyers, which is perhaps more critical.”

Developers will be required to provide more information including floor plans that reflect the actual size of the apartments, Khaw said. Model homes should also depict the units “accurately,” he said, adding that the changes will be introduced in the second half when the law is passed.

CapitaLand is lobbying against the shoebox units, said Liew, citing a recent visit to a 400-square-foot unit in Hong Kong.

“I used to joke that when I sat on the sofa, I don’t need the remote control to switch on the TV, I use my toes,” he said. “If you build 200 square feet, 300 square feet for a family of two or three, you might as well stay in a box. There needs to be some degree of comfort level.”

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-0...east-asia.html

i think $1700psf for suburban apartment is also inhuman.

ikan bilis is offline i'm Buaya ! Girls BEWARE !!...

*deleted... same repeated post ...

Quote Originally Posted by Poloclub
    SUPER SUPER SUPER LIKE

“I used to joke that when I sat
    on the sofa, I don’t need the
    remote control to switch on
    the TV, I use my toes,” he
    said.
    HOW DARE HE COPY WHAT I SAID!!!! He must be trolling this forum. Watch out...

Shoebox reminded him of his childhood. I think MM shd b banned

MR LIEW motivations are obvious - to cut off the smaller MM builder competitors who steadily eating his pie causing his DLeedon and Sky Habitat problems in selling out...

Quote Originally Posted by carbuncle
    “I used to joke that when I sat
    on the sofa, I don’t need the
    remote control to switch on
    the TV, I use my toes,” he
    said.
    HOW DARE HE COPY WHAT I SAID!!!! He must be trolling this forum. Watch out...
    mebbe he will publish it in his next book....better claim copyright !!!!

What is new? As usual, Government not taking proactive steps. Why did the Government allow 9,000 showbox units to be built, before they warn people that such units are not tested????? If they are so concerned, they shouldn't have approved the plan.

Quote Originally Posted by Poloclub
    bishan is under Central Region..

Quote Originally Posted by proper-t
    mebbe he will publish it in his next book....better claim copyright !!!!
    Ya man. I also said just stretch out my arm can turn on the lights liao. Lets see if he write that in the book!!!!

Let see how much he is going to bid for the Jurong East Plot...no more bullet liao?

Having said that, i do agree shoebox is too small for a family. A couple at max max. No no if got kids etc. 200-300sf only fit for one max max.

Developers who build all MMs in a project are really unscrupulous!

I actually feel very comfortable living in a small space....I wonder why Mr Liew thinks that I will be very comfortable in a large one.

Also, I actually never quite understand statements such as "Singapore’s land is very precious and you are wasting your scarce resources” by building shoebox apartments." ? ........so how does a MM waste scarce resources again?

A MM is considered to be anything below 538 sq.m. Is this strata area they are referring to? Including the balcony and a/d ledge, etc, right? So if 540sq.m. it is not an MM any more?

Quote Originally Posted by fclim
    Developers who build all MMs in a project are really unscrupulous!
    Maximize profits without consideration for quality of living lor. But hotels also same right? Yet they pride on being very hospitable? So its all the mindset. If you bought MM developments with a mentality that its just a cheaper version of hotel without the service etc than it should be all right Isnt it.

Quote Originally Posted by DLiauw
    I actually feel very comfortable living in a small space....I wonder why Mr Liew thinks that I will be very comfortable in a large one.

Also, I actually never quite understand statements such as "Singapore’s land is very precious and you are wasting your scarce resources” by building shoebox apartments." ? ........so how does a MM waste scarce resources again?

A MM is considered to be anything below 538 sq.m. Is this strata area they are referring to? Including the balcony and a/d ledge, etc, right? So if 540sq.m. it is not an MM any more?
    are you referring to yourself alone or family? a single person living in a 500sqft unit is alright, if not more than sufficient. for a family with 1-2 kids, it's 'almost inhuman'.

To a developer, building MMs, that sells at ridiculously high psf, is more profitable than large units (for obvious reasons). If we take into account the dire need to increase fertility rate, then building MMs ain't helping.

Quote Originally Posted by eng81157
    are you referring to yourself alone or family? a single person living in a 500sqft unit is alright, if not more than sufficient. for a family with 1-2 kids, it's 'almost inhuman'.

To a developer, building MMs, that sells at ridiculously high psf, is more profitable than large units (for obvious reasons). If we take into account the dire need to increase fertility rate, then building MMs ain't helping.
    I think the singles who have the option to move out on their own is also good since the relationships may get sour if continue to cramp in a otherwise overly crowded home. Its also good in a way for the single to grow up and mature faster thereby increase likelihood of finding a partner to marry and have babies sooner. So i dont see why MM as an option is socially detrimental.

I think the singles who have the option to move out on their own is also good since the relationships may get sour if continue to cramp in a otherwise overly crowded home. Its also good in a way for the single to grow up and mature faster thereby increase likelihood of finding a partner to marry and have babies sooner. So i dont see why MM as an option is socially detrimental.
    imagine having 2 kids in an MM? that would be as what you have described, cramping in a crowded home.

I am not defending shoebox but what talking liew? If he talk about land scarce singapore, shouldn't units be smaller instead of bigger? Also these shoebox units are not meant for families, maybe just for singles or couples. Some people might think 7xxsft one bedr is waste of space coz this size could actually have two rooms instead of just one. Some ppl might not even want that extra space to clean and maintain. Mickey mouse lovers won't see eye to eye with his comments.

If starta land can be regulated for landed property, then I'm not surprise if they also come out with min sqm for those smallest unit. Then in future, those who buy those earlier smaller mm will have problem selling as ppl will have more choices... Just my view...

Maximize profits without consideration for quality of living lor. But hotels also same right? Yet they pride on being very hospitable? So its all the mindset. If you bought MM developments with a mentality that its just a cheaper version of hotel without the service etc than it should be all right Isnt it.
    Hotel is for staying. MMs is for living.. hehe.

ikan bilis is offline i'm Buaya ! Girls BEWARE !!...

bros... cool down lah...
    that one is big boss,... and from big-developer/govt/city-planner point of view...

mm for 2 persons, 35sqm for 2 or 17.5 sqm/person
    2bdr for 4 persons, 60sqm for 4 or 15 sqm/person
    3bdr for 6 persons, 77sqm for 6 or 12.8 sqm/person

77sqm based on belysa 3bdr, all can fit in double bed..

is quite "right" to say mm wasting precious land...

Quote Originally Posted by Regulators
    I am not defending shoebox but what talking liew? If he talk about land scarce singapore, shouldn't units be smaller instead of bigger? Also these shoebox units are not meant for families, maybe just for singles or couples. Some people might think 7xxsft one bedr is waste of space coz this size could actually have two rooms instead of just one. Some ppl might not even want that extra space to clean and maintain. Mickey mouse lovers won't see eye to eye with his comments.
    let's see if capland can resist the temptation to build MMs in any of their developments

Quote Originally Posted by DLiauw
    for me minimum is 2 bedder, with rooms that fit queen size bed. Rooms that can only fit twin beds should be classified as +1 instead of bedroom.

actually having a newborn in an MM is ideal.
    Boil water, make milk and run to a crying baby all just a hop or skip.
    Afterall a new-born can't tell the difference between a 70sf room or one that is 300sf.

imagine having 2 kids in an MM? that would be as what you have described, cramping in a crowded home.

Quote Originally Posted by gn108
    actually having a newborn in an MM is ideal.
    Boil water, make milk and run to a crying baby all just a hop or skip.
    Afterall a new-born can't tell the difference between a 70sf room or one that is 300sf.
    try imaging having 2 five-year olds in a MM?

Actually liew is damn stupid, he is in the business of building homes, by saying that, he is cutting himself off one segment of the lucrative market. Also, if investors can get a 4xxsqft one bedr and rent for $3k a month, why would they want to buy a 7xxsft unit that fetch the same rental rate and pay a couple of hundred thousand more?
    let's see if capland can resist the temptation to build MMs in any of their developments

Agree. Its hard to time the market that when your kids are grown, you sure the MM can sell without loss plus able to buy new bigger unit without forking out extra?

time to upgrade when the child says "daddy, why i can see you where ever I am!"...