Thread: lOCATION OF WATER STORAGE tANKS

Default lOCATION OF WATER STORAGE tANKS

For new low-rise condos (say 5 storeys), are the water storage tanks usually on the top of highest floor? meaning the highest floor is risky to water leakage from such tanks? What is the risk like?

Quote Originally Posted by ccsee
    For new low-rise condos (say 5 storeys), are the water storage tanks usually on the top of highest floor? meaning the highest floor is risky to water leakage from such tanks? What is the risk like?
    Depend on the water pressure, water pump. Some low rise do not need water tank on the top floor.

Water must be gushing out of the tank and filling up the whole roof before your top floor unit will get any leakage...

all the buildings have the water tank on top floor regardless it is 5 or 15 or 100 storeys right?

i would think the risk of the water leak is very small.. How often you heard the news of water tank leak in Singapore? but if you own the top floor penthouse, i guess it might has some noise when the pump working to pump up the water into the water tank.

Quote Originally Posted by Arcachon
    Depend on the water pressure, water pump. Some low rise do not need water tank on the top floor.
    agreed on this. I guess most landed or low rise get the water supply from nearby water tower. However, disadvantage is the low water pressure??

Highest floor faced the risk of water seepage , but not from water tank but from the failed water proofing on the roof...
    Usually water tank is installed and relied on gravity flow to the tap as part of the conservation of energy. The pump will activate once the water reached a low level, other then that is function is to pump the water to the roof..
    Some unit near the pump room face some noise expercially at night

Authority's water main pressure is very high. It can ensure reasonable pressure up to 5th storey of most buildings unless it is located on a higher ground. Decision on either Direct or indirect (use of watertank) is usually based on the height of building above mean sea level.
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthernStar
    agreed on this. I guess most landed or low rise get the water supply from nearby water tower. However, disadvantage is the low water pressure??

Leakage not common. We have other worries...

Foreign workers bathe in water tanks after sex
    AsiaOne
    Wed, Jun 08, 2011

Worries about drinking from a tainted water tank in which an Indonesian maid's body was found may have subsided, but some Woodlands residents have now revealed that they believe foreign workers are using the water stored in rooftop water tanks to bathe themselves.

Lianhe Wanbao reported that about 150 residents gathered at a dialogue session with the Sembawang Town Council management and representatives from the Public Utilities Board (PUB).

Some residents claimed that they have seen workers emerging from the rooftop water tank room with bathing towels. Residents also believe that the workers have brought women to the water tank room for sexual trysts, and that the men bathe in the tanks after having sex.

Security measures to restrict access to water tanks on the rooftops of HDB flats became widely discussed after an Indonesian maid was murdered, and her body was subsequently discovered in a water tank in Block 686B of Woodlands Drive 73.

A Bangladeshi maintenance worker has already been charged with the murder that occured on May 16, 2011.

Quote Originally Posted by DC33_2008
    Authority's water main pressure is very high. It can ensure reasonable pressure up to 5th storey of most buildings unless it is located on a higher ground. Decision on either Direct or indirect (use of watertank) is usually based on the height of building above mean sea level.
    I see.. Thks for the info.

My experiences in Malaysia stay is: during evening time when there is high usage of water, the water tower can't supply water in time as the pumps are not powerful enough to pump up the water into the tank. Never heard landed owners complaint here. So, I guess it should b ok here.

Emm.. how often forumers see the water tower in Singapore? I guess I only see it at marsilling area near the BKE exits. Or those low rise get the water from nearby HDB blocks??