Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cemeteries before, homes to die for now

Default Cemeteries before, homes to die for now

http://www.straitstimes.com/Money/St...ry_808868.html

Cemeteries before, homes to die for now

Booming estates Tiong Bahru, Bishan and Orchard once housed graveyards

Published on Jun 9, 2012

By Esther Teo, Property Reporter

SOME home buyers may be feeling a little squeamish about living at former cemetery Bidadari once it is redeveloped.

But property industry experts had this reminder for Singaporeans: Various high-profile residential areas share a similar history.

For instance, some apartments in mid- to high-end districts such as Bishan, Orchard and Tiong Bahru were formerly occupied by cemeteries, they say.

They add that some Chinese buyers might even see such sites as auspicious as burying ancestors in grounds with good fengshui is thought by some to bring blessings to future generations.

These experts noted that with the passage of time, the former use of a site is often forgotten, with the home's value unaffected.

The issue came to the fore recently when the Government announced that work on the new town, Bidadari, will start by the year end, paving the way for 12,000 new homes to be built there.

The graves in Bidadari, near Potong Pasir, were exhumed in 2001 to make way for housing.

Singapore is dotted with former cemeteries. In 1952, available records indicated that there were 229 registered burial grounds, including many small ones that have since been exhumed.

In land-scarce Singapore, it has been essential to use such sites for housing development.

In 1981, for instance, the Housing Board (HDB) exhumed graves in Peck San Theng, in what is now Bishan, to make way for flats and light industry.

But despite their past solemn uses, these areas remain some of the choicest HDB estates due to their city fringe location.

Even bustling Ngee Ann City mall on Singapore's best known shopping strip used to be the site of an old cemetery. The former Tai Shan Ting cemetery was bounded by Orchard, Paterson and Grange Roads.

The site of the former Teochew cemetery includes the Ion Orchard mall, upscale apartments at The Orchard Residences and the Orchard MRT station, noted Associate Professor Sing Tien Foo of the National University of Singapore's department of real estate.

But buyers seem to have taken scant notice of its history.

The latest sale for The Orchard Residences, in January, was transacted at $4,057 per sq ft (psf) while the record price achieved was $5,000 psf in July 2007.

International Property Advisor chief executive Ku Swee Yong said that while the first few blocks of homes to be built on such sites might face some buyer resistance, there is little stigma for subsequent projects once a population catchment is established.

'Of course, your market size is reduced by those who are pantang, but if the location is good, it is likely to outweigh the superstition factor,' he said, referring to the Malay word for taboo or superstitious.

While most of his clients do not inquire much about the history of a land plot, they do occasionally take along a fengshui master and interior designer during subsequent viewings, Mr Ku said.

But Prof Sing acknowledged that with rapid urbanisation, the history of land use quite often becomes lost in the mists of time.

'It is difficult to verify the original land use of the site and many younger generations have probably no memory of the past,' he said.

R'ST Research director Ong Kah Seng noted that many sites here were once filled with a distinctive or sad past.

But home buyers should be forward-looking, looking at a site's upcoming potential and taking into account the location, rejuvenation plans and new infrastructure planned for the estate, he said.

Other housing estates in Singapore also have interesting histories a world away from housing.

For instance, Potong Pasir used to house prawn and pig farms while Punggol was a largely agricultural area, SLP International research head Nicholas Mak noted.

[email protected]

good news for Flamingo Valley's buyers?

if not landed house is ok ...?
    last time bishan has many ghost stories

sh*t land also turn into gold land..
    that is how good our govt. marketing team is
    I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference.” - Robert Frost quotes (American poet, 1874-1963)

It also depends on the location of the cemeteries. Most of them are in CBD and in city fringe.

yawn ... start work this year, first BTO many years ahead .. yawn yawn, by then Punggol is FULL ... and this place going to sell about 500k for 90sqm HDB ... it is going to be slow ... what is on Khaw's mind, running out of better located HDBs for 2nd timers??

I think they will never have any CM for resale HDB judging from their action to promote 2nd timers buying BTOs at better location like McNair Tower recently ... mostly affordable to 2nd timers only
    Ride at your own risk !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Komo
    if not landed house is ok ...?
    last time bishan has many ghost stories
    This makes me recall the time when I was staying in Bishan about 12 yrs back. When I first shifted in, I could smell some horrible smell, someone told me that that was the farm's smell because my area was formerly a farm. Then when my daughter was about 3-4 yrs old, she said she saw a "barbie doll" sitting at the window looking at her, sometimes she also said that there was a lady with long hair staying in front of her bed, WA, thinking about it, my hair also stands. My husband and I also saw a dark shadow "zoom out" from one of the rooms in the middle of the night. But I think as there are more and more people occupying this area, those "things" also get scared and have to give way.

Quote Originally Posted by phantom_opera
    yawn ... start work this year, first BTO many years ahead .. yawn yawn, by then Punggol is FULL ... and this place going to sell about 500k for 90sqm HDB ... it is going to be slow ... what is on Khaw's mind, running out of better located HDBs for 2nd timers??

I think they will never have any CM for resale HDB judging from their action to promote 2nd timers buying BTOs at better location like McNair Tower recently ... mostly affordable to 2nd timers only
    Went to my mother-in-law's house yesterday, saw a flyer for the resale of 3 rooms HDB flats, 57sqm valued at S$365k. BTW, my in-law is staying somewhere near Tiong Bahru Plaza since Yr 196x.

Quote Originally Posted by irisng
    This makes me recall the time when I was staying in Bishan about 12 yrs back. When I first shifted in, I could smell some horrible smell, someone told me that that was the farm's smell because my area was formerly a farm. Then when my daughter was about 3-4 yrs old, she said she saw a "barbie doll" sitting at the window looking at her, sometimes she also said that there was a lady with long hair staying in front of her bed, WA, thinking about it, my hair also stands. My husband and I also saw a dark shadow "zoom out" from one of the rooms in the middle of the night. But I think as there are more and more people occupying this area, those "things" also get scared and have to give way.
    U r kidding right. That bad?

So r u still staying there today?

Not restricted to Bishan lah... my friend staying in Hougang also got similarly strange experiences. His elder sister can see stuff. One day, when he was studying in his bedroom late in the night, his sister shouted to him from his bedroom door, demanding that he step out of the room immediately. Irritated, he reluctantly obliged, only to discover from his sister that there was an angry 'elderly man' sitting at the corner of the room staring at him when he was studying. Btw, my friend cannot see that 'man'...

Quote Originally Posted by ysyap
    Not restricted to Bishan lah... my friend staying in Hougang also got similarly strange experiences. His elder sister can see stuff. One day, when he was studying in his bedroom late in the night, his sister shouted to him from his bedroom door, demanding that he step out of the room immediately. Irritated, he reluctantly obliged, only to discover from his sister that there was an angry 'elderly man' sitting at the corner of the room staring at him when he was studying. Btw, my friend cannot see that 'man'...
    Aiyoyo... Why u all tell such stories in the nite...

Quote Originally Posted by TheOnlyGayInTheVillage
    Got gay type also?

Last time when I stayed in Bedok South Ave 3, my bro said he saw a glowing light. He said it was not scary, he felt very reassured by that light.
    Then when I entered the room, it disappeared.

Quote Originally Posted by buttercarp
    Last time when I stayed in Bedok South Ave 3, my bro said he saw a glowing light. He said it was not scary, he felt very reassured by that light.
    Then when I entered the room, it disappeared.
    http://www.medterms.com/script/main/...rticlekey=7024

Is your link scary?
    If scary, I don't dare open it.
    Can you please give a brief intro?
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by buttercarp
    Is your link scary?
    If scary, I don't dare open it.
    Can you please give a brief intro?
    Thanks.
    Sometimes we see things or lights because of medical conditions...

I see many things in my dream also, and they are so real to me. I can sometimes got very upset, cry, panic or be very happy.

We see with our brain lah. The eyes are just receptors.

Quote Originally Posted by hyenergix
    Got gay type also?
    Wat u mean? Ghosts that assault u from the back?

Quote Originally Posted by hyenergix
    Sometimes we see things or lights because of medical conditions...

I see many things in my dream also, and they are so real to me. I can sometimes got very upset, cry, panic or be very happy.

We see with our brain lah. The eyes are just receptors.
    I only get emotional dreams when i stressed. Usually the emotion is fear or sadness.

Wat u mean? Ghosts that assault u from the back?
    U never know! Juz check ur backside more freq for mysterious bruises

I've also heard of creepy stories at Bukit Batok when the town was newly built. But seems ok now after more people move in..

Quote Originally Posted by surfuz
    I've also heard of creepy stories at Bukit Batok when the town was newly built. But seems ok now after more people move in..
    There were quite a few drowning incidents when little Guilin was new.

Quote Originally Posted by 5577
    There were quite a few drowning incidents when little Guilin was new.
    I rembered that... ! It was like the Bedok resv now

U r kidding right. That bad?
    No joke, it is true. I'm not a story-teller.

So r u still staying there today?
    Shifted out long ago but not because of those "things', it is because we want to upgrade.

Ya, it can happen anywhere. Previously my friend's brother got an accident and was admitted to hospital, at night he saw a young boy sitting at the corner of his hospital bed looking at him. Few days later, he was discharged and went back to his Jurong West HDB flat, again he saw the same boy sitting at the corner of his bed looking at him, so scary.

... at night don't stay/loiter around lobby or void deck area

I've heard advice of not looking upwards at the trees at night.

Quote Originally Posted by surfuz
    I've heard advice of not looking upwards at the trees at night.
    Bcoz bats might poo onto ur face?

Nope... might see white figures jumping from branch to branch..

Btw, in Chinese context, bats r supposed to be good? Maybe western culture took over... it doesn't look auspicious now.