Thread: There's value in shoebox units

Many supporters around...

THERE have been some recent negative reports about shoebox units ('Tiny 'shoebox', big questions'; Monday), and calls for the Government to limit their numbers. The most common reason cited is that they are too small for families.

Shoebox units have been built since 2007, and the response to them has been so good that developers are building more of them. There are several reasons for this.

First, their prices are within reach of the middle classes and senior citizens. Such units offer them one of the best ways to invest their spare cash.
    Second, their prices are equivalent to those of some four- and five-room HDB flats. Singaporeans families would prefer to live in HDB flats and buy the shoebox units for investment purposes.

Third, HDB flat owners are not allowed to buy a second flat for investment purposes, so these shoebox units offer a good alternative.

In recent years, paltry bank interest rates and volatile stocks have offered poor returns. So investors buy shoebox units as a hedge against inflation.
    These units can be easily leased out to single professionals, and the rentals provide the owners with better returns. Should they sell the units in future, they also stand to make good profits.

Shoebox apartments have their value. Instead of limiting their construction, the Government should let the market decide.

Mei Ding (Ms)

With the recent flood in positive responses, i think Crapland and Wing Die heads now need to bury in ground liao. Instead of people showing support, they came out to oppose their statements. The opp effect as they expected.

I think the Government should set a minimum of 450 sq ft for studio and 650 sq ft for 2 bedders. 3xx sq ft is only fit for my dog as I have always said.

Some people also say there is no value in Coupes!

Well, it's a free market, that's all I can say.

teddybear is offline Global recession is coming....

Small cars like Kia picanto & cherry & kancil also fit for dogs & You should ask govt to ban them?

Quote Originally Posted by thomastansb
    I think the Government should set a minimum of 450 sq ft for studio and 650 sq ft for 2 bedders. 3xx sq ft is only fit for my dog as I have always said.

Quote Originally Posted by teddybear
    Small cars like Kia picanto & cherry & kancil also fit for dogs & You should ask govt to ban them?
    Always let the free market decide. Everyone has different needs and requirements.

Quote Originally Posted by thomastansb
    I've seen a 614 sq ft 2 bedder that is space efficient and supports 2 queen size beds, 3 seater sofa, 4 seat dining set and a nice computer desk in the living room and some 1.5m wide cabinets in living room. It has one toilet and corridor space is shared with the open kitchen freeing up 100sq ft of space otherwise used for 2nd bathroom and an enclosed kitchen.. Livable or not is all about how space is planned and utilized and most importantly meeting the buyer's requirements.

Quote Originally Posted by Kanarazu
    I've seen a 614 sq ft 2 bedder that is space efficient and supports 2 queen size beds, 3 seater sofa, 4 seat dining set and a nice computer desk in the living room and some 1.5m wide cabinets in living room. It has one toilet and corridor space is shared with the open kitchen freeing up 100sq ft of space otherwise used for 2nd bathroom and an enclosed kitchen.. Livable or not is all about how space is planned and utilized and most importantly meeting the buyer's requirements.
    ...sounds like Hillier?