Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stop shoebox apartment bashing

Default Stop shoebox apartment bashing

Stop shoebox apartment bashing

From Leona Lo 04:45 AM Jun 14, 2012

I thank Mr Conrad Raj for speaking up, in his commentary "Not too small for comfort" (June 7), for small apartment dwellers like me, my husband and our two cats.

We are renting a 43-sq-m house and will move to a similar-sized private apartment in 2014. We love our cosy dwelling, which we can easily spring-clean without having to rely on domestic help. The space constraint curbs indulgence in unnecessary household goods.

Amid the outburst by the CEO of a prominent property developer and the hostility to small apartments by some analysts, I ask this question: "How is it any of your business if you are not paying for my mortgage?"

Small apartment dwellers can live comfortably, too. Please respect this.

/todayonline

ikan bilis is offline i'm Buaya ! Girls BEWARE !!...

no bashing, but kar-chiu/kacau a bit can or not ??..

Actually I dun wan to say one....but hor... I know the reason why MM is very popular and in demand- much to the contrary expectation of many locals. They do not understand the mechanics of MMs which had existed for many years overseas lor.....Should I tell or should I not reveal to you guys the reason leh .....? Hmmmmmm... I think better dun say la.

Eh... Smaller and cheaper is easier to makan? Sell in 10 days instead of like 100 days?

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by blackjack21trader
    Actually I dun wan to say one....but hor... I know the reason why MM is very popular and in demand- much to the contrary expectation of many locals. They do not understand the mechanics of MMs which had existed for many years overseas lor.....Should I tell or should I not reveal to you guys the reason leh .....? Hmmmmmm... I think better dun say la.
    Shhh... Let them carry on bashing.

shoebox is really small

it shape like a shoe..
    I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference.” - Robert Frost quotes (American poet, 1874-1963)

Quote Originally Posted by TheOnlyGayInTheVillage
    Stop shoebox apartment bashing

From Leona Lo 04:45 AM Jun 14, 2012

I thank Mr Conrad Raj for speaking up, in his commentary "Not too small for comfort" (June 7), for small apartment dwellers like me, my husband and our two cats.

We are renting a 43-sq-m house and will move to a similar-sized private apartment in 2014. We love our cosy dwelling, which we can easily spring-clean without having to rely on domestic help. The space constraint curbs indulgence in unnecessary household goods.
    how come nobody reply to Leona Lo whether she and hubby can afford bigger house in public forum?
    or if same quantum, would she prefer smaller or bigger house in same location.
    anybody think she would choose smaller house because no need to rely on domestic?

a lot of the letter writers opposing MM are really pussy footing. dont want to state the real reason that MM lovers buy MM is because that's all they can afford and if given a choice, MM "lovers" would buy bigger apartment if quantum the same.

Quote Originally Posted by hopeful
    how come nobody reply to Leona Lo whether she and hubby can afford bigger house in public forum?
    anybody think she would choose smaller house because no need to rely on domestic?

a lot of the letter writers opposing MM are really pussy footing. dont want to state the real reason that MM lovers buy MM is because that's all they can afford and if given a choice, MM "lovers" would buy bigger apartment if quantum the same.
    tada! hit the nerve on the head!

GCB and MM going at same price 'drum roll & kee-chiu, kee-chiu'. Take your pick

What you commented on about affordability is true for most cases, but not for all.

I think Leona can afford large public housing if she really tried. She has been renting for some time so might be eligible for large HDBs / ECs but willingly stayed on. I believe she has found contentment with her apartment.

Landed owners can also say that non-landed owners are going non-landed because they cannot afford landed. But is it necessarily true, looking at the prices of both categories?

If you go for McDonalds' and the salesperson asks the customer whether he/she want to upsize, must he/she necessarily go for it? Can one just get a burger without fries or drinks if he/she is not too hungry or thirsty? Must one purchase the toy that comes with it if he/she really doesn't think he/she wants to pay for it?

For another e.g., our MP also got a rather small two-bedder, and I am sure there are many more who have done so (perhaps for even smaller units) who did not have to report because no conflict of interests. Would you say that's all our MP can afford?

Quote Originally Posted by eng81157
    tada! hit the nerve on the head!

GCB and MM going at same price 'drum roll & kee-chiu, kee-chiu'. Take your pick
    The trouble with this type of thinking is... is there such a thing?

Casio sell at same price as Rolex - take your pick.

Lamborgini same price as Toyota - take your pick.

Can we say only those who go for Rolexes and Lamborginis are right?

People simply like MM, since 1928...

Quote Originally Posted by Kelonguni
    The trouble with this type of thinking is... is there such a thing?

Casio sell at same price as Rolex - take your pick.

Lamborgini same price as Toyota - take your pick.

Can we say only those who go for Rolexes and Lamborginis are right?
    not a right and wrong thing. i say those who pick casio over rolex, everything else being equal, is NUTS

I disagree with Conrad and Leona... 43 sqm shoeboxes is definitely too small for comfort. It is only big enough for my living room.

I read that Leona and her husband have two cats but no children. Shoebox dwellings discourages couples from having children, which is what Singapore desperately needs. If PAP wants to further encourage procreation, shoeboxes should to be banned.

I would be one of those!!! Gimme space anytime man!!!

If got extra rooms, if dont need and dun wanna clean, just lock it up!!!

Quote Originally Posted by eng81157
    not a right and wrong thing. i say those who pick casio over rolex, everything else being equal, is NUTS
    Price difference will be there right from the start. How to be equal?

Quote Originally Posted by seletar
    I disagree with Conrad and Leona... 43 sqm shoeboxes is definitely too small for comfort. It is only big enough for my living room.

I read that Leona and her husband have two cats but no children. Shoebox dwellings discourages couples from having children, which is what Singapore desperately needs. If PAP wants to further encourage procreation, shoeboxes should to be banned.
    Most of the mainstream housing are four-roomed HDBs since time immemorial, maybe about 1000sqft on average. Has this ever had a positive impact on procreation?

Quote Originally Posted by TheOnlyGayInTheVillage
    I would be one of those!!! Gimme space anytime man!!!

If got extra rooms, if dont need and dun wanna clean, just lock it up!!!
    Mind you it's not free. Loading on your quantum and loan. Are you sure you want?

Quote Originally Posted by Kelonguni
    Mind you it's not free. Loading on your quantum and loan. Are you sure you want?
    for own stay can afford it, get a bigger unit. For investment, need to be more nimble, get a MM.

if i say the real mother of all MM reason here, MM sure rocket one... I think I better take the advice of brother kelonguni..keep silent. First, we must really see the facebook profile of those buying the MM...why are they buying it is in their profile.

Quote Originally Posted by Poloclub
    for own stay can afford it, get a bigger unit. For investment, need to be more nimble, get a MM.
    But Getty Goh said on CNA that for the price one pays for a MM these days, are you confident you can get a higher price when you sell it.

Quote Originally Posted by buttercarp
    But Getty Goh said on CNA that for the price one pays for a MM these days, are you confident you can get a higher price when you sell it.
    I dont really know who is Getty, but this site does provide pretty good information about shoebox units.

http://www.squarefoot.com.sg/market-watch/shoebox-units

If given the same price and same location, definitely I will go for bigger unit but not too big, housekeeping problem. Most people buy MM, the main reason is the affordability, secondly is the housekeeping.

Nobody expect HDB to be so expensive nowadays too.

Quote Originally Posted by Poloclub
    I dont really know who is Getty, but this site does provide pretty good information about shoebox units.

http://www.squarefoot.com.sg/market-watch/shoebox-units
    Actually I oso dunno who is Getty Goh.
    But I thought his name was rather catchy when I saw him on CNA this evening.

He missed the boat, just like Wing Tai and CAPL
    Ride at your own risk !!!

Quote Originally Posted by phantom_opera
    He missed the boat, just like Wing Tai and CAPL
    Getty failed to Get It this time and had to Goh

so many getty goh haters

Now a typical $600k FH/999LH at good location or near MRT station is quite hard to find.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/living...iny-house.html

Less can be more ...

168sqft MM in three-acre property
    Ride at your own risk !!!

Quote Originally Posted by seletar

I think very few people know that it is ILLEGAL to keep cats in hdb.

Since she is married, she could have gone for EC. Silly gal.