Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fight over parking in Serangoon Gardens

Default Fight over parking in Serangoon Gardens

http://motoring.asiaone.com/Motoring...20-360342.html

Friday, Jul 20, 2012
    AsiaOne

Two men fight over parking space in Serangoon Garden [Above: A neighbourly spat between #9 and #11 of Jalan Chulek in Serangoon Gardens over parking space on the spot where a black jaguar (extreme right) is parked had resulted in hospitalisation of a man (inset) and police report made after a hustle occurred on July 17, 2012.]
    Retired businessman Mr Goh Poh Ket, claimed that he was hit by a man and the latter's two sons after he parked his car outside their home on Tuesday evening.
    The 65-year-old retiree suffered a fractured left eye socket after he was allegedly hit with a remote control, a plastic bottle filled with water and a sock stuffed with a hard substance.
    The police have since arrested all four men involved in the incident for affray, The Straits Times reported.
    Mr Goh had been visiting Madam Lee, 50, at her home in Jalan Chulek and parked his car outside Mr Kwek's house as it was the nearest vacant space available.
    Soon after he arrived, he was told to move his car by Madam Lee's maid as Mr Kwek was apparently unhappy.
    They saw Mr Kwek and his two sons shouting when Mr Goh and Madam Lee went outside.
    He said: "He was shouting 'This is my parking lot. The road belongs to me. You can't park here.'"
    Madam Lee then told her neighbour that the road was public property and Mr Goh's car was not blocking Mr Kwek's gate.
    The argument soon got heated and escalated into a fight.
    Taken aback by the viciousness of the episode, Madam Lee added: "Their sons even said 'old man still want to fight with us', and I told them to make sure they don't grow old."
    She called the police when she saw that Mr Goh was bleeding. He was taken to Tan Tock Seng Hospital in an ambulance after the police arrived. He was later arrested in the hospital.

Her neighbours have continued to taunt her family even after the arrests, said Madam Lee.
    As the road is narrow, residents have said that parking spaces there fill up quickly.
    However, while residents do try to avoid parking in front of other people's houses, they added that they do not take offence should they find cars parked outside theirs.
    A resident who did not want to be named explained that as long as it does not block their gate, "we don't have the right to ask them to move."

Omg........rich but uncouth!

Haus anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by azeoprop
    Haus anyone?
    u mean park along cte so no more fight....

This problem is made worse when people park their cars on the road even when have a porch.

It is understandable if you have two cars you park one outside. But many park their cars outside whether they have one or more cars regardless. They believe they own the road outside as well.

my grandfather's road.

Landed people too many cars. End up fighting over carpark space?

Quote Originally Posted by kane
    Landed people too many cars. End up fighting over carpark space?
    Since the road is public , gahment should immediately imposed public parking and collect parking fees. Solved all problems but lose more votes hee hee

Quote Originally Posted by alamak
    Since the road is public , gahment should immediately imposed public parking and collect parking fees. Solved all problems but lose more votes hee hee
    Landed no good... Sell!

Just joking.

Some landed in Serangoon gardens have designated lots outside. The problems are those narrow roads, two way some more.

landed must come with space for at least 2 parking lot. otherwise forget it

my 1st impression:
    the old man power.

1 man arrested can cause 3 men to be arrested.
    1 criminal record for him , the 3 men have criminal records.
    he spend 2 months jail, the 3 men spend 2 months each = 6 months.

he old already, not much future for him, he destroyed future of 2 young men.

if i was the old man, i would insist myself to be arrested and the other 3 arrested also.
    quite worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by alamak
    Is public road, just paint yellow line and no body fight over it.

A continuous white line in the middle of the road is good enough. Recently ask people in my estate to vote if we want to remove the white line. I suppose most residents object to it and the white line is till around. We can exercise our option to call the traffic warden if parking situation is really bad. Otherwise no control.
    Quote Originally Posted by zzz1
    Is public road, just paint yellow line and no body fight over it.

Quote Originally Posted by Komo
    landed must come with space for at least 2 parking lot. otherwise forget it
    It wouldn't matter, chao kuan people will still park both their cars outside.... and leave their porch space intact,

there are people who set-up slides, playgrounds, sofa sets in their porch and park their cars outside insisting they have the right to the road space directly outside their house.

URA must draw boxes to sell the hourly parking.....and issue summons

Quote Originally Posted by Laguna
    agreed. If any LTA servants here and want to gain promotion. please take up this idea :- lOL.

1) Incentivised passerbys and jobless people to go take photos and submit to LTA. Selected photos with car owners penalised will be rewarded with 10% of fine amt.

2) Reduced outsourced requirements of cisco , thus saving your budget and get your Value-Added Bonus year end!

Quote Originally Posted by focus
    agreed. If any LTA servants here and want to gain promotion. please take up this idea :- lOL.

1) Incentivised passerbys and jobless people to go take photos and submit to LTA. Selected photos with car owners penalised will be rewarded with 10% of fine amt.

2) Reduced outsourced requirements of cisco , thus saving your budget and get your Value-Added Bonus year end!

okie...I will write to URA on this.....
    then the landed prices will drop.....
    BTW, all these road size lots have no season parking and shall ask for no free parking on Sunday/Sat/PH and no nite parking as well

I don't think it will help.... the problem is that people feel they are entitled to certain lots be it designated, hourly or free space.

I am sure you have seen people using dustbins, chairs...etc to chope even public coupon designated carpark slots... this usually happens with shophouses with carpark slots in front of the shophouse.

If this is extended to private estates, the same will happen.... though we criticise foreigners so much, many Singaporeans still have a third world mentality... we still have a long way to go before we can match the civility of say.. Japan.

My condo charges second and third car parking. Outside my condo, there are few URA parking lots with free nite parking.

So, these people, every nite, they will drive their cars outside to park at the URA lots and day time drive in as visitors.

They are staying in millions dollors of properties...and own more than 1 car....

Wah.... very chao kuan...

My condo charges second and third car parking. Outside my condo, there are few URA parking lots with free nite parking.

So, these people, every nite, they will drive their cars outside to park at the URA lots and day time drive in as visitors.

They are staying in millions dollors of properties...and own more than 1 car....

Once I parked in a landed estate. Found the entire stretch was either parked or there were cones, flower pots, barriers, etc reserving those lots which were never theirs to begin with. Anyway, I was forced to park therefore along the front which has a centre single white line. Then I kana summon. I was so so angry I went down the next day, snapped many pictures and sent those photos to the traffic police and demanded that they deal with these uncouth behaviors before they issue me that ticket. I explained that I wanted to obey the rules but was forced to park there. How can the traffic police issue me that ticket and ignore all those who reserved the public spaces illegally??? Just doesn't make sense. Finally my fine was waived. I don't know whether these other units were given any warning. Never returned there since!!!

Quote Originally Posted by buttercarp
    Omg........rich but uncouth!
    They are decisively NOT rich !

The real rich ones' landed are real houses with a drive way, and parking places for 2 to 3 or more ! This is what I called "landed houses". They do not park their cars outside the house, because, it simply shows "oh u mean u dun have enough place to park your own cars ?"

To take chairs/dustbins/etc to "reserve the place on the road"? This shows poorly of his upbringing.

On my road to office every day, I see this house with 6 cars parking inside, including at least 4 mercs of various classes. All with the same numeric car plate number. Never see them parking outside. In fact the whole road no one parks outside.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by amk
    They are decisively NOT rich !

The real rich ones' landed are real houses with a drive way, and parking places for 2 to 3 or more ! This is what I called "landed houses". They do not park their cars outside the house, because, it simply shows "oh u mean u dun have enough place to park your own cars ?"

To take chairs/dustbins/etc to "reserve the place on the road"? This shows poorly of his upbringing.

On my road to office every day, I see this house with 6 cars parking inside, including at least 4 mercs of various classes. All with the same numeric car plate number. Never see them parking outside. In fact the whole road no one parks outside.
    A parking lot costs close to 100k based on it's $psf and size. It's very low cost compared to the costs of cars of people who are really rich. Definitely park inside.

Quote Originally Posted by DC33_2008
    A continuous white line in the middle of the road is good enough. Recently ask people in my estate to vote if we want to remove the white line. I suppose most residents object to it and the white line is till around. We can exercise our option to call the traffic warden if parking situation is really bad. Otherwise no control.
    Sometime i notice certain place, like u mentioned a centre white line , some place double yellow line,and some single dotted centre white line...
    My highway code failed badly

What happen the the famous Everitt road ? It suppose that the centre of the family have moved ?

Cheapo man those people.

Luckily my condo doesn't charge extra for extra cars.
    Those with 3rd car or more have to park in the open air visitors' lot.

Actually there is nothing wrong with parking in the free night URA carparks.
    If can save money, why not?
    They are not doing anything wrong or being selfish.

I would do the same too, if I were in their shoes .

LTA should implement this: if you don't have a parking lot, you can't buy a car (like in Japan). Parking along road side doesn't count. Is your house can house 2 cars, you can buy 2 and no more, regardless of Coe.

Maybe COE might drop because of this ruling.

Those with no children or 1 child can only buy 1 car. Those with 2 kids can buy 2 cars. Those with 3 can buy 3. Not only curb car population but might also encourage fertility in our country! Kill 2 birds with 1 stone!

Quote Originally Posted by sh
    LTA should implement this: if you don't have a parking lot, you can't buy a car (like in Japan). Parking along road side doesn't count. Is your house can house 2 cars, you can buy 2 and no more, regardless of Coe.

Maybe COE might drop because of this ruling.
    Sounds like a very good idea... Not joking...

Downside is political/social : u mean only the rich can have more cars ??!