Thread: What to do after your first tenant?

Default What to do after your first tenant?

Hi,

I'm a newbie landlord. My first tenant's contract is about to be finished and he is not renewing. Assuming that I want to continue letting the apartment out, are there "usual" things that a landlord does to enhance the unit again? E.g. repaint the house, major cleaning (any contacts?), put new furniture etc (the unit was brand new when I rented it out to him)?

Anything to lookout for when the tenant is checking out?

Thanks for any advice!!

Get a good housing agent to start marketing your unit as soon as possible. Your agent will be able to advise you on the things to look out for.

Your tenant still has a 2 month deposit with you, so don't be too concerned about willfully damaged chattel. Refunds are normally in 2 weeks from handing over the unit back to you. Anything that is damaged due to wear-and-tear (e.g. sofa, mattress, etc) should be discussed with your existing tenant, but normally I just let it be and get new ones for the new tenant.

Quote Originally Posted by primeesense
    Hi,

I'm a newbie landlord. My first tenant's contract is about to be finished and he is not renewing. Assuming that I want to continue letting the apartment out, are there "usual" things that a landlord does to enhance the unit again? E.g. repaint the house, major cleaning (any contacts?), put new furniture etc (the unit was brand new when I rented it out to him)?

Thanks for any advice!!
    get your agent to do the take over/hand over, ask them to assess the damage if any to recover from the deposit.

Also can ask your agent to start to market your unit already, see the new tenant request then do up the unit. eg repainting or repolishing the floor or refurbish the furniture...etc

Clean n tidy the place, post advertisement to look for tenants

Quote Originally Posted by lkwangli
    Get a good housing agent to start marketing your unit as soon as possible. Your agent will be able to advise you on the things to look out for.

Your tenant still has a 2 month deposit with you, so don't be too concerned about willfully damaged chattel. Refunds are normally in 2 weeks from handing over the unit back to you. Anything that is damaged due to wear-and-tear (e.g. sofa, mattress, etc) should be discussed with your existing tenant, but normally I just let it be and get new ones for the new tenant.
    I thought there is only 01 month deposit nowadays? Please correct me if I am wrong as my parents and in-laws are only given 01 month.

Quote Originally Posted by yowetan
    I thought there is only 01 month deposit nowadays? Please correct me if I am wrong as my parents and in-laws are only given 01 month.
    Probably 2 mths for 2 yr rental

Quote Originally Posted by yowetan
    1 year tenancy is 1 month, 2 years tenancy is 2 months.
    private property , this is the norm.

My advice is to not rush to buy new furniture, since some tenants may want to rent the place un- / partly-furnished. What additional stuff you will buy for the tenant (e.g. new TV) can be part of the negotiation exercise.

Quote Originally Posted by primeesense
    Hi,

Thanks for any advice!!

Do up the house nice nice and focus on marketing your unit for the next tenancy ...

First, find out how competitive is your property first and then deciding the pricing.

Request the tenant to tidy up the place.

Ask more agents to advertise and work for u.

I always start the viewing one month before the expiry of tenancy and see what is the potential want via Letter of Intent.

If offer is not up to expectation, i will wait for the tenant to move out, clean up the place with a new layer of paint...this helps