Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Get married, have babies

Default Get married, have babies

Today's Sunday Times, first page big big title, LKY again screaming about survival of Singapore at stake if we do not pro-create ... immigration is only short term solution

He lamented 44% of 30-34 years Singaporeans hippies are still singles (confirmed MM is the best investment in next 20y) and Chinese having a pathetic 1.04 birth rate

Then you turn into subsection of Sunday Times ... again big big title "How to save for your child's education" ... figure given is 8k per year for preschool and quoting all sort of money suckers like ILP, endowment plan ... best still one guys said endowment plan only returns 3-4% on average

Actually what have PAP done to encourage pro-creation other than the pathetic baby bonus which barely covers hospital expenses and negligible tax benefit for 2nd kid onward?

Some obvious policies like reduce cost of preschools, COE discount for big family, maid levy waiver, set up a special CPF education account etc are so obvious but no sound no picture

Talking is no use, show us some colors, when people do not feel secure retiring, who will care about whether Singapore can survive 50y down the road.
    Ride at your own risk !!!

So may I know what you think PAP can do to improve the birth rate? For that matter, what do you think any political party (WP, SDP .....etc whatever...) can do to promote pro-creation?

Quote Originally Posted by phantom_opera
    Today's Sunday Times, first page big big title, LKY again screaming about survival of Singapore at stake if we do not pro-create ... immigration is only short term solution

He lamented 44% of 30-34 years Singaporeans hippies are still singles (confirmed MM is the best investment in next 20y) and Chinese having a pathetic 1.04 birth rate

Then you turn into subsection of Sunday Times ... again big big title "How to save for your child's education" ... figure given is 8k per year for preschool and quoting all sort of money suckers like ILP, endowment plan ... best still one guys said endowment plan only returns 3-4% on average

Actually what have PAP done to encourage pro-creation other than the pathetic baby bonus which barely covers hospital expenses and negligible tax benefit for 2nd kid onward?

Some obvious policies like reduce cost of preschools, COE discount for big family, maid levy waiver, set up a special CPF education account etc are so obvious but no sound no picture

Talking is no use, show us some colors, when people do not feel secure retiring, who will care about whether Singapore can survive 50y down the road.

making babies is the FUN part...

Quote Originally Posted by howgozit
    So may I know what you think PAP can do to improve the birth rate? For that matter, what do you think any political party (WP, SDP .....etc whatever...) can do to promote pro-creation?
    Bro, I already suggested a few things ... u never read ah? PAP should waive maid levy / give free COE for family having the 2nd kid ... of course then u would say we will have traffic jam ... so which one more important traffic jam or procreation?

And your reply reminds me of the very famous question "what do u think?"

who get paid millions of dollars to run the government hah? The government should come out with 100 ideas and have public consultation ... the lame excuse of "can opposition do better" and "what do u think" are excuses for incompetence only

Ban condoms in Singapore.

Default Self-created problem

Ban abortion ...

Some policies:
    1) Ban Condoms sale in Singapore.
    2) Families with 3 babies are eligible for free cat A coe.
    3) Single parents get free studio HDB apartment under child's name.
    4) Free education for all citizens till O levels.

Bro, I already suggested a few things ... u never read ah? PAP should waive maid levy / give free COE for family having the 2nd kid ... of course then u would say we will have traffic jam ... so which one more important traffic jam or procreation?

who get paid millions of dollars to run the government hah? The government should come out with 100 ideas and have public consultation ... the lame excuse of "can opposition do better" and "what do u think" are excuses for incompetence only
    How about no stamp duty or lesser ABSD for those with 2 or more children?
    3 or more kids parents can pick any top primary schools of their choice..no 1km rules or siblings required etc..
    Increase maternity leave and introduce combined maternity and paternity leave
    All preschool fees are tax deductible
    Private Tuition fees are tax deductible
    Children's education trust funds are tax deductible

Reduce 2 years reservist for the father for each child he generates. (encourage early parenthood)
    Give 5% pay rise to the father for each child he generates.

Singapore is a self-centered country, must give direct benefits to the father or mother.

Those who have children before being enlisted are exempted from all national service requirements.

Quote Originally Posted by azeoprop
    Those who have children before being enlisted are exempted from all national service requirements.
    the best idea so far ... sure works

less people doing NS - weakened defence
    no baby - sure die

which is lesser of the evil?

Quote Originally Posted by azeoprop
    No lah when parents too young they are financially and mentally not ready to groom their offsprings

ikan bilis is offline i'm Buaya ! Girls BEWARE !!...

why must "Get married, have babies"... "have babies, Get married" can or not ... ??...

So far any body suggested to have more then one wife. ? Lunckly my wife don surf this site ...he he

After a speculative appearance in NPD, now calling ppl to procreative ...he is kicking stronger then any of us...power sia !!!

The Sunday Times quoted one civil servant family to pay $1200 per month for the little princess childcare with $300 subsidy if she continues to work

And they already bought an endowment plan for their 11 month old little princess to save for her university education ... insurance agents in general, are really as evil as the bankers ... the same article quoted a 3-4% average return for such policy ... and that is in the past where 15-30y SGS bond yield were still at 3-4% ... in the next 20y ... endowment plan could return below 3%

And obviously they have not read this:

http://tankinlian.com/FramePDF.aspx?ID=669

The Sunday Times quoted one civil servant family to pay $1200 per month for the little princess childcare with $300 subsidy if she continues to work

And they already bought an endowment plan for their 11 month old little princess to save for her university education ... insurance agents in general, are really as evil as the bankers ... the same article quoted a 3-4% average return for such policy ... and that is in the past where 15-30y SGS bond yield were still at 3-4% ... in the next 20y ... endowment plan could return below 3%

And obviously they have not read this:

http://tankinlian.com/FramePDF.aspx?ID=669
    Our education system has 0 time allocated for financial literacy, tat is really sad. So many Singaporeans are good at earning money but only a handful really know how to manage their finances

No 10% no invest.

Hmmm.... ok... thank you

Quote Originally Posted by howgozit
    u pay me those million dollar ministerial salary 1st then i tell u..

Hmmm... yes... another good point...

This is very constructive and useful....

Quote Originally Posted by august
    u pay me those million dollar ministerial salary 1st then i tell u..

IMHO the financial incentives got to be much bigger. And instead of a one time lump sum, it's better to be a 20yr thing, like some 20 yr tax break of say 30k per child each yr. raising a child is a long term thing, the least gov can do is this.

Another thing is nationalize the child care sector, and open as many as it can, and run them like utilities non profit based. So working couples can find it easy to send to a child care nearby.

These 2 need money though. I dun know how much it will cost.

Singapore needs a lot more pro family policies. Not all of these need to cost govt money.

1. Huge income tax rebates for those with 3 kids or more.
    2. Priority for HDB BTO flats.
    3. COE rebates.
    4. Priority queues for all govt services e.g. Passport collection,immigration checkpoints, polyclinics etc.
    5. Free education for 3rd child from kindergarten all the way to University.
    6. Create a phase 1A for 3rd child priority for primary school registration.
    7. Priority parking in malls for those with kids (only City Sq mall has it).
    8. NS exemption if already have 2 boys and 3rd or subsequent child is a male.
    9. Better after school child care facilities. Not those that must pick up ur kid by 7 pm sharp type.
    10. No penalty if need to upgrade to bigger BTO flats for second timers with 3 kids or more.
    11. No income limit for BTO flats for bigger families with 3 or more kids.

Basically, we are not a family friendly society at all. I was in UK last Dec on holiday with my 3 kids. The immigration queue was extremely long. It would have taken us at least 1 hr to clear it. When the immigration officers saw us, they immediately formed a new line and ushered all those with young children to this line. We cleared customs in 5 mins.
    Last edited by fclim; 12-08-12 at 23:30.

I like your suggestions fclim.

No Matter what is done people will always have a reason to feel insecure. or too buys or somethings.

Falling birth rate is a problem of developed countries. Where the population get more educated and also have many other options in life. Also with that people tend to put I 1st. Enjoy life etc.

What do COE have to do with child bearing? U mean countries where people cannot afford cars also have slowing birth rate? I think the COE is not relevant.

what is your comment to below incident:
    in a crowded lift going down a young boy closest to the lift buttons press level 3 and say out loudly facing the door "i pressed level 3 because I'm going to level 3. I'm not going to level 1." and he stared blankly at the door.

Quote Originally Posted by minority
    What do COE have to do with child bearing? U mean countries where people cannot afford cars also have slowing birth rate? I think the COE is not relevant.
    once you have more than 1 kid, you need a car, if car price is so prohibitive, it basically is not pro-family ... in other countries, cars are mostly affordable so not an issue at all

This started it all - when we started playing God in "family planning".

Ban abortion ...

Quote Originally Posted by fclim
    Singapore needs a lot more pro family policies. Not all of these need to cost govt money.
    2. Priority for HDB BTO flats.
    3. COE rebates.
    4. Priority queues for all govt services e.g. Passport collection,immigration checkpoints, polyclinics etc.
    6. Create a phase 1A for 3rd child priority for primary school registration.
    7. Priority parking in malls for those with kids (only City Sq mall has it).
    8. NS exemption if already have 2 boys and 3rd or subsequent child is a male.
    9. Better after school child care facilities. Not those that must pick up ur kid by 7 pm sharp type.
    10. No penalty if need to upgrade to bigger BTO flats for second timers with 3 kids or more.
    All the above are good suggestions, the challenges are:
    1 - financially - where to find the $$$ to fund it and

2 - emotionally - how to answer to the other segments of the society (e.g. singles / married with no kids) - This group will surely cry - "not fair".

My suggestions are:
    1 - allocate profit from past reserve to fund x% of the above
    1 - for the rest of the shortfall, increase personal income tax (as oppose to more tax rebates) and business income taxes. My understanding is govt needs moo-la to function and the moo-la comes from businesses and citizens.

2 - the backlash will be from the other segment of the society and businesses, the unhappy ones may potentially uproot and leave. This is the risk we all have to take after consultations with all stakeholders.

do also kena scolding, dun do also kena scolding.... on the otherhand, to get such a high pay, i suppose the ministers should be okay to take some scolding....

Quote Originally Posted by fclim
    These 3 damn power.
    (5) machiam buy 2 get 1 free.
    (11) Those with 3rd child qualify as HDB Gold PPS, no income limit, get choice unit, untilies off 25% for 20yrs, ppty tax free 20 yrs.