Thread: Anyone here own a unit in red light district and stay in there? What are the cons?

Default Anyone here own a unit in red light district and stay in there? What are the cons?

what are the cons of staying in red light district unit? is it true your neighbour mostly are ah long and OKT?

Can share what are the disadvantages?

It is not obvious enough for you? U are truly a good man. We all must look up to you. (Or u post this as an alibi to your wife..... Very smart ehhh)

red light districts are usually where the good food is. think geylang and balestier. there is more to it than chicken steamed or fried.

A few years ago, some banks don't approve loan for even numbered lorongs in Geylang.

This article was in 2006.
    http://www.housingloansg.com/web/ind...=161&Itemid=34

Quote Originally Posted by indomie
    It is not obvious enough for you? U are truly a good man. We all must look up to you. (Or u post this as an alibi to your wife..... Very smart ehhh)
    I am single if i can buy HDB..i wouldnt want to buy private in D14 also.

This is my experience... though not the "traditional" red light area, I would expect the experience to be close.

Many many many years ago, I was staying at the junction of Tomlinson Road and Cuscaden Road (down the road of Hard Rock Cafe), the current location where they built The Tomlinson after my place was enbloc-ed.

It was an old single point block. The problem was that after it was enbloc-ed and families were slowly shifting out, the developer that bought it over leased out the vacated units at relatively low rental rates.

Many OKTs took up the vacated units and sublet it to the prostitutes and transvestites that were plying the Orchard Road up to Orchard Parade Hotel (which was then known as Ming Court Hotel).

Every night, you can hear people talking loudly till the wee hours. And every once in a while loud arguments and commotions can be heard. In the morning you can smell urine, stale cigarettes and beer reeking in the common areas. When you take the lift, there are always strangers of all shapes and sizes, they will indiscriminately stare at your wife looking at her from head to toe, front to back. There was always some rough looking person hanging around the estate either at the lobby, car park or just outside the compounds.

Even though, nothing untoward eventually came upon us, it was very uneasy for the whole family and my wife felt very unsafe all the time as my children were then rather young.

This was short term.... imagine if you are thinking of buying and staying for life...

The pro's are the Pros
    Then con's are the Cons

ebd - lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!

it is also where you find condoms.

conned dom ..(dirty old men)

Quote Originally Posted by carbuncle
    red light districts are usually where the good food is. think geylang and balestier. there is more to it than chicken steamed or fried.
    you mean fresh and foreign chickens eh?

Quote Originally Posted by EBD
    The pro's are the Pros
    Then con's are the Cons
    U are legendary

I have a friend who stayed in Lorong 25 with his wife and 2 teenage sons for almost 10 yrs, now still staying there. Never heard from him that his neighbours are mostly loan-shark and OKT, the only things he said was day time the street is very quiet but night time, the street is very busy on "the other side", I presume he is referring to Lorong 24 and lower.

Recently just heard that one of my ex-classmates had sold her Geylang house because she had made a sum out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by howgozit
    This is my experience... though not the "traditional" red light area, I would expect the experience to be close.

Many many many years ago, I was staying at the junction of Tomlinson Road and Cuscaden Road (down the road of Hard Rock Cafe), the current location where they built The Tomlinson after my place was enbloc-ed.

It was an old single point block. The problem was that after it was enbloc-ed and families were slowly shifting out, the developer that bought it over leased out the vacated units at relatively low rental rates.

Many OKTs took up the vacated units and sublet it to the prostitutes and transvestites that were plying the Orchard Road up to Orchard Parade Hotel (which was then known as Ming Court Hotel).

Every night, you can hear people talking loudly till the wee hours. And every once in a while loud arguments and commotions can be heard. In the morning you can smell urine, stale cigarettes and beer reeking in the common areas. When you take the lift, there are always strangers of all shapes and sizes, they will indiscriminately stare at your wife looking at her from head to toe, front to back. There was always some rough looking person hanging around the estate either at the lobby, car park or just outside the compounds.

Even though, nothing untoward eventually came upon us, it was very uneasy for the whole family and my wife felt very unsafe all the time as my children were then rather young.

This was short term.... imagine if you are thinking of buying and staying for life...
    Orchard Towers is also famous for the pros, different levels different prices, but why apartments in Orchard area are still so expensive hor?

Orchard Towers is actually world famous for its "Four Floors of Whore". Its one of those things that the Gahmen "close one eye" like Geylang or Desker Road.

The good thing is that the activity is quite well contained and the area is relatively well-policed by the nearby Tanglin Police Station. Its just a small "blip" on the otherwise upmarket area. Previously, I am sure you remember the Ming Court area is flooded with ladies (and lady-boys) of the night out in the walking path where Forum Galleria is now...

Quote Originally Posted by irisng
    Orchard Towers is also famous for the pros, different levels different prices, but why apartments in Orchard area are still so expensive hor?

All part of the Work, Live and Play scheme.
    Local and foreign businessmen would have advised them to allow some form of these things to exist ...for the buzz...

One section for the FT, one for Locals and one for the FW.
    All segments and price-range covered.

Quote Originally Posted by howgozit
    Orchard Towers is actually world famous for its "Four Floors of Whore". Its one of those things that the Gahmen "close one eye" like Geylang or Desker Road.

The good thing is that the activity is quite well contained and the area is relatively well-policed by the nearby Tanglin Police Station. Its just a small "blip" on the otherwise upmarket area. Previously, I am sure you remember the Ming Court area is flooded with ladies (and lady-boys) of the night out in the walking path where Forum Galleria is now...

people may be full of criticisms for geylang, but having travelled far and wide, i would actually prefer living in geylang than the prime areas in some other cities like cairo and mumbai.

I don't own a unit @ geylang, but my school is over there... go there easily like 4 time a week.

All the funny funny people I don't get to see in other estates can be found in geylang... too many "foreign talents" from China liao & they treat geylang like their hometown in China, no law no govt one... traffic there is also horrible, I cannot believe people really think those cars would siam them when they anyhow cross the road