Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Upgrading to landed?

Quote Originally Posted by fclim
    Sure, landed got good points as well. Birds..ah... My garden used to be carpet grass. Very nice... Then birds came and shit in it. Cow grass and all kinds of weeds started to grow. Every day got to clear the weeds. After a while, gave up. Then after two years, nice carpet grass became cow grass all over.

Groceries... yes. Landed very convenient. But got maids to help carry in condo. However, I make my kids carry the groceries instead. You want to eat, you do the work.

My monthly utility bill is quite huge. Got front and back yards to wash. Mop the floor a few times a day etc...very clean, but still got "friends" leh.

Lastly, the following is a true story.

http://www.ttsh.com.sg/about-us/news...e.aspx?id=3228

As with everything else, there are pros and cons.
    If no gardener, then best is tile up the grass. Not as nice but no choice if want to save the effort.

I was referring to Seeksadvice's post about looking at Parvis and Yong An Park. His option is between a slightly more than 2000sf condo and a semi-d he is eyeing in D15 Katong given his $4m budget. Minimum land size for semi d is 200sm and semi ds of that size will commonly have a larger built-up area. Thus I assumed that it would be a larger house. The point is we should not take a house in Yio Chu Kang, for example, and compare it with the lifestyle of staying at Ardmore Park in Orchard, when we are discussing the attractiveness of staying in condo or landed to most singaporeans.

Of course a person staying in a $2m property and renting out another $2m property will generate more wealth over time. I have already mentioned that and agreed with you in an earlier post. I have also agreed that prices for landed would not likely to spike so much in the future due to the recent run up in price. You are absolutely right. The "wealth maximization" I refered to was Seeksadvice's option of owning either condo or landed property for the long term.

Will you attain more wealth living in a smaller D9/10 condo or a larger semi d in D15 if you want to hold it for 25 years?

Quote Originally Posted by 789
    how is comparing a SMALL condo to a LARGE house a apple to apple comparison? I think a better comparison will be a 3000sf penthouse vs a 3000sf landed property. Which one will you choose?

How is consuming what you invested as wealth maximization? wont someone who live in a $2m property, with $2m investment property be able to generate more wealth over time?

If you are using the last 3 to 4 years growth trend of landed property to extrapolate the future capital appreciation, then you are in for trouble because landed property has already reaches its peak, and thats the reason why detached houses prices are coming down despite the rich are still getting richer. Due to its lousy rental yield, if your landed property prices doesnt appreciate 2 to 3% every year, then what is the point?

Quote Originally Posted by teddybear
    To use the facilities in the country club you need to drive there, and you also need to drive your wife & kids there? You need to own a car right? Also, Isn't the time spent is more precious than the money you save?
    You pay $150 for something that is not yours to begin with? What about the club's membership fees which you get nothing back if the club folded?
    Unfortunately no condo in Singapore has a golf course for me to play, I know of condo owners that are members of the country club for the golf course and driving range facilities.

It's a 10min drive to the country club from home and my family usually spend our Sundays there. I find that the country club is a great way to spend quality time with the family. Besides swimming, my kids also like to bowl and there's a nice bowling alley in the country club. Sometimes we would play tennis or pool billards or ping pong or arcade games, all these facilities are in the country club. In the past when I was still serving reservist, I had to workout at the gym there to prepare for IPPT.

I guess it's worth the money for me as a lifestyle choice.

Animals issue in landed not an issue lah.

Last time people live in kampung got more animals issues. I've seen tree snakes, cobras, squirrels, rodents, chickens, ducks, pigs, spiders, red and black ants, centipede, mosquito, etc.

It's really an enjoyable learning experience during those days. Nowadays young children don't get expose to animals as easily & often so getting them to see & experience them is good for their learning.

Just need to keep these animals & insects under control and it's still worth to live in landed.

Just my opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by chho

Will you attain more wealth living in a smaller D9/10 condo or a larger semi d in D15 if you want to hold it for 25 years?
    If a person has net worth of 40m, he will spread it across all countries. If a person has 4m, he throws it at a D15 landed, then his fate will depend on PAP or Singapore. This is called put all eggs in one basket
    Ride at your own risk !!!

cons for landed property are security, neighbors relationship, limited parking space, stuffy (especially for terrace houses), mosquito and occasional dengue fever and cost of maintenance once it age.

I think the pests issue is heavily dependent on where your place is. For mine, other than lizards and snails I have never seen anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Poloclub
    cons for landed property are security, neighbors relationship, limited parking space, stuffy (especially for terrace houses), mosquito and occasional dengue fever and cost of maintenance once it age.
    Plus arguments over parking space outside their houses, less wind, potential flooding concerns, amplification of dog barking (if you walk past a landed house with a noisy dog and it barks, the whole street can hear it and it will trigger off another series of happy barking from the other dogs), not close to amentities (for most), putting up with everlasting noise if you strike neighbour-decides-to-rebuild lottery, etc etc

hence the reason i moved to a condo.

I am rich in debts...

But have to carry them to up the stairs to their bedroom unless staying in one with internal lift.
    Quote Originally Posted by stl67
    also useful when little children falls asleep in the car.. easier to carry them... used to have strong muscle when I have to carry them from the car park to the house last time when I was staying in a condo... now so flabby..

Domestic helper is necessary for landed. Otherwise, who is going to clean the house, wash the clothes and car, buy grocery, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by carbuncle
    I was under the impression most landed owners will have full time maid(s) and the maid(s) will take care of the groceries shopping etc...

Quote Originally Posted by DC33_2008
    Domestic helper is necessary for landed. Otherwise, who is going to clean the house, wash the clothes and car, buy grocery, etc.
    DIY, save money and save life! for those who depend too much on domestic helper, consider doing house chores if you do not have time for regular exercise...good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Poloclub
    i guess be it staying in hdb, PC or landed, most importantly we are talking not just the shelter over our heads but also the environment. some prefer security over anything else and some prefer to have facilities and so on. so there is no such fix for all.

cluster housing is a hybrid of landed & condo and i foresee in future more and more will be into this type of housing. But too bad, it will be very limited. out of the 73000 units landed, how many % is cluster? Anyway, i would choose cluster as it solved some of those landed concerns...

Quote Originally Posted by DC33_2008
    But have to carry them to up the stairs to their bedroom unless staying in one with internal lift.
    There is usually a day bed downstairs.

teddybear is offline Global recession is coming....

last time kampung cheap cheap no choice mah...
    Don't need money got water (from well), no electricity got light (use kerosene lamp), can grow fruits and rear chickens etc
    Nowsadays pay landed properties so much to experience kampung life?

Quote Originally Posted by PN
    Animals issue in landed not an issue lah.

Last time people live in kampung got more animals issues. I've seen tree snakes, cobras, squirrels, rodents, chickens, ducks, pigs, spiders, red and black ants, centipede, mosquito, etc.

It's really an enjoyable learning experience during those days. Nowadays young children don't get expose to animals as easily & often so getting them to see & experience them is good for their learning.

Just need to keep these animals & insects under control and it's still worth to live in landed.

Just my opinions.

teddybear is offline Global recession is coming....

Different people different preference... I have no use for country club because I don't play the "small ball", I don't play the "big ball"
    Why need to play arcade games at country club when I can play so many games at the comfort of my home?

Quote Originally Posted by seletar
    Unfortunately no condo in Singapore has a golf course for me to play, I know of condo owners that are members of the country club for the golf course and driving range facilities.

It's a 10min drive to the country club from home and my family usually spend our Sundays there. I find that the country club is a great way to spend quality time with the family. Besides swimming, my kids also like to bowl and there's a nice bowling alley in the country club. Sometimes we would play tennis or pool billards or ping pong or arcade games, all these facilities are in the country club. In the past when I was still serving reservist, I had to workout at the gym there to prepare for IPPT.

I guess it's worth the money for me as a lifestyle choice.

I meant coming back at night. In fact, my maid sleeps at the attic. We stay at the lower floors.
    Quote Originally Posted by wind30
    There is usually a day bed downstairs.

Don't know why got a strongly feeling the TS is Yowetan .. Who has same feeling as me??

http://www.stproperty.sg/articles-pr...arking/a/74685

Something to bear in mind when buying landed.

Some landed have cars parked on both sides of the street and often some car will have to reverse to give way to the on coming traffic.

Default Staying in Landed, this is what I do.

Dec 2010

Mar 2011

Aug 2011

May 2012

Jul 2012

Last edited by Arcachon; 23-08-12 at 04:09.

Quote Originally Posted by andy

Some landed have cars parked on both sides of the street and often some car will have to reverse to give way to the on coming traffic.
    U can't buy class.

most that comes to visit sometimes push thier rights. And some who stays there choose to be ungracious.

I have seen landed that owners do not park their cars in there for fear of oil leak from the cars.

Quote Originally Posted by samuelk
    U can't buy class.

most that comes to visit sometimes push thier rights. And some who stays there choose to be ungracious.

I have seen landed that owners do not park their cars in there for fear of oil leak from the cars.
    If they park their second car outside because the first one has already taken up the space inside that i can understand. Some park all their cars by the road side and leave their driveway empty to give themselves more space. That is plain selfish.

Quote Originally Posted by andy

That is why your choice of landed is impt. This one can choose one.

If you worried about parking spaces, choose an estate with wider or empty roads lah.

If you don't like to reverse to give way, don't buy at places with high pop density with a lot of rebuilt like Telok Kurau areas.

My place has like PLENTY of parking space. Can still find park during chinese new year.

Quote Originally Posted by kane
    If they park their second car outside because the first one has already taken up the space inside that i can understand. Some park all their cars by the road side and leave their driveway empty to give themselves more space. That is plain selfish.
    Agreed. I park inside my house so I use a rubbish bin to "chop" the space outside my house to prevent my neighbour (rental) from parking there.

That tenant does not park inside his house and likes to park along the road. I don't really mind if someone parks ocassionally outside my house. However, it irritates me a lot when someone refuses to park inside his house and parks outside my house 365 days a year.

Although it does not block my driveway, it makes entering and getting out of my driveway more inconvenient.

Anyway, there are plenty of parks around my place so once I chop the place, the neighbour just shift to a further location (which is outside a powerstation so nobody cares)

You all sounds very chum like that, everyday come back from work got to think whether later got place to park your car if you have more than 1...

You can chop your space but others can also take away the bin as it is public place. Think recently there is an article about this. Sorry but the space outside your landed belongs to the public, no choice but have to face it

Quote Originally Posted by wind30
    Agreed. I park inside my house so I use a rubbish bin to "chop" the space outside my house to prevent my neighbour (rental) from parking there.

That tenant does not park inside his house and likes to park along the road. I don't really mind if someone parks ocassionally outside my house. However, it irritates me a lot when someone refuses to park inside his house and parks outside my house 365 days a year.

Although it does not block my driveway, it makes entering and getting out of my driveway more inconvenient.

Anyway, there are plenty of parks around my place so once I chop the place, the neighbour just shift to a further location (which is outside a powerstation so nobody cares)

Arcachon, nice & delicious vege & fruits.

It's the most enjoyable moment when you eat the fruits from your own garden.

Then when thw neighbours go into tit for tat. They park on both sides of the road, only one car can pass through. Sometimes it causes a small jam as there's hardly any space to give way. Those are undesirable streets to live on.

Quote Originally Posted by lajia
    You all sounds very chum like that, everyday come back from work got to think whether later got place to park your car if you have more than 1...

You can chop your space but others can also take away the bin as it is public place. Think recently there is an article about this. Sorry but the space outside your landed belongs to the public, no choice but have to face it
    the more expensive neighbourhood dun have lorries or vans from the neghbourhood as well . Check out the place before you buy. Compare luxus hill vs some of those near hdb area n you get a idea what you are getting into.

Quote Originally Posted by samuelk
    the more expensive neighbourhood dun have lorries or vans from the neghbourhood as well . Check out the place before you buy. Compare luxus hill vs some of those near hdb area n you get a idea what you are getting into.
    Luxus hills have some hdb across the road.

But yes i know what you're referring to. It becomes a lorry parking bay.

As anticipated, this has turned into a landed vs condo/apt argument which will go on and on ad infinitum.

There are pros and cons for both which has been well laid out by many of the bros here so I will not elaborate.From what I read from TS first statemnt, I think he/she has more or less decided on a landed, its just whether it makes economic sense.

If you are buying for own stay, then by all means go for it. the inherent joy and pride of owning a piece of land that you can call your own is unparallelled. I, myself , own both and if it comes to a crunch where I have to release one or the other, I am definitely more reluctant to let go of the landed than the condo.

Since you are buying for own stay, then rental yield will not be a concern for you but more so on capital protection/appreciation. Yes, both landed and condos/apt have run up a fair bit but which will give you better capital protection or to be more optimistic, appreciation in the long run? Perhaps the chartbelow will help shed some light.

People who say that landed prices are strastospheric are of that mind because of the way that landed is priced vs condos. Most landed (with the exception of cluster) are priced psf on land area rather than the built-up for condos /apt. With the exception of detached or GCB, most landed have greater built up area than the land based on the propensity to build up or dwon (basements). If you compare like for like i.e. pure living area, then it may not seem so high after all. In fact, in my ivew, that is probably one of the factors for the run-up in landed as more people come to this realization.

As for all the horror stories about parking, creepy crawlies, noise pollution, bad negihbours etc, I think it all boils down to your selection of the property itself. Having stayed in both condo and landed, I can tell you that the problems exists for BOTH landed and condos as well.

I have stayed in condos and landed which exhibit one or all of the problems above so to me its not mutally exclusive when you choose one property type over another. Do your research on the surroundings before you buy. This applies for BOTH condos as well as landed.

With that in mind, just do what you think will bring greatest happiness to you and your family and buy withn your means. Property moves in cycles. so what if it goes down? As long as you have holding power, the cycle will go up again. As long as you are sitting on a capital gain, are you going to hit yourself over the head because another property type could have garnered you a little more paper gain. Life is too short to worry about such stuff.