Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Have You Missed The Property Boat?

Good times in Singapore may not last forever. The boat will always come back to pick up more people. Juz save up harder now n wait patiently for e next boat.

Quote Originally Posted by hyenergix
    Good times in Singapore may not last forever. The boat will always come back to pick up more people. Juz save up harder now n wait patiently for e next boat.
    problem is the boat from jet boat starting to be bum boat to sampang. Very soon will becomme life rift

Quote Originally Posted by samuelk
    problem is the boat from jet boat starting to be bum boat to sampang. Very soon will becomme life rift
    After miss the life rift... next one come back will be life buoy lor..

Quote Originally Posted by Rysk
    After miss the life rift... next one come back will be life buoy lor..
    Lol live and let live.
    My neighbor was like that as well waiting for the never appearing correction to come

Fortunately, my wife is supportive and never stop me. Otherwise, I would have missed 3 boats. May be I did not let her have a chance to think on these 3 occasions. I saw the place on my own and bring her the next day and close the deal the following day. Never regretted on our decisions since the day we have bought those properties.
    Quote Originally Posted by gn108
    Brother, I am not alone!! Thank you....

I have learnt (the hard way) how to turn my wife's view from a liability to an asset. Just do the opposite of what she says esp when it's most strong emotional. So her "good-bye" is 'good buy' and her 'must buy' is 'should sell'.

Quote Originally Posted by DC33_2008
    Fortunately, my wife is supportive and never stop me. Otherwise, I would have missed 3 boats. May be I did not let her have a chance to think on these 3 occasions. I saw the place on my own and bring her the next day and close the deal the following day. Never regretted on our decisions since the day we have bought those properties.
    I just tell my wife to buy cheque book along, didn't even tell her the selling price of the condo.

Quote Originally Posted by irisng
    still need to pay govt 25% levy (which was about $100k), sign........
    100k enough for downpayment for condo leh.

If I am more daring enough to hoot another property for < 380k back in 2008-9 with just 10% DP that time(iirc), I would have 2 fully paid property by 2014.

Why blame someone else for OWN decision? If you don't have the foresight or don't have the money to buy the property on your own, why blame the woman? It's like blaming the woman for not bearing daughters not sons; it's actually the man's fault.
    There are many female property owners around. Buying property has got nothing to do with gender.

Quote Originally Posted by evergreen
    Why blame someone else for OWN decision? If you don't have the foresight or don't have the money to buy the property on your own, why blame the woman? It's like blaming the woman for not bearing daughters not sons; it's actually the man's fault.
    There are many female property owners around. Buying property has got nothing to do with gender.
    My colleagues have a fully paid HDB 5 room, he have 2 graduate daughter now working, he have the cash for 20% down payment for PC, his daughter repeatedly ask him to buy a PC. Guess who is stopping him.

Quote Originally Posted by 30years
    I have. I have missed many, many boats. If I line them all up, can start a shipping business.

Here are a few of those boats that I remember missing:

1988 - Farrer Court cost about 300K only so me and my friend decided to share and buy one instead of renting there. We could not buy on our own as we got not enough money. Just graduated and started working but not enough CPF, no savings, got to pay off tuition loan. My friend suddenly chicken out so I cannot buy. When it comes to property investment, many talk a lot but few dare to buy, even when prices crashed. Farrer Court price went up to a million in 1996. When this boat came back in 1998, I jumped in even when my father told me not to buy, as I just bought a 2 br condo and a 3R HDB flat.

1992 - Viewed Ivory Heights, high floor, can see CK Tang from the unit on a clear day. Owner asking 300K. Can buy but did not buy because it cost 100K more than a HDB executive flat in Jurong.

1998 - Leedon Heights, ground floor unit, beautifully renovated, agent says owner will sell for 680K. I offered 660K. No deal. Missed this boat which was later enblocked for more than 2 million.

2009 - Chancery Court, 4th floor, original condition but cheap, only 1.08 million. I ask my friend and she said wait for price to fall further. I offered 1 million and got nothing. I should never have listened to a woman when it comes to property. They always look for bargains.

There are many more, I just list the big ones.

What about you? Have you missed any boats? Care to share, so that we may be wiser, the next time the boat drift back as the tide changes.
    Actually with your years of investing in property since 1998. I would be more interested in hearing you view of where you think the residential market is headed next. DOWN or UP?

Luxus Hills was a "landed" boat which I had missed.. so I Sibeh tulan liao!!

now 2.9-mil lor ..

http://forums.condosingapore.com/showthread.php?t=12285
    Everytime I pass by there I got this sour feeling.
    By right, should have owned a unit in Phase 1 facing the park!

I can understand your tulan-ness.
    In 2010, the price went up by 100k, I buay song, still don't want to buy.
    So with this kind of feeling, I know that I can never stay there.

Quote Originally Posted by Arcachon
    My colleagues have a fully paid HDB 5 room, he have 2 graduate daughter now working, he have the cash for 20% down payment for PC, his daughter repeatedly ask him to buy a PC. Guess who is stopping him.
    Usually people who have less money are willing to take more risk. People who have no money always talk about and urge others to take greater risk.

Quote Originally Posted by samuelk
    Actually , it can go terribly wrong

http://smartpropertybuyer.blogspot.s...inflation.html

...he mentioned about depreciation of 99 yrs LH, how much have Sherwood Towers units depreciated?

Quote Originally Posted by focus
    Actually with your years of investing in property since 1998. I would be more interested in hearing you view of where you think the residential market is headed next. DOWN or UP?
    I don't know where the residential market is heading. Two years back I thought it was going down, so I sold one of only 2 investment properties I have in Singapore. Prices went up further after I sold. I thought prices will come down when the government introduced CM, so I sold one more. Looking at the last few transacted prices recently, I left about 500K-600K on the table after I got out. I think I more Tulan now than those who missed Luxus Hill.

Go ask Phantom or his on-line verbal sparring partner. They seems to know where the market is heading.

I don't know where the residential market is heading. Two years back I thought it was going down, so I sold one of only 2 investment properties I have in Singapore. Prices went up further after I sold. I thought prices will come down when the government introduced CM, so I sold one more. Looking at the last few transacted prices recently, I left about 500K-600K on the table after I got out. I think I more Tulan now than those who missed Luxus Hill.

Go ask Phantom or his on-line verbal sparring partner. They seems to know where the market is heading.
    Nobody knows for sure, it boils down to risk management and how u allocate your asset ... it is suicide to hold cash in FD now, US Fed looks very much like BOJ, SIBOR could stay at 0.4% for 20y. Those who subscribe to NTUC Income 15y 3.65% bond are not exactly fools, 9b worth of fools??
    Ride at your own risk !!!

Quote Originally Posted by buttercarp
    Everytime I pass by there I got this sour feeling.
    By right, should have owned a unit in Phase 1 facing the park!

I can understand your tulan-ness.
    In 2010, the price went up by 100k, I buay song, still don't want to buy.
    So with this kind of feeling, I know that I can never stay there.
    It should remind you to seize opportunities when it comes next time. There are many people out there who are even smarter and able to see real opportunities, just that they don't even have the means ($) to decide.

Quote Originally Posted by hyenergix
    You are right but the problem human dont last forever. How many 10 years or 5 years we have from the time we start work. Even when the boat return,
    some may be uisng walking stick and lose out or fall when boarding

Quote Originally Posted by azeoprop
    Caspian
    #13-16 4 bedroom 1389sqft was $809100
    #03-16 4 bedroom 1389sqft was $778500

when i visited the showflat in mar 09, never buy.
    I missed this boat too. Who would have thought Jurong West can come so far in prices....

Had I brought my wife with me to view resale properties, I would be homeless today. See one hairline crack on the wall, don't want to buy!
    Haha... sama sama... that is how I landed up in a 99LH when the 15yr FH just down the road is better value-for-money...

The FH I saw was $900k for 1,500sf when I first saw. Then up to $1.2m and now $1.5m.

Quote Originally Posted by 3C
    You are right but the problem human dont last forever. How many 10 years or 5 years we have from the time we start work. Even when the boat return,
    some may be uisng walking stick and lose out or fall when boarding
    Is true lor.. And this is what I think..

Actually S'pore property market has already been driven by sentiment rather than fundamental.. cos if you forever stuck to fundamental, forever you'll be slower than other & you may end up only talking BIG BIG & forever no action..

S'pore property market is very unpredictable with especially when the gov every now & then intervene with CM.. makes it more difficult to predict whats gonna happen next..

Analyst are now try to predict up to next 6-12 mths only.. some analyst talk BIG BIG end up go MIA.. some analyst even can come out an article one full page, after you read it, bring you merry-go-round & you still can't find the answer whether price will be heading north or south..

Too many factors at play:

1. Government policies - populists or idealist. 2016 GE?
    2. Global Outlook - China, Europe, US, SEA.
    3. Individual Pressures - Family Needs, Location, Change jobs, etc.
    4. Unforeseen Calamities - Disease, Terrorism, Natural Disasters (in SG).

Play within your means.

Maybe non-residential properties still more attractive...

Actually S'pore property market has already been driven by sentiment rather than fundamental.. cos if you forever stuck to fundamental, forever you'll be slower than other & you may end up only talking BIG BIG & forever no action..

S'pore property market is very unpredictable with especially when the gov every now & then intervene with CM.. makes it more difficult to predict whats gonna happen next..

Analyst are now try to predict up to next 6-12 mths only.. some analyst talk BIG BIG end up go MIA.. some analyst even can come out an article one full page, after you read it, bring you merry-go-round & you still can't find the answer whether price will be heading north or south..

Actually quite predictable. When gov allow 100% loan, dps, etc... They want prices to rise. When they come out with CMs, they are trying to control the sharp rise in property prices. In other words, if prices rise 15% this year, or even 10%, do you think more CMs will come out. So, to me, the upside is 5% per year. The downside is the predicament from euro zone.

The thing about Analyst wrong prediction - How true and was exactly what was experienced back in 2008-09, even all the big MNC banks said there will be supply glut for a few years. All of them kept mum when the market proved them all wrong and not only that, more land supply, BTOs and new launches. The rest ... History....

Been watching property in S'pore since owned first HDB, also missed some.
    First buy direct HDB 5 rm D23 in 96, sold for about 120k profit in '01
    Bought D14 EA HDB ~470k, decided to skip Amberville Masionette offer of 100k+ more (my first miss as it was enbloc to Far East for ~$1M per unit 5 yrs later)

Late '08-'09 with a little bit of savings and just at dawn of Lehman crisis, went to view showroom at kovan Res, clover by the park, Dakota Res, Arte, trevista. No decision made as not near kid's school, size, quantum, 20% dnpayment, no DPS and also very significantly - negative sentiments from Analyst. Kovan 4-bedder below@$600psf, clover @$700+psf, Arte @$900psf, Dakota@$800+psf, so many "relatively cheap" buys and did not do anything because was looking at the most ideal. Can say Miss Miss Miss......

In early '10, found a 25 yr old FH apartment near MRT in D19 and walking distance to Kid's school, closed the deal in a week but with quantum quite high as old apartment size usually bigger but still below$700PDF .
    Now, HDB rented out for less than $3k & using it to fund the mortgage of the FH apartment.

Next, looking to exit my HDB before 2018 hopefully before any massive HDB resale carpet the market (any opinion or advice here welcomed ?).

Looking back, it's still about the fact that in life, we gain some, we lose some. Just learn to be wiser by the day, doing the things that matters so that we can return to our creator.

Quote Originally Posted by Reisor
    The thing about Analyst wrong prediction - How true and was exactly what was experienced back in 2008-09, even all the big MNC banks said there will be supply glut for a few years. All of them kept mum when the market proved them all wrong and not only that, more land supply, BTOs and new launches. The rest ... History....

Bought D14 EA HDB ~470k, decided to skip Amberville Masionette offer of 100k+ more (my first miss as it was enbloc to Far East for ~$1M per unit 5 yrs later)

Late '08-'09 with a little bit of savings and just at dawn of Lehman crisis, went to view showroom at kovan Res, clover by the park, Dakota Res, Arte, trevista. No decision made as not near kid's school, size, quantum, 20% dnpayment, no DPS and also very significantly - negative sentiments from Analyst. Kovan 4-bedder below@$600psf, clover @$700+psf, Arte @$900psf, Dakota@$800+psf, so many "relatively cheap" buys and did not do anything because was looking at the most ideal. Can say Miss Miss Miss......

In early '10, found a 25 yr old FH apartment near MRT in D19 and walking distance to Kid's school, closed the deal in a week but with quantum quite high as old apartment size usually bigger but still below$700PDF .
    Now, HDB rented out for less than $3k & using it to fund the mortgage of the FH apartment.

Next, looking to exit my HDB before 2018 hopefully before any massive HDB resale carpet the market (any opinion or advice here welcomed ?).

Looking back, it's still about the fact that in life, we gain some, we lose some. Just learn to be wiser by the day, doing the things that matters so that we can return to our creator.
    Why 2018 to exit HDB?

Quote Originally Posted by Reisor

i am in kind of same situation as you...i moving back to my hdb to stay after having sold my 99lh pc in pasir ris last year which i bought in 07...i stayed in rented semi-d for 1 year hoping to buy another pc and move in using rental income from my 4rm hdb to cover mortgage...but after almost 1 year for some reason or other we never bought....so now we moving back to our hdb after extensive reno....

so what happens now....yes i looking to buy a pc in future to stay and rent out my hdb....BUT like you i have considered many times whether i should sell my HDB and maybe use the $$ to buy another PC??

But at moment i think NOT advisable FOR ME to sell my HDB....(sorry maybe your situation NOT exactly same in terms of location and size of hdb)

BUT for me the main reason i feel that once your OUT of the HDB market you can never come back in because of govt policies...thats WHY no matter what think VERY VERY VERY carefully before you exit HDB...its a one way ticket...OUT

your reasoning for 2018 could be because of massive supply of hdb coming out but trust me govt very smart...all those units are sold and somehow hdb market today not like last time...there will always BE a demand...otherwise where people going to stay...

after reading thru this thread i realise there are....

more people like this...

less people like this...

and some people like this...

lets move on bro/sis....

Quote Originally Posted by radha08

BUT for me the main reason i feel that once your OUT of the HDB market you can never come back in because of govt policies...thats WHY no matter what think VERY VERY VERY carefully before you exit HDB...its a one way ticket...OUT

your reasoning for 2018 could be because of massive supply of hdb coming out but trust me govt very smart...all those units are sold and somehow hdb market today not like last time...there will always BE a demand...otherwise where people going to stay...
    I agree with this. I am hanging on to my hdb is it is within 1km of a heavily oversubscribed primary sch and who knows, I may need the location to get my grandchildren into the sch in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by stiook
    Haha... sama sama... that is how I landed up in a 99LH when the 15yr FH just down the road is better value-for-money...

The FH I saw was $900k for 1,500sf when I first saw. Then up to $1.2m and now $1.5m.
    Lakeholmz:
    2012-04-02 #08-XX 1,507 833 1,255,000
    ...was eyeing similar size units at 600plus K in 2003, and again in 2007...

So now do we consider those snapped up units at Parc Centros and One Dusun as another missed the boat?