Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Have You Missed The Property Boat?

Quote Originally Posted by yjcai
    Stable price. Miss the days when owning private housing can also buy HDB.
    The last and most lethal CM is that all private owner cannot own HDB...

A BTO brought at $300K at punggol, if it can rent out at $1000, the yield is 4%. A BTO brought at $500K at Clementi, the rent is $1500, the yield is 3.6%. This is better than CPF rate of 2.5%. The Gen Y are quite well exposed. I think they will not sell their HDB especially if private housing cannot buy HDB. Let hope the Gen X do not become a tenant of Gen Y.

Quote Originally Posted by blackapple

A BTO brought at $300K at punggol, if it can rent out at $1000, the yield is 4%. A BTO brought at $500K at Clementi, the rent is $1500, the yield is 3.6%. This is better than CPF rate of 2.5%. The Gen Y are quite well exposed. I think they will not sell their HDB especially if private housing cannot buy HDB. Let hope the Gen X do not become a tenant of Gen Y.
    Subletting rules still governed by HDB. In a way, it still can be controlled.
    Gen Y should be mostly thinking double buy for stay is a good deal but that is not a good strategy if everybody is planning to do it as their thinking adapts to current situation. Have to clarify Gen Y should not be current HDB landlord right now, probably the older generation are subletting their flats now, maybe 7 years later they will join in the fun. A lot of things can happen assuming if they are supporting 2 properties loan after their mop finishes even with prudent finances, and pray hard trouble don't come in remember HDB is not a collatoral which increases the chance of losing the condo.

At this situation Gen X should never go be tenant thinking property price will drop and PPI achieve peak. Especially major developers show a downtrend of net debt for the past ten years and no signs of major lowering psf for new launches and sentiments robust. The next banking shock may not come here so soon with Fed printing $$. Will ah b be motivated?
    Affordable means small

Return of the 10 years MOP rule for HDB.

In Gen Y's time, ALL remaining CPF in ord a/c will be used to fund initial BTO or subsidised HDB whether 50k/100k to make at least 20% or more of price. Then the remaining amount will be granted the HDB [email protected]% fixed. Am I right?
    It will not be so easy to raise 40% of another $1M propty.

Quote Originally Posted by yjcai
    Subletting rules still governed by HDB. In a way, it still can be controlled.

At this situation Gen X should never go be tenant thinking property price will drop and PPI achieve peak. Especially major developers show a downtrend of net debt for the past ten years and no signs of major lowering psf for new launches and sentiments robust. The next banking shock may not come here so soon with Fed printing $$. Will ah b be motivated?
    I think the next banking shock should be from China... Expect the unexpected.. When you expect the price to drop, it trend to fail you..

How many Gen X who gone through the 1997-2003 have sold their house and waiting for the price to drop ? I knew some of many friends and coworker doing that. Their monthly rent is about $2500-$3000. I think they start renting from 2007-2008 period after selling their HDB and private house. They refuse to buy back and still waiting. I am worried for this group of Gen X if there is no price correction. Anyway it is a risk that they have bet.

Quote Originally Posted by Reisor
    In Gen Y's time, ALL remaining CPF in ord a/c will be used to fund initial BTO or subsidised HDB whether 50k/100k to make at least 20% or more of price. Then the remaining amount will be granted the HDB [email protected]% fixed. Am I right?
    It will not be so easy to raise 40% of another $1M propty.
    Gen Y average starting pay is from $3000. A family will have $6000. What is Gen X starting pay ? Usually Gen Y family only have one working member.. Different generation and different mindset..

Quote Originally Posted by DC33_2008
    Which will you buy? Commercial or Residential in CBD? Which has limited stocks?
    Both are unlimited in quantity as it's all from GLS and plot ratio revision.
    So you telling me to go for only those that are limited in quantity that govt don't supply anymore like 999/fh Landed, 999/fh pte shop houses?

Quote Originally Posted by amk
    The 1996 bubble ends with industrial prices skyrocketing...

CBD is not small. There are quite a few shops along Robinson road that are not doing well.
    Ops.. We are nearly there now.. industrial prices from the ppi index indeed sky rocketted.

Quote Originally Posted by 30years
    I also got interested in the commercial at CBB recently when an agent told me about Oxley Tower. Commercial got no ABSD and buyer can avoid GST if buy using company. Me and my friend handed him checks for the best ground floor F&B unit when he told us the price is around $6500 psf and a big Malaysian buyer is willing to pay $7000 psf.

My first investment property other than my HDB was a commercial property in Malaysia, in 1994, purchased with 70% loan. When TOP in 1996, I rented it out for about 8% yield. In 1998 during the crisis, my tenant went bust and disappeared and I lost all I invested in that commercial property.
    Thanks for highlighting from experience. very valuable indeed.
    That's why always must take two sides of the coin.

But now sitting on too much cash also a problem..

Gen Y average starting pay is from $3000. A family will have $6000. What is Gen X starting pay ? Usually Gen Y family only have one working member.. Different generation and different mindset..
    The knowledge of making your money work harder for you and using other people money work for you decide your financial status.

Wait for the Concept Plan 2013.
    Quote Originally Posted by focus
    Both are unlimited in quantity as it's all from GLS and plot ratio revision.
    So you telling me to go for only those that are limited in quantity that govt don't supply anymore like 999/fh Landed, 999/fh pte shop houses?

Quote Originally Posted by Estella83
    Just read, 3k citizenship granted over a weekend. What do you think?
    hopefully the 3k are not here because of using this as a stepping stone to spring board out to another country.

many have use this route to jump to another country to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Estella83
    Just read, 3k citizenship granted over a weekend. What do you think?
    that means 3k bto orders....

Quote Originally Posted by radha08
    that means 3k bto orders....
    you may need to divide by 3 n one household

Quote Originally Posted by samuelk
    you may need to divide by 3 n one household
    and futher divide by two as most would already be PR and bought.

Quote Originally Posted by 30years
    I have. I have missed many, many boats. If I line them all up, can start a shipping business.

Here are a few of those boats that I remember missing:

1988 - Farrer Court cost about 300K only so me and my friend decided to share and buy one instead of renting there. We could not buy on our own as we got not enough money. Just graduated and started working but not enough CPF, no savings, got to pay off tuition loan. My friend suddenly chicken out so I cannot buy. When it comes to property investment, many talk a lot but few dare to buy, even when prices crashed. Farrer Court price went up to a million in 1996. When this boat came back in 1998, I jumped in even when my father told me not to buy, as I just bought a 2 br condo and a 3R HDB flat.

1992 - Viewed Ivory Heights, high floor, can see CK Tang from the unit on a clear day. Owner asking 300K. Can buy but did not buy because it cost 100K more than a HDB executive flat in Jurong.

1998 - Leedon Heights, ground floor unit, beautifully renovated, agent says owner will sell for 680K. I offered 660K. No deal. Missed this boat which was later enblocked for more than 2 million.

2009 - Chancery Court, 4th floor, original condition but cheap, only 1.08 million. I ask my friend and she said wait for price to fall further. I offered 1 million and got nothing. I should never have listened to a woman when it comes to property. They always look for bargains.

There are many more, I just list the big ones.

What about you? Have you missed any boats? Care to share, so that we may be wiser, the next time the boat drift back as the tide changes.
    Property, as with all other investments, should never look back. Otherwise, you will just feel saddened about what might have been.

I missed many many boats too. In 2009, I almost put down the option monies for a landed terrace at 44 Ming Teck Park (land area 1,800sqft). Hubby felt land area was too small, I thought 44 sounded inauspicious. Owner asked for $1.4m, I offered at $1.38M. For $20K, the deal was off.

Then West Coast terrace came along. Land was bigger at 2300sqft, owner asked for $1.2M. My contractor was convinced there was a termites problem. So became no deal.

Then Botanic Gardens mansion came along. 2000sqft of freehold condo right behind Nassim, askg for $1.2M. We weren't sure if such an old condo can find good tenants.

Anyway before 2009, we also missed many many boats. Like a $700k inter-terrace at Serrangoon Gardens in 2003...

Haha all that is past, is past. i am thankful for where I am today, so no point dwelling in the past also. But what never ceases to amaze me was the stratospheric rise of our property prices versus real income. An optimist will say it is a sign of the success of Singapore's economic transformation against the backdrop of the Asian Growth Story, a pessimist will say this is evident of a huge bubble forming. I don't know who to believe either. Lol...

Repeated post.

Quote Originally Posted by new2mondrian
    Property, as with all other investments, should never look back. Otherwise, you will just feel saddened about what might have been.

I missed many many boats too. In 2009, I almost put down the option monies for a landed terrace at 44 Ming Teck Park (land area 1,800sqft). Hubby felt land area was too small, I thought 44 sounded inauspicious. Owner asked for $1.4m, I offered at $1.38M. For $20K, the deal was off.

Then West Coast terrace came along. Land was bigger at 2300sqft, owner asked for $1.2M. My contractor was convinced there was a termites problem. So became no deal.

Then Botanic Gardens mansion came along. 2000sqft of freehold condo right behind Nassim, askg for $1.2M. We weren't sure if such an old condo can find good tenants.

Anyway before 2009, we also missed many many boats. Like a $700k inter-terrace at Serrangoon Gardens in 2003...

Haha all that is past, is past. i am thankful for where I am today, so no point dwelling in the past also. But what never ceases to amaze me was the stratospheric rise of our property prices versus real income. An optimist will say it is a sign of the success of Singapore's economic transformation against the backdrop of the Asian Growth Story, a pessimist will say this is evident of a huge bubble forming. I don't know who to believe either. Lol...
    i FEEL for you...but you got the right spirit...afterall $$$ doesnt equate to happiness......but it would help...put a smile on ones face...

Quote Originally Posted by august
    and futher divide by two as most would already be PR and bought.
    And multiply by the number Of weeks per year

Quote Originally Posted by radha08
    i FEEL for you...but you got the right spirit...afterall $$$ doesnt equate to happiness......but it would help...put a smile on ones face...
    Thanks bro. Anyway, my hubby is the eternal optimist. He is convinced that market would never crash, given the huge wave of baby boomers withdrawing their CPF and from a macro perspective, the risks to most folks enriched through previous property cycles is very small. If someone started out with a small purchase or $500k in 2000, and gradually trade up through the years, the his downside is very small since the real outlay is still less than $1m.

Take the Serangoon $700k landed example. Had we bought it in 2003, and later sold it for $1.2m, bought a $1.3m property in exchange, and sold it for $1.8m, and finally bought something at $2m; our net outlay excluding transaction costs would simplistically be $1m. Still remains affordable. Extend this process to the masses, it is no wonder that there is so much liquidity ard these days...

indeed there is multiplier effect to what was missed or "loss"

Quote Originally Posted by DC33_2008
    Wait for the Concept Plan 2013.
    ... you already have some ideas ... ?

I was not comfortable with commercial/industrial pties.. In 1996 as TS mentioned it was exactly like now, ppl had nothing else to buy already, all started to sing commercial 10% high yield story. Individual industrial unit cannot fight with big landlords, who has the muscle to do up access, utility, advertising, etc. tenant rate is so seasonal, yield is extremely unstable. The way I look at all these oxley strata commercial units, I really think they are cheating.

I admit I had no commercial exp. so this is just my personal view. I am watching keenly now how the Alexis commercial units are doing.