Thread: NDP Rally 2012 Aug 26

Default NDP Rally 2012 Aug 26

Any comments?

For me, more of the same old same old. Some tweets wrote that PM mentioned about singles housing policy being reviewed. is that true? I didn't hear it.

at the end of the day, still nothing solid to increase birthrate. I think he is wrong to say it is not about money, I have friends that can't conceive naturally and ivf is so damn expensive, I think the govt just doesn't want to provide free medical care for new parents, if they do that, birthrate sure go up. He should also discuss the issue of surrogacy and be open about it. The medisave account for kids is bullshit lah, what can that small ang pow do to alleviate cost for parents? If I take over the ministry, I think I got more ideas than the minister now.

Yaloh ... nothing solid, he lamented about no one in bus helping a lady who threw out except a foreign nurse ... Singaporeans really losing it ... partly is our education system ... very brutal ... more like a MNC sales organization with MOE being the CEO, principal being the sales director, teachers being the sales force ... performance assessment being the result of PSLE ... sales not good you are OUT
    Ride at your own risk !!!

Default Singles will be allowed to buy first hand HDB

Yes, Singles will be allowed to buy first hand HDB.
    Married couple with kids will be given more chances to secure a HDB.

But with the price of more than half a million for new 4-rm HDB, my Singaporean friends are indeed turning into Resale and Private.

And my Singaporean friends are going to visit my friend in Iskanda next month. That's where the affordable "hope" is.

Thanks,
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by richwang
    Yes, Singles will be allowed to buy first hand HDB.
    Married couple with kids will be given more chances to secure a HDB.

But with the price of more than half a million for new 4-rm HDB, my Singaporean friends are indeed turning into Resale and Private.

And my Singaporean friends are going to visit my friend in Iskanda next month. That's where the affordable "hope" is.

Thanks,
    Richard
    WALAU!!! REALLY! Single allowed to buy HDB??
    WOOHOO!! My next purchase is another penthouse in a EC!

Or is it still JOINT-Singles.

Quote Originally Posted by focus
    WALAU!!! REALLY! Single allowed to buy HDB??
    WOOHOO!! My next purchase is another penthouse in a EC!

Or is it still JOINT-Singles.
    you are not qualified as u stay in PC, income must be < 5k

Quote Originally Posted by Regulators
    .... The medisave account for kids is bullshit lah, what can that small ang pow do to alleviate cost for parents? If I take over the ministry, I think I got more ideas than the minister now.
    Actually, I think a little still goes a long way.... as you know, once you have a bb with birth defect (no matter how minor), it will be damn difficult to buy protection for them ... So perhaps, this will help

Quote Originally Posted by bigbertha
    Actually, I think a little still goes a long way.... as you know, once you have a bb with birth defect (no matter how minor), it will be damn difficult to buy protection for them ... So perhaps, this will help
    Guess if you pay a little forward, you expect a little progress, it is all good.

Problem if you pay a little and expect birth rates to shoot up exponentially.

Declare every year as dragon year !!! How about phoenix year made in Singapore

In a brutal society, how can pro-creation be any less brutal
    Next time parents must sit for KSLE to enter top preschools

If the delivery and hospitalisation charges amount to $20k, and the govt gives your newborn kid $1k in the account, how long a way can it go for low income parents, might as well not give. Mark my words, the medisave top up will be grossly insufficient to cover the hospitalisation and medical expenses. In any case, medisave is a useless account that does nothing more than tying people's money down, i would rather use that money locked inside to buy more insurance. I think it would make more sense for the govt to commit to paying for the child's insurance for the first 10 years of his life rather than just topping up the medisave with a kachang puteh amount

Quote Originally Posted by bigbertha

lol, PM Lee should just use the above ad

If the delivery and hospitalisation charges amount to $20k, and the govt gives your newborn kid $1k in the account, how long a way can it go for low income parents, might as well not give. Mark my words, the medisave top up will be grossly insufficient to cover the hospitalisation and medical expenses. In any case, medisave is a useless account that does nothing more than tying people's money down, i would rather use that money locked inside to buy more insurance. I think it would make more sense for the govt to commit to paying for the child's insurance for the first 10 years of his life rather than just topping up the medisave with a kachang puteh amount
    can you run for politics? u will surely have my vote

on the issue of kacang puteh amount in medisave, KenoBiWan spent just $8/- for his heart surgery leh!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by phantom_opera

Very creative ad indeed. LIKE

I have two couple friends. First couple pay through their nose in singapore for delivery of first baby, can't even afford post-natal care in singapore, every damn thing they charge like nobody's business here. My second couple friend gave birth to a kid in UK, pre-natal, delivery and post-natal care all fully paid for her by the UK government despite her being a foreigner. After delivery the nurse even went to her hostel for follow up visits at no cost. So ironical, singaporean kenna ketok by our own system in our own country and singaporean in UK get treated so well at no cost by an overseas healthcare system. Our population is so small compared to other big countries, don't understand why govt can't even commit to providing free medical benefits for newborn. I am not a father but i can empathise with young couples starting out as parents with the heavy financial burden that unfortunately or PM doesn't see

Quote Originally Posted by eng81157
    can you run for politics? u will surely have my vote

on the issue of kacang puteh amount in medisave, KenoBiWan spent just $8/- for his heart surgery leh!!!!

I have two couple friends. First couple pay through their nose in singapore for delivery of first baby, can't even afford post-natal care in singapore, every damn thing they charge like nobody's business here. My second couple friend gave birth to a kid in UK, pre-natal, delivery and post-natal care all fully paid for her by the UK government despite her being a foreigner. After delivery the nurse even went to her hostel for follow up visits at no cost. So ironical, singaporean kenna ketok by our own system in our own country and singaporean in UK get treated so well at no cost by an overseas healthcare system. Our population is so small compared to other big countries, don't understand why govt can't even commit to providing free medical benefits for newborn. I am not a father but i can empathise with young couples starting out as parents with the heavy financial burden that unfortunately or PM doesn't see
    PM already said our system very brutal, dun expect money falls from sky as 1/7 of budget already comes from growth of reserve

UK income tax is 40% ... GST is 17.5% ... u want Singapore to be like that?

Singapore is a system that rewards the investment savvy and the rich and give just enough for the poor to have a roof while the middle class is limping along

The problem is the investment savvy may not want to have many babies if they count everything as investment ..

I have two couple friends. First couple pay through their nose in singapore for delivery of first baby, can't even afford post-natal care in singapore, every damn thing they charge like nobody's business here. My second couple friend gave birth to a kid in UK, pre-natal, delivery and post-natal care all fully paid for her by the UK government despite her being a foreigner. After delivery the nurse even went to her hostel for follow up visits at no cost. ....
    does your UK couple friend work in UK and pay taxes in UK?
    can discreetly inquire the tax amount they pay?

if no need pay tax, and "all pre-natal, delivery, post-natal care all fully paid by UK govt" also applicable to foreign tourist, i will ask my mistress to go there deliver.

bah, should change to
    your husband has started to call the maid "wifey".

both friends stated in my example are both singaporeans and they do not work in uk, they work in singapore. The one that gave birth in uk was just a student then. I cited the two examples to illustrate how compassionate the uk system is extending healthcare to even to non tax paying foreigners while our system here is simply focused charging exhorbitantly on healthcare services. Some of you may argue that the system allows it becoz of the high tax rate, but the high salaries in these countries square off against the high tax rate so it all boils down to whether our govt wants to do it or not. Our singaporeans population is only 3 million and how many of those are child bearing mothers every year, think about it. Is helping to pay the medical expenses of a small number of mothers every year going to deplete resources in the government coffers terribly? Govt is simply giving lame excuses to avoid such crucial spending while putting in all their effort justifying having tintin in politics and flushing $15k a month down the longkang. They still haven't found their bearings all this while.
    Quote Originally Posted by hopeful
    does your UK couple friend work in UK and pay taxes in UK?
    can discreetly inquire the tax amount they pay?

if no need pay tax, and "all pre-natal, delivery, post-natal care all fully paid by UK govt" also applicable to foreign tourist, i will ask my mistress to go there deliver.

both friends stated in my example are both singaporeans and they do not work in uk, they work in singapore. The one that gave birth in uk was just a student then.
    Students paid already, tuition fees ... I was admitted to hospital for free too, visited dental for free too, but I paid tuition fees

fees is fees, tax is tax. Are you saying foreign students paying full fees to come to singapore to study should also be entitled to our healthcare subsidies?
    Students paid already, tuition fees ... I was admitted to hospital for free too, visited dental for free too, but I paid tuition fees

I think it would make more sense for the govt to commit to paying for the child's insurance for the first 10 years of his life rather than just topping up the medisave with a kachang puteh amount
    Super like ... if you ever run for office with this slogan, I will "kee chew" for you !!

are you the real Bertha Henson??

Quote Originally Posted by carbuncle
    are you the real Bertha Henson??
    Who ?

More like this old but hopefully still good :

PM should just use this logo

Allow singles to buy but ...

Analysts propose restrictions, sociologists ask for housing policies to be delinked from Government's pro-family stance
    by Woo Sian Boon
    Updated 12:29 PM Aug 28, 2012
    SINGAPORE - Allow singles to buy a new Build-to-Order (BTO) flat with another single friend or relative. Limit the sizes of the flats that singles can buy directly from the HDB and restrict them to buying units in non-mature estates. Place singles in the same queue as second-time buyers for BTO projects.
    Extend the Top-up Grant to singles who buy BTO units. Currently, this scheme allows singles above 35 who bought resale flats to qualify for more subsidies after they tie the knot.
    These were some of the suggestions floated by property analysts TODAY spoke to, in light of Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong's announcement during Sunday's National Day Rally that the Government is considering allowing singles to buy flats directly from HDB.
    Currently, singles who are above 35 can only buy flats in the resale market.
    However, views were divided among the property analysts on whether HDB should make it easier for unwed mothers to buy BTO flats as compared to singles, given that unwed mothers would have greater need for a home. Those not in favour felt that doing so could send a wrong signal.
    However, sociologists TODAY spoke to were adamant that the Government delink housing policies from its pro-family stance.
    National University of Singapore (NUS) sociologist Tan Ern Ser said: "Most young people buy a flat so that they can set up their matrimonial homes; rather than get married in order to qualify for a flat. The implication is that a person who remains single, whether by choice or necessity, will not decide on marriage or marry for the heck of it, just to qualify for a flat. The same logic applies to unwed mothers."
    Sociologist and former Nominated Member of Parliament Paulin Straughan added: "Certainly, we don't want to encourage people to get married just for the sake of getting a flat, that's all the wrong reasons for marriage."
    Associate Professor Straughan felt that allowing singles to buy flats directly from HDB is overdue, given the increasing number of Singaporeans who are choosing not to get married.
    "This is a reaction to the emerging demographic trends where the proportion of singles are increasing. I think we are looking at the percentage of post 35 year-olds … especially women, in that category, it has been rising year on year," she said.
    Should distinction be made?
    Still, property analysts felt that a distinction has to be made between married couples and singles, when it comes to buying a BTO flat.
    Mr Chris Koh, Director of Chris International, said: "There is a fine line here ... We are on one hand encouraging couples to get married and have children, and we want to give them priority in getting a brand new flat, but if we kind of signal that, be a single and you can also get a brand new flat, then people will be asking, why get married?"
    One suggestion was to allow singles to buy only BTO flats of limited size and to reserve larger flats for married couples.
    Chesterton Suntec International research and consultancy head Colin Tan pointed out that, given that BTO flats are subsidised, allowing singles to buy such units without extra restrictions on, for instance, flat size - just as a married couple could - would theoretically mean they would enjoy "double subsidies".
    In addition to smaller flats, Mr Koh suggested that singles should only be allowed to buy BTO flats in non-mature estates. To ensure that newly-wed couples are given priority to get their first homes, Mr Koh also suggested that singles be placed in the queue for second-timers when balloting for BTO flats.
    The property analysts felt that, ultimately, any new policy will focus on encouraging singles to tie the knot, even after getting the keys to their new flats.
    Assoc Prof Straughan reiterated that housing is "a basic need, it is not icing on the cake". "You can't deny a Singaporean of a basic need just because they don't conform to the ideal family types," she said.
    Association of Women for Action and Research Executive Director Corinna Lim said that singles "should not be excluded from society".
    "Singles pay taxes like anyone else, so they shouldn't be deprived of these benefits," she added.

Allow singles to buy but ...

Analysts propose restrictions, sociologists ask for housing policies to be delinked from Government's pro-family stance
    by Woo Sian Boon
    Updated 12:29 PM Aug 28, 2012
    SINGAPORE - Allow singles to buy a new Build-to-Order (BTO) flat with another single friend or relative. Limit the sizes of the flats that singles can buy directly from the HDB and restrict them to buying units in non-mature estates. Place singles in the same queue as second-time buyers for BTO projects.
    Extend the Top-up Grant to singles who buy BTO units. Currently, this scheme allows singles above 35 who bought resale flats to qualify for more subsidies after they tie the knot.
    These were some of the suggestions floated by property analysts TODAY spoke to, in light of Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong's announcement during Sunday's National Day Rally that the Government is considering allowing singles to buy flats directly from HDB.
    Currently, singles who are above 35 can only buy flats in the resale market.
    However, views were divided among the property analysts on whether HDB should make it easier for unwed mothers to buy BTO flats as compared to singles, given that unwed mothers would have greater need for a home. Those not in favour felt that doing so could send a wrong signal.
    However, sociologists TODAY spoke to were adamant that the Government delink housing policies from its pro-family stance.
    National University of Singapore (NUS) sociologist Tan Ern Ser said: "Most young people buy a flat so that they can set up their matrimonial homes; rather than get married in order to qualify for a flat. The implication is that a person who remains single, whether by choice or necessity, will not decide on marriage or marry for the heck of it, just to qualify for a flat. The same logic applies to unwed mothers."
    Sociologist and former Nominated Member of Parliament Paulin Straughan added: "Certainly, we don't want to encourage people to get married just for the sake of getting a flat, that's all the wrong reasons for marriage."
    Associate Professor Straughan felt that allowing singles to buy flats directly from HDB is overdue, given the increasing number of Singaporeans who are choosing not to get married.
    "This is a reaction to the emerging demographic trends where the proportion of singles are increasing. I think we are looking at the percentage of post 35 year-olds … especially women, in that category, it has been rising year on year," she said.
    Should distinction be made?
    Still, property analysts felt that a distinction has to be made between married couples and singles, when it comes to buying a BTO flat.
    Mr Chris Koh, Director of Chris International, said: "There is a fine line here ... We are on one hand encouraging couples to get married and have children, and we want to give them priority in getting a brand new flat, but if we kind of signal that, be a single and you can also get a brand new flat, then people will be asking, why get married?"
    One suggestion was to allow singles to buy only BTO flats of limited size and to reserve larger flats for married couples.
    Chesterton Suntec International research and consultancy head Colin Tan pointed out that, given that BTO flats are subsidised, allowing singles to buy such units without extra restrictions on, for instance, flat size - just as a married couple could - would theoretically mean they would enjoy "double subsidies".
    In addition to smaller flats, Mr Koh suggested that singles should only be allowed to buy BTO flats in non-mature estates. To ensure that newly-wed couples are given priority to get their first homes, Mr Koh also suggested that singles be placed in the queue for second-timers when balloting for BTO flats.
    The property analysts felt that, ultimately, any new policy will focus on encouraging singles to tie the knot, even after getting the keys to their new flats.
    Assoc Prof Straughan reiterated that housing is "a basic need, it is not icing on the cake". "You can't deny a Singaporean of a basic need just because they don't conform to the ideal family types," she said.
    Association of Women for Action and Research Executive Director Corinna Lim said that singles "should not be excluded from society".
    "Singles pay taxes like anyone else, so they shouldn't be deprived of these benefits," she added.
    this will further drive up demand for BTOs and when demand outstrips supply, prices can only head in one direction - UP!!!!

Maybe they could kill two birds with one stone. Establish a 'Singles-Only' colony where apartments are reserved strictly for singles. these folks can mingle around and who knows? Get hitched, married n have babies

They can hold orgys in the void deck. RC will sponsor free flow Heineken. No condoms allowed.

They can hold orgys in the void deck. RC will sponsor free flow Heineken. No condoms allowed.
    nudist parties...

Karaoke and 'karaoke' at the same time. lol