Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sisters sue brother for landed property

Default Sisters sue brother for landed property

http://www.straitstimes.com/breaking...house-20120828

Another brutality ... passionately brutal according to carbuncle
    Ride at your own risk !!!

when it come to $$$$....no more brother/sister..no more husband/wife...no more parent/children...

thats why the saying..money is root of all evil....

Correction...LOVE of money. Money by itself is not evil.

Quote Originally Posted by radha08
    when it come to $$$$....no more brother/sister..no more husband/wife...no more parent/children...

thats why the saying..LOVE of money is root of all evil....
    edited,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by radha08
    edited,,,,
    Is the greed for money, ...kekeke

Btw, u are not editing right ?

Believe such family tussle is not so straight forward.

Quote Originally Posted by DC33_2008
    ya maybe last time small that time the brother steal the sisters barbie doll...now become big sister sue brother..haha...hope they have fun...SUEING

That is another reason why I always tell my parents not to subject their children to such potential headaches and disputes. Neither will i subject my children to such painful disputes when I still have the capacity to dictate things.

For it to go all the way to the courts means the brother is simply selfish and unwilling to split the asset. Indeed its not so simple. 6 siblings but only 3 are in disputes??? Hmmm... the others probably also adopting the watch and wait mentality...

It is human nature. Hypothetically, if there is just a slight tinge of doubt in the will and your parents left a $100 million mansion to your brother leaving you out, I am sure you will contest the will, am I right?
    Quote Originally Posted by ysyap
    For it to go all the way to the courts means the brother is simply selfish and unwilling to split the asset. Indeed its not so simple. 6 siblings but only 3 are in disputes??? Hmmm... the others probably also adopting the watch and wait mentality...

Quote Originally Posted by Regulators
    It is human nature. Hypothetically, if there is just a slight tinge of doubt in the will and your parents left a $100 million mansion to your brother leaving you out, I am sure you will contest the will, am I right?
    Human nature indeed... it would be good if the brother is wiling to share that asset with the other siblings and the siblings would talk to the brother about it. If things escalate to the courts, it probably meant that the discussions and earlier talks have collapsed. That is my assumption but human nature it is... LOVE OF MONEY! Must learn to be contented to be happy. Otherwise even $100mil will not make a person happy coz he will always think another dollar wil make him happier... Lol!

Just think of it, how many families would break up over $100k not to mention $8 million. although you may be on gd terms with my siblings, I am very sure there will still be jealousy and feeling of hate if your parents left everything to u and nothing to them. No fault of anyone to feel that way, just natural human feeling unless that feeling is curbed by godly teaching.
    Human nature indeed... it would be good if the brother is wiling to share that asset with the other siblings and the siblings would talk to the brother about it. If things escalate to the courts, it probably meant that the discussions and earlier talks have collapsed. That is my assumption but human nature it is... LOVE OF MONEY! Must learn to be contented to be happy. Otherwise even $100mil will not make a person happy coz he will always think another dollar wil make him happier... Lol!

Hi.. This is why I want my families to stay under ONE roof.

I think the problem is complex for the brother because he is living in the house. If the mother's estate claims the house, he has to cough out nearly $6.7M to continue staying there.

Firstly, the will excluded this asset. Secondly, the asset was under his name since 1974.

Lastly, the trust arrangement was designed to evade complications in case of a business failure... this means that it was not an honourable intent.

These rich people set up all these legal loopholes to protect their money but forgot to tie up the loose ends before they passed on leaving their offsprings to feud over it.

Quote Originally Posted by yowetan
    That is worse... when you pass on, who gets the house?

That is another reason why I always tell my parents not to subject their children to such potential headaches and disputes. Neither will i subject my children to such painful disputes when I still have the capacity to dictate things.
    Even if you leave a will, siblings may still contest; and their lawyer can come up with all excuses: parent was mentally incapacitated, forced to sign the will etc.

Do what my friend is going to do: she has already told her two sons that she and her husband will leave nothing for them. Their HDB flat will be sold to fund their retirement expenses. She told me that she does not have more than $1k in her savings account at any one time and yes, she has no other savings apart from CPF, which is quite miserable as she has not been holding a full time job for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Beebot
    Even if you leave a will, siblings may still contest; and their lawyer can come up with all excuses: parent was mentally incapacitated, forced to sign the will etc.

Do what my friend is going to do: she has already told her two sons that she and her husband will leave nothing for them. Their HDB flat will be sold to fund their retirement expenses. She told me that she does not have more than $1k in her savings account at any one time and yes, she has no other savings apart from CPF, which is quite miserable as she has not been holding a full time job for a long time.
    Actually the parents holds the key to ensuring that possibilities of such disputes will be minimized. Parents with 2 kids must have leave something for each of them and before they hand in their I/C, must tell the kids I'm leaving this and this to you and that and that to your bro/sis. If both ok, then chance of dispute is minimized. External factors that alters the value of what is left behind is simply beyond the parents' control so that cannot be avoided liao...

If what is reported of Bill and Melinda Gates is true, then I like their philosophy of giving their fortunes to various charities and leaving just enough for their children to be self sufficient.

Actually the parents holds the key to ensuring that possibilities of such disputes will be minimized. Parents with 2 kids must have leave something for each of them and before they hand in their I/C, must tell the kids I'm leaving this and this to you and that and that to your bro/sis. If both ok, then chance of dispute is minimized. External factors that alters the value of what is left behind is simply beyond the parents' control so that cannot be avoided liao...
    Even that can be problematic. The children may say, "Why you gave xxx to her and not me?" or "The things you gave to xxx are more expensive than the ones you gave me." This example is a true case I've come across. It never ends.

And to add on, the problems get more complicated once the children's spouses are involved, which they invariably will. Often, the spouses add fuel to fire. Came across many such cases, including personal encounters.

Quote Originally Posted by yowetan
    What if they can't get along? Don't forget, once your children get married, spouses are involved and the drama becomes more complicated.

Best not to have any expectations.

Probably influenced by Warren Buffett but not as extreme.. for the Gates "just enough" could be in millions..

If what is reported of Bill and Melinda Gates is true, then I like their philosophy of giving their fortunes to various charities and leaving just enough for their children to be self sufficient.

Even that can be problematic. The children may say, "Why you gave xxx to her and not me?" or "The things you gave to xxx are more expensive than the ones you gave me." This example is a true case I've come across. It never ends.

And to add on, the problems get more complicated once the children's spouses are involved, which they invariably will. Often, the spouses add fuel to fire. Came across many such cases, including personal encounters.
    That is why I mentioned parents will speak and negotiate with their children first, give them mental preparation so chance of it erupting is greatly reduced. Of course greed comes along even after things are thought to be settled. As I said, parents hold the key to reduce/minimize such conflicts but not eradicate them...

Depends on quantum involved and individual wealth... in this case, $8m makes a difference. If $800k, maybe does not make any difference to their personal wealth after dividing, then maybe no fighting lor.

There is a price for everything... even 亲情

on a lighter note at least this family brother/sister no need to worry about..."COE/COV"....only...."SUE"....

Quote Originally Posted by stiook
    Depends on quantum involved and individual wealth... in this case, $8m makes a difference. If $800k, maybe does not make any difference to their personal wealth after dividing, then maybe no fighting lor.

There is a price for everything... even 亲情
    Ya, $8m really makes a great difference. I had come across a case, only a few hundred thousand dollars and already causing so much conflict and unhappiness.

Mother was staying with her unmarried son. She passed her house title deed to her son to safekeep and instructed him that her house to be shared among the siblings. His son then passed the title deed to his sister to safekeep it because he thought that he would be the one to die first as he was so much older than his sister. In the end his sister died first and later the brother also died, the title deed was then passed back to the brother's daughter. After selling the house, profit supposed to be shared out among the uncles & aunties but his daughter's husband asked her to keep all the money, scolding her for being so stupid to share out the profit.

The mother's will should be written very carefully and indicate the share of the next generation (her kids) or auntie/uncle if only. The % of each share is clear. The will of the subsequent generation split based on the original share. The best is to sell when one of the the children pass away. It gets complicated when it passes on. This will lead to tussle amongst the cousins.
    Quote Originally Posted by irisng
    Ya, $8m really makes a great difference. I had come across a case, only a few hundred thousand dollars and already causing so much conflict and unhappiness.

Mother was staying with her unmarried son. She passed her house title deed to her son to safekeep and instructed him that her house to be shared among the siblings. His son then passed the title deed to his sister to safekeep it because he thought that he would be the one to die first as he was so much older than his sister. In the end his sister died first and later the brother also died, the title deed was then passed back to the brother's daughter. After selling the house, profit supposed to be shared out among the uncles & aunties but his daughter's husband asked her to keep all the money, scolding her for being so stupid to share out the profit.

The mother's will should be written very carefully and indicate the share of the next generation (her kids) or auntie/uncle if only. The % of each share is clear. The will of the subsequent generation split based on the original share. The best is to sell when one of the the children pass away. It gets complicated when it passes on. This will lead to tussle amongst the cousins.
    The problem is it is just a 3 room HDB flat and the older generations are not educated and not well-off.

Quote Originally Posted by howgozit
    That is worse... when you pass on, who gets the house?

This sort of thing usually happen when you put everyone under one roof, some will want to sell while other want to stay, some will expect to have a bigger share because they look after the old folks, while others believe it should be split equally. some family believe sons should get more than daughter etc

Human relationship is complex enough. Add in money and the complexity increases exponentially...

Human relationship is complex enough. Add in money and the complexity increases exponentially...
    With Money you can buy a house but not a home.

WITH Money you can buy a clock but not time.

WITH Money you can buy a bed but not sleep.

WITH Money you can buy a book but not knowledge.

WITH Money you can see a doctor but not good health.

WITH Money you can buy a position but not respect.

WITH Money you can buy bllod but not life.

WITH Money you can buy sex but not love.

Wow!, got so many things money cannot buy