Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What will you do if you have 1mil on hand?

Quote Originally Posted by Vincegoh
    i value liquidity turnaround... ppty takes way too long to release if things go awry. as such, i believe in having a nice roof to live in and then for investments go for alternative sources for portfolio diversification. but that's just my personal view. i know many here are landlords who did extremely well.. juz tat i'm too noob to dare put all my eggs in 1 basket (ppty as an asset class).
    Each investor have their own risk appetite and investment preferences. Moral of the story is to have a balanced asset portfolio but keep some reserves as a buffer.

Quote Originally Posted by Nman
    Yah hor, by the way how to save in CPF to get the 4% interest? monthly or lumpsum? thanks
    Log into cpf website and e-nets payment directly into your MA or into 3 accounts.

Quote Originally Posted by Laguna
    My two cents:

1. If it is the first property, then no objection to be in property
    2. If it is your second property and u must assess what are the asset classes available to u.

Property now is almost at all time high, as such, down side risk is greater, and couple with the fact it is illiquid, thus may not be a wise choice.

The best option is perhaps REIT, there is property as well.

$1m at 6% yield, with $1m leverage at cost of about 1.5%, net yield is 4.5%, so u have an overall net yield of 10.5%, tax free.

The other option is bond or bond fund.

Those have a $1,000,000 spare cash can always have party with me to share share.
    i dun hab 1 mil spare cash.. in fact i dun even haf 1 mil of net assets. lidat during your sharing party can i be the waiter and serve u & your guests drinks (so hopefully can gather some snippets of investment wisdom)?

Quote Originally Posted by proper-t
    Each investor have their own risk appetite and investment preferences. Moral of the story is to have a balanced asset portfolio but keep some reserves as a buffer.
    this statement i agree wholeheartedly.

same goes for ppty mah.
    Yes. But i will gladly leverage when comes to property than these.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosy
    Yes. But i will gladly leverage when comes to property than these.
    dun really understand the logic of your argument. seems emotionally driven.

if A = B and A = C, why will B > C?

anyway, everyone gotch their own preferences lah.

I learnt a lot from my own mistakes and passing on my experience to my children.

There are 3 types of investors
    1. anticipate the change and invest
    2. participate in the change and invest
    3. did not know the change and invest

(I cannot remember the correct wordings...)

That is why I read widely now, the number in itself is meaningless, and too many numbers and facts and clouds around....

U need to read in depth the numbers and interprete them carefully to make a move.

dun really understand the logic of your argument. seems emotionally driven.

if A = B and A = C, why will B > C?

anyway, everyone gotch their own preferences lah.
    It is different.

Property mortgage loan having the least risk of bank calling for topping up.

However, beware of equity loan if you refinance your property.

If you are single and has a roof over your head, use the money to go enjoy all the good things that life gets to offer, and keep some in safe reserve/life insurance.

Why worry so much about LH or FH bricks and get chained down.
    Tomorrow may never come.

One mistake ppl make is risk must be assessed individually i.e. risk is relative, not absolute

For Laguna, leverage bond or REIT may be of little risk to him it could be very risky for another person

I find it funny also ppl rather pay their insurance agents/companies and get locked in 30-40y to see non-guaranteed 4% pa return compared to putting a fraction of their income into CPF SA which could be tax exempted
    Ride at your own risk !!!

It is different.

Property mortgage loan having the least risk of bank calling for topping up.

However, beware of equity loan if you refinance your property.
    we can go into a much longer and detailed discussion on this.. but i guess i will respect we have our differences in opinion. all the best!

Quote Originally Posted by proper-t
    Sorry, but currencies and paper money are what I trust least in these times. Tangible assets are the way to go.
    any investment vehicle has its risks; property has its downsides too.

i, for one, will definitely not park my monies in CPF SA. it's just giving HO HO Ka-CHING more resources to flush down the drain with stupid investments. then all the government needs to do is up the withdrawal age, raise the minimum sum limits and come up with another cock program, e.g. annuity. all that's left is a sum of money that you can see on paper, but can't touch

Quote Originally Posted by phantom_opera
    One mistake ppl make is risk must be assessed individually i.e. risk is relative, not absolute

For Laguna, leverage bond or REIT may be of little risk to him it could be very risky for another person

I find it funny also ppl rather pay their insurance agents/companies and get locked in 30-40y to see non-guaranteed 4% pa return compared to putting a fraction of their income into CPF SA which could be tax exempted
    insurance (excluding investment linked), serves alternative purposes vs CPF SA.

every type of investment carries it's own pros n cons. end of day, it's being able to evaluate each objectively and also making sure u assign the correct values to each pro & con (based on your own perspective and life) and making the correct allocation in accordance to these principles.

so, everyone could have different allocations and all will be right. but one thing that i cannot accept nor comprehend is putting all eggs into 1 singular entity just becos one can't wrap their heads around other alternatives. need to have an open mind...

As a trader, leverage is the norm.
    I did not leverage heavily this round for the REIT and bonds...

One thing good about these two is I can run any time..take back my cash and wait for the next good fish...unlike properties..

i can't use SA monies to pay for healthcare needs. insurance is meant for an entirely different need

insurance (excluding investment linked), serves alternative purposes vs CPF SA.
    if you have 1m spare cash and at least 2 properties fully paid up, you won't need insurance

Quote Originally Posted by eng81157
    i can't use SA monies to pay for healthcare needs. insurance is meant for an entirely different need
    i am talking ILP and endowment, not term insurance

if you have 1m spare cash and at least 2 properties fully paid up, you won't need insurance
    yeah, indeed. insurance is for the poor, less so for the rich.

but problem is, most pple (me definitely included) falls under the class of the less privileged.

i am talking ILP and endowment, not term insurance
    ILP is crap and stupid. why pay a fund manager to invest my monies when i can sit behind my screen (like now ) to do it personally?

Quote Originally Posted by ekl2ekl2
    If you are single and has a roof over your head, use the money to go enjoy all the good things that life gets to offer, and keep some in safe reserve/life insurance.

Why worry so much about LH or FH bricks and get chained down.
    Tomorrow may never come.
    yah loh.. mayan calendar said the world ending on 20 dec 2012. akan datang.. better spend now and enjoy life (within one's means).

if overspend, then regardless whether world comes to an end as the mayans predicted, then ur world will still come to an end after 2012.

any investment vehicle has its risks; property has its downsides too.

i, for one, will definitely not park my monies in CPF SA. it's just giving HO HO Ka-CHING more resources to flush down the drain with stupid investments. then all the government needs to do is up the withdrawal age, raise the minimum sum limits and come up with another cock program, e.g. annuity. all that's left is a sum of money that you can see on paper, but can't touch
    Agree on SA part.

One should only consider topping up MA and IRAS is having VC-MA tax relief since 2009.

ILP is crap and stupid. why pay a fund manager to invest my monies when i can sit behind my screen (like now ) to do it personally?
    again, this seems to sweep all under one stroke.

for plan vanilla funds, indeed one can replicate the fund and save the mgmt fee. but for more complex and cross regional funds (i.e. foreign exposure which may be restricted to retail access), it's sometimes wiser to let others to do the job for u.

i.e. u dun do everything in your life just becos u can do it. u hire domestic helpers to clean your house, u eat at restaurants instead of cooking every meal yourself, u engage ppty agents to do paperwork and sell your house instead of DIY.. and the list goes on.

end of day, it's deciding what u can do yourself and what u shld trust others to perform for u.

ps: i'm totally not into ILPs too! but am positively leaning towards funds that allow for exposure to regions and instruments that i will otherwise be excluded from.

Medishield is a must-have.

Bond funds and unit trust etc are managed by fund managers as well

again, this seems to sweep all under one stroke.

for plan vanilla funds, indeed one can replicate the fund and save the mgmt fee. but for more complex and cross regional funds (i.e. foreign exposure which may be restricted to retail access), it's sometimes wiser to let others to do the job for u.

i.e. u dun do everything in your life just becos u can do it. u hire domestic helpers to clean your house, u eat at restaurants instead of cooking every meal yourself, u engage ppty agents to do paperwork and sell your house instead of DIY.. and the list goes on.

end of day, it's deciding what u can do yourself and what u shld trust others to perform for u.

ps: i'm totally not into ILPs too! but am positively leaning towards funds that allow for exposure to regions and instruments that i will otherwise be excluded from.
    fully agreed
    yesterday, I spent the whole day looking into Investment Link Note...and conclusion : Don't touch......

Just put in bank and collect the interest.... some paying 1% now.... that's 10k a year.

Else if I still not sick of managing tenants and buying properties, buy two el cheapo shoeboxes. Or one old walkup reno nice nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Laguna
    fully agreed
    yesterday, I spent the whole day looking into Investment Link Note...and conclusion : Don't touch......
    ILNs are punter's instruments. can play for fun at times.. but not as core investment.

Quote Originally Posted by carbuncle
    Just put in bank and collect the interest.... some paying 1% now.... that's 10k a year.

Else if I still not sick of managing tenants and buying properties, buy two el cheapo shoeboxes. Or one old walkup reno nice nice.
    actually hor, one sideline u can do is set up a ppty mgmt company that helps other landlords who are too busy to manage their portfolio of ppties. shld be lucrative especially since u are familiar with the tricks of the trade.

ILNs are punter's instruments. can play for fun at times.. but not as core investment.
    Many of the financial instruments are not suitable for average Joe and yet bankers are pushing them for their comm.

For those who are thinking of buying bond funds, you can diy using fundsupermart platform. Some of their bond funds are having zero sales charge. However, there is a small platform fees.

Many of the financial instruments are not suitable for average Joe and yet bankers are pushing them for their comm.

For those who are thinking of buying bond funds, you can diy using fundsupermart platform. Some of their bond funds are having zero sales charge. However, there is a small platform fees.
    key is taking the time out to understand the investment and whether it fits your profile and not just trust the salesperson selling u koyok.

yeah, fundsupermart is a good starting tool for retail investors who's willing to DIY and read up on the many funds listed on the platform. but from my experience most pple do not know how to discern whether one fund is more superior than the other cos they are not that comfortable going thru the prospectus and understanding the mechanics behind the fund. so still impt to get some advice from professionals (on the product specs but not on how much $$ the investment can return).