Thread: Watches as assets

Default Watches as assets

Does anyone here believe in collecting watches as assets, especially automatic ones?

Any particular brands or features worth looking out for?

Thanks for advice if any.

This is an interview with watch collector Dr Bernard Cheong.

http://www.np.edu.sg/library/resourc...17.06.12mm.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by buttercarp
    This is an interview with watch collector Dr Bernard Cheong.

http://www.np.edu.sg/library/resourc...17.06.12mm.pdf
    Thanks, it's just bewildering to me that people will spend above 10k, much less to say hundreds of thousands for watches. But have relatives who do that, so really struggle to understand. In practical aspects already suffering, why spend on watches when there are easier and better ways to use money?

My brother-in-law also has a lot of watches. Wear what clothing goes with what types of watches. I also feel so difficult to understand. I would rather use this money for travel or better still, buy ppty, haha.

Because buy watch is 10k.. Buy property is like 100 times that! So cannot afford to get property at least park the $ in appreciating asset like watches.

And can even show off. Haha..

At least I think that's what my relos are thinking when they spend like that!!

I personally only have one watch.... So I'm just tcss here..

Nowadays smartphones better than watches haa haa....

But I think if collect those limited edition Rolex watches will appreciate in value one.

Quote Originally Posted by Sleepyhead
    Because buy watch is 10k.. Buy property is like 100 times that! So cannot afford to get property at least park the $ in appreciating asset like watches.

And can even show off. Haha..

At least I think that's what my relos are thinking when they spend like that!!

I personally only have one watch.... So I'm just tcss here..
    I also have one decent watch which I use it daily.
    The other few cheap ones were bought at pasar malam, which I use it when I go to market or the gym.

No, I don't thick a watch collector collect watch to profit on it.
    Look at Bernard Cheong.... He even forgot about those watches that was left in storage. I think it is a passion.

Default Passion

My friend told me, when you have spent so much time with a watch, you can feel the interaction with it, a kind of pet feel.

Thanks,
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Kelonguni
    Thanks, it's just bewildering to me that people will spend above 10k, much less to say hundreds of thousands for watches. But have relatives who do that, so really struggle to understand. In practical aspects already suffering, why spend on watches when there are easier and better ways to use money?
    Watch is like a 'addict' , once u own one , u tend to want more..is like an appreciation of fine wine. It will capture you before u know it ..10k over watch is quite normal , there are some cost even far far more ...

Some ppl spend alot of money on it, and if they can afford , why not?

there is a lot of wannabe so called watch collector. thinking that it will bring them into the rich and powerful clout of society if they follow suit and beef up on the knowledge.

to me, such people are the same as those who attend church service just to network and sell their wares.

I think an automatic is more like a toy rather than a timepiece. After all, the hp time is more accurate.

But I don't mind having nice & ex toys

Don't wear watches, smart phone does everything and more...

1 question for the novice, since we're talking like they're investments.

After walking out of a watch shop with a 10k watch, how much can you sell it for? What is the immediate depreciation?

Does anyone here believe in collecting watches as assets, especially automatic ones?

Any particular brands or features worth looking out for?

Thanks for advice if any.
    U may want to Ping Decksurgeon who is a newbie in this forum. I know that certain brands like Patek holds its value well.

Those like perpertual and tourbillion watches are like the peak of the game.

If u buy the right model,watches will bring u lotsa $$$$.
    quote u guys an example here: rolex sports daytona stainless steel from the 70s',was going for 2-3k back than..now its worth easily 70-80k if its in good condition. Some were even sold for more than 100k for the daytona "paul newman" model.
    Another example: basic panerai model (manual winding watch) launched during early 90s' which was sold for around 2k is now going for 50k plus n its very much sought after..
    its all about buying the right model @ the right price..just like property!

Quote Originally Posted by fiat500
    quote u guys an example here: rolex sports daytona stainless steel from the 70s',was going for 2-3k back than..now its worth easily 70-80k if its in good condition. Some were even sold for more than 100k for the daytona "paul newman" model.
    Another example: basic panerai model (manual winding watch) launched during early 90s' which was sold for around 2k is now going for 50k plus n its very much sought after..
    Thanks for the advice. Do you know how to tell the date of manufacture for specific watches? Any fair source to evaluate the quality and price of these kind of so-called collector watches?

Thanks for the advice. Do you know how to tell the date of manufacture for specific watches? Any fair source to evaluate the quality and price of these kind of so-called collector watches?
    1st,u must have a keen interest in watches..if a watch to u is just to tell time,then i m afraid u will not go very far in watch collection.
    Colour of dial,vintageness,movement of watch etc. forms a big part of the hobby.
    Every brand of watches has their own version to tell the authentication of the make.
    There are many watch collectors shop here in sg which can give evaluation.

1st,u must have a keen interest in watches..if a watch to u is just to tell time,then i m afraid u will not go very far in watch collection.
    Colour of dial,vintageness,movement of watch etc. forms a big part of the hobby.
    Every brand of watches has their own version to tell the authentication of the make.
    There are many watch collectors shop here in sg which can give evaluation.

yeap..
    few shops around.. jw watch and hjwatch...
    few in chinatown as well

check out the link for the dates and series,

http://www.dream-watches.co.uk/rolex_data.html
    rolex now use radom number as many retailer having problems pushing out older date watch

for a vintage pcs, all original parts , without any changes or replacement, worth a fortunes, However the price drop drastically if the parts are being replaced

there're pple already made it in life, with properties and tons of cash.
    can buy a 199k richard miles diamond watch for wife, without a blink.

Thanks very much for the replies!

Don't think Daytona can fetch $70,000 for stainless steel model. More like $15,000.

Quote Originally Posted by cnud
    Don't think Daytona can fetch $70,000 for stainless steel model. More like $15,000.
    Maybe he talking about Steve McQueen model.

Certain watches are good hedge over inflation in the long term. Rolex, Patek, Blancpain are almost certain to be able to fetch some money if you need it as back up.

Quote Originally Posted by chestnut
    Maybe he talking about Steve McQueen model.
    It's Paul Newman..

Quote Originally Posted by cnud
    Fyi,the 15k daytonas are present day daytonas...
    Those above 50k are those 70s models..Of course they have to be in its original condition with dial n hands unchanged n not overly polished..
    Having the original certificate n box will add tremendous value to the watch..

It's Paul Newman..
    Oops, got mixed up. Steve McQueen is explorer. Haha
    Actually must spot the right model. Daytona steel was in so hot demand about 15 years ago when I was looking at it. Selling way above list. Just got the white face last yr for about 12k if I can remember. Those who bot earlier lost money. Actually, to me watches are for enjoyment. Cannot make a lot of money unless u get limited edition. You think about it, how often u use the chrono mode. Almost never. But the watch has character.

My sea dweller > 20 yrs bot at 3.7k can sell at second hand store for about 6 k. So at least did not depreciate. If you buy a new date just guaranteed to lose money.

Cvstos is the next up and coming brand. They doing massive marketing.

My honest advise, don't buy watches for investment. Buy them to enjoy and show your character. After all, men have only a few accessories.

Fyi,the 15k daytonas are present day daytonas...
    Those above 50k are those 70s models..Of course they have to be in its original condition with dial n hands unchanged n not overly polished..
    Having the original certificate n box will add tremendous value to the watch..
    Maybe your value more accurate. I buy already, forgot the price. Wat a joke. Sorri, I not so into watches. Scully u all ask me to buy at 12k I faint.