Thread: MRT works cause cracks in Bukit Timah homes

Default MRT works cause cracks in Bukit Timah homes

MRT works cause cracks in Bukit Timah homes The Land Transport Authority has taken steps to repair damages to several Watten Estate homes, believed to be linked to the construction of the Downtown Line.
    According to The Sunday Times, residents of the terraced and semi-detached houses at Bukit Timah complained that they began noticing hairline cracks in walls inside and outside their homes one to two months ago.

They added that cracks began widening in recent weeks. Besides cracks, some car porch roofs and walls had shifted, and some gates could no longer open.

The houses in the upscale neighbourhood where home prices start in the millions, are across from the site of the upcoming Tan Kah Kee MRT station.

At least 40 homes are believed to be affected, and the LTA has started temporary work to fix the damages, The Sunday Times reported.

The LTA told The Sunday Times that after checks, the houses were found to be structurally safe.

A spokesman told the paper that they will continue to monitor the situation closely. The LTA will also take action the stabilise the ground in the area.
    Transport Minister and the area's Member of Parliament, Mr Lui Tuck Yew, also visited some of the affected homes yesterday evening and spoke with about 50 residents.

Residents said Mr Lui told them that the sinking and cracking due to water seeping out of the underlying soil have happened before in Arab Street back in 2004. They said Mr Lui also told them that he had asked LTA to write to them to confirm that their houses are safe, and to periodically visit the area to ensure that it remained so.

What will happen if the building is deemed unsafe for occupation and needs to be tear down?

Wah, these cracks are no joke man..

Some of them look potentially unsafe for the Hs to be occupied.

This is due to soil movement. They are mainly partition walls which are stilling on the surface of the soil and not on foundation. The internal of the house will be a problem. Should claim against LTA for inconvenience caused besides the remedial work.

Quote Originally Posted by azeoprop
    What will happen if the building is deemed unsafe for occupation and needs to be tear down?

since unsafe for occupation and needs to be tear down, the value is $0 and will be taken over by the govt. But government being generous will compensate $1 and also owner also no need to come up with additional demolition costs, ie govt will bear the cost.

now is a good time to buy the houses. ask for discount.

even if it collapsed gov also won't care. they told u already, it happen in arab street , see it still standing...

hmm for ONCE doesnt pay to be near mrt station...

Quote Originally Posted by radha08
    hmm for ONCE doesnt pay to be near mrt station...
    Looks like it needs to be on the *right* side of the MRT station

Actually very interesting: Watten is not really at the station site. The actual location of the work is on the Duchess side, and there are no such problems at Duchess side. (this station was first named "Duchess")

Of course this side houses cost much more too. The last bungalow behind Hwa Chong was sold for 16mil.

SP Power is going to build a massive 6m underground tunnel that is more than 30km long. This will cut through Holland and Dunern Bukit Timah.
    construction work will start end of the year and end in 2018.

Good luck to the residents there.

http://www.singaporepower.com.sg/irj...1%20to%203.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Ringo33
    SP Power is going to build a massive 6m underground tunnel that is more than 30km long. This will cut through Holland and Dunern Bukit Timah.
    construction work will start end of the year and end in 2018.

Good luck to the residents there.

http://www.singaporepower.com.sg/irj...1%20to%203.pdf
    Too many government agencies covering their own backside due to mis-planning in the years before, and now only rushed out massive construction works simultaneously or one after another. You get this kind of results.

other countries got tsunami..earthquake...volcano...

ours got construction...

Quote Originally Posted by hyenergix
    Too many government agencies covering their own backside due to mis-planning in the years before, and now only rushed out massive construction works simultaneously or one after another. You get this kind of results.
    go to govt hospital ae dept u know how screwed up their planning...so damm crowded...

Quote Originally Posted by radha08
    go to govt hospital ae dept u know how screwed up their planning...so damm crowded...
    I was one of the affected ones in the hospital last year. There was simply not enough beds and I was made to wait for several hours. Even then there was not enough nurses even though I paid a premium for the room.

Quote Originally Posted by hyenergix
    I was one of the affected ones in the hospital last year. There was simply not enough beds and I was made to wait for several hours. Even then there was not enough nurses even though I paid a premium for the room.
    I assume you are referring to a government hospital?
    I think the population is too large for the pool of public health care workers.
    That's why in order to attract more health care workers to stay in the public sector, there should be incentives, not only pay rise.

Quote Originally Posted by buttercarp
    I assume you are referring to a government hospital?
    I think the population is too large for the pool of public health care workers.
    That's why in order to attract more health care workers to stay in the public sector, there should be incentives, not only pay rise.
    like priority que for bto...

There is no end to digging around that area.

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stori...227038/1/.html