Thread: Redas: Cool down on cooling measures

Default Redas: Cool down on cooling measures

http://www.businesstimes.com.sg/arch...sures-20120929

Published September 29, 2012

Redas: Cool down on cooling measures

Detailed review of earlier rule changes should be done first, says Redas president

By Mindy Tan

THE property sector does not need another round of cooling measures, at least not before a thorough review of the earlier measures put in place has been conducted.

This was the main message put forth by Wong Heang Fine, president of the Real Estate Developers' Association of Singapore (Redas), at the organisation's Mid-Autumn Festival yesterday.

BT had earlier reported that the latest round of quantitative easing (QE3) in the United States has raised the possibility that a fresh wave of capital flows into Singapore could cause the property market to heat up again, which, in turn, would spark off the possibility of a fresh round of government measures, or tweaks to existing policies to keep prices in check.

That being said, "if history is any guide, reaction to the residential market to QE3 in Singapore will probably take the form of a limited, short-term boost in buyer sentiment that will probably peter out before end of 2012", said Mr Wong, quoting a report issued by Colliers International earlier this week.

A host of issues, ranging from the potential oversupply of housing in Singapore, and fears of a slowdown in the macroeconomic resulting from economic woes in both Europe and the US, continue to plague developers, said Mr Wong.

The property sector's "harvests" for the year are "somewhat uneven and somewhat calibrated", he said.

"While we see 'withering harvests' in certain segments of the residential market, crops in other sectors like the industrial market are reaping 'golden harvests'. 'Staple crops' in the commercial market have enjoyed relatively good harvests. We are also seeing 'new crops' emerging in the hospitality industry as well as 'new seeds' being sown in the Jurong Lake District for hotel developments."

According to Chia Ngiang Hong, group general manager at City Developments Limited, it is unlikely that further cooling measures will be implemented this year.

Added Lee Liat Yeang, a partner at Rodyk & Davidson's Real Estate Practice Group, said: "Based on what I see and sense, further cooling measures are neither necessary nor likely, at least for the rest of this year for the residential property market. It is hard to foretell next year's events.

"While the residential sector should be 'safe' for now, the commercial sector, especially industrial sector may be more at risk of policy intervention."

A report issued by DWG earlier this month noted that speculation appears high in the strata-titled commercial and industrial markets with many new units being held for barely three months before they are flipped.

On the residential front, the month of August saw sales of private residential homes, excluding executive condominiums, fall 27 per cent to 1,421 units. This was mainly attributable to a dearth of major new project launches as developers avoided the Hungry Ghost month.

Default Developers hope Govt won't rush to cool property market

http://www.straitstimes.com/archive/...arket-20120929

Developers hope Govt won't rush to cool property market

Published on Sep 29, 2012

By Esther Teo, Property Reporter

PROPERTY developers say they hope the Government will not introduce a fresh round of cooling measures without a thorough review of earlier ones first.

Concerns about the series of policy changes, potential oversupply of housing and fears of a slowdown due to economic woes in the United States and Europe remain, said Mr Wong Heang Fine, president of the Real Estate Developers' Association of Singapore (Redas).

He was speaking at Redas' Mid-Autumn Festival Lunch at the Grand Copthorne Waterfront Hotel yesterday.

Speculation of fresh curbs has resurfaced after the US Federal Reserve recently signalled that it would embark on a third round of quantitative easing (QE3) to address the insipid economy as well as a stubbornly high unemployment rate in the US.

Mr Wong said the implementation of QE3 has ignited concerns that an influx of foreign funds could result in asset inflation in the real estate sector.

But he quoted a Colliers International property consultancy report predicting that the impact could be limited to a short-term boost in buyer sentiment that would probably peter out before year end. "The property business is not just a function of numbers and emotions, demand and supply. Its sustainability is subject to a confluence of factors mostly beyond our control, especially developments and fluctuations in and outside Singapore," he said.

Stoking investors' concern was a fresh round of cooling measures in Hong Kong earlier this month to stave off the effects of QE3.

Mr Wong also told the 400 guests at the lunch that the performance in the real estate market so far this year was a mixed bag.

While it was "withering harvests" in certain segments of the residential market, other sectors like the industrial market were reaping "golden harvests", he said.

Developers The Straits Times spoke to said they remained cautious in their outlook.

Mr Chia Ngiang Hong, Redas' second vice-president and group general manager of City Developments, said he is quite confident that more tightening measures are unlikely. "Hong Kong is different because of the China market. We don't have that kind of situation here," he said.

Mr Chia said the biggest concern for developers is replenishing their landbank. "For those who have already got the land, then they will have to prepare for launch... The market is quite healthy now," he said.

Redas also said it will embark on a series of conversations with industry players as part of the ongoing National Conversation.

[email protected]

there may be some truth in it as absd has killed off some of the resale supply in the market.

Gahmen funny....

Slam the brakes on private but then HDB cheong...

Why disturb the 18% of the population...
    Make sure HDB stable can liao...

KenoBiWan is powerless to fend off the Deathstar

already said many times before liao... own backyard weeds don't care. go and kachiao other peoples

ikan bilis is offline i'm Buaya ! Girls BEWARE !!...

Quote Originally Posted by carbuncle
    already said many times before liao... own backyard weeds don't care. go and kachiao other peoples
    i tot you working now ??... or you surfing on iphone inside toilet ??...

ya I m now a full time landlord and

healthcare - my own health
    corridors - dont have much at home

lol

I think the best cooling measures now is to further increase the average size of apartments outside central region and let the wealthy investors have their little playground in the central region. Whatever happen in central region, remain in central region.

lol
    Full time landlord will have lots of time to tcss here, unless your tenants are those who don't pay up on time.

When you mentioned that you will be embarking on a totally new field in healthcare without much corridors to ply, I thought you were going to slog in some healthcare instituition.

ikan bilis is offline i'm Buaya ! Girls BEWARE !!...

lol
    bro... you fry-sotong your that employer liow ??....

may be try look for some home based and self employed job... more shiok...
    good to have some small amount of "full time" job income in your IRAS return... banks like to see that...

'job'.... wait till I move closer to town ... hopefully next six months.... coz my new MM will top then ba fingers crossed... since less than 50 units and built more than halfway liao