Thread: 35-year limit set on home loans

Default 35-year limit set on home loans

http://www.straitstimes.com/archive/...loans-20121006

35-year limit set on home loans

Curbs on long mortgages to prevent buyers from over-extending

Published on Oct 06, 2012

By Rachel Chang

IN A move that took the market by surprise, the Government introduced new measures yesterday designed to cool the property market and stop home buyers from over-extending themselves.

From today, the Monetary Authority of Singapore (MAS) will restrict all home loans to a maximum of 35 years.

Home buyers who take a loan that lasts more than 30 years, or extends past their retirement age of 65, will now have to fork out significantly more in cash.

Such long loans can now only be up to 60 per cent of the property's value if this is the buyer's first mortgage. That means that he must pay 40 per cent of the price upfront, in cash.

If this is his second or more property loan, the loan limit shrinks to just 40 per cent of the property's value.

The new loan limits and rules also apply to home owners who refinance their loans.

Analysts said the moves will affect a broad swathe of property buyers and leave only young buyers under the age of 30 untouched.

In a statement last night, MAS explained that it is acting to curb upward pressure on property prices from the current low interest rates worldwide, and the rapid credit growth driven by the US' latest round of quantitative easing (QE3).

"Monetary conditions worldwide are far from normal," said MAS chairman Tharman Shanmugaratnam, who is also deputy prime minister.

But the current climate of easy credit and low rates will eventually change, he cautioned.

MAS said that this is why it is acting now to prevent prices from spiking beyond sustainable levels, so that the eventual correction "which will hurt borrowers and destabilise our financial system" can be softened, if not avoided.

The central bank also revealed the impact of easy credit on home loans over the last three years.

The average tenure for new home loans has risen from 25 to 29 years and currently, more than 45 per cent of new home loans have tenures exceeding 30 years.

In August, a 50-year home loan offered by the United Overseas Bank (UOB) drew the ire of National Development Minister Khaw Boon Wan, who described it as a "gimmick".

Long-tenure loans, said MAS, cause buyers to over-estimate their financial wherewithal.

A rising property market also gives buyers and lenders "false confidence" that the property can always be sold off for a profit if the loan becomes difficult to service.

Analysts interviewed yesterday do not expect property prices to fall drastically in reaction, but they predicted some buyers will exit the market, transaction volumes will cool and price rises will moderate.

In the third quarter of this year, both Housing Board resale prices and private property prices accelerated their climb.

The board's resale price index grew 2 per cent, outstripping the 1.3 per cent growth in the second quarter, while the private property market rose 0.5 per cent, up from 0.4 per cent in the preceding quarter.

The new changes, said observers, would land hardest on older buyers, especially those with more than one property. Young buyers should get away with just paying a shade more every month.

For example, a 40-year-old buyer can now take a loan of only 25 years if he wants to continue to be able to pay the usual 20 per cent down payment.

But if he were to take out the shorter 25-year loan of $800,000 for a $1 million property, this would now mean monthly payments of $3,051, at current interest rates of 1.1 per cent. This is $400 more than if he had a 30-year loan.

But for a buyer like investor Jack Liang, 49, who is on the hunt for his third property, the new rules mean "game over", he said.

If he finds a $1 million property that he wants, he can take only a 16-year loan, up to the retirement age of 65 years old. His monthly repayments will be $4,546, likely more than its rental yield.

Or, he can take a longer loan, but for only 40 per cent of the property's value, as it is not his only housing loan. He must then have $600,000 cash in hand to purchase the property.

"It's time to pull up the handbrake," he lamented.

[email protected]

What it should have been

Published on 7th October, 2012

Yesterday's reports, "35-year limit set on home loans" and "Banks wait to gauge impact", said that the tighter loan-to-value limits of 60 per cent and 40 per cent also apply to home owners who refinance their loans.

That is incorrect. The new loan-to-value limits apply only to new residential property loans.

Financial institutions may, subject to their credit assessment of the borrower, offer refinancing facilities for the full balance outstanding under a residential property loan.

However, the absolute limit of 35 years applies to refinancing facilities. This means the length of the refinancing plus the period since the start of the borrower's first loan cannot exceed 35 years.

We are sorry for the error.

Personally, I don’t think the new round of measures are effective in cooling the market.

Like any previous rounds, the market may be quiet for a few weeks before you see the crowd at showflats again.

1) Even without this loan restriction, many buyers already know that most banks will offer them a maximum loan tenure of 65 minus their age.

2) Singaporeans are cash-rich and will continue to buy becasue they believe that:

- Property prices will still be on its way up;
    - They have no better alternative to put their money in; or
    - They need a place to stay and they can’t wait any longer.

3) The developers have projects to sell. The mortgage banks have quota to meet. They will find another way out.

Afterall, this is all mental game. As soon as there’s no fear in the street, the bubble will still be on its way up!

More on http://propertysoul.com/2012/10/07/n...-restrictions/

wait, error!? so refinancing not applicable for Ltv controls? simi?? super blur now

so if I m 40 I can still refinance my existing loan to 40 + 30 (assuming it already ran for 5yrs) = 70 yrs old?

Quote Originally Posted by vip
    Personally, I don’t think the new round of measures are effective in cooling the market.

Like any previous rounds, the market may be quiet for a few weeks before you see the crowd at showflats again.

1) Even without this loan restriction, many buyers already know that most banks will offer them a maximum loan tenure of 65 minus their age.

2) Singaporeans are cash-rich and will continue to buy becasue they believe that:

- Property prices will still be on its way up;
    - They have no better alternative to put their money in; or
    - They need a place to stay and they can’t wait any longer.

3) The developers have projects to sell. The mortgage banks have quota to meet. They will find another way out.

Afterall, this is all mental game. As soon as there’s no fear in the street, the bubble will still be on its way up!

More on http://propertysoul.com/2012/10/07/n...-restrictions/
    just a correction, banks are now offering loan tenures that stretch beyond the mortgagee's 65 years-old mark.

Rich parents will use their children's names to buy to circumvent the loan tenure issue.

Quote Originally Posted by carbuncle
    so if I m 40 I can still refinance my existing loan to 40 + 30 (assuming it already ran for 5yrs) = 70 yrs old?
    Can, see pt 3 posted by VIP. LTV lesser by 20%.

Quote Originally Posted by maisonjai
    Can, see pt 3 posted by VIP. LTV lesser by 20%.
    this is wrong. ltv new limits ONLY applies to NEW loans and NOT refinancing case.

My interpretation:

Where a borrower applies for a refinancing facility in respect of any balance outstanding under a residential property loan, the sum of the tenure of the refinancing facility and the number of years since the first residential property loan granted to the borrower for the purchase of that residential property was first disbursed, cannot exceed 35 years.

If you started your first loan at 30 yo and at 40, you want to refinance, you can only refinance another 25 years, up to 65 yo. Absolute total = 35 years (10 years in current loan plus another 25 years).

If you started at 35 yo, then yes, you can refinance another 30 years up to 70 yo.

this is wrong. ltv new limits ONLY applies to NEW loans and NOT refinancing case.
    New loan and refinancing of first loan.

Apologies....

Quote Originally Posted by fclim
    If you started at 35 yo, then yes, you can refinance another 30 years up to 70 yo.
    With no impact on LTV?

So if I take out first loan at 35 yrs, 80% LTV, then refinance after 5 years with 30 years, still 80% LTV? (ignoring the paid down amount)? no need to top up to 60% given that the 30 yrs tenure will exceed 65 yrs old?

yes no need

a bit confused now.. If I own a fully paid property. Can buy the next one at 80% LTV if the loan tenure is 30 yrs or less.

Quote Originally Posted by Santro
    a bit confused now.. If I own a fully paid property. Can buy the next one at 80% LTV if the loan tenure is 30 yrs or less.
    Depends on how young you are now.