Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fewer people investing in residential units

Default Fewer people investing in residential units

http://www.straitstimes.com/premium/...units-20121024

Fewer people investing in residential units

Proportion of investors among homebuyers drops significantly

Published on Oct 24, 2012

By Rachel Chang

THE proportion of investors looking to profit from the residential property market has fallen significantly among homebuyers in recent years, according to latest figures from Credit Bureau Singapore.

After several rounds of cooling measures, the percentage of those taking out new home loans who already have existing mortgages has fallen from 38per cent in 2010 to 33.5per cent last year.

And for the first eight months of this year, it has dropped further, to 31.8per cent.

With more cooling measures introduced earlier this month, analysts foresee the full 12-month figure for this year to be even lower.

But despite the fall in the proportion of homebuyers who are investing in a second property or more, they still account for a sizeable proportion of the market, numbering almost one in three.

This investor group took out 2,037 mortgages for the first eight months of this year. Last year, the annual figure was 2,142 loans.

This, said analysts, may partly have accounted for the latest move to cap the tenures of home loans.

The latest curbs include capping the length of home loans at 35 years. The new rules also require a buyer who wants to take a loan past 30 years, or which extends beyond the retirement age of 65, to stump up a higher downpayment of 40per cent for the first loan and 60per cent for the second or subsequent loan.

These measures will further lower the proportion of investors among new homebuyers, said R'ST Research director Ong Kah Seng.

But it would be "at an incremental pace as the aspirations for private housing among HDB owners is still very intense, and the ongoing low interest rates will still encourage home buying," he said.

The government measure that has brought the proportion of investors down most effectively thus far is the January 2011 round of restrictions, said analysts like Savills Singapore research head Alan Cheong.

At the time, speculative activity was "decimated", he said.

The January 2011 changes included raising the downpayment for a second or subsequent property from 30per cent to 40per cent, and imposing a stamp duty of up to 16per cent on owners selling property within a year.

But some investors found a way to escape the tighter financing rules, by using their children's names for their second or third mortgage, said International Property Advisor chief executive Ku Swee Yong.

"Due to the young age of the new borrowers, the loan tenure has been stretched so that they can afford bigger apartments based on their current income," he noted.

It led to the latest cooling measure, he said, referring to the capping of loan tenure.

Investor Betty Chang, who has four home mortgages, taken out in 2008 and 2009, said she knows of "one or two" investors who used their children's names.

The accounting manager, 58, has no children and counts herself fortunate that she "got into the market earlier".

"If I was starting from zero now, I would not be able to sustain so many properties."

In the pool of mortgages held by major banks here, multiple-property owners took out 55,701 mortgages, which make up 12.5 per cent of all home mortgages. This is a rise from 9.7 per cent in 2007, said the credit bureau, which gathers data from the banks.

This group is also slightly more in debt than compared to five years ago. Among those holding multiple home loans, the average is 2.5 loans, up from 2.3 in 2007.

[email protected]

Bro, I don't understand what you trying to say? What is the correlation with the link?

Quote Originally Posted by chestnut
    Bro, I don't understand what you trying to say? What is the correlation with the link?
    reporter say less people investing but this property SKY green even before official launch 80% snapped up...so obviously people trying to talk down the market but the reality is people still snapping up property...or i could be wrong...

I saw this report the first thing in the morning when my husband flipped open the papers. My first thought : Are they in a stage of denial ?
    Or are developments which sold out or almost sold out prior to launch just freak cases ?

Quote Originally Posted by radha08
    reporter say less people investing but this property SKY green even before official launch 80% snapped up...so obviously people trying to talk down the market but the reality is people still snapping up property...or i could be wrong...
    OIC. Bro, it says investors took out about 2 k loans. Which means investors bought 2000 units. Some maybe paid full - so ignore that number. How many units were sold in first 8 mths? So what he is saying, there are lesser investors. So there are many home buyers.

I again apply the 80/20 rule. 80% home buyers and 20% investors.
    The numbers may vary +/- 10%.

Input how many condos were sold in 8 mth and you will get your ratio.

So his statement is correct.

OIC. Bro, it says investors took out about 2 k loans. Which means investors bought 2000 units. Some maybe paid full - so ignore that number. How many units were sold in first 8 mths? So what he is saying, there are lesser investors. So there are many home buyers.

I again apply the 80/20 rule. 80% home buyers and 20% investors.
    The numbers may vary +/- 10%.

Input how many condos were sold in 8 mth and you will get your ratio.

So his statement is correct.
    honestly bro day in day out go so many figures and data on singapore property market in the news...papers...forums...etc etc...after i while..i see stars....

Quote Originally Posted by buttercarp
    I saw this report the first thing in the morning when my husband flipped open the papers. My first thought : Are they in a stage of denial ?
    Or are developments which sold out or almost sold out prior to launch just freak cases ?
    he he i saw it when my wife flipped the papers i was too busy digging into a plate of nasi lemak at marine terrace mkt......stomach first papers later..

honestly bro day in day out go so many figures and data on singapore property market in the news...papers...forums...etc etc...after i while..i see stars....
    Bro, embrace numbers. Numbers tell u a story. Numbers are clues. Just need to know what the numbers are telling you. Numbers don't lie, the people who interpret the numbers can lie.

Bro, numbers are like evidents in a crime scene. Just put on your CSI coat and you will find the answer.

The numbers are pointing to upward prices. GLS sales, interest rates, inflation causing material to go up, ECB bond purchase which will help spain and Greece, QE, immigration.

Bro, embrace numbers. Numbers tell u a story. Numbers are clues. Just need to know what the numbers are telling you. Numbers don't lie, the people who interpret the numbers can lie.

Bro, numbers are like evidents in a crime scene. Just put on your CSI coat and you will find the answer.

The numbers are pointing to upward prices. GLS sales, interest rates, inflation causing material to go up, ECB bond purchase which will help spain and Greece, QE, immigration.
    your right bro..up is where its going...200 plus points drop on the dow jones has got NO effect on world financial markets anymore....

".....This investor group took out 2,037 mortgages for the first eight months of this year. Last year, the annual figure was 2,142 loans."

Based on the record, possibly there are 2-3 months worth of numbers of loans not added on the first 8 moth fig yet.....is the reporter excluding that or is expecting less than 125 loans to be taken in the next months?......with latest launches flying off the shelves, plus a few much anticipated launches in the coming months such as Eco Sanctuary and Hillview Peak plus the numbers from Yishun side possibly not in the computation yet.....? Isn't the conclusion too premature?

Ya, the way I read it, despite the drop in % of people taking out 2nd mirtgage, overll number will still exceed last year's.... Which contradict the main point of the article.

Upward prices for new launches yes but old units seemed to be lagging quite badly leh.

Tanah Merah is a good case in point.
    树大必有枯枝,人多必有白痴。
    树无皮必死无疑,人不要脸天下无敌!

Quote Originally Posted by leftfield
    Upward prices for new launches yes but old units seemed to be lagging quite badly leh.

Bro, you need time. When vision was launched, the price of blue horizon took some time.
    When thomson grand was launched, the price of gardens at bishan took some time.
    Things need time to move. If you have Tanah Merah project, just wait - if economy is constant, the move will kick in.

Quote Originally Posted by reporter2
    In the pool of mortgages held by major banks here, multiple-property owners took out 55,701 mortgages, which make up 12.5 per cent of all home mortgages. This is a rise from 9.7 per cent in 2007, said the credit bureau, which gathers data from the banks.

This group is also slightly more in debt than compared to five years ago. Among those holding multiple home loans, the average is 2.5 loans, up from 2.3 in 2007.
    Secretariat, here goes :
    There are 55,701 multiple loans (total of 1 house + investment unit/s).
    Ave is 2.5 loans. so asume 1 loan for house and 1.5 loan for investment(this part you should understand - no need for me to explain and I do not intend to explain).

So 55,701 divide by 2.5 multiply 1.5 = 33.4K of investment units on loan.

There are some who already paid off their first house and took 1 loan on investment which is not reflected - put in a figure you are comfortable.
    Another few scenario - own stay paid and some investment unit paid and took up 1 loan for investment. -paid full for own stay and investment.

There are total 200K pte. So roughly you get 80/20 rule. 80 own stay and 20 investor. Again +/- 10% to the rule.

So the main drivers are home buyers, not investors.

Once you got the report with you, I will share with you what are areas to look at to determine drivers.. Of course if you got it all figured out, just let me know and hopefully, you can share with me. Hahahaha

Secretariat, here goes :
    There are 55,701 multiple loans (total of 1 house + investment unit/s).
    Ave is 2.5 loans. so asume 1 loan for house and 1.5 loan for investment(this part you should understand - no need for me to explain and I do not intend to explain).

So 55,701 divide by 2.5 multiply 1.5 = 33.4K of investment units on loan.

There are some who already paid off their first house and took 1 loan on investment which is not reflected - put in a figure you are comfortable.
    Another few scenario - own stay paid and some investment unit paid and took up 1 loan for investment. -paid full for own stay and investment.

There are total 200K pte. So roughly you get 80/20 rule. 80 own stay and 20 investor. Again +/- 10% to the rule.

So the main drivers are home buyers, not investors.

Once you got the report with you, I will share with you what are areas to look at to determine drivers.. Of course if you got it all figured out, just let me know and hopefully, you can share with me. Hahahaha

33,400 investment loans, this OK.

Report? From bro Focus leh.

How much, in absolute $, and in %, for comparable size and location.

Don't mind sharing...

Bro, you need time. When vision was launched, the price of blue horizon took some time.
    Things need time to move. If you have Tanah Merah project, just wait - if economy is constant, the move will kick in.
    rising tides raises all boats...but some slower some faster...

rising tides raises all boats...but some slower some faster...
    Conviction is the key. Patience is a virtue.

Quote Originally Posted by Secretariat
    33,400 investment loans, this OK.

Report? From bro Focus leh.
    Aiya, you already so champion, dont want to share is it???

Just joking la. For me, I keep the report in my brain. What about u?

Conviction is the key. Patience is a virtue.
    did confucis say that...

maybe he was confused...

did confucis say that...

maybe he was confused...
    No la. I said it just now because I was confused by some forummers talking about en bloc. I share with them until I give up. But their weird thinking stuck in my mind. At the end of the day, I tell myself, dont argue. If anyone refuses to open up their mind to discussion, I just say they win and let them be lor. If not, I also kanna influence by their weird thinking and may start a losing streak in my investment. Hahahaha

....but 15 year old Castle green keeps going up.....the last 2 bedder went for 870K (920 psf).....in mid-2013 was hovering around 800-810K that's a 5% increase in 6 mths.....

Second hand properties are not lagging. They are on the right course.

It's only the new launches are selling at future prices to help pump in the maximum profit for developers. Who knows what will happen tomorrow? Make hay while the sun shines.

Quote Originally Posted by Sleepyhead
    Ya, the way I read it, despite the drop in % of people taking out 2nd mirtgage, overll number will still exceed last year's.... Which contradict the main point of the article.
    Good one, u totally said what i wanted to.

Headline tak match content. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by danntbt
    ....but 15 year old Castle green keeps going up.....the last 2 bedder went for 870K (920 psf).....in mid-2013 was hovering around 800-810K that's a 5% increase in 6 mths.....
    mid 2013 wow back to the future...

mid 2013 wow back to the future...
    ooops mid 2012....

Oops, realised that there were replies to this statement I made that I didn't reply.

Am vested in an old TM 15 year old condo and have intention to sell it until the 60LH experiment came out. It's fully paid now so I suppose I am in no hurry to cash out...

Quote Originally Posted by Secretariat
    How much, in absolute $, and in %, for comparable size and location.

Don't mind sharing...
    Actually not really comparing apples to apples. The size of an old 3BR condo is equivalent to a new 4BR one these days!

Quote Originally Posted by vip
    Second hand properties are not lagging. They are on the right course.

It's only the new launches are selling at future prices to help pump in the maximum profit for developers. Who knows what will happen tomorrow? Make hay while the sun shines.
    The old ones are indeed moving up but is still a far way from the prices of the new launches (or at least I think so).
    树大必有枯枝,人多必有白痴。
    树无皮必死无疑,人不要脸天下无敌!

slim chance to get 4% yield if you buy now ,right?
    I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference.” - Robert Frost quotes (American poet, 1874-1963)

if i'm not wrong, castle green is unique due to upcoming thomson line