Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More Transparency in Rent, Will trigger more REALISTIC Asking Price?

Default More Transparency in Rent, Will trigger more REALISTIC Asking Price?

Thanks to bro/sis amk for this thread:
    http://forums.condosingapore.com/showthread.php?t=15465

This is to discuss the implication:

on URA new initiative to show the rental contracts. With such clear visibility, I believe it will result in more realistic asking price.

Say buyer is willing to accept 3-4% rental yield for a particular unit, looking at recent months contract say is $4000, this translates to a property price of $1.2m (to get 4% yield) up to $1.6m (to get 3% yield).

So is win-win to all party. Seller can peg the price at a reasonable range, buyer has a clear indication of rental yield (so won't over pay for a property).

Quote Originally Posted by leesg123
    Thanks to bro/sis amk for this thread:
    http://forums.condosingapore.com/showthread.php?t=15465

This is to discuss the implication:

on URA new initiative to show the rental contracts. With such clear visibility, I believe it will result in more realistic asking price.

Say buyer is willing to accept 3-4% rental yield for a particular unit, looking at recent months contract say is $4000, this translates to a property price of $1.2m (to get 4% yield) up to $1.6m (to get 3% yield).

So is win-win to all party. Seller can peg the price at a reasonable range, buyer has a clear indication of rental yield (so won't over pay for a property).
    I think this is really quite silly ... Not sure about HDB but for private properties, I have hardly come across any tenants who is not aware of the going rentals one. All of them come telling u all sorts of rentals people are asking for (ie lower than yours).

At the end of the day, it really depends on the supply and demand. If there are more tenants then units, landlords CONFIRM will ask for more!

Currently landlord got upper hand, with interest rates so low, holding costs are also low. Getting a good rental (even at the expense of missing out a few months' rent) is certainly worth the wait. A good rental indicates a good yield, which makes the property looks good!

Not sure why the authorities feel that landlords and tenants are not aware of going rental prices ?

For those more experienced than Office Boy, what are your thoughts?

Office Boy always ask for MORE, it may take a bit longer to rent out, but so far not issues leh.

DKSG

yup my unit always set the benchmark for my development and area. landlords should set high standard to boost the value of their developments!

Like i mentioned in the other thread, Transparency is a double edged sword like the letter t. It can cut both ways.

Bro, here to discuss strategies.

For discussion sake, if you can say share with me what is your asking rental and how many months you willing to sacrifice to get the the higher rental. Vs a quick rental say 1 week.

So higher rental : $ (input)
    Take how many months to rent out :

Lower rental sure to get rental immediate : $(input)
    Take immediate to rent out - say at most 1 week.

Please put in fictitious but realistic numbers to work it out. Then I can understand what kind of differential you are talking about.

This is just an exercise for me to understand where u coming from. The differential between the 2 rental months and the differential between the month to rent out is important. And lastly, I also need to understand are u priming to sell your unit at higher price based on yield.

Quote Originally Posted by DKSG
    I think this is really quite silly ... Not sure about HDB but for private properties, I have hardly come across any tenants who is not aware of the going rentals one. All of them come telling u all sorts of rentals people are asking for (ie lower than yours).

At the end of the day, it really depends on the supply and demand. If there are more tenants then units, landlords CONFIRM will ask for more!

Currently landlord got upper hand, with interest rates so low, holding costs are also low. Getting a good rental (even at the expense of missing out a few months' rent) is certainly worth the wait. A good rental indicates a good yield, which makes the property looks good!

Not sure why the authorities feel that landlords and tenants are not aware of going rental prices ?

For those more experienced than Office Boy, what are your thoughts?

Office Boy always ask for MORE, it may take a bit longer to rent out, but so far not issues leh.

DKSG

be good to ur house and tenants and u have no problm renting high with 0day downtime.

Quote Originally Posted by Allthepies
    yup my unit always set the benchmark for my development and area. landlords should set high standard to boost the value of their developments!
    Do u use agent?

Quote Originally Posted by leesg123
    Do u use agent?
    Definitely, agent plays an impt part too! My agent is very good, has been giving me tenants that are higher than my asking!

u need luck to find high paying yet willing to maintain your unit for u ...
    Ride at your own risk !!!

Quote Originally Posted by phantom_opera
    u need luck to find high paying yet willing to maintain your unit for u ...
    Yuppy im quite lucky, I'm also very selective of the tenant.. No this no that

maybe i too nice, everytime heart soft, like the tenant so agree to lower rental.

Yuppy im quite lucky, I'm also very selective of the tenant.. No this no that
    Of course must be selective lah otherwise you'll regret later... anyway also must know how much to pull and how much to let go. Me also no this no that but once criteria is met, tenant asks for some other stuff I readily say ok ok just to make tenants feel happier... Lol. Me thinking more of long term rental..

In a rising market, this data will cause panic among tenants. In a falling market, the data will cause panic among landlords.

I believe rental is on the uptrend for HDB due to expatriats having lower housing budget over the next few years. Once you have a critical mass of them staying in HDB (I project around next year), then the trend will kick in because it simply makes more economical sense in a stagflation environment.

Quote Originally Posted by kane
    maybe i too nice, everytime heart soft, like the tenant so agree to lower rental.
    V important to like tenants so if tenant is so good, no harm lowering rental but will feel happy and rested. No point having one high rental yield but always give loads of problem. In the end lose out even more...

Quote Originally Posted by ysyap
    V important to like tenants so if tenant is so good, no harm lowering rental but will feel happy and rested. No point having one high rental yield but always give loads of problem. In the end lose out even more...
    Yah... I just renewed my lease at same rate. Low maintenance and good payer. I get sms every month informing me rental paid to my account.

Quote Originally Posted by hyenergix
    In a rising market, this data will cause panic among tenants. In a falling market, the data will cause panic among landlords.

I believe rental is on the uptrend for HDB due to expatriats having lower housing budget over the next few years. Once you have a critical mass of them staying in HDB (I project around next year), then the trend will kick in because it simply makes more economical sense in a stagflation environment.
    do you think hdb rental policy will remain forever...i.e you can ret your hdb forever n ever

Quote Originally Posted by stiook
    Yah... I just renewed my lease at same rate. Low maintenance and good payer. I get sms every month informing me rental paid to my account.
    Yup... my last tenant did the same but usually late payment... Lol... Now I changed tactics, ask tenant to pay through giro... no more sms from them!

Quote Originally Posted by ysyap
    so far my tenant all super good. that's why my heart soft.

Quote Originally Posted by radha08
    do you think hdb rental policy will remain forever...i.e you can ret your hdb forever n ever
    HDB is likely to consider changing only in 5-6 years' time when the bulk of the supplies reach the rental market. If the government tweaks the rental rule, it is likely to force the foreigners upgrade to condos or leave the country due to higher rental.

2010 - start of BTO boom
    2013 - batch of BTO HDB hits the market for owners' occupancy
    2018 - batch BTO HDB hits the rental market

So you will have at least 6 years of peace. Before this the HDB rental supply will be quite tight and there is no room for error for the government.

[quote=hyenergix]HDB is likely to consider changing only in 5-6 years' time when the bulk of the supplies reach the rental market. If the government tweaks the rental rule, it is likely to force the foreigners upgrade to condos or leave the country due to higher rental.

2010 - start of BTO boom

So you will have at least 6 years of peace.[/quote

...makes sense

when property prices and rental are rising, benchmark prices will always be broken. the only question, for how long?

HDB is likely to consider changing only in 5-6 years' time when the bulk of the supplies reach the rental market. If the government tweaks the rental rule, it is likely to force the foreigners upgrade to condos or leave the country due to higher rental.

2010 - start of BTO boom

So you will have at least 6 years of peace. Before this the HDB rental supply will be quite tight and there is no room for error for the government.
    i think we will have a global crisis to stir things up a bit before 2018. the impact will be felt from the demand side, rather than from the supply end.

If the west suffers another crisis, it is very likely that more westerners will have to seek safe harbour in Asia.

Quote Originally Posted by kane
    so far my tenant all super good. that's why my heart soft.
    V fortunate to have super good tenants...

More transparency means no surprise quicker to rent out but no more high premium
    Ride at your own risk !!!

Quote Originally Posted by chestnut
    Bro, here to discuss strategies.

For discussion sake, if you can say share with me what is your asking rental and how many months you willing to sacrifice to get the the higher rental. Vs a quick rental say 1 week.

So higher rental : $ (input)
    Take how many months to rent out :

Lower rental sure to get rental immediate : $(input)
    Take immediate to rent out - say at most 1 week.

Please put in fictitious but realistic numbers to work it out. Then I can understand what kind of differential you are talking about.

This is just an exercise for me to understand where u coming from. The differential between the 2 rental months and the differential between the month to rent out is important. And lastly, I also need to understand are u priming to sell your unit at higher price based on yield.

Recently, I rented out my unit about $3500 in Sept because I wanted to renovate the new unit to my liking. But I know of neighbors who rented out in July for about $3000. Frankly speaking, during those 2 months there are times when I wondered if I am asking for too much & if I spent too much on renovation, etc.
    When my next condo TOP in a few years, I may consider just providing the white goods & rent it out earlier at a lower rate as long as I have a good tenant. Just my humble opinion.
    Sorry that I am not doing the Maths here because I am too lazy

Quote Originally Posted by phantom_opera
    More transparency means no surprise quicker to rent out but no more high premium
    If the unit is nicely done up, it can bring in higher rental.
    As long as the tenant is aware of that and is willing to pay the premium after knowing the present market rate, i think he will feel better rather than he does not know the rate and then regret later thinking he did not get a good deal.

Not a bad idea as most of my tenants so far prefers to just provide white goods. They like to buy their own furniture and TV.
    Quote Originally Posted by cavaliver
    Recently, I rented out my unit about $3500 in Sept because I wanted to renovate the new unit to my liking. But I know of neighbors who rented out in July for about $3000. Frankly speaking, during those 2 months there are times when I wondered if I am asking for too much & if I spent too much on renovation, etc.
    When my next condo TOP in a few years, I may consider just providing the white goods & rent it out earlier at a lower rate as long as I have a good tenant. Just my humble opinion.
    Sorry that I am not doing the Maths here because I am too lazy

10,000 people lost their job at UBS. I am sure some will be coming to this part of the world. They may prefer our established Banks like DBS, UOB, and OCBC.
    If the west suffers another crisis, it is very likely that more westerners will have to seek safe harbour in Asia.

True lah. Less discontentment between landlord and tenant that one party took advantage of the other be it higher than average or lower than average rental.