Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question on planters and bay windows...

Default Question on planters and bay windows...

Seems like people dont like planters and bay windows cos it eats up into
    your living space..then why is it that some developers still launch property with such things...how does it benefit them...

Just curious thats ALL..

Quote Originally Posted by radha08
    Seems like people dont like planters and bay windows cos it eats up into
    your living space..then why is it that some developers still launch property with such things...how does it benefit them...

Just curious thats ALL..
    "Free" + cheap to build balconies and a/c ledges

Bay windows are raised window ledges and not part of the floor slab, while planter areas are literally planter boxes below the floor slab area to encourage planting growing in the residential projects.

The spaces of planter areas, bay windows and aircon ledge are not considered Gross Floor Area (GFA) in the eye of authority, therefore the developer is maximizing their profit to sell them as accessory parcel as part of the strata areas.

There are some development units with accessory parcels as high as more than 20% of the total strata area. Imagine if you are paying for one million for a unit, $200k goes to the planter areas, bay window and aircon ledge.

Quote Originally Posted by price
    "Free" + cheap to build balconies and a/c ledges
    oh i see..but that seems to be the trend nowadays a lot of devts got big balconies and smaller living space....good if you like the outdoors i suppose...

Bay windows are raised window ledges and not part of the floor slab, while planter areas are literally planter boxes below the floor slab area to encourage planting growing in the residential projects.

The spaces of planter areas, bay windows and aircon ledge are not considered Gross Floor Area (GFA) in the eye of authority, therefore the developer is maximizing their profit to sell them as accessory parcel as part of the strata areas.

There are some development units with accessory parcels as high as more than 20% of the total strata area. Imagine if you are paying for one million for a unit, $200k goes to the planter areas, bay window and aircon ledge.
    ah ha now it makes sense its all about $$$ saving for developers...sneaky bas$%#@

I notice nowadays bay windows seems to be less common since 2-3 years ago. It is becos they are counted as part of GFA after 2009 and so developer drop them? But then huge balcony seems to be part of the floor plan now...haiz..

I am curious is that a % limit on balcony and aircon ledges over the total floor area. I see PC floor area seems to be have up by up to 10% of balcony and up to 7% of aircon ledges...sianz.

Quote Originally Posted by bsslang
    I notice nowadays bay windows seems to be less common since 2-3 years ago. It is becos they are counted as part of GFA after 2009 and so developer drop them? But then huge balcony seems to be part of the floor plan now...haiz..

I am curious is that a % limit on balcony and aircon ledges over the total floor area. I see PC floor area seems to be have up by up to 10% of balcony and up to 7% of aircon ledges...sianz.
    yup that is the trend now...so buyers got choice buy new if u dont mind big balcony otherwise buy resale...

Actually i find baywindow is good. even though it is 'free' to the developer, at least for us, it can be used. be it part of bed, or a relax sitting corner etc. not too bad lah.

The latest trend is the omission of Housing Shelter, hence reducing the floor area for a typical unit type.

bay windows are good place to chill out. the uselessones are those up to chest level sort.

Quote Originally Posted by kane
    bay windows are good place to chill out. the uselessones are those up to chest level sort.
    have u seen bay windows in toilet and kitchen? what are those to be used for

toilet you can still use to put the toiletries, sit down and scrub your feet. never seen in kitchen, but those are useless if there is.

Bring me to one such unit and I will demo to you what its for....

for the maid to sit down whilst waiting for the food to be cooked?

[=carbuncle]Bring me to one such unit and I will demo to you what its for....[/QUOTE]

I saw in one of the threads that the owner actually placed a bloody fridge on top of the bay window.

Wat about void areas, such as double volume/high ceiling??

Quote Originally Posted by Tripp
    I saw in one of the threads that the owner actually placed a bloody fridge on top of the bay window.
    in the kitchen or where? come to think of it, can put a small wine fridge... but that's pretty silly still.

Notice the induction hob next to the fridge; it is placed on top of the bay window as well.

which room is this? how come got timber flooring and washing machine?

I salute the owner.

this looks like a studio apartment.

thanks. that's a silly design by the developer.

I converted the baywindows in one of my room to 2 beds, some book cabinets and a study table. While some baywindows might be fine but 6m worth of that is simply too much!!!

omg..

these planters and bay are really turn off
    I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference.” - Robert Frost quotes (American poet, 1874-1963)

It is counted in GFA measurement.

http://www.ura.gov.sg/circulars/text...ahb_d0e180.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Secretariat
    if you modified it to hack away n change the bottom to shelves space, is that illegal. Granted that I m referring to a landed n not a condo.

Quote Originally Posted by samuelk
    if you modified it to hack away n change the bottom to shelves space, is that illegal. Granted that I m referring to a landed n not a condo.
    Structurally, a bay window is constructed as top and bottom protrusions which are also ledges that overlap into the setback spaces legally.

So it depends on how you do it. If it is just a lowering of the bottom profusion or ledge, and then ID the extended space as a storage, I supposed that it is legal.

In Hong Kong, they have bay windows in bedrooms for decades. Depending on the size of the bedrooms, bay windows are commonly used as the extended part of a bed, a single bed or a baby cot (master bedroom too small to fit in a baby cot).

These few years the concept of bay windows has exported to Singapore. So we can now 'unlock our creativity' to make good use of them.