Page 2 of 31 FirstFirst 123456712172227 ... LastLast

Thread: How long to rent out after collect key for OCR 2 bedder?

Quote Originally Posted by amk
    East lover, is this ur first condo for rental ?

1 to 2 months is very very normal. Dun need to feel uneasy. And yes year end is a low season.
    First TOP unit to rent previously resale, bought with tenancy.

Now my new new unit needs to wait? 1-2 mths is year end holiday some more

Quote Originally Posted by zeamybro
    I have no experience with OCR 2br, but I supposed its v flexible, in fact most flexible. Could be a couple, 2 adults, single or even a small family of 3 to 4.

If u r unsure of what to buy now, just wait a while and observe who your potential tenants/viewers are, and see what they typically ask for. Then u decide what u shld buy. But curtains and lights must do first la imo. And I realized most Ang Mohs prefer their own furniture, while Asians like japs and Chinese, and also Indians, prefer fully furnished.
    Is IKEA curtain a good idea?

Quote Originally Posted by DC33_2008
    Quite true, I have got French, British, Americans, and Australians on partial lease.
    Wah, u can start United Nation.

Have been renting to different nationalities for almost 16 years with units in OCR, city fringe and CCR, it is better to go for parital furnish as new tenants will likely want the mattress to be replaced. It is really a waste if money and not sustainable. Sorry, no experience on the use of bay window to form part of a bed frame. Choosing tenant is likely choosing a domestic helper. It is all about luck. I am quite lucky so far as I have heard of horror incidents.
    Wow lucky landlord! Thanks for the sharing

I will pay a bit more for the curtain as it makes the house more atas. It is easier to get a curtain professional.
    Quote Originally Posted by East Lover

Quote Originally Posted by chestnut

Ang moh easy or Asian - jap, Korea or Singaporean easy?

I will pay a bit more for the curtain as it makes the house more atas. It is easier to get a curtain professional.
    My hubby said the same thing thanks! I will start to shop. Any good recommendation?

Wow, so long?
    I'm shopping for lighting now. My hubby said cant be too cheapo, so end up, easily few thousands to be invested in lighting, decking, curtain, not buy fridge n washer yet as agent said tenant may have...if not, another thousands??
    You are a generous landlord! No need to spend a lot of money on furnishing. Just go to one of the furniture suppliers in Geylang... they will have packages for you to choose. $3k to $4k to fully furnish (include LCD tv, washer etc) a 2bed unit.

Had rented out to tenants from China, India (from usa) , Nigerian, and Japanese. The worst is Nigerian. Always delay rental payment. All the others pay on time via giro.

Bro or sis. Some Angmos are so huge that your bed will break or they cannot fit in. There is this American who only wants atas mattress. The mattress alone cost $3000 and he pays for it. Geylang furniture may be ok for Chinese and Indian.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Keh
    You are a generous landlord! No need to spend a lot of money on furnishing. Just go to one of the furniture suppliers in Geylang... they will have packages for you to choose. $3k to $4k to fully furnish (include LCD tv, washer etc) a 2bed unit.

My ranking(personal) - ang moh, Asian then Singaporean.

I have 2 rented out to Singaporean. Very poor thing, 1 of them. Sold and waiting for price to drop (5yr). Again did national service. Rented out at discount of 10%. They moving out in June next year.

Eh, it really depends on what type of marketing model u wanna adopt. U can either insist on partial furnish with minimal $ spent, save yourself on the hassle but willing to accept a lower rent, or go to the other extreme of doing up your house v nicely with nice curtains, chandeliers and IDs, and patiently wait for tenants who would be willing to pay u premium rental. I have had tenants who were give sufficient budget for bigger units but becos they like your unit furnishings a lot, they are willing to downgrade to yr smaller unit yet giving u a premium rental since its within their budget. But that's more for RCR or ccr ..

I will not go for ikea curtains, cos I believe a good set can last me a v long time. Mine lasted for 10yrs liao and is presently serving my 5th tenant, hehe

My ranking(personal) - ang moh, Asian then Singaporean.

I have 2 rented out to Singaporean. Very poor thing, 1 of them. Sold and waiting for price to drop (5yr). Again did national service. Rented out at discount of 10%. They moving out in June next year.
    Can I say don't want certain nationality?

I prefer Malaysian Chinese as their lifestyle is more similar to ours.

Recent yrs I see the angmohs are getting more bossy and greedy, and start to ask for extra fridge, extra tv, side table etc yet they don't have the budget!

Indians usually accept whatever furnitures u thrown to them, and they have the budget! But even if they hv budget not many landlords willing to rent to them, so they usually accept whatever u give them.

Japs are picky, very picky, but they take good care of your house, esp if there is a jap wife around.

Eh, it really depends on what type of marketing model u wanna adopt. U can either insist on partial furnish with minimal $ spent, save yourself on the hassle but willing to accept a lower rent, or go to the other extreme of doing up your house v nicely with nice curtains, chandeliers and IDs, and patiently wait for tenants who would be willing to pay u premium rental. I have had tenants who were give sufficient budget for bigger units but becos they like your unit furnishings a lot, they are willing to downgrade to yr smaller unit yet giving u a premium rental since its within their budget. But that's more for RCR or ccr ..

I will not go for ikea curtains, cos I believe a good set can last me a v long time. Mine lasted for 10yrs liao and is presently serving my 5th tenant, hehe
    Thanks. I think my target is Asian small family, not too cheap, but not too extremely doing up lah. I have already purchased some good quality lightings.

You are right. 一分钱一分货. I'm going to shop curtains next week. Finally have fun to kill time in weekend

Do not suggest using an ID. Just provide white goods, and nice set of curtains. Angmos like yellow light while Japanese like white lights. I think OCR tenants will not want to pay more for these fanciful stuff. CCR and Cityfringe tenants may like this ID concept. How much more can you rent by investing another 20k into ID works?

Can I say don't want certain nationality?
    Can, I always do. Some agents v daring they will openly list on propertyguru "sorry to all xxx friends, landlord prefers non-xxx"

I prefer Malaysian Chinese as their lifestyle is more similar to ours.

Recent yrs I see the angmohs are getting more bossy and greedy, and start to ask for extra fridge, extra tv, side table etc yet they don't have the budget!

Indians usually accept whatever furnitures u thrown to them, and they have the budget! But even if they hv budget not many landlords willing to rent to them, so they usually accept whatever u give them.

Japs are picky, very picky, but they take good care of your house, esp if there is a jap wife around.
    We had Malaysian tenants before, yes they are good, but now seems no much budget to rent condo leh....

Indians usually cook a lot of oily food and daily, dear not to rent to them, provided ask $500 more for Reno fee 2 years later?!

Do not suggest using an ID. Just provide white goods, and nice set of curtains. Angmos like yellow light while Japanese like white lights. I think OCR tenants will not want to pay more for these fanciful stuff. CCR and Cityfringe tenants may like this ID concept. How much more can you rent by investing another 20k into ID works?
    Can pm me some good curtain suppliers

Agree for ID, also the style, color, u choice may not be tenants'. And it take time to do ID Reno, I will save it for my own new house

But I choose yellow lights already liao my ID (my own house) always say yellow light carry more style comparing to white

Yes fully agree, no matter how well you do up your IDs, the premium in rentals will not be able to break even easily with the $$ u hv invested in the ID.

But I know of friends who feel that even if the hse is for rental, it's their own house after all. So they wouldn't mind spending $ to get good lightings, curtains and do up some IDs. They feel happy and shiok, and during times when competition is strong, it will help them to move their units faster, albeit not necc the most financially wise thing to do.

My experience, nationality doesnt matter but their background and attitude does. One of my chinese tenant, couple with 2 kids, maintain house very bad. Spoilt quite a few things but on last day apologise and settle everything with $$. Indian tenant maintain very well as they are young couple no kids, both working. Heard call part-time few times a week to clean house.Giro rent in advance. My view - be open and dont filter out by nationality. $$ is what matters.

For me, very simple. I provide curtains, white equipments and lightings only....

When they want more like say tv, hifi, console, etc... I ask them budget, tell them divide by 24, add into rental, this is the new amount. Tell them, hey your coy paying for rental rite. U want this rite, ok lor, I provide, I up rental by 300, u can use 7k to buy furniture lor.

Hahahaha

Yes fully agree, no matter how well you do up your IDs, the premium in rentals will not be able to break even easily with the $$ u hv invested in the ID.

But I know of friends who feel that even if the hse is for rental, it's their own house after all. So they wouldn't mind spending $ to get good lightings, curtains and do up some IDs. They feel happy and shiok, and during times when competition is strong, it will help them to move their units faster, albeit not necc the most financially wise thing to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Santro
    My experience, nationality doesnt matter but their background and attitude does. One of my chinese tenant, couple with 2 kids, maintain house very bad. Spoilt quite a few things but on last day apologise and settle everything with $$. Indian tenant maintain very well as they are young couple no kids, both working. Heard call part-time few times a week to clean house.Giro rent in advance. My view - be open and dont filter out by nationality. $$ is what matters.
    也有道理哦。。。

For me, very simple. I provide curtains, white equipments and lightings only....

When they want more like say tv, hifi, console, etc... I ask them budget, tell them divide by 24, add into rental, this is the new amount. Tell them, hey your coy paying for rental rite. U want this rite, ok lor, I provide, I up rental by 300, u can use 7k to buy furniture lor.

Hahahaha

Actually I hand itchy leh, as what zeamybro said, wanna do up a bit...

Do u think is a good idea to custom made a bed with bay window? So the second room will be much bigger?

But will small family need a queen size bed in room 2?

Hahahaha

Nut bro.. Good idea!

Nowadays the Ang Mohs v chao kuan. Say I ask for 5.5k rental partial furnish la, but the ang moh given 6.5k budget by his company. Then he will offer me 6.5k but want a long list of items that add up close to 15k. Although after working out the maths it still seem to be worth it for me, but that's provided he stays the entire 2yrs and don't suay suay kena retrenched and ex diplomatic clause after 1yr la, plus he must take care of the furnitures and next tenants must like them.

Then got this angmoh lagi best. Say he can give me 6k rental but I need to give him 6k cash furniture voucher every yr... Kns to the max

Quote Originally Posted by Santro
    But how to assess "attitude" before rental? Very difficult.
    If they ask for A to Z during the negotiating period, then probably will not be an easy tenant. They are tenants who will call regularly for all kinds of faults but they help maintain place nicely while some who rarely call can create havoc to the place.

At least your tenant was honest and apologised and paid for things they spoilt. Some might even hide "damages" and landlord might realise it too late.

Nut bro.. Good idea!

Nowadays the Ang Mohs v chao kuan. Say I ask for 5.5k rental partial furnish la, but the ang moh given 6.5k budget by his company. Then he will offer me 6.5k but want a long list of items that add up close to 15k. Although after working out the maths it still seem to be worth it for me, but that's provided he stays the entire 2yrs and don't suay suay kena retrenched and ex diplomatic clause after 1yr la, plus he must take care of the furnitures and next tenants must like them.

Then got this angmoh lagi best. Say he can give me 6k rental but I need to give him 6k cash furniture voucher every yr... Kns to the max
    Bro, if the furniture belongs to u ultimately, it's alrite. But if they want to take back, u have to buffer for 20% tax. Because rental up mah.... But I honest w u, I chin chye.... But don't follow me hor.

Give and take for me is the key.... So long I make money, it's ok. If everyone along the way, make, it's ok....

mai gan cheong; what if couple wants 2nd br for 2 young kids
    they may only need single bed but double deck or pull out kind??

Actually I hand itchy leh, as what zeamybro said, wanna do up a bit...

Do u think is a good idea to custom made a bed with bay window? So the second room will be much bigger?

But will small family need a queen size bed in room 2?
    if you dont't own any property, you're short. take cover quickly

In rental cagreement, there is a clause, first 100 to be paid by tenant for something spoilt.

There is also a 2 month deposit.

Most important, your agent must be good. If kanna 1 lousy one, good luck to u.

Quote Originally Posted by ekl2ekl2
    If they ask for A to Z during the negotiating period, then probably will not be an easy tenant. They are tenants who will call regularly for all kinds of faults but they help maintain place nicely while some who rarely call can create havoc to the place.

At least your tenant was honest and apologised and paid for things they spoilt. Some might even hide "damages" and landlord might realise it too late.

True..I usually filter out the ones very fussy in the beginning. Once my agent shortlist - I go over for second viewings and see what their demands are. Some ask to add furniture, some remove things. Its give and take -if they are not flexible and stuck up, you know it will be difficult when the contract ends. So It take them off the list. ...Rest is luck lah!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ekl2ekl2