Page 5 of 31 FirstFirst 1234567891015202530 ... LastLast

Thread: How long to rent out after collect key for OCR 2 bedder?

Quote Originally Posted by zeamybro
    I usually buy my whites from Harvey Norman cos there is this uncle quite nice la, always give me good prices without me asking. Extended warranty also can give discount one. But i believe prices almost same for all the big name stores, just that they take turn to have 'star buys' for diff brands/models at diff time of the yr. So look out for the star buys.

I will buy extended warranty only for fridge and washer, cos these bulky items they will send ppl to your house to repair on the spot. Smaller items i dont bother cos like what Laguna said, they are likely to bring back your faulty sets and will only get back to u weeks later. Then yr tenant will kpkb.
    Another vote for Harvey Norman here. I find their prices and service good. You can "bargain" with the sales person (I have a regular one I text when I need something and he will give all the quotes and model numbers for my consideration). They have your details on the computer so you can ask them to prepare the invoice for the short-listed item and you just go there and pay. No time wasted (unless you want to look around for a better bargain). I think worth it to buy ext warranty for washer but probably not for the rest. LG brand is good. Under the warranty period, they mostly come to your place within 24 hours. Registration of warranty is online so you don't have to worry about losing the cards.

Quote Originally Posted by nav14
    YOu choose the curtain and get some neutral earthly tones which majority will not find objectionable. You cannot be changing curtains every time there is a new tenant. Jimmy Textiles at Tanjong Katong Complex is reasonably priced for curtains.
    Thanks. my agent recommended that one also. ok, i will plan to go tomorow. Weekend/PH is really good for shopping

Suggest that you get those curtain contractors station on site first and get a quote first. Pricing will be more competitive. If you can find a very neighbours, you may get group discounts too.
    Quote Originally Posted by East Lover
    We had Malaysian tenants before, yes they are good, but now seems no much budget to rent condo leh....

Indians usually cook a lot of oily food and daily, dear not to rent to them, provided ask $500 more for Reno fee 2 years later?!

for washer, shall I buy 2-in-1, or seperated washer + dryer? or no dryer at all??

developer provides very nice pull out hanging system, they can dry the laundry outside the aircond ledge with covering some more.

Shall we propose green life to tenant?

Quote Originally Posted by chestnut
    Sis, I not smart. I am lazy.... My agent does all the work. I dont ask for super rental.... Because my units all make money.... Hahahaha. Also because I not selling wat....

My agent just tell me what needs to be done and gets it done for me. He very happy with me, I also very happy with him....

But I hate to shop, so leave everything to him. And he gets damn good rates for the shopping list. For white, please go for extended warranty OK.... This one important leh.... Remember hor.

Quote Originally Posted by DC33_2008
    Suggest that you get those curtain contractors station on site first and get a quote first. Pricing will be more competitive. If you can find a very neighbours, you may get group discounts too.
    not like my WV future neighbours, this condo very quiet leh, till now haven't found any neighbours yet.

give up the group discuounts liao. i do my own homework first

If you have the space, separate washer and dryer is better. When one breaks down, the other is still usable. In my experience, the 2 in 1 dryer function is not so good.

wld rank singaporeans lowest on the tenant band; somehow we have better experience with foreigners

1) Filipinos
    2) Indonesians
    3) Chinese (hse not very clean but pay everything incld parquet polish)
    4) Ang mos
    5) Jap/Korean
    6) SG

Disclaimer: just our personal experience/opinions with tenants renting from us

Quote Originally Posted by Shanhz
    you are very nice. i also rented to sgprean. sold and waiting to buy too (sold in 2009). owe me 2-3 months rental. ask them to F-off with 1 month notice.
    later they fully paid me the outstanding rental. heng.
    if you dont't own any property, you're short. take cover quickly

U lucky. My white spoil exactly after 2 yr. Cannot write off tax, so buy new 1. Then decided to get extended warranty.... Very most, shift your home white to rental place and wait for "replacement" white to come to your new place. Voila, you got yourself a new white.... Hahahaha

but you have to arrange transport to swith your old white to rental unit, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Lovelle
    wow unheard of... which area is ur unit ?
    Lovelle, since u r keen to know the details, let me share further here.

I have this D15 unit asking for 5.5k, partial furnish, but quite nicely done up. Then this angmoh family come and was given a 6.5k budget from his company. He wanted Carribeans initially but that unit asking 7K and he refused to top up the $500. So he wanna settle down for his 2nd choice which is my unit.

He made 2 proposals:

1) Give me 6.5K rental and wanted a very long list of items which include brand new sofa, brand new beds, 2 tvs, extra fridge, side table, dressing table and many many other smaller items. Agents told me all these can be done within 15K budget, but i get 24K more in rental for the 2yrs. I didnt accept as I was thinking what if he kena retrenched and ex diplomatic clause after 1 yr? Furnitures easy to buy and bring into the house, but v troublesometo get rid if future tenants dont want them.

2) Give me 6K rental and wanted only the standard items like bed and sofa, but i need to give him $6K cash voucher for furniture every year. I m not comfortable because its like helping him to 'cheat' his company for the $500 every month.

In fact i have had 2 similar encounters like this already. Another unit also asking 5.5K rental, partial furnish. This angmoh willing to give me 6.5k rental, but i need to give him 2K furniture voucher in cash every quarters. Before I could decide, he backed out... and settled down for the 5.5k. Think he also worried kena found out from his company HR.

Had done this once with an American and they will leave behind the furniture. There is an upfront risk as I will pay higher commission and tax, and I may just get a depreciated asset or even junk furniture after two years.
    Nut bro.. Good idea!

Nowadays the Ang Mohs v chao kuan. Say I ask for 5.5k rental partial furnish la, but the ang moh given 6.5k budget by his company. Then he will offer me 6.5k but want a long list of items that add up close to 15k. Although after working out the maths it still seem to be worth it for me, but that's provided he stays the entire 2yrs and don't suay suay kena retrenched and ex diplomatic clause after 1yr la, plus he must take care of the furnitures and next tenants must like them.

Then got this angmoh lagi best. Say he can give me 6k rental but I need to give him 6k cash furniture voucher every yr... Kns to the max

Quote Originally Posted by chiaberry
    Another vote for Harvey Norman here. I find their prices and service good. You can "bargain" with the sales person (I have a regular one I text when I need something and he will give all the quotes and model numbers for my consideration). They have your details on the computer so you can ask them to prepare the invoice for the short-listed item and you just go there and pay. No time wasted (unless you want to look around for a better bargain). I think worth it to buy ext warranty for washer but probably not for the rest. LG brand is good. Under the warranty period, they mostly come to your place within 24 hours. Registration of warranty is online so you don't have to worry about losing the cards.
    I usually have the impression Harvey Norman is not cheap. Audio house is better.

Got 2 votes here for Havery Norman....Can PM me the nice sale person contact?

Quote Originally Posted by chiaberry
    If you have the space, separate washer and dryer is better. When one breaks down, the other is still usable. In my experience, the 2 in 1 dryer function is not so good.
    must buy dryer???

when i did some house viewing in US, i found out one very interesting thing - the japanese tanents still like to hang laundry (even in laundry room), but ang moh boo cha, just use dryer to dry.... so i wait to see first?

Had done this once with an American and they will leave behind the furniture. There is an upfront risk as I will pay higher commission and tax, and I may just get a depreciated asset or even junk furniture after two years.
    Yes, I was v fortunate to have this ang moh who left behind his less than 1-yr old Celini set (sofa, recliner, bed) and office table/chair set after he got sent back home.

But the problem is incoming tenants may not want them. Diff ppl diff taste.

Once I have bought a dining table and sofa set from courts before I find my tenant. The new tenant prefers his own choice and he exchange these two items with his own bedding items. Courts is quite flexible as they have not delivered the two items.
    Auroraborealis bro is right (Wah v difficult to spell yr nick, how was yr china trip?).. Don't be so kancheong to get the furnitures, just install lights and curtains and buy the white goods. Add in the furnitures only upon request.

Oh yes units when empty while waiting for tenants always v good to hold parties and family gatherings ... I always do that, Hehe

but you have to arrange transport to swith your old white to rental unit, right?
    Sis, once you have many units, transport is cheap lah.... I only quote example. I have not exercised yet... The whites in my own house very ex one... Example - Folio fridge. Hahahaha

I collected my key on last Tuesday, so far there is no call/viewing, even this Saturday & Sunday.

Is market cooling now? Or nov,dec not right season? Or my condo too new so too much choice??

Usually how long will it take to run out? Mine next to MRT, mall and business park, 2 bedder, quiet facing, but there are 400-500 for rent in propertyguru and 150 for 2 bedder
    Firstly I would not give exclusive to one agt. I always advertise in ST classifieds and make sure the word "owner" is indicated in the ad. Purpose is not to get tenants directly as 99% of those looking for condos will get agts to search for them. So the purpose is to get my unit captured it the central database which all agts have access to. Somehow ads in ST classifieds do get into this database. Yes troublesome as you will have to answer so many calls and in most arrange for viewing yourself, but for me it has proven getting a tenant faster. With the agts being aware that they will get the full commission, they are more likely to push your unit more aggressively to their tenant.
    Secondly for a studio or 2 bedder, I would fully furnish it with some designer touches. Most tenants for small units prefer it to be fully furnished. I usually spend around 5k more than another owner who fully furnishes his home and I believe in the long run , especially if you intend to keep the unit for 8-10yrs, you will not only recover the extra 5k but reap a profit. This again depends on your likely tenant profile. If in CCR with a higher rent and better tenant profile who will appreciate the additional designer touches, it will make a difference as compared to a suburban condo. I have an interest in ID so i usually engage my own electrician, carpenter, false ceiling contractor. A wall feature in the living room, some mirrors, a false ceiling, etc goes a long way in making your unit stand out. For one unit I got my unit done up within 2 weeks , advertised on a Friday and it was taken up on Saturday, while , others who got their keys 2 weeks earlier but left their units bare, were still looking for tenants a month later. Premium if any is very marginal, as my main purpose is to rent it at the upper end of market price, negate any negative orientation qualities and to get it rented out faster. My unit on the 13th flr with an obstructed view matches or exceeds the rent for a unit on the 30th floor with an open view. So doing up a place nicely does make a difference and will pay off.
    For studios, one may even want to include things like a storage bed or customise additional storage space as base don my experience, tenants when they first go into a studio will be wondering where they are going to store their luggage, etc with such a small built in cabinet.

I will usually look out for pricing for tv, fridge, dryer, at best denki and Harvey Norman first. I will then call up a company in the west to check the price. I is usually 10-15% cheaper and with no GST and delivery charge. They will even remove my existing items for free.
    I usually have the impression Harvey Norman is not cheap. Audio house is better.

Got 2 votes here for Havery Norman....Can PM me the nice sale person contact?

I will usually look out for pricing for tv, fridge, dryer, at best denki and Harvey Norman first. I will then call up a company in the west to check the price. I is usually 10-15% cheaper and with no GST and delivery charge. They will even remove my existing items for free.
    Wah, bro, u put me to shame leh... I used to do that.... I get from a shop in Alexandra Village... Then as time went buy, I made more money and time more important to me than money....
    I now get my agent to source in Best Denke, he arrange.... I use my best denke credit card and go extended warranty.... Then I ask them to arrange to call my agent. Agent will be there to accept delivery of the goods....

But East loves to shop, so this technique is useless to her.... Hahahaha

for washer, shall I buy 2-in-1, or seperated washer + dryer? or no dryer at all??

developer provides very nice pull out hanging system, they can dry the laundry outside the aircond ledge with covering some more.

Shall we propose green life to tenant?
    EastLover

I bought a 2-in-1 LG washer/dryer combo for my tenant, and he complains that it takes him 5hrs to complete a wash cycle for just a few pieces of his underwear. A separate dryer and washer will save your tenant a lot of time, and also electricity (although u r not paying).

Also, i think only euro brands like electrolux and bosch have full dryer functions for their combo. Other korean brands the combo do not really come with full dryer functions ... meaning your cloths wont get completely dry.

Bro, always go for separate.... You can wash and dry at the same time....
    My own home, I use separate. Now you all know why my PUB bill so high... Hahahahaha

If money can solve problem, I use money... I stating my life.... Not Hau Lian hor... My biggest fear in life is money cannot solve the problem, then damn siong liao.

EastLover

I bought a 2-in-1 LG washer/dryer combo for my tenant, and he complains that it takes him 5hrs to complete a wash cycle for just a few pieces of his underwear. A separate dryer and washer will save your tenant a lot of time, and also electricity (although u r not paying).

Also, i think only euro brands like electrolux and bosch have full dryer functions for their combo. Other korean brands the combo do not really come with full dryer functions ... meaning your cloths wont get completely dry.

Quote Originally Posted by roly8
    how come got such rule in jakarta?

it is your house...you can do whatever you like.. ,right?
    actually not its not rule... but mostly expat in jakarta want fullyfurnished unit

Firstly I would not give exclusive to one agt. I always advertise in ST classifieds and make sure the word "owner" is indicated in the ad. Purpose is not to get tenants directly as 99% of those looking for condos will get agts to search for them. So the purpose is to get my unit captured it the central database which all agts have access to. Somehow ads in ST classifieds do get into this database. Yes troublesome as you will have to answer so many calls and in most arrange for viewing yourself, but for me it has proven getting a tenant faster. With the agts being aware that they will get the full commission, they are more likely to push your unit more aggressively to their tenant.
    Secondly for a studio or 2 bedder, I would fully furnish it with some designer touches. Most tenants for small units prefer it to be fully furnished. I usually spend around 5k more than another owner who fully furnishes his home and I believe in the long run , especially if you intend to keep the unit for 8-10yrs, you will not only recover the extra 5k but reap a profit. This again depends on your likely tenant profile. If in CCR with a higher rent and better tenant profile who will appreciate the additional designer touches, it will make a difference as compared to a suburban condo. I have an interest in ID so i usually engage my own electrician, carpenter, false ceiling contractor. A wall feature in the living room, some mirrors, a false ceiling, etc goes a long way in making your unit stand out. For one unit I got my unit done up within 2 weeks , advertised on a Friday and it was taken up on Saturday, while , others who got their keys 2 weeks earlier but left their units bare, were still looking for tenants a month later. Premium if any is very marginal, as my main purpose is to rent it at the upper end of market price, negate any negative orientation qualities and to get it rented out faster. My unit on the 13th flr with an obstructed view matches or exceeds the rent for a unit on the 30th floor with an open view. So doing up a place nicely does make a difference and will pay off.
    For studios, one may even want to include things like a storage bed or customise additional storage space as base don my experience, tenants when they first go into a studio will be wondering where they are going to store their luggage, etc with such a small built in cabinet.
    nav14 - for a moment, i thought i am alone, but am glad to have someone sharing similar thoughts and adopting similar strategies. I also adv on ST and dont engage exlusive agents. I will also spend some $$ to do up the houses nicely to make them stand out amongst the neighbours.

eastlover sis - for someone who is out there to max rental profit, of cos he will spend the least to get the max returns. But since u r not waiting for rentals to cover your mortgage loans, PLUS u enjoy shopping, mabbe can strike a balance, shop and do up a little, make your life happy also la, haha. By the way, if u r keen in Harvey, look for Mr Alan at Millenia Walk.

I think 2-bedder not only can rent out faster.. Rent yield oso better.. My fren Caspian bought $8xxk from subsale KPKB say ex.. After TOP 1-mth found a tenant who's paying him $3.5k..... Wow! 5% rent yield! Now never hear him KPKB ardy

Wow, you are a very good landlord. My units are usually lease bare minimum. Negotiate upon request. But I must qualify that location must be good, 2nd highest floor of the development, have great view and develooment should not be more than 250 units. They will come streaming in to view rather than being held hostage by them. Hence, I have learnt that the property must have good attributes.

frankly speaking, don't expect too high rental at OCR when there is ample supply of new projects in the market

yield compression is the name of game ... be happy even with 3% net yield
    Ride at your own risk !!!

I enjoy going through the process and therefore do not think it is wasting time. My agents cannot pull a fast one at me as I understand the current ground condition. Saving can be as much as 20% for some model.
    Wah, bro, u put me to shame leh... I used to do that.... I get from a shop in Alexandra Village... Then as time went buy, I made more money and time more important to me than money....
    I now get my agent to source in Best Denke, he arrange.... I use my best denke credit card and go extended warranty.... Then I ask them to arrange to call my agent. Agent will be there to accept delivery of the goods....

But East loves to shop, so this technique is useless to her.... Hahahaha

Jakarta rental super solid leh... 10% per annum. Of course borrowing and deposit yield also solid... I wanted to go in and put my friend's name in proxy. Very trustworthy friend. Indonesian's are very trust worthy people. My personal experience, that is.
    with today price..its hard to get 10%annum. Now avg is about 8%.. lending rate here is high ( 8-9% per annum)..

Quote Originally Posted by heroes
    with today price..its hard to get 10%annum. Now avg is about 8%.. lending rate here is high ( 8-9% per annum)..
    Yup. I was actually referring to 2 years ago.... Now i not sure of Indo market. Hahahaha, But price shot up better than Singapore over past 2 years.

So congrats.

I enjoy going through the process and therefore do not think it is wasting time. My agents cannot pull a fast one at me as I understand the current ground condition. Saving can be as much as 20% for some model.
    Bro, dont get me wrong lah, I am not saying wasting time lah... Many people derive pleasure from many diff ways. My wife and kids love to shop and shop and shop.... See also shiok... I go in, tell them, give me 5 of this t-shirt and get out.... So if you enjoy it, please go ahead....
    Me, i lazy guy.... Love people to get things done for me, so I have more time on my hands.... Hahahaha

I prefer Malaysian Chinese as their lifestyle is more similar to ours.

Recent yrs I see the angmohs are getting more bossy and greedy, and start to ask for extra fridge, extra tv, side table etc yet they don't have the budget!

Indians usually accept whatever furnitures u thrown to them, and they have the budget! But even if they hv budget not many landlords willing to rent to them, so they usually accept whatever u give them.

Japs are picky, very picky, but they take good care of your house, esp if there is a jap wife around.
    The Jap wife usually insists on a bathtub. Had one Jap couple who really liked my unit but rejected it just because the wife wanted a bathtub.