Thread: Nowadays NEW devt mostly glass balcony

Default Nowadays NEW devt mostly glass balcony

Noticed that a LOT of the newer devts all using glass for their balcony and patios...why is this so...cost?..easy to maintain...i kind of prefer those picket fence type for GND floor..but what to do must follower developers choice..

just place your own picket fence (can be made of plastic) behind the glass panes on the inside

Quote Originally Posted by carbuncle
    just place your own picket fence (can be made of plastic) behind the glass panes on the inside
    yup thats what i thought but just wondering why nowadays all glass maybe cos nowadays condo so small glass make it look big...

Quote Originally Posted by radha08
    yup thats what i thought but just wondering why nowadays all glass maybe cos nowadays condo so small glass make it look big...
    I would actually prefer glass! It'll be a chore to keep on cleaning it (fingerprints etc) but it gives a better illusion of open space. Cleaner overall look as well. Mine comes with railings, macham jail =P

railings provide better air flow. can feel the difference on a hot day. glass balconies can look really nice though

Quote Originally Posted by ilgr
    railings provide better air flow. can feel the difference on a hot day. glass balconies can look really nice though
    True that. Drove past The Gale that day, iirc they have glass balconies. Really made the development look nice and a bit more posh!

Quote Originally Posted by lbb
    True that. Drove past The Gale that day, iirc they have glass balconies. Really made the development look nice and a bit more posh!

Glass is cheaper than concrete.

u can enjoy the view even sitting down from ur living sofa

Quote Originally Posted by carbuncle
    u can enjoy the view even sitting down from ur living sofa
    If stay on lower floor, pple also enjoy the view in your house.

Noticed that a LOT of the newer devts all using glass for their balcony and patios...why is this so...cost?..easy to maintain...i kind of prefer those picket fence type for GND floor..but what to do must follower developers choice..
    look at wat happened in Kovan Residences, so many cases of balconies' glass breaking. 1 maid died because of that

By Lisa Oon
    my paper
    Friday, Jul 06, 2012
    A SPATE of incidents involving the spontaneous shattering of tempered-glass barriers in condominium Kovan Residences has sparked concerns over the safety of tempered glass installed in properties islandwide.

As of Tuesday, there had been 34 cases of glass breakage in the condominium dating back to May last year, a check with Kovan Residences’ developer, Centurion, revealed.

Located in Kovan Road next to the Kovan MRT station, the blocks in the condominium were issued their temporary occupation permits at varying times last year.

Mr Ian Wong, 35, who lives on the fifth floor of one of the eight blocks there, was not at home when a glass panel on his balcony shattered on June 13.

He returned home to find “little shards of glass” on his balcony. There were shards of glass on the ground floor, too.

He said: “I was surprised at first. But, because I knew about previous incidents in other units, I was more annoyed.”

The panel on his balcony was replaced two days later with a similar one.

Mr Wen Bing Lin, 56, a retiree who rents out a unit in the condominium to a tenant, is not satisfied with this solution. He said: “I want them to switch from glass to metal grille. This is a safety issue.”

However, Centurion does not have to make the switch as its building plan was submitted long before July last year.

In January last year, the Building and Construction Authority (BCA) sent out a circular stating that projects whose building plans are first submitted on or after July 1 last year have to use laminated glass “where glass is used as a part or whole of a safety barrier”.

This was after BCA sought feedback from the industry on the use of tempered glass after it received news of tempered glass shattering spontaneously.

Nowadays the height of balconies is also not so high - scary for higher floors, kids can easily fall out (even teenagers if rough-housing with friends) and maids if asked to clean the outside of the glass.

wow never knew so many such cases here. scary!

i think glass balconies are cheaper too

Quote Originally Posted by chiaberry
    Nowadays the height of balconies is also not so high - scary for higher floors, kids can easily fall out (even teenagers if rough-housing with friends) and maids if asked to clean the outside of the glass.
    it is indeed VERY scaring and with glass balcony you cannot put up grilles...

wonder if the poor quality coupled with vibration due to the mrt is also likely to be the cause

Quote Originally Posted by Komo
    wonder if the poor quality coupled with vibration due to the mrt is also likely to be the cause
    if the glass can't even withstand vibration, then what about heavy rains and strong winds during this season?

Can mount the full height grille inside of the glass barrier. Many ppl are also using the invisible grille using the vertical steel wires type.

Alternatively.. can consider putting those bamboo blinds permanently rolled down.. and we all dunno wad kinda permanent fixture u do behind it.

Quote Originally Posted by price
    look at wat happened in Kovan Residences, so many cases of balconies' glass breaking. 1 maid died because of that
    Got maid die meh?

Quote Originally Posted by triple70
    Can mount the full height grille inside of the glass barrier. Many ppl are also using the invisible grille using the vertical steel wires type.

Alternatively.. can consider putting those bamboo blinds permanently rolled down.. and we all dunno wad kinda permanent fixture u do behind it.
    will management allow full height non-invisible grill?

Bldg are subject to movement(permitted) and stress are locked in. Some time the glass is too rigid secured, and that result in creak.

One way for the glass, for home owner , is to install security film which are similar to solar film. Is will make it shutter proof and has the same effect of laminated glass ..

I got the ' shrinking' feeling of glass balcony as well. Especially the height is so low and it do not give a robust feeling . As if lean on it will give way like that ..

Quote Originally Posted by proud owner
    Glass is cheaper than concrete.
    FYI,

Glass is more expensive than concrete.

mine is the metal railing type... good enough for me i think...
    allows ventilation to air my laundry @ balcony....
    if use dryer everyday, my electricity bills can't tahan....

Quote Originally Posted by jeaprp
    FYI,

Inclusive the installation and time , is till cheaper ..

Quote Originally Posted by price
    wah
    I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference.” - Robert Frost quotes (American poet, 1874-1963)

Which is higher cost for developer? Metal railing or glass type?

Metal railing are definitely more secure but cannot have a good open view like a glass one when sitting down.

Glass is more expensive than concrete PER KG.
    But hor, it costs >3x more $$$ to build a balcony made of concrete vs using glass?

Quote Originally Posted by zzz1
    Inclusive the installation and time , is till cheaper ..
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jeaprp
    FYI,

Quote Originally Posted by felicia_sg
    Glass is more expensive than concrete PER KG.
    But hor, it costs >3x more $$$ to build a balcony made of concrete vs using glass?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jeaprp
    FYI,

yeap... more costly to built concrete wall...form works, rebar, mob concrete truck etc..the saving on installation cost..