Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Singaporeans need $2.91 million to feel wealthy.

Default Singaporeans need $2.91 million to feel wealthy.

The Perfect Income for Happiness? It's $161,000
    CNBC.com | November 30, 2012 | 12:45 PM EST
    More than one study has tried to determine the financial price of happiness. Some look at wealth. Others look at income.

One well-publicized study last year put the optimal income for happiness at around $75,000. Rising income, it turns out, produces greater happiness until you get to around $75,000. After that, there are diminishing returns, with more income leading to little or no gain in real happiness.

This is a fraught question, of course. “Happiness” itself is not easily defined, and money, as the winners of this week's Powerball jackpot will tell you, doesn't always guarantee it. And the financial requirements for happiness usually depend on geography, peer groups and other external factors.

The latest to weigh in on the issue is Skandia International’s Wealth Sentiment Monitor. It found that the global average “happiness income” is around $161,000 for 13 countries surveyed. The United States wasn’t specifically measured. (Read more: Why Millionaires Prefer Dogs)

But there was a wide range of answers depending on the country. Dubai residents need the most to feel wealthy. They said the needed $276,150 to be happy. Singapore came in second place, with $227,553, followed by Hong Kong, with $197,702.

The region with the most modest needs for happiness is Europe. Germans only need $85,781 to be happy, placing them lowest on the list. The French need $114,000, while the British need $133,000.

The survey doesn’t ask about total wealth needed to feel happy. But it does ask about the amount of wealth needed to feel “wealthy.” Globally, the average amount needed to feel wealthy was $1.8 million.

Singaporeans took the lead on the “wealth” needs, with $2.91 million needed to feel wealthy. Dubai ranked second with $2.5 million, followed by Hong Kong with $2.46 million. (Read more: Where to Live If You Want to Be a Millionaire)

Surveys show that among Americans, most say they need $1 million or more to feel wealthy.

All of this shows that wealth and financial happiness is not an absolute number, but is relative to your peers and surroundings. Living in Dubai, with all those oil barons and oligarchs, the needs are higher. In Germany, where wealth is more evenly distributed, the needs are not as high.

How much wealth or income would you need to feel happy?

-By CNBC's Robert FrankFollow Robert Frank on Twitter: @robtfrank

More Top Stories

Quote Originally Posted by indomie
    The Perfect Income for Happiness? It's $161,000
    CNBC.com | November 30, 2012 | 12:45 PM EST
    More than one study has tried to determine the financial price of happiness. Some look at wealth. Others look at income.

One well-publicized study last year put the optimal income for happiness at around $75,000. Rising income, it turns out, produces greater happiness until you get to around $75,000. After that, there are diminishing returns, with more income leading to little or no gain in real happiness.

This is a fraught question, of course. “Happiness” itself is not easily defined, and money, as the winners of this week's Powerball jackpot will tell you, doesn't always guarantee it. And the financial requirements for happiness usually depend on geography, peer groups and other

The latest to weigh in on the issue is Skandia International’s Wealth Sentiment Monitor. It found that the global average “happiness income” is around $161,000 for 13 countries surveyed. The United States wasn’t specifically measured. (Read more: Why Millionaires Prefer Dogs)

But there was a wide range of answers depending on the country. Dubai residents need the most to feel wealthy. They said the needed $276,150 to be happy. Singapore came in second place, with $227,553, followed by Hong Kong, with $197,702.

The region with the most modest needs for happiness is Europe. Germans only need $85,781 to be happy, placing them lowest on the list. The French need $114,000, while the British need $133,000.

The survey doesn’t ask about total wealth needed to feel happy. But it does ask about the amount of wealth needed to feel “wealthy.” Globally, the average amount needed to feel wealthy was $1.8 million.

Singaporeans took the lead on the “wealth” needs, with $2.91 million needed to feel wealthy. Dubai ranked second with $2.5 million, followed by Hong Kong with $2.46 million. (Read more: Where to Live If You Want to Be a Millionaire)

Surveys show that among Americans, most say they need $1 million or more to feel wealthy.

All of this shows that wealth and financial happiness is not an absolute number, but is relative to your peers and surroundings. Living in Dubai, with all those oil barons and oligarchs, the needs are higher. In Germany, where wealth is more evenly distributed, the needs are not as high.

How much wealth or income would you need to feel happy?

-By CNBC's Robert FrankFollow Robert Frank on Twitter: @robtfrank

More Top Stories
    Indonesian only need sgd 125k (rp. 1.000.000.000) to feel happy or rich. everybody call us BILLIONAIRE ..LOL

Indomie..before you mention ur age.. I thought u re Axton Salim

So many indonesian chinese here... What are u doing? Go back home and goreng2 jkt properties.

So many indonesian chinese here... What are u doing? Go back home and goreng2 jkt properties.
    bro, can recommend me cute indo chinese girl who is from wealthy background?

I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference.” - Robert Frost quotes (American poet, 1874-1963)

Quote Originally Posted by roly8
    bro, can recommend me cute indo chinese girl who is from wealthy background?

There are a few cute indonesian chinese girl working as RM at dbs bank or many other banks in singapore. I am sure they come from a wealthy family.

There are a few cute indonesian chinese girl working as RM at dbs bank or many other banks in singapore. I am sure they come from a wealthy family.
    how do i differentiate if they are from indo?

sometimes, i can't tell just from the look ..
    I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference.” - Robert Frost quotes (American poet, 1874-1963)

how do i differentiate if they are from indo?

sometimes, i can't tell just from the look ..
    Their name is a dead give away. But marrying rich has its perils. I prefer if u marry based on love.

ikan bilis is offline i'm Buaya ! Girls BEWARE !!...

umm... questions....

how many % of singaporean are networth >2.9mil ??...
    so 80-90% of people here "no happy" ??...

Their name is a dead give away. But marrying rich has its perils. I prefer if u marry based on love.
    thanks for the advice, bro.

i think i won't want to find girl in banking industry... maybe none of them are of good character..

Need to "service" high ultra net worth clients?

i think i won't want to find girl in banking industry... maybe none of them are of good character..

Bro, i give you hint.. Just find indochinesse girl with family name.. Salim, gozali, Widjaja, riady, katuari... . They hv a GOOD character n PERSONALITY lol

Quote Originally Posted by heroes
    Bro, i give you hint.. Just find indochinesse girl with family name.. Salim, gozali, Widjaja, riady, katuari... . They hv a GOOD character n PERSONALITY lol
    bro, you are indo chi too?

Hahaha.. Actually im stay in jkt bro.... How about you? If u dont mind Where is ur hometown?

bro, you are indo chi too?
    Yes bro...

ok...

but i heard indo is dangerous? eg. jarkata?

ok...

but i heard indo is dangerous? eg. jarkata?
    We would like u to think it that way

Quote Originally Posted by heroes
    Hahaha.. Actually im stay in jkt bro.... How about you? If u dont mind Where is ur hometown?
    Jkt too bro

We would like u to think it that way
    wah laoo

if got $$$ to make, me will travel there look look & see see

Believe having 3 million for retirement for the next few years should be happy and comfortable in singapore. I am sure quite a few people here already has more than this amount.

Quote Originally Posted by DC33_2008
    Believe having 3 million for retirement for the next few years should be happy and comfortable in singapore. I am sure quite a few people here already has more than this amount.
    Singaporean so rich?

Singaporean so rich?
    $3mil can only get you a decent landed nowadays.

In Singapore, very hard to be happy as a entry level millionaire.
    I think we are like peasants millionaire level.
    The too poor to afford what the rich can afford..

Ask me go buy a car above $200k ..and I cringed ..
    But you see alot of >$300k cars on the road.

Lifestyle of the rich and famous is definitely out for those avg HNW (around usd$4.5mil based on singapore hnw's wealth). Unless they are still drawing a decent income and not retired.

That's why the findings show us as the highest $2.91 to actually feel wealthy, but cannot live wealthy.

Jkt too bro
    Bro, how long u have been staying in jakarta????

Wah, u enjoy life man....

Cheers...

Funny up to now, so many people still think indo dangerous?

Don't know where they get that impression from?

Quote Originally Posted by chestnut
    Bro, how long u have been staying in jakarta????

Wah, u enjoy life man....

Cheers...

Funny up to now, so many people still think indo dangerous?

Don't know where they get that impression from?
    Perhaps from the era when they paraded the streets holding a head in thier hands

Today jkt is not any more dangerous than jb. As with any country, common sense applies.

Bro, 5 mil @ 3% give u 150k... So after 1 1/2 year, u get the car lah?

Bro, u want to enjoy the highlife is it? If that, then need 20 mil.... Really depends what u want... For me, I live a simple life lah... But I definitely need some pampering... So I set my own target... Hahaha I quite happy leh...

Quote Originally Posted by focus
    $3mil can only get you a decent landed nowadays.

In Singapore, very hard to be happy as a entry level millionaire.
    I think we are like peasants millionaire level.
    The too poor to afford what the rich can afford..

Ask me go buy a car above $200k ..and I cringed ..
    But you see alot of >$300k cars on the road.

Lifestyle of the rich and famous is definitely out for those avg HNW (around usd$4.5mil based on singapore hnw's wealth). Unless they are still drawing a decent income and not retired.

That's why the findings show us as the highest $2.91 to actually feel wealthy, but cannot live wealthy.

Quote Originally Posted by Shanhz
    Perhaps from the era when they paraded the streets holding a head in thier hands

Today jkt is not any more dangerous than jb. As with any country, common sense applies.
    I have been to jakarta since 1991 till now... And love the place... Especially pondok laguna. Best Gurame (dancing fish).

recent salary survey said happiest are those who make 8-9k pm, that means about 100k per year ... taking into accounts a couple, it will be around 200k ... so it is consistent

200k pa, if invest properly, not hard to have 3m assets when retiring ...

200k cannot lead high life but happy life
    Ride at your own risk !!!

Singaporean so rich?
    confirm chop.. no horse run. See forum members here for a benchmark.

singstat must print 7 years of deflation to poke the burst.
    Affordable means small

Those make more than 9k/mth are not happy as they are tax more and no benefits fm garment.
    Quote Originally Posted by phantom_opera
    recent salary survey said happiest are those who make 8-9k pm, that means about 100k per year ... taking into accounts a couple, it will be around 200k ... so it is consistent

200k pa, if invest properly, not hard to have 3m assets when retiring ...

200k cannot lead high life but happy life