Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RENOVATION FOR NEW CONDO

Default RENOVATION FOR NEW CONDO

Getting my key soon. Anybody have idea what is the reasonable estimated cost for a basic package from ID company for a 3 bedders.
    Any recommendation for a good and reliable ID firm?
    This is for self-stay. So far checked internet a few companies offering
    about 10-15K. Is this just gimmick or will gana kudo when go there

Since it is new condo, i suppose only new painting is
    good enough as most condo units comes with everythings.

Quote Originally Posted by ahsoh88
    Since it is new condo, i suppose only new painting is
    good enough as most condo units comes with everythings.
    painting lighting furniture...a few built in cabinets and u be good to go unless of course you want to really do it up...
    In the final analysis.....its NOT whether you have a diploma,degree,masters OR PHD....its whether you have a HDB/PC/EC or LANDED...

standard package include:
    1. Living Room:
    a. TV console,
    b. Feature wall

2. Dining Area
    a. Mirror with frame

3. Master Bed
    a. TV console
    b. Feature wall
    c. Bedhead
    d. 2 x bedside tables

4. Study Room (2nd room)
    a. Study table
    b. Wall-Hang cabinets

5. Others:
    a. 5 colours of paints for whole unit
    b. ID design services
    c. Cleaning of the wastes/rubbishes after the reno
    d. some may wash the ground for you

in the current market, you can get it done ard 11K-13K. However, usually you can only ask for standard design and material. Of course the prices are quoted with lower cost material eg. laminated cabinet. If you need other finishing like spray-paint, acrylic material.. it will cost you more.

One of my friend get her house done with ard 15K which include the lighting, fall-ceiling (whole unit) and 1 wall paper. Down-lights she bought separately.

Note: 15K not including other like sofa, coffee table, fan, tv, hi-fi and other electric appliances.

if you know what you want for your house, just let them know and give you a proposal. Then the quotes can be vary from design, materials, and their carpenter's skill....Need to work hard to ask for a few ID houses to compare prices.

I am the lazy type. my friend intro me an ID and i signed. It is the later part that i discuss what i want with him. Of course, the initial package price(when i signed the package) will now be different.

That price from ID is unbelievable.
    If it is from a furniture company then it is believable.
    Professional ID usually will charge more.
    Buying furniture from ikea will already cost about $10k.
    If you want good mattress, that will set you back by a few thousand already.
    I believe they advertise the price from 10 to 15 K.

maybe that 10k is referring to only professional fee

Do u recommend wall paper ? What r the pros and cons?

Thanks everyone
    actually I am talking about furnishing the house not including the furnitures. have not decided to bring in old furniture or buy brand new.
    Just want a feel how much it cost. Trying to convince wife to keep it simple. Never know will l rent it out after staying one year. Wife don't seem to bother about cost when come to this. The sum can cost me a deposit of another property. Real headache.

Quote Originally Posted by 3C
    Thanks everyone
    actually I am talking about furnishing the house not including the furnitures. have not decided to bring in old furniture or buy brand new.
    Just want a feel how much it cost. Trying to convince wife to keep it simple. Never know will l rent it out after staying one year. Wife don't seem to bother about cost when come to this. The sum can cost me a deposit of another property. Real headache.
    LOL..... you make your wife sound like a spendthrift!
    If renovate nicely, it may command a higher rental in future if you wanna let out.
    So mabbe her thinking is to enjoy a nicely renovated house now, and decide later.
    I also like nicely renovated house.
    I am willing to forego some of my vacations abroad for a nice home.

Quote Originally Posted by buttercarp
    LOL..... you make your wife sound like a spendthrift!
    If renovate nicely, it may command a higher rental in future if you wanna let out.
    So mabbe her thinking is to enjoy a nicely renovated house now, and decide later.
    I also like nicely renovated house.
    I am willing to forego some of my vacations abroad for a nice home.
    My wife does not look at the price tags when we go shopping. It's always the first thing I check.
    树大必有枯枝,人多必有白痴。
    树无皮必死无疑,人不要脸天下无敌!

If you want to save money, do not need to involve ID.

Just a few extra phone calls and visits and maybe involve your regular contractor will do. You just need to do some shopping and legwork.

You can also get some ideas in online forum such as renotalk etc.

Quote Originally Posted by leftfield
    My wife does not look at the price tags when we go shopping. It's always the first thing I check.
    You are not alone. I also do that all the time.

That's a good sign.
    It means she is confident that you can afford it !

For me, it is also the price that I am concerned before buying.
    If the shop looks expensive, I won't even dare to step in.

That's a good sign.
    It means she is confident that you can afford it !

For me, it is also the price that I am concerned before buying.
    If the shop looks expensive, I won't even dare to step in.
    I like your positive thinking!

It's really how man and women are wired differently. Women see the process of buying something as an enjoyment, man just want to go in, pay for it and get out!
    树大必有枯枝,人多必有白痴。
    树无皮必死无疑,人不要脸天下无敌!

I like your positive thinking!

It's really how man and women are wired differently. Women see the process of buying something as an enjoyment, man just want to go in, pay for it and get out!
    LOL, what's the hurry bro?
    The longer you take, the more expensive it gets ?
    Last edited by buttercarp; 04-12-12 at 14:25.

LOL, what's the hurry bro?
    The longer you take, the more expensive it gets ?
    Seems to be the case for FEO launches!
    树大必有枯枝,人多必有白痴。
    树无皮必死无疑,人不要脸天下无敌!

I think the difference is...

When a man steps into the shop, he already knows what he wants to buy so he just go look for it, buy, and then go home.

When a woman steps into the shop, she may have nothing in mind but will go look around for things to justify her purchase (witness in Daiso).

Seems to be the case for FEO launches!
    OMG, you are darn right!
    What a comparison!

so long no nagging and happy, nothing else to ask for

Quote Originally Posted by 3C
    Getting my key soon. Anybody have idea what is the reasonable estimated cost for a basic package from ID company for a 3 bedders.
    Any recommendation for a good and reliable ID firm?
    This is for self-stay. So far checked internet a few companies offering
    about 10-15K. Is this just gimmick or will gana kudo when go there
    I spent $20k on my reno. Can save on many things here and there but lightings must be good when it comes to reading, etc. Must always protect the eyes coz cannot change!

Quote Originally Posted by zeamybro
    I think the difference is...

When a man steps into the shop, he already knows what he wants to buy so he just go look for it, buy, and then go home.

When a woman steps into the shop, she may have nothing in mind but will go look around for things to justify her purchase (witness in Daiso).
    Agreed! I know what I want and go straight for it but my wife...

Quote Originally Posted by ysyap
    I spent $20k on my reno. Can save on many things here and there but lightings must be good when it comes to reading, etc. Must always protect the eyes coz cannot change!
    bro, can i know predominately which type of lights you are using?

for my current house i have been using LED lighting, expensive but not too nice looking. i dun mind coz my house was not renovated when we got married. we bought resale hdb.

but for condo, all those nice lights... if use LED, going to cost a bomb. was wondering those philips energy saving lights would suffice. i use the lights alot during the days, coz i am concerned abt my kids' eyes as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Shanhz

for my current house i have been using LED lighting, expensive but not too nice looking. i dun mind coz my house was not renovated when we got married. we bought resale hdb.

but for condo, all those nice lights... if use LED, going to cost a bomb. was wondering those philips energy saving lights would suffice. i use the lights alot during the days, coz i am concerned abt my kids' eyes as well.
    Are LED Lights safe for the eyes?
    They are energy saving so in the long term may be cheaper compared to using Halogen lights.

Quote Originally Posted by ekl2ekl2
    Are LED Lights safe for the eyes?
    They are energy saving so in the long term may be cheaper compared to using Halogen lights.
    Yup, they are safe as long as you don't shine the light directly into the eyes.
    Yes, they are energy saving.

LED lights are indeed good but I didn't use them coz v v expensive... me budget lah. I merely got those with more light tubes so slightly brighter than single tubes. Also, for study area, I used white light. Most areas which don't require reading, I used cool light and a bit of warm light here and there. In fact, I have light warm, cool and day light in some areas to have variety! Lol! Laying wires and installation can be > $2000 and lights can be about same cost too...

LED lights are indeed good but I didn't use them coz v v expensive... me budget lah. I merely got those with more light tubes so slightly brighter than single tubes. Also, for study area, I used white light. Most areas which don't require reading, I used cool light and a bit of warm light here and there. In fact, I have light warm, cool and day light in some areas to have variety! Lol! Laying wires and installation can be > $2000 and lights can be about same cost too...
    exactly my point.. LED lights are almost 10x the cost of normal normal lights. i changed for my house a year ago. say for living room - normal round fluorescent - $38 each. LED lights - $200++ each. and i am talking about entry level only.

but condos dun use that type of lights. usually they use these:

so wondering if you guys use such lights in the rooms as well. and i suspect if they are LED, also not cheap.

exactly my point.. LED lights are almost 10x the cost of normal normal lights. i changed for my house a year ago. say for living room - normal round fluorescent - $38 each. LED lights - $200++ each. and i am talking about entry level only.

but condos dun use that type of lights. usually they use these:

so wondering if you guys use such lights in the rooms as well. and i suspect if they are LED, also not cheap.
    Think buyers have to do their sums to determine when is the break even point in terms of cost and judge whether is it worth buying LED.

Quote Originally Posted by Kanarazu
    Think buyers have to do their sums to determine when is the break even point in terms of cost and judge whether is it worth buying LED.
    i think need engineer to educate me about watts and energy leh

i think need engineer to educate me about watts and energy leh
    Watts is the unit for power. Your bill will be calculated based on your energy consumption which is in Kilowatthour. Higher Watt ratings will naturally consume more energy.

Watts is the unit for power. Your bill will be calculated based on your energy consumption which is in Kilowatthour. Higher Watt ratings will naturally consume more energy.
    aiyo.. i also know. real world situation:

http://www.philips.com.sg/c/energy-s...689818501/prd/

http://www.philips.com.sg/c/led-ligh...116284100/prd/

both 12W, price diff almost 10x. say if on 1 hour a day, what is the cost savings between the 2?