Thread: Most effective cooling measures??

Default Most effective cooling measures??

Instead of focusing on buyers and developers, perhaps the government to consider implement cooling measures for themselves.

One suggest I have for them is for come out with a system where by for land sale, government will award to 2nd highest bidder instead of the highest bidder. This will instantly cause confusion in the market as it is no longer a certainty that developers can win a bid by submitting ridiculously high price.

I know that when developers buy low doesnt mean they will sell low, but I personally think that when market is confused, people will delay their purchase.

The most effective cooling has yet to come. The next cooling should address the hdb issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Ringo33
    Instead of focusing on buyers and developers, perhaps the government to consider implement cooling measures for themselves.

One suggest I have for them is for come out with a system where by for land sale, government will award to 2nd highest bidder instead of the highest bidder. This will instantly cause confusion in the market as it is no longer a certainty that developers can win a bid by submitting ridiculously high price.

I know that when developers buy low doesnt mean they will sell low, but I personally think that when market is confused, people will delay their purchase.
    Then they would not be maximising the value of our national reserves... which leads to the transfer of wealth from our national reserves to profits for the developers.

Not as not an ideal situation.

Quote Originally Posted by kane
    Then they would not be maximising the value of our national reserves... which leads to the transfer of wealth from our national reserves to profits for the developers.

Not as not an ideal situation.
    If land price kep moving north how to cool the market?

Just keep piling up the CM. Up to developers where they are gung ho enough to bid higher.

cooling measure cost is passed on to buyer

ie: developer that absorbs ABSD probably factored the cost into the selling price liao and buyer "perceived" they got a good deal, no need to pay ABSD

Govt need to enforce the time period which developers need to sell their unsold units by.

Why tweak the supply when the problem is on the demand side?

If tomorrow government do a u-turn on their 6.5 million population target, you see whether the developers will still bid sky high prices for land parcels!
    树大必有枯枝,人多必有白痴。
    树无皮必死无疑,人不要脸天下无敌!

Quote Originally Posted by leesg123
    The most effective cooling has yet to come. The next cooling should address the hdb issue.
    Bro, why you say that??? I am serious... I

Want to hear your view.

aiya aiyoyo ... we are globalized, if you keep piling up CMs and price correct 20% cheaper than Shanghai then rich ppl from Shanghai simply pay ABSD 10% and clean up our prime properties ...
    Ride at your own risk !!!

Quote Originally Posted by kane
    Just keep piling up the CM. Up to developers where they are gung ho enough to bid higher.
    Developers are just middle man, they are not the end user of the property. Ultimately, what the government gain from land sale will come from the pocket of both buyers and investors not the developers.

And the only reason why Singaporeans are still buying property despite the high price is because developers are doing their part to continue making aggressive bid for land.

Most effective cooling measure is to restrict to one outstanding home mortgage at any one time

Quote Originally Posted by PropertyNewbie
    Most effective cooling measure is to restrict to one outstanding home mortgage at any one time
    already more or less in place. 60% or 40% LTV, not many pple can afford already.

Quote Originally Posted by PropertyNewbie
    why not follow China way, restrict only 2 units per household. price will drop 50% as Mr B wished. Are you sure everybody happy? nobody will sell then. resale market will die, developer will cry.

I think the govt. should continue to award to the highest bidder in GLS as it is to the govt. coffers . Though the coffers might have to go to the GLC bailouts ..hehe..

But the point is land sales must fetch the highest price for a responsible government.

1) The cooling measures might be more on the timeframe restriction. Govt. already doing it via the SSD , but maybe it should be fixed at 16% for the duration of 5yrs.
    2) Foreigners can only sell to SINGAPOREANS. Instant repricing of the condo affordability as investors will then look seriously at the wage level of the potential buyers.
    3) HDB side - most devastating. Kill the majority of singaporeans who are now buying condo to stay and renting out their HDB. Anyone who buys a condo to live in will have to sell their HDB. But if you are staying in HDB and renting out condo, still allow. Rationale is HDB is FOR STAYING, NOT FOR RENTING OUT WHOLESALE.
    4) PRs are not allowed to RENT OUT HDB FULLSTOP.

Quote Originally Posted by focus
    I think the govt. should continue to award to the highest bidder in GLS as it is to the govt. coffers . Though the coffers might have to go to the GLC bailouts ..hehe..

But the point is land sales must fetch the highest price for a responsible government.

1) The cooling measures might be more on the timeframe restriction. Govt. already doing it via the SSD , but maybe it should be fixed at 16% for the duration of 5yrs.
    2) Foreigners can only sell to SINGAPOREANS. Instant repricing of the condo affordability as investors will then look seriously at the wage level of the potential buyers.
    3) HDB side - most devastating. Kill the majority of singaporeans who are now buying condo to stay and renting out their HDB. Anyone who buys a condo to live in will have to sell their HDB. But if you are staying in HDB and renting out condo, still allow. Rationale is HDB is FOR STAYING, NOT FOR RENTING OUT WHOLESALE.
    4) PRs are not allowed to RENT OUT HDB FULLSTOP.
    duh.... why would you want to crash HDB prices and jack up private property prices????

hahaha...another thing, allow them to stay in HDB and then rent out the condo, what is this?? What is the cooling measure now for? C what M, just build more hdb for ppl to stay and sell them at a reasonable price, the govt is actually in control of this. any surplus just keep it as inventory to buffer any upside in demand. full stop, case close. with more supply of BTO, resale activities will slows and PC activities will eventually also slows and there you go, price will stablize, isn't this part of the objectives? No choice but this has to take time and just be patient.
    those who cannot wait just got married or what, just rent first, then when BTO ready, just move in. And those who can afford, rent PC. this is how the HDB rental market is also doing its job. As i have mentioned a few times, if HDB is not for renting, then the govt will have to take care of housing for FT, and bla bla and they where got time?? Let market do its job. Cannot do too much as we want to be a free market, i mean as free as possible and whenever possible i know they are trying very hard...
    sit back and relax...
    No more CM needed...

Quote Originally Posted by wind30
    duh.... why would you want to crash HDB prices and jack up private property prices????

watch out for more listed property counter to be delisted.. SC Global starts the ball rolling...

Quote Originally Posted by Allthepies
    watch out for more listed property counter to be delisted.. SC Global starts the ball rolling...
    I suspect SC Global could be trying to go private and then sell of those unsold property to in family members or trustees to avoid paying taxes.

I suspect SC Global could be trying to go private and then sell of those unsold property to in family members or trustees to avoid paying taxes.

how to avoid paying taxes when transfering?

Spend $750 million to do this ? You know how many property units there have left ? Maybe 200+ units only.

DKSG

Their 200+ units probably have a market value in the billions. Haha. Anyway, by delisting, they can have the option to relist and raise more money. Now they buy back at a cheaper price first.

once they private, they already can hold long long like FEO wait for the next upturn in CCR. for simon cheong if he have holding power, who cares how long he need to wait. or can just lease out

Quote Originally Posted by DKSG
    Spend $750 million to do this ? You know how many property units there have left ? Maybe 200+ units only.

DKSG
    IF SC Global is unable to offload these 200+ within 5 years dateline, they will have to pay 10% ABSD. if SC global goes private, Simon Cheong or this other family members could buy over the 200+ units by paying just 3% ABSD at a undisclosed discounted rate.