Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: To All The Jobless Souls Out There

Default To All The Jobless Souls Out There

Today, I open my heart once more to share my job search struggles the past year.

Oct 2011 - I left my position in an MNC due to personal reasons (actually wanted to elaborate more here but since my ID has been compromised, I cannot do so professionally). Anyway, fyi, till today they have not (managed) to find a replacement. I believe in the first place they need not / could ill afford this resource. But I'm happy I helped them out during that busiest period of office moves and trade launches and made a few friends in the process. Not all is bad.

Nov 2011 - KG topped, I was happily shifting over and doing up the place and enjoying the year end. No serious job search but a few MNCs (local MNCs) interviews came up before the end of the year. Went but did not get past first round.

Jan-May 2012 - Most of the time was spent doing really nothing much, I was also at the same time cutting out lots of stuff from my life and trying to improve my deteriorating health with diet and exercise. I also quitted smoking cold turkey without any bad effects. In my spare time I was going through all the Final Fantasy series on the PS3 and then some favorites I missed like Chrono Cross, Chrono Trigger, PE1 and 2 (absolutely loved these), Silent Hill etc. It was like I was living in lalaland... with no emotional up and down, no stress no mess... but the invisible stress is actually building up. In the midst of it, I also ended a relationship of 4+ yrs.

Feb 2012 - IRAS send me a bomb letter. The rest is history as from this forum, and how it perpetrated my 'disappearance' (rather, transformation into another unstable element) from this forum. I did however truly appreciate all the advices given on my case. It truly helped me move on despite all the (self inflicted I guess, and circumstantial) bad luck.

Mar-Jun 2012 - There was a few interviews as well, one of which the headhunter even revealed that the hiring manager almost chose me, but decided on the other candidate instead. I took it as she was being nice.

Jun 2012 - I finally awoken and decided to do something more constructive about my life. So I moved in with relatives and put up KG for rent. It served me well to provide good income. I also started to seriously apply for jobs.

Jul 2012 - Heater problem with one of my other unit. Developer was kind to rectify and FOC on 'goodwill basis' despite beyond DLP. That was how close I had gotten to that particular developer. I didn't realise myself.

Sep 2012 - There was some problems with my KG unit, due to tenant not allowing access when contractor wanted to rectify, the problem escalated to the extent tenant had to break lease after just a few months. Developer was actually nice enough to offer to put up the tenant at hotel for a few days while doing the rectification. But tenant rejected.

Nov 2012 - I planned for my reappearance here.

Dec 2012 - I finished my community service here and look forward to 21 Dec reappearance as myself. However... (rest is history as you know it). I still owe price an answer. That, I will do so as promised on 21 Dec. In private, of course.

So my last interview was sometime in August I think. I applied for over 50 jobs (all levels junior to senior, mostly during past 6 months) and I counted about 7-8 interviews. Mine is a rather niche segment so I guess this is expected. In the past, I was lucky to get a job upon 2 rounds of interview with the company. Notwithstanding the fact that those times I was holding on to a job while searching, actually the process from first look to eventually jumping ship also took more than 6 months to a year each time.

Therefore, I console myself, and to other jobless and actively searching bros out there, things will look up. Leave no stone unturned, explore every job site and company website, work with capable headhunters who have your interests at heart (not those who just merely trying to hit quota or anyhow keyword match despite knowing nuts about your domain), and network.

2013 will be a better year for us all.

Now, I just can't wait for it to end.
    Last edited by mcmlxxvi; 14-12-12 at 09:47.

ikan bilis is offline i'm Buaya ! Girls BEWARE !!...

Quote Originally Posted by mcmlxxvi
    .....and to other jobless and actively searching bros out there.....
    wrong forum... down here very little but tons in cna forum side,... that side lots of people everyday nothing to do, klkk & tcss....

set a time limit, if really cannot find jobs, then don;t find liow,... not "giving up" but try switch to some odd jobs and at the same time searching for some small business opportunity around...

I read this post with my heart, listening and feel the same.

Someone offered me a post I like in Feb this year, a very so called sincere offer, and made me waited till today. In between, here and there offers, but not keen.

Enjoying my life and taking care of my health are the utmost important now.

I wish 2013 is a superb good year for all, particularly for health and happiness....and family...

Quote Originally Posted by ikan bilis
    wrong forum... down here very little but tons in cna forum side,... that side lots of people everyday nothing to do, klkk & tcss....

set a time limit, if really cannot find jobs, then don;t find liow,... not "giving up" but try switch to some odd jobs and at the same time searching for some small business opportunity around...

Actually I am tempted to just go be a property agent.

But coz of the taxman case, they will immediately label me a trader and no need to 'review' anymore hahaha.

Quote Originally Posted by Laguna
    I read this post with my heart, listening and feel the same.

Someone offered me a post I like in Feb this year, a very so called sincere offer, and made me waited till today. In between, here and there offers, but not keen.

Enjoying my life and taking care of my health are the utmost important now.

I wish 2013 is a superb good year for all, particularly for health and happiness....and family...
    This is indeed a really long stretched out offer period... amazing. You are right, there are other priorities in life other than work. This is the best time to pay dues to those.

there are some alternatives to permanent employment; freelance (for niche skilled sector), project/contract based roles, start a small biz (be it internet based, financial advisor, or property agent)

no harm taking other courses to learn more (treat as a learning process); post-grad/extra degree or diploma, CMFAS papers or RES paper... these may not be your interest now but no harm keeping an open mind to learn extra during free time

make best use of your time 青春不留白
    but enjoy the process
    if you dont't own any property, you're short. take cover quickly

Go register as a candidate for punggol east smc.

My spouse wants to try out agent's life. Asked spouse to find a mentor and try first to see if she enjoys it. It may look easy from the outside. In company, only got one boss but many bosses in real estate job.

But coz of the taxman case, they will immediately label me a trader and no need to 'review' anymore hahaha.

Same situation as me... left my job at MNC Nov 2011, lazed for a couple of months and had 2 offers along the way but decided to work on a consultation basis to allow myself a good break and spend more time with family.

Like Laguna, I am happier and has time to exercise (something I had not done for 20 years) and feeling healthier as well. Got time to smell flowers along the way too

Merry X'mas and a better 2013 to everyone
    When you have eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth

Hi mcm,
    After reading your post, I have decided not to complain but be happy that I have a job. The last few weeks have been very busy and I became quite resentful as I don't have time to come to this forum. When I get home, I hardly have any energy left and will just plonk onto bed and sleep.

Just keep trying to find the right job and not settle for second best.
    You have rentals as a source of income, hence you need not be in a rush to find a job.

I hope that your health has improved since and wish you a merry xmas, happy new year and good health, always!

(btw which condo is KG?)

Best regards,
    Buttercarp.

It is tough going being unemployed. Being single and has a rental income doesn't make it any easier. Throw away all your formal qualifications. I know I did. I have 2 master degrees from aussie uni. It is now worth less than a toilet paper. Hanging on to something that doesn't work now is not going to make it work tomorrow. U are wasting precious time. Better get a trade certification or start a small busiiness. You are not getting tougher just for waiting.

Quote Originally Posted by indomie
    It is tough going being unemployed. Being single and has a rental income doesn't make it any easier. Throw away all your formal qualifications. I know I did. I have 2 master degrees from aussie uni. It is now worth less than a toilet paper. Hanging on to something that doesn't work now is not going to make it work tomorrow. U are wasting precious time. Better get a trade certification or start a small busiiness. You are not getting tougher just for waiting.
    I agree with you on this as I have a degree from the University of Sydney donkey years ago. I found it really useless and as you said like "toilet paper."

Paper qualification is only the passport. Bottomline is still performance. The only problem is that the goalpost keep moving and can become stressful unless you are in the top position.

Cool

Trader can't be agent???

mcm, i am not sure about your financial background.

can you multiple properties help generate decent passive income along the way?

don't give up. but i must say the job market will get even terrible when more highly skilled american and european come over to asia in the next several years.
    I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference.” - Robert Frost quotes (American poet, 1874-1963)

Quote Originally Posted by auroraborealis
    there are some alternatives to permanent employment; freelance (for niche skilled sector), project/contract based roles, start a small biz (be it internet based, financial advisor, or property agent)

no harm taking other courses to learn more (treat as a learning process); post-grad/extra degree or diploma, CMFAS papers or RES paper... these may not be your interest now but no harm keeping an open mind to learn extra during free time

make best use of your time 青春不留白
    but enjoy the process
    well said... job or no job, time ticks away... ok I go and learn to speak Korean now wahaha

Quote Originally Posted by azeoprop
    Go register as a candidate for punggol east smc.
    Since M Palmer is out of there I guess there won't be any chance of new scandal between me and him...

But Mr Teo SL is taking charge now there... high risk for me.

Quote Originally Posted by DC33_2008
    My spouse wants to try out agent's life. Asked spouse to find a mentor and try first to see if she enjoys it. It may look easy from the outside. In company, only got one boss but many bosses in real estate job.
    How so bro? The many bosses part... you mean all the owners and landlords and customers right?

To me, ppty agent is very similar to sales, account management, financial advisor combined.

Quote Originally Posted by sherlock
    Same situation as me... left my job at MNC Nov 2011, lazed for a couple of months and had 2 offers along the way but decided to work on a consultation basis to allow myself a good break and spend more time with family.

Like Laguna, I am happier and has time to exercise (something I had not done for 20 years) and feeling healthier as well. Got time to smell flowers along the way too

Merry X'mas and a better 2013 to everyone
    at least you still got people wana consult... for me nobody to insult me I very happy liao hahaha...

Quote Originally Posted by buttercarp
    Hi mcm,
    After reading your post, I have decided not to complain but be happy that I have a job. The last few weeks have been very busy and I became quite resentful as I don't have time to come to this forum. When I get home, I hardly have any energy left and will just plonk onto bed and sleep.

Just keep trying to find the right job and not settle for second best.
    You have rentals as a source of income, hence you need not be in a rush to find a job.

I hope that your health has improved since and wish you a merry xmas, happy new year and good health, always!

(btw which condo is KG?)

Best regards,
    Buttercarp.
    Thank you for your kind wishes sister. Ganbatte!

KG = Kovan Grander

Tough love.... but I like. Thanks bro for sharing and advice!

Quote Originally Posted by jeaprp
    Trader can't be agent???
    Trader CAN be agent.

But agent, definitely labelled as TRADER. lol..... weird right.

What's the IRAS bomb? Didnt follow...

Quote Originally Posted by roly8
    mcm, i am not sure about your financial background.

can you multiple properties help generate decent passive income along the way?

don't give up. but i must say the job market will get even terrible when more highly skilled american and european come over to asia in the next several years.
    Thx bro roly... I not sure if you giving me hope or taking it away haha but I hear you. Yes all ANALyst reports points to a worse 2013 job market. Tighter and definitely no hope of wage increment. For me I'm willing to take half of my last drawn... but nobody even responds?? Something wrong somewhere. I didn't even put my last drawn salary in my application.

I seriously think there are a lot of hungry job seekers out there competing. For an entry level job, they rather choose someone whose experience is slight. Coz they know even if they accept the experienced one, he won't stay long once a matching opportunity comes along.

No problem surviving on passive income. But as I pointed out, there are risks if can't find tenant...

Quote Originally Posted by august
    What's the IRAS bomb? Didnt follow...
    http://forums.condosingapore.com/showthread.php?t=13030

Thx bro roly... I not sure if you giving me hope or taking it away haha but I hear you. Yes all ANALyst reports points to a worse 2013 job market. Tighter and definitely no hope of wage increment. For me I'm willing to take half of my last drawn... but nobody even responds?? Something wrong somewhere. I didn't even put my last drawn salary in my application.

I seriously think there are a lot of hungry job seekers out there competing. For an entry level job, they rather choose someone whose experience is slight. Coz they know even if they accept the experienced one, he won't stay long once a matching opportunity comes along.

No problem surviving on passive income. But as I pointed out, there are risks if can't find tenant...
    There is definitely something wrong if our "used by date" as employee is getting shorter. Perhaps our skills are too general. Perhaps computers take away back end jobs (admins) as well as front end jobs (marketing that can be done through the internet). Even now, wars are fought using drones not pilot. Perhaps in the future even banking jobs will be obsoletes. My robot talk to bank robot to make deals. Btw its already happeing with automation forex trading.

hope you have started keeping sufficient cash buffer
    I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference.” - Robert Frost quotes (American poet, 1874-1963)

Cool

Trader CAN be agent.

But agent, definitely labelled as TRADER. lol..... weird right.
    become agent , u can serve yr own needs also.
    save some comm

Quote Originally Posted by roly8
    hope you have started keeping sufficient cash buffer
    got la... else think I will come in here tcss meh

will be on the streets scouring for scraps liao

There is definitely something wrong if our "used by date" as employee is getting shorter. Perhaps our skills are too general. Perhaps computers take away back end jobs (admins) as well as front end jobs (marketing that can be done through the internet). Even now, wars are fought using drones not pilot. Perhaps in the future even banking jobs will be obsoletes. My robot talk to bank robot to make deals. Btw its already happeing with automation forex trading.
    you are right.

if everyone is hardworking to do their own due diligence (both buyer and seller sides), there will be extinction of 'in-betweeners' like property agent, brokers, headhunters, financial advisors, bankers, mortgage brokers etc.... SG market is actually quite open.