Thread: Need advise on how to check property title..

Default Need advise on how to check property title..

Dear forumers,

Way back in the 90s, my mum purchased a property with an aunt.

How can I go about helping her check what was the purchase arrangement then?
    I understand for joint purchase, it can either be tenancy in common or joint tenancy. Is there anyway I can help to find out about this purchase arrangement as my mum could not recall?

Thanks

Check with the lawyer?

I did a google and

http://www.inlis.gov.sg/LINNS/LINNS-...trProduct=LOIS

ikan bilis is offline i'm Buaya ! Girls BEWARE !!...

if HDB, just log on to hdb website with singpass, information is inside your hdb flat particulars.

if private, think can purchase from www.inlis.gov.sg. I bought once and it showed condo sellers as "joint tenants". think that means joint tenancy ??...

Quote Originally Posted by Ricade
    Dear forumers,

I understand for joint purchase, it can either be tenancy in common or joint tenancy. Is there anyway I can help to find out about this purchase arrangement as my mum could not recall?

Thanks
    I am so happy you ask this question here, brother Ricade.

The land office ,as indicated in the link by brother mcmlxxvi, should have a copy record of your title deed. you can pay a small sum and retrieve a copy of your title deed.

In your title deed, page 2, you can find the names of the owners. above the names will indicate joint tenants or tenants-in-common.

I dunno ancient title deeds got state or not. But you can try the land office.

Good Luck

ikan bilis is offline i'm Buaya ! Girls BEWARE !!...

i think the transfer instrument document from iras/sla also states "after the transfer, property is held in xxxxx"

check your title transfer instrument...

Awesome.. I got this:

2. Why is the Land Register opened for searches by anyone?
    The Singapore Land Authority (SLA) maintains a public land-register in accordance with the Land Titles Act. This land register is the authoritative record on the ownership of all properties registered under the Act in Singapore.

Section 161 of the Act provides that any person may, upon payment of a prescribed fee, have access to the land-register for the purpose of inspection and search. Through this search, a person may obtain land and ownership information of the property he is interested in. However, he can only conduct this search if he provides SLA with the property's address (or the property's Lot number and Mukim/Town subdivision number) and pays the requisite fees. The information that is made available to him is part of the public record of the property that he has identified.

What information can you obtain from a land-register?

The Land-register provides information on:

Whether it is freehold or leasehold or others
    Land area of the property
    The name(s) of the registered owners
    The legal arrangement by which the registered owners own the property (eg. Joint tenants or Tenants in common)
    The addresses for service of legal notices on the registered owners
    Whether there are legal interests (eg. Mortgages, CPF Charge) affecting the property

Thanks!

Anyway, you got the answer. Can be found in the strata title or land title. It should also be found with the the lawyers' document of new bank loan or refinanced document.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricade
    Dear forumers,

Thanks

My friend just shared with me his case this week and was to my total surprise.
    The property was jointly owned by him and his auntie, ie joint tenancy, but was changed to tenancy in common without his knowledge and signature.

I checked with my lawyer and confirmed that it cannot be done...but it was done....

anyone has any encounter on this before?

Quote Originally Posted by Laguna
    My friend just shared with me his case this week and was to my total surprise.
    The property was jointly owned by him and his auntie, ie joint tenancy, but was changed to tenancy in common without his knowledge and signature.

I checked with my lawyer and confirmed that it cannot be done...but it was done....

anyone has any encounter on this before?
    To sever joint tenancy, both owners must agree and sign a document. Your friend can do search with land titles registry and extract the severance document and see if his signature was "forged".