Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Forum Etiquette

Quote Originally Posted by Secretariat
    I was just a reader, and decided to post a few months ago.

The forum's responses to the posting were, at times, rather cynical. And so, I thought why bother to post, since many are not interested in views of others.

I posted some comments at Renotalk for a couple of years, under the nick Lauer, and never gotten the same kind of receptions.

Here? Why bother...
    The Renotalk got less people, so maybe less opinion. Pls continue to post.

Happy NY

I am new to this forum. Chance upon it when I was googling for property and was linked to here.

Many like me were unable to register, for several months, as the forum were closed for new register. Hence was left out in the dry, only can read all your postings. Finally, was able to register as new member, but was not able to post.

Only today, I was able to post. FINALLY, I can post!!!!

I agree that we need to keep this forum healthy. That is what a great forum is for. It is for like-minded professional (condo-investors) to come together to share and learn form each other.

If the forum turns into a "free-for-all" language and behaviour, then soon, it will be avoided by all.

We may disagree with each other opinion, but let's respect each other point of view. Not get personal.

Cheers.

It's weird... how long did it take from the day you join to now when you could post?

Quote Originally Posted by GoodLife
    I am new to this forum. Chance upon it when I was googling for property and was linked to here.

Many like me were unable to register, for several months, as the forum were closed for new register. Hence was left out in the dry, only can read all your postings. Finally, was able to register as new member, but was not able to post.

Only today, I was able to post. FINALLY, I can post!!!!

I agree that we need to keep this forum healthy. That is what a great forum is for. It is for like-minded professional (condo-investors) to come together to share and learn form each other.

If the forum turns into a "free-for-all" language and behaviour, then soon, it will be avoided by all.

We may disagree with each other opinion, but let's respect each other point of view. Not get personal.

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by mcmlxxvi
    It's weird... how long did it take from the day you join to now when you could post?
    1 week. Registered on 24 Dec.

The wait for regristering was longer. I started searching for PC in Oct/Nov. Only on 24 Dec, was I able to register. Send email to Administrator also no reply. Maybe Admin busy going showflat and buying PC. heeeee

But this forum is good information ground. I did choose my PC after reading postings by your guys. Thanks.

Now looking for my 2nd PC.......
    Last edited by GoodLife; 31-12-12 at 10:02.

1 week. Registered on 24 Dec.

The wait for regristering was longer. I started searching for PC in Oct/Nov. Only on 24 Dec, was I able to register. Send email to Administrator also no reply. Maybe Admin busy going showflat and buying PC. heeeee

But this forum is good information ground. I did choose my PC after reading postings by your guys. Thanks.

Now looking for my 2nd PC.......
    Admin busy moderating off 'sh itty and s holey posts la'....

BTW since you said this forum helped u with your decision, care to share which one you bought?

Quote Originally Posted by mcmlxxvi
    Admin busy moderating off 'sh itty and s holey posts la'....

BTW since you said this forum helped u with your decision, care to share which one you bought?

eCO SOHO! Laguna's choice too......

Quote Originally Posted by yowetan
    Hi...I like Mt Sinai intrinsic value and attraction - Serene & Green and strategically position and a quality primary school.
    Do what u like, don't be bothered by what others say.
    as long as u are happy

The forum's responses to the posting were, at times, rather cynical. And so, I thought why bother to post, since many are not interested in views of others.

I posted some comments at Renotalk for a couple of years, under the nick Lauer, and never gotten the same kind of receptions.

Here? Why bother...
    Hi Secretariat, your posts are informative and I look forward to them.
    Renotalk forum people are serious people looking for advice when they need to renovate their homes, after that they disappear and reappear again later if they need help . It's a one off thing.
    Here people come and tcss as well, so inevitably there will be different types of responses.

Let's see on 5 Feb the tender for land parcel next to eCO will be closed.
    Market is seeing around $850....

Cheers.
    This forum is not just mainly on condo investment, you can talk anything under the sun too but inorder to keep this forum "clean", we must have a limit to our words and know when to stop.

Quote Originally Posted by buttercarp
    Hi Secretariat, your posts are informative and I look forward to them.
    Renotalk forum people are serious people looking for advice when they need to renovate their homes, after that they disappear and reappear again later if they need help . It's a one off thing.
    Here people come and tcss as well, so inevitably there will be different types of responses.
    That will be fine, if I intended to visit this forum to hehehaha everytime.

I have benefited from the generosity of the contributors of Renotalk forum, information that explained the process of landed purchasing and reconstruction, without which the houses would probably not be built. The valuation has more than doubled in a short 2-years, and multi-folds when calculating against capital employed. It does seen terribly unfair for those who missed the opportunity, especially if they had hesitated dong landed because of a lack of knowledge and guidance from someone.

I owed these contributors for showing the way, and in return therefore I was also trying to help the others, as from experience, very very few people have the competency.

And my appearance in this forum was widen the coverage, in addition to Renotalk, particularly for the subject of landed construction.

So, if anyone has any questions on landed, you can send me the PM via Renotalk, as this is the last post.

Happy new year to All.

Cheers!

Can forum admin change the settings.. so that newbies (i mean new nicks) can only start a thread when they have hit something like 25 posts or whatever?

So they will need to participate (hopefully constructively) first, before starting so many threads, this will ensure healthy discussion and not so many threads bashing here and there.

Quote Originally Posted by Shanhz
    Can forum admin change the settings.. so that newbies (i mean new nicks) can only start a thread when they have hit something like 25 posts or whatever?

So they will need to participate (hopefully constructively) first, before starting so many threads, this will ensure healthy discussion and not so many threads bashing here and there.
    Hi shanz, you ca pm the administrator regarding this issue.

That will be fine, if I intended to visit this forum to hehehaha everytime.

I have benefited from the generosity of the contributors of Renotalk forum, information that explained the process of landed purchasing and reconstruction, without which the houses would probably not be built. The valuation has more than doubled in a short 2-years, and multi-folds when calculating against capital employed. It does seen terribly unfair for those who missed the opportunity, especially if they had hesitated dong landed because of a lack of knowledge and guidance from someone.

I owed these contributors for showing the way, and in return therefore I was also trying to help the others, as from experience, very very few people have the competency.

And my appearance in this forum was widen the coverage, in addition to Renotalk, particularly for the subject of landed construction.

So, if anyone has any questions on landed, you can send me the PM via Renotalk, as this is the last post.

Happy new year to All.

Cheers!

Here? Why bother...
    Just realized the secretariat has really decided not to post anymore.
    So if you need to contact him, you can do so at renotalk forum.
    His user name is Lauer there.

Quote Originally Posted by Shanhz

New Nick here. And I totally agree with Shanhz. I seemed to be distracted by the new threads, which lasts a few pages and stall. Tiring and may not be beneficial/constructive and usually does not have the contents. IMHO

Actually l think the problem is not with the "newbies".

The problem lies with the "seniors" who are not receptive to new ideas and relentlessly and viciously attack the "newbies".

For example l think @economists presents valid arguments and rational debate. But just because his view is contrary to the bullish"seniors", his is somewhat "attacked". Ifeel it is refreshing to have diverse views

Btw, just because one is new to the forum does not necessarily mean he/she is new to the property scene.

For the moment, there is enough posting made so I will just lurk. Ahaha.

There are 2 posters that drew me to this forum initially and still do:

bargain hunter, who has been consistently objective. I look at the same data as he does, but not as intensely,

Vic. Although posting almost exclusively on debts/CPF, his messages are very subtle, YBYM, but more importantly he looks at risk all the time.

I am thankful of their contributions.

And there are others.

"There is no bear in the property market"

People who are not vested, they will buy eventually, if even only for consumption.

People who rent, they are our customers. Unless they plan on leaving Singapore, they will buy eventually. (You think they are so happy to hand over their hard earned money to us meh?)

For the forum opinion leaders, you should be delighted when they post. Isn't these the opportunity to convert them into buyers? It is counter productive to piss them off if you think about it.

Opinion leaders should behave like missionaries, whose mission to spread the messages of God, converting non believers into believers. In carrying out their works, the missionaries are gentle to the flock, stayed truthful to the messages. They don't laugh at non believers, they don't impose their belief. Unless they are ISIS.

Buying a property is a big financial commitment, and not all buyers are investors. We should be responsible in what we say publicly. We present the fact, that's all. We can make speculation, but not presenting it as fact.

Some said, "property is always going up". This is true, but only when we look at it over a long time period say 20, 30 years. In between the years, there are cycles. Property purchase is leveraged, when a purchase is made at the wrong timing within cycles, the capital deployed can be wiped out.

Some will say "oh, never mind it is just a paper loss if I don't sell". That's just fooling yourselves. No matter how I quantified the so-called paper loss, to me it is real. So, stop being lazy when you are making a decision to buy, alright? Assess all the risks before making a decision, if not for yourself then for your family.

The property market is not static, the underlying fundamental kept changing. Which type of property will be a winner in this cycle is not necessarily the winner in the previous'. And I sense that the cycle is getting shorter and shorter, so do stay nimble if you planned on buying.

(To the French guy, you made a million, others have made millions. You counted 3 in your portfolio, including one that is sold, others probably have 6 etc but they keep quiet. You don't know how to deploy your money other than property, it only means that you are not smarter than those who do.

It's all about substance in what you say. But if you choose to be a fool, nobody can stop you. Ahaha)

Sayonara!

In 2013 I stuck to my philosophy of wait rather than to buy a small property with stock gains.

I think I was a minority as well, attacked for contrarian views that there was limited upside, and huge risks for downside especially high quantum properties.

I stuck to my views and refrained from buying then.

Even after my ideal place to buy was launched I refrained as prices were too high I felt.

Indeed ultimately the price fell by about 100k and the price I bought was amongst the lowest in the development which was sold out quite soon after.

My point is, if don't believe, what we can do is to wait. But we just bear with the consequences of waiting, good or bad.

And the risks differ for different groups of waiters. In terms of time point, the risks are moderate as price rise will also be moderated. One simply can catch up unless the supply runs dry.
    The three laws of Kelonguni:

Where there is kelong, there is guni.
    No kelong no guni.
    More kelong = more guni.

kelonguni, may i know what is that ideal place you are referring to?

Quote Originally Posted by CPMW View Post
    kelonguni, may i know what is that ideal place you are referring to?
    What is ideal for me may not be ideal for another.

It's near decent schools and the employment area of my spouse and I, as well as that of many others. HDB prices and rental are amongst the top estates.

Either way of deployment it suits my needs.

No kelong no guni.
    More kelong = more guni.

for me, away from my work place, away from the crowds

i love quiet and nature

Such places with nature and space getting really, really rare. You may be surprised that there are people who like to rent this kind of place that is not so near MRT, although rent is not high (not that low as well).

Living far from workplace is a good choice too but I think needs to be supported by private transport. I have a colleague who must live far away from workplace.

And that should be one of my choices when I stop working as well.

But actually with Singapore's way of managing space, we might be able to find places that allow us to switch off but not so far from our workplace.

Quote Originally Posted by DMCK View Post

i love quiet and nature

No kelong no guni.
    More kelong = more guni.

Talking about future spaces that is not so 'away' from everything. This is one huge site post 2030 which you can consider. Sea or Marina facing.

https://www.ura.gov.sg/uol/master-pl...aterfront.aspx

Should not one common sense etiquette is to minimize out of topic posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tomutomi View Post
    Should not one common sense etiquette is to minimize out of topic posts
    Don't be so serious, life is short. Enjoy every day like your last day and you will love it.

Quote Originally Posted by DMCK View Post

i love quiet and nature
    JB should be far enough...