Default My Ageing Body

我的身体已经开始向我讨债,
    陈年旧债加利息,利上加利
    我真的不知道我能还清吗?

Quote Originally Posted by Laguna
    我的身体已经开始向我讨债,
    陈年旧债加利息,利上加利
    我真的不知道我能还清吗?
    don't like that leh.... don't remind me... new year coming....

我的身体已经开始向我讨债,
    陈年旧债加利息,利上加利
    我真的不知道我能还清吗?
    Dear Laguna, pls take care!

laguna, u know what is your mistake?

you wrote in one of your posts that you take a steak during one of your overseas trip..

as one get older, you should cut down on meat... more into vege.

old body cannot digest lot of meat..

my parent and grandparents are still kicking ass.. no problem with walking ... no major illness all because of the diet we have..

all are above 60+..
    and the two are near above 90..

you guys will be shocked if i tell you i drink coffee without sugar nowadays.. after my grandma hospitalise due to diabetic ..

either you buy up ton of insurance to cover your 'pain' later on
    or
    you start to really care alot about your body.

i can nag whole day about keeping healthy lifestyle.. if you want.

but at the end of the day, it is your choice.. no one can force you..

Conclusion:

1. makan - have more vege (90%) + less meat ( keep below 10%) + brown rice + less sugar + less salt + less oil.. will helps alot.

2. exercise to increase body resistance!

hawker food is the worst! you guys watch out.
    not to say fast food. even more jialat!

- Dr (unofficial) roly (at work again).
    I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference.” - Robert Frost quotes (American poet, 1874-1963)

roly is right, my skin and alertness was the best ever when i was on vegetarian diet, these days every meal eat meat, skin like shit, hair dropping lol
    click: 🏢shoeboxmickeymousehouse 🏢

How abt eating fish instead of beef?

Quote Originally Posted by Lovelle
    How abt eating fish instead of beef?
    yea. have fish instead..

less deep fried also
    I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference.” - Robert Frost quotes (American poet, 1874-1963)

Laguna, health is more important than wealth, take care.

my advice to everyone is take lots of fruits and plenty of oats. meat is okay if taken in moderation. don't practise total abstinence, not healthy to force yourself n live in misery.

Quote Originally Posted by mcmlxxvi
    roly is right, my skin and alertness was the best ever when i was on vegetarian diet, these days every meal eat meat, skin like shit, hair dropping lol
    My hair dropped a lot when I was on a low carb and vegetarian diet.
    I think if wanna go vegetarian, must be very careful.
    Must know what type of food to include in the diet, otherwise your body cannot tahan.

We are omnivorous so we need some meat.

i am not surprise 25-26 yr started to lose 20% of his hair already..
    my cousin's front hair already bald very jialat..

mainly due to frequent eat out..

always got MSG

and some of the yummy food are cook using pig oil

even got food stalls re-fried the fried stuffs with the same oil for the entire day..
    i heard old jangkee doing this..

Wink

我的身体已经开始向我讨债,
    陈年旧债加利息,利上加利
    我真的不知道我能还清吗?
    Frankly, if u allow me to share, in certain way I experiencing the same . Ever since I had injured my back and knee . I have learnt to manage the pain then expecting to heal or go for opt.

Nit sure of what your aliment, learnt to manage and adapt or avoid certain things, food or sport which may impact the conditions.

Do google research on your conditions, so that u can better understand and manage .also need to alter your routine to suite etc etc

Most importantly, stay positive and happy. And not dwell in the aliment.

A cheerful heart is good medicine

sis butter, i think effects on men and women quite diff when it comes to diet. plus diff diet works differently on diff pple anyway...
    click: 🏢shoeboxmickeymousehouse 🏢

sis butter, i think effects on men and women quite diff when it comes to diet. plus diff diet works differently on diff pple anyway...
    I think so, it depends on individual health. Sometimes dropping of hair also has something to do with stress, insufficent sleep, shampoo or dying of hair too often. I dropped a lot of hair too especially washing my hair, sometimes can be a bunch of it, scary hor. My hair is getting thinner and thinner . Think of the time when I was young, 有一头乌黑闪闪的长发.

Quote Originally Posted by irisng
    I think so, it depends on individual health. Sometimes dropping of hair also has something to do with stress, insufficent sleep, shampoo or dying of hair too often. I dropped a lot of hair too especially washing my hair, sometimes can be a bunch of it, scary hor. My hair is getting thinner and thinner . Think of the time when I was young, 有一头乌黑闪闪的长发.
    After I improved my diet and gained back some weight, my hair condition improved.
    Then I found this shampoo for oily hair.
    I think the dieting led to imbalance of oil in my scalp and it became oily.

Quote Originally Posted by roly8
    Conclusion:

1. makan - have more vege (90%) + less meat ( keep below 10%) + brown rice + less sugar + less salt + less oil.. will helps alot.

2. exercise to increase body resistance!

hawker food is the worst! you guys watch out.
    not to say fast food. even more jialat!
    I, very jialat, seldom take vegetables but took a lot of titbits, especially when watching TV. This few days took a lot of durians + can drinks, never control my diet. My health not very good also, sometimes feel numbness at my back and sometimes on my fingers but sometimes the numbness just disappear and then occasionally come back again, like playing hide-and-seek.

Agree on Dr Roly regarding the dietary advice.

Also one should be careful of inappropriate exercise or over-exercise. Yes exercise is healthy BUT if you do high impact exercise like jogging, it can wear down your joints.

Some of the "fitness classes" I attended, the mid-range exercises were quite punishing on the body and I can see that some joint problems, back/neck problems might be aggravated when trying to following these fitness classes as they are mostly designed for younger bodies.

For older persons (me included), we don't need such a vigorous regime to derive benefits, even a mild regime can being about improvement as long as it is done regularly. We can't push our bodies in the same way that youngsters can.

I had the BCA (body composition analysis done) at one of these fitness centres. Result was that I needed to lose 1kg of weight and put on 2kg of muscle. I thought tall order (on the muscle part). However I was surprised that without altering my diet (I eat a little meat, some fish, a lot of veg, moderate amount of carb) and adding one Pilates class a week (BASIC pilates mat work only) and half hour on most days of an arm muscle and leg muscle toning routine from youtube, I managed to achieve that. The rest of my exercise routine which I was already doing was: one and a half hours of gym once a week, 20 x 50m laps swimming once a week (alt breast stroke/freestyle) and one round of golf a week. I have a totally desk-bound job so I need the exercise. I also try to take the stairs at work when I can rather than the lift.

dr roly ... I am impressed with your understanding of how "lan" is our food court / fast food

perhaps you can study a bit ot TCM to have another perspective
    Ride at your own risk !!!

Hormonal changes and imbalances can cause hair to drop.

I, very jialat, seldom take vegetables but took a lot of titbits, especially when watching TV. This few days took a lot of durians + can drinks, never control my diet. My health not very good also, sometimes feel numbness at my back and sometimes on my fingers but sometimes the numbness just disappear and then occasionally come back again, like playing hide-and-seek.
    Your posture is important. While watching TV, working at the computer. You have to maintain a good spine position to minimise the strain on your spine bones. For me, I have a slightly crooked spine and I have to make a conscious effort to use my back muscles to "straighten" the spine when I sit so that the situation does not worsen.

Happiness should come from within and not so much from external elements. Eg. The intrinsic gratifications gained from doing good deeds, learning a useful skill or gaining wisdom is far superior than that the happiness u get from external materials like owning 5 houses and a few Mercedes Benz.

I would weigh mental health more important than physical health. I have seen 'successful' folks who have gained much material success, take v good care of their physical bodies, but with an unhappy mind and soul.

钻牛角尖,疑神疑鬼, 心胸狭窄. Those who share a lot are usually the happier ones and this indirectly translates to better physical health.

Quote Originally Posted by buttercarp
    After I improved my diet and gained back some weight, my hair condition improved.
    Then I found this shampoo for oily hair.
    I think the dieting led to imbalance of oil in my scalp and it became oily.
    I think I need to change my diet too. My habit is too terrible, sometimes just eat fruits for my lunch and take heavy tea breaks like char kuay teow or carrot cakes. According to my hairdresser, my scalp is oily but my hair is dry, so don't know what shampoo to use for mixed hair?

Quote Originally Posted by chiaberry
    Your posture is important. While watching TV, working at the computer. You have to maintain a good spine position to minimise the strain on your spine bones. For me, I have a slightly crooked spine and I have to make a conscious effort to use my back muscles to "straighten" the spine when I sit so that the situation does not worsen.
    Yeah ... When sitting, pls sit all the way in on the seat with your back fully supported. Many folks love to sit with only half of their butt on the seat which could be v straining for the lower back muscles ....

I am only in my early 30s but my spine is in a v bad shape. I can't jog or walk for too long anymore. Now slowly building up my back muscle strengths. So to all folks out there pls cherish your body and exercise well while u can

Agree on Dr Roly regarding the dietary advice.

Also one should be careful of inappropriate exercise or over-exercise. Yes exercise is healthy BUT if you do high impact exercise like jogging, it can wear down your joints.

Some of the "fitness classes" I attended, the mid-range exercises were quite punishing on the body and I can see that some joint problems, back/neck problems might be aggravated when trying to following these fitness classes as they are mostly designed for younger bodies.

For older persons (me included), we don't need such a vigorous regime to derive benefits, even a mild regime can being about improvement as long as it is done regularly. We can't push our bodies in the same way that youngsters can.

I had the BCA (body composition analysis done) at one of these fitness centres. Result was that I needed to lose 1kg of weight and put on 2kg of muscle. I thought tall order (on the muscle part). However I was surprised that without altering my diet (I eat a little meat, some fish, a lot of veg, moderate amount of carb) and adding one Pilates class a week (BASIC pilates mat work only) and half hour on most days of an arm muscle and leg muscle toning routine from youtube, I managed to achieve that. The rest of my exercise routine which I was already doing was: one and a half hours of gym once a week, 20 x 50m laps swimming once a week (alt breast stroke/freestyle) and one round of golf a week. I have a totally desk-bound job so I need the exercise. I also try to take the stairs at work when I can rather than the lift.
    Especially if you are woman >50 yrs old, do brisk walking, don't jog, that's what my friend told me.

I think I need to change my diet too. My habit is too terrible, sometimes just eat fruits for my lunch and take heavy tea breaks like char kuay teow or carrot cakes. According to my hairdresser, my scalp is oily but my hair is dry, so don't know what shampoo to use for mixed hair?
    I have the same problem! And worse I have itchy and sensitive scalp. I can't use shampoos off the supermarket shelves or Watsons.

For shampoo, I like the Purple Rose Shampoo from this Taiwan organic brand
    http://www.oright.com.tw/en/index.ht...ts/shampoo/p4/

Bought from one of my hairdressers in Kovan:
    http://www.organichairsalonsg.com/contact-us.html

For conditioner, I use another organic brand from my alternate hairdresser. I have 2 conditioners, one for oily hair and one for dry hair. I use them according to the current condition of my hair.

For shampoo, I like the Purple Rose Shampoo from this Taiwan organic brand
    http://www.oright.com.tw/en/index.ht...ts/shampoo/p4/

For conditioner, I use another organic brand from my alternate hairdresser. I have 2 conditioners, one for oily hair and one for dry hair. I use them according to the current condition of my hair.
    Where did you get the Purple Rose Shampoo, it looks very nice.

My hairdresser also told me to use the same method as yours, use different shampoo/conditioner base on current condition of the hair.

Currently, I'm using the Aloe Vera shampoo and conditioner, initially still ok, reduce my hair dropping, but don't know why, this few days, start to drop so much again.

Do you all ever experience, when the shampoo is not right for you, it can grow pimples on your scalp.
    Last edited by irisng; 30-12-12 at 21:26.

Pls lor, when I was young, I had too much hair I dunno where to comb it to... LOL

I used to try biolyn, it really helps thicken the hair and reduce oiliness plus encourage growth...

Then recent year I been using this kerasys... cheaper from korea but ok la... it sort of keeps the hair in good condition but now my diet lots of meat again the oil out of control again.... if I'm out for many hours in the open air my hair will become like kanasai.........

Currently, I'm using the Aloe Vera shampoo and conditioner, initially still ok, reduce my hair dropping, but don't know why, this few days, start to drop so much again.

Do you all ever experience, when the shampoo is not right for you, it can grow pimples on your scalp.
    Are you having hormonal changes?

If you haven't done so, go for full medical check up.

It is not normal for hair to drop a lot all of a sudden.

Pls lor, when I was young, I had too much hair I dunno where to comb it to... LOL

I used to try biolyn, it really helps thicken the hair and reduce oiliness plus encourage growth...

Then recent year I been using this kerasys... cheaper from korea but ok la... it sort of keeps the hair in good condition but now my diet lots of meat again the oil out of control again.... if I'm out for many hours in the open air my hair will become like kanasai.........
    Mine is like "sia-cha-bo" even without wind .