Thread: Unit view blocked - can buy and rent?

Default Unit view blocked - can buy and rent?

I have viewed a 2 bedder condo unit in District 9 with about 200 units.

The only concern I have is that the living room and master bedroom is almost completely blocked by another condo development - their living room is about 50 metres away. Only if one stands at the planter ledge of the living room or at the corner of the living room, then one can have pocket view of some scenery.

I am intending to rent the unit out. About 90% of the units are tenanted to caucasians and japanese. I would think tenant profile is mainly young couple with child.

1) Will it matter much to the tenant ? The other 2 bedder units in the condo
    face a construction site so for the time being my unit will be "quiet facing";

2) Will it affect the capital appreciation of the property? Currently the asking property price is about 3% psf below the last 2 bedder transacted values (which face a construction site);

I do not mind having a lower rental yield but more worried that it will be tough to sell it later on.

Please let me have your views.

If your buying price compensate for lack Of view, maybe.. Manage expectations, don't expect to sell higher than other units.

Btw it sounds like r 100..

First question to ask is can you afford to get a unit with better facing?

Personally I will not buy anything which I dont like because when comes to selling or renting psychologically you are already defeated during negotiation.

Plus not to mention frequent changing of tenants as they will always be looking for somewhere better to live.

I face similar situation before. I paid 70k more for an unblock view eventually.
    The view is priceless...

Interested tenants will negotiate with you for a lower rental in good times and get very viewing in bad times for this kind of unit. Advice to go for better units if you have the budget.
    Quote Originally Posted by sunny88

The only concern I have is that the living room and master bedroom is almost completely blocked by another condo development - their living room is about 50 metres away. Only if one stands at the planter ledge of the living room or at the corner of the living room, then one can have pocket view of some scenery.

I am intending to rent the unit out. About 90% of the units are tenanted to caucasians and japanese. I would think tenant profile is mainly young couple with child.

2) Will it affect the capital appreciation of the property? Currently the asking property price is about 3% psf below the last 2 bedder transacted values (which face a construction site);

I do not mind having a lower rental yield but more worried that it will be tough to sell it later on.

Assuming you have a unit with blocked view but in a superb location, and one with nice view but location less ideal than the first one. Both same size and asking for same amount.

If your intention of buying is for renting, which will you choose?

For me, I will go for the first one.

Deleted. Double posting.

The description of this place seems to be either near Plaza singapura/ mt sophia area.

It is increasingly hard to find a unit with unblocked views in D9. We are heading towards HKG kind of housing density in the city area.

While having a view is definitely a bonus, my experience with tenants in this area is that they are generally not too concerned about views otherwise they would be looking elsewhere to rent. They accept that deep city living has its compromises.

Potential buyers will also take that into consideration.

Having said that I am of the view that we should always buy something that we ourselves desire to live in. If not there will always be a negative mindset about your property.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by howgozit

Having said that I am of the view that we should always buy something that we ourselves desire to live in. If not there will always be a negative mindset about your property.
    Agree. I advise my colleague to buy something that he likes. He said he doesn't have to like it because it's not going to live in it

Buy things that you and your spouse really like and you can hold for a long time and even pass it on to your children as gift.
    Quote Originally Posted by evergreen
    Agree. I advise my colleague to buy something that he likes. He said he doesn't have to like it because it's not going to live in it

The only concern I have is that the living room and master bedroom is almost completely blocked by another condo development - their living room is about 50 metres away.
    50 metres is not too bad. Look at some of today's new development and you can literally spit into the next unit's window
    hungry eat sleepy sleep

Quote Originally Posted by DC33_2008
    Interested tenants will negotiate with you for a lower rental in good times and get very viewing in bad times for this kind of unit. Advice to go for better units if you have the budget.
    Paisei like to ask,
    But then I always hear people say, investment for rental, buy 2nd floor-no view also never mind as long as it is cheaper...
    Means this theory is flawed?

Thanks all for replies.

I have decided not to make an offer for the unit, since I was undecided.

Will hold out for a better unit in the development. Have the budget but it is case of no suitable units for sale at the moment. Agent said will look out for me.

Quote Originally Posted by taggy
    Paisei like to ask,
    But then I always hear people say, investment for rental, buy 2nd floor-no view also never mind as long as it is cheaper...
    Think the other way, tenants will not be willing to pay extra premium just for the view.

Also can think this way, i buy lower price, so i can charge lower rent, hence get my unit out faster. Landlord who pay extra for the view expect to charge higher rent due to the view, hence take longer to rent out the unit.

Quote Originally Posted by leesg123
    Think the other way, tenants will not be willing to pay extra premium just for the view.

Also can think this way, i buy lower price, so i can charge lower rent, hence get my unit out faster. Landlord who pay extra for the view expect to charge higher rent due to the view, hence take longer to rent out the unit.
    Units with better views will have a comparable advantage. In a down market, the unit with view will rent out first, before the unit without view.

Quote Originally Posted by sh
    Units with better views will have a comparable advantage. In a down market, the unit with view will rent out first, before the unit without view.
    True if both charging the same rent. On a down market, rental budget will be tighten. If the unit without view is bought cheaper and charge a rent lower by at least 10%, it is obvious which one will be rented out first.

No right or wrong in practice. It depends on your strategy.
    Quote Originally Posted by taggy
    Paisei like to ask,

Quote Originally Posted by DC33_2008
    No right or wrong in practice. It depends on your strategy.
    Of course, buy cheap, rent cheap. But if u do proper staging, can even rent high also.

if i'm desperate for a tenant in a really bad market, i will rent out the unit at whatever reasonable price, if it means matching the price of a unit with no view, so be it... better than leaving it vacant....

Just because the unit is 10% more expensive, does not mean that it to be leased out for 10% more. If that is the case, all rental properties in singapore with give the same yield.

if i'm desperate for a tenant in a really bad market, i will rent out the unit at whatever reasonable price, if it means matching the price of a unit with no view, so be it... better than leaving it vacant....

Just because the unit is 10% more expensive, does not mean that it to be leased out for 10% more. If that is the case, all rental properties in singapore with give the same yield.
    So will it lead to price war, undercutting each other?

Have come across a couple who view my unit on the 33rd floor with a view to the bay area. The wife does not dare to even walk near the balcony. But most of the other people who view it like it.

Quote Originally Posted by leesg123
    So will it lead to price war, undercutting each other?
    in a good rental market, I had tenants fighting for my unit.

the tide might turn... don't know when... but if it does, we will have landlords fighting for tenants... it's a free market....

There is always two sides to the arguments for those who buy good facing and those who choose bad facing. Don't think there is a right or wrong, it all boils down to personal preference, budget, the location, the project and goals of the purchase. Even units facing Bin centers directly or on same level of expressways get snapped up.

For own stay, think there are fewer arguments bec everyone would want the best if one can afford it.

For investment, some will go for the cheapest, which means the lowest floor and not so good facing, save money, however, the best facing and higher floors in a good project also get taken up by investors. Investment yield for better facing may argubaly be lower but capital appreciation likely higher. For poor facing, you buy low, you sell low, better facing you buy high, you sell high.

In the current super Bull market, don't think it makes much difference even if one gets a poor facing unit, just lower your price a bit, it will get taken up. But in a bear market when anything bad about the poor facing unit can get magnified manytimes, and when buyers and tenants have lots of choices, a poor facing unit relative to other units in the same project, esp in a poor project would get badly hit.

So would agree with some forumers here, if one can afford it and have choices, always better to go for better facing units (whether higher floor with views, no blockage, not facing MSCP, etc). That extra 50k, 100k or more may well be worth it in the long run.

I'm facing this problem too.
    1) My new apartment is about 3 cars length from the opposite apartments. There are 2 apartments opposite mine.
    2) On the right, I can see the swimming pool of the opposite right apartment
    3) On the left, I can see the swimming pool of the opposite left apartment
    4) In the centre, I can see the living room and master bedroom of one of the
    opposite apartment.
    Do I think I will have problem in renting out my unit?

2 pool view! Where to find?

Quote Originally Posted by irisng
    I'm facing this problem too.
    1) My new apartment is about 3 cars length from the opposite apartments. There are 2 apartments opposite mine.
    2) On the right, I can see the swimming pool of the opposite right apartment
    3) On the left, I can see the swimming pool of the opposite left apartment
    4) In the centre, I can see the living room and master bedroom of one of the
    opposite apartment.
    Do I think I will have problem in renting out my unit?
    Depends on your competitors. If their facings are worse off than yours, then you will be at advantage. I personally still think that for rentals, location is the no.1 factor, then next comes the facing and interior/furnishings etc

Quote Originally Posted by newbie11
    2 pool view! Where to find?
    Quote Originally Posted by zeamybro
    Depends on your competitors. If their facings are worse off than yours, then you will be at advantage. I personally still think that for rentals, location is the no.1 factor, then next comes the facing and interior/furnishings etc
    But my main door is facing East while my balcony is facing West which is the pool view. Hopefully, the apartment opposite mine will block some of the west sun.

Normally what type of furnishing we need to provide for the tenant?

Quote Originally Posted by irisng
    But my main door is facing East while my balcony is facing West which is the pool view. Hopefully, the apartment opposite mine will block some of the west sun.

Normally what type of furnishing we need to provide for the tenant?
    Depends on tenant profile and location. I would think angmohs in general like to have their own furniture while asians like it to be fully furnished. Smaller units I would think easier to rent out as fully furnished.

For partial furnish, its the usual white goods (fridge, washer/dryer), lightings and curtains. For fully furnish, will need to thorw in at least the bed, sofa and tv, and the list could go on and on ... dining set, bed side table, dvd player, microwave oven, recliner, wine chiller, dressing table (nego)