Page 6 of 47 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111621263136 ... LastLast

Thread: #1 Loft, 80 units, Geylang

I wonder will posting at Stomp help?

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Goi
    Your point?

If it's about the installation of CCTV, I can tell what's the point of having them when the monitoring is lacking?

I'm saying this because I can say with confidence that you will find one gambling den, at least being set up in front of the CCTV every weekend! On it's been going on for months at least!

Why are they back every weekend? Why aren't they using the so-called CCTV footage to investigate and make arrests? Brothel and gambling operators seem to continue with what they are doing with a peace of mind.

In short, my take is the authorities are not doing enough or should I say much!

Don't get me wrong, I'd like to see this place getting more liveable but there are no signs to tell us so; as for what we read in the press, discerning readers should know that nowadays, we should read with a pinch of salt, and in this case, a large pinch.

Quote Originally Posted by siewsphone
    I wonder will posting at Stomp help?
    Many of the videos and reports were posted there before, sadly most of the responses that we get are unsavory one, for example there are many branding residents as stupid for choosing to live there in the first place ...
    Help to propagate this! Everyone deserves a safer home!
    https://www.facebook.com/SaveJalanSuka

Many of the videos and reports were posted there before, sadly most of the responses that we get are unsavory one, for example there are many branding residents as stupid for choosing to live there in the first place ...
    Adam, no point complaining so much.. Nobody will help u unless we start taking action... Let's build the FENCING and GATES together....

Quote Originally Posted by rontan_83
    Adam, no point complaining so much.. Nobody will help u unless we start taking action... Let's build the FENCING and GATES together....
    Sigh, do you know what you're taking about? Who are we to build fencings and gates? Do you think you even have any control over who the developer sells the units to? Who your 'new neighbours' wish to rent to? The prostitutes and neighbours could jolly well become your neighbours, like what we're experiencing now!

As said, let's be clever about our approach. We need numbers. We need to make noise. This deep-seated will take time and for me, as long as it takes.

I sense your frustration. Can you imagine mine? I see this day in, day out for years! I have to face up to all the intimidations, bear the costs for installing the CCTV and storage and constantly worry about my safety as well as my loved ones'.

Come on, we're on the same side. Learn and take time to understand situation.
    Help to propagate this! Everyone deserves a safer home!
    https://www.facebook.com/SaveJalanSuka

its normal. even in this forum, whenever there is a new launch at geylang, they will make the usual remarks.

Sigh, do you know what you're taking about? Who are we to build fencings and gates? Do you think you even have any control over who the developer sells the units to? Who your 'new neighbours' wish to rent to? The prostitutes and neighbours could jolly well become your neighbours, like what we're experiencing now!

As said, let's be clever about our approach. We need numbers. We need to make noise. This deep-seated will take time and for me, as long as it takes.

I sense your frustration. Can you imagine mine? I see this day in, day out for years! I have to face up to all the intimidations, bear the costs for installing the CCTV and storage and constantly worry about my safety as well as my loved ones'.

Come on, we're on the same side. Learn and take time to understand situation.
    http://forums.condosingapore.com/showthread.php?t=17290

there is hope...if there is will....the mm hopefully will drive the gentrification process....unless the mm itself turns into brothel....

in fact with your street in the vicinity of city, marina, sports hub, mrt stations, top schools, i am sure the gentrification is starting....the only issue is the brothel licence and that is where the commissioner comes in....if he is taking action that is fine. I heard they are doing soemthing....there is only a few such licence in lorang 28-30....and this are going away???

if developer see value in redeveloping the place, banks are willing to lend....u know the gentification is starting.,...
    Last edited by JAFCO; 28-03-13 at 11:43.

MM stands for? Please advise

Micky mouse which means shoebox small apartments fit for micky mouse.

MM stands for? Please advise

called the development office directly. the staff told me they hope to complete by end of 2016. He also provided some comments on the project which I wont get from the agents.

Hi babyt, such a small project ... Why they need 4 years to complete the construction works? This kind of project, 1 to 1.5 years, can be completed.... Mind to share with us on what you hv heard from the developer ? Thanks.

Hi babyt, such a small project ... Why they need 4 years to complete the construction works? This kind of project, 1 to 1.5 years, can be completed.... Mind to share with us on what you hv heard from the developer ? Thanks.

IMHO, they have to give some allowance for unforseen circumstances. Normally, they will try to complete before the TOP. From some of the projects that I come across, it has completed 1 to 2 yrs earlier.

Like your project, they have not even started the tearing down of the building yet and foundation also take longer times, once foundation is ready, the rest will be quite fast already.
    Last edited by irisng; 29-03-13 at 13:10.

Anyone with regret buying this property now that there are cheaper 99 years ones in Pasir Ris and Sengkang ?

We have got nothing to regret...I prefer to live near city ...

Quote Originally Posted by SQ008
    Anyone with regret buying this property now that there are cheaper 99 years ones in Pasir Ris and Sengkang ?
    Why should they regret?
    Can't use it to compare with pasir ris n sengkang.
    It is fh n nearer to the city.
    Those who bought this have different requirements than those who bought in the heartlands.
    One has to be confident with one's buy.
    Although in future there may be so called better development, imho, just be happy with your decision n do not look back.

Quote Originally Posted by buttercarp
    Why should they regret?
    Can't use it to compare with pasir ris n sengkang.
    It is fh n nearer to the city.
    Those who bought this have different requirements than those who bought in the heartlands.
    One has to be confident with one's buy.
    Although in future there may be so called better development, imho, just be happy with your decision n do not look back.

Precisely Buttercarp, this is my sentiments too. I would rather buy into Geylang FH than Pasir Ris 99.

this is a funny question. Given that there are far cheaper ones in JB shouldn't we regret even more?
    I am rich in debts...

FH over 99.... Anytime....

Quote Originally Posted by mantrix
    this is a funny question. Given that there are far cheaper ones in JB shouldn't we regret even more?
    Agree - a friend was boosting how she can bought two 3 storey at iskanda and asked if i regret having spent the same amount on a one bedroom apartment

Agree - a friend was boosting how she can bought two 3 storey at iskanda and asked if i regret having spent the same amount on a one bedroom apartment
    wait till one day she find another family squatting at her third floor! u ask your fren is her life worth iskandar price or sg price.

I was very tempted to buy a 3 bedder here.

I did not think the price was that cheap (as you can find cheaper units in those other even lorang's as well). However, the developers offer of paying 10% cash for downpayment was very attractive.

Plus I really liked the layout of the space. It really felt like living in a mansionette (1 room and attach bath downstairs, 2 rooms with attached baths separately upstairs).

I was almost thinking of signing on the dotted line... Then I decided to investigate.

I called the banks and asked them for a loan, no banks decided to offer me anything. Only finance companies at much higher interest rates were interested. So I asked myself...in future, if I decided to sell the unit, how will buyers buy if no bank is willing to offer them a loan? Will they be willing to take a loan from a finance company and foot the higher interest?

Then I took a walk down lorong 24...That was an eye opener. I told myself that once all the condos are up, it will be much better...But I realize that the red light district is too close, and the sellers and buyers who are involved in the trade will surely use lorong 24, if not for business, then at least to get to the other sites. And also, l think it will not be uncommon for future owners of the condos to rent out their units to the people who are in the trade.

I am single right now, and have no family. But I think that in future when I do decide to settle down, I do not think I want my wife and kids to mingle with the rest of the crowd over there just to get home. It is really an issue.

I therefore decided to stay away.

But to those who have bought, congrats. It is FH, near to the city and with easy access to public transport.

But it is a gamble as to how the place will turn out 10 years from now. For me, the red light district have remained untouched for too long. The government could have easily redeveloped it, yet they left it as is. I do not think it will be easy to move the red light district anywhere else (especially to the suburbs!) Then again, they could decide to revamp the whole area, and your gamble would have paid off.

I am not a gambler unfortunately, so I have to stay away.

It is sad as the only thing comparable are 99yrs in suburbs such as the far east or north east. But I guess I want to play safe for now (as it is my first property)

I passed by Lor 24 at around 11am+ this morning. Still the same, no sign of tearing down the buildings yet. On the left side stood lots of men and on the right side with lots of those ladies. One thing good about it is those ladies just stood there without harrassing the men or passerby. Just hope that with more and more apartments coming up, Lor 24 can have a big change. Wonder whether will the developers enbloc the right side of Lor 24 also. Lor 24 & Lor 24A is really a big contrast, if only Lor 24 can be like Lor 24A one of this days, it will be good.

your assessment is correct.

I am tempted to get a unit for investment too as it can be easily rented to the people in the trade. the monthly rent is way cheaper than renting a hotel rm for a month, definitely a good rental choice. I can forsee that owners who dont stay there, most likely will be renting to the prc mei mei.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mu

I did not think the price was that cheap (as you can find cheaper units in those other even lorang's as well). However, the developers offer of paying 10% cash for downpayment was very attractive.

Plus I really liked the layout of the space. It really felt like living in a mansionette (1 room and attach bath downstairs, 2 rooms with attached baths separately upstairs).

I was almost thinking of signing on the dotted line... Then I decided to investigate.

I called the banks and asked them for a loan, no banks decided to offer me anything. Only finance companies at much higher interest rates were interested. So I asked myself...in future, if I decided to sell the unit, how will buyers buy if no bank is willing to offer them a loan? Will they be willing to take a loan from a finance company and foot the higher interest?

Then I took a walk down lorong 24...That was an eye opener. I told myself that once all the condos are up, it will be much better...But I realize that the red light district is too close, and the sellers and buyers who are involved in the trade will surely use lorong 24, if not for business, then at least to get to the other sites. And also, l think it will not be uncommon for future owners of the condos to rent out their units to the people who are in the trade.

I am single right now, and have no family. But I think that in future when I do decide to settle down, I do not think I want my wife and kids to mingle with the rest of the crowd over there just to get home. It is really an issue.

But to those who have bought, congrats. It is FH, near to the city and with easy access to public transport.

But it is a gamble as to how the place will turn out 10 years from now. For me, the red light district have remained untouched for too long. The government could have easily redeveloped it, yet they left it as is. I do not think it will be easy to move the red light district anywhere else (especially to the suburbs!) Then again, they could decide to revamp the whole area, and your gamble would have paid off.

It is sad as the only thing comparable are 99yrs in suburbs such as the far east or north east. But I guess I want to play safe for now (as it is my first property)

Different people have different requirements.
    If you think you will get married in the near future, then staying there with your family is likely to be out of the question.
    However if you have enough money and are willing to take the gamble that the red light district may be gradually replaced with new developments, then go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by irisng
    I passed by Lor 24 at around 11am+ this morning. Still the same, no sign of tearing down the buildings yet. On the left side stood lots of men and on the right side with lots of those ladies. One thing good about it is those ladies just stood there without harrassing the men or passerby. Just hope that with more and more apartments coming up, Lor 24 can have a big change. Wonder whether will the developers enbloc the right side of Lor 24 also. Lor 24 & Lor 24A is really a big contrast, if only Lor 24 can be like Lor 24A one of this days, it will be good.
    I agree with you sis that there is a vast difference between Lorongs 24 and 24A.

Lorong 24 is scary.
    Lorong 24A has conservation houses and the price for that type of houses is really exorbitant, especially those which are well renovated.

...But it is a gamble as to how the place will turn out 10 years from now. For me, the red light district have remained untouched for too long. The government could have easily redeveloped it, yet they left it as is. I do not think it will be easy to move the red light district anywhere else (especially to the suburbs!) ....
    You're right. The authority's position all along appears to be one of containment rather than eradication. History has proven you cannot eradicate vice activities so long as there are men and women around. If you hit the areas too hard, vice will only spread all over the island and contaminate otherwise "clean" areas. In addition, these activities will go "underground", spreading STD and creating social problems in an uncontrolled way. The authorities have made a conscious decision to allow the operations of brothels thru licensing and registration of women in the trade in order to contain and control the situation.

For Geylang, vice activities have evolved and grown "naturally" alongside the growth of the nation. There is "silent" understanding that this area is a red-light area without the authorities explicitly stating so. To do so would put the authorities in an awkward position of endorsing immoral activities.

Hence here we are today, debating whether the process of gentrification will free Geylang from the shackles of vice that it found itself today. Adam Goi is facing an uphill though admirable effort to eradicate vice in Jalan Suka. But Jalan Suka is connected to Lorong 24, which is connected to Geylang Road which is connected to Lorong 24A, which is connected to....etc. So where do the authorities draw the line. If you hit Lorong Suka hard, will it spread to Lorong 24A? And if you hit Lor 24A, will it scatter to a few other previously "clean" areas or even go "underground? And then what?

For property investment, the mantra is "location, location and location". As a corollary to this, bear in mind that for controlling vice activities, the mantra appears to be "containment, containment and containment". Put these together and you can draw your own conclusion on how the tide will turn for Lorong 24 in 10 years time.
    hungry eat sleepy sleep

Hi bro and sis here,

What is the rental rate for one loft ?just the estimated figure will do..

Hi bro and sis here,

What is the rental rate for one loft ?just the estimated figure will do..
    CASA AERATA LORONG 26 GEYLANG 14 Non-landed Properties 2 $2,800 400 to 500 Jan-13
    CASA AERATA LORONG 26 GEYLANG 14 Non-landed Properties 3 $4,000 900 to 1000 Jan-13
    CASA AERATA LORONG 26 GEYLANG 14 Non-landed Properties na* $3,100 500 to 600 Dec-12
    CASA AERATA LORONG 26 GEYLANG 14 Non-landed Properties na* $4,100 900 to 1000 Dec-12
    CASA AERATA LORONG 26 GEYLANG 14 Non-landed Properties na* $2,700 500 to 600 Dec-12
    CASA AERATA LORONG 26 GEYLANG 14 Non-landed Properties na* $2,700 400 to 500 Dec-12

[quote=leesg123] I can forsee that owners who dont stay there, most likely will be renting to the prc mei mei.[/quote]

Not exactly. I have a friend who stay in Geylang too. Just met him the other day, he told me that most of the tenants there are ang moh and he thought of renting out his place too because he can fetch about $3k for the rental.

yes. my fren stays at casa aerata. the tenants no way are whores.

if u look at previous threads of other geylang developments, usually ppl will say the same old jokes about geylang....very boring. everytime 1 new dev for geylang come out, its the same remarks.

Quote Originally Posted by babyt
    yes. my fren stays at casa aerata. the tenants no way are whores.

if u look at previous threads of other geylang developments, usually ppl will say the same old jokes about geylang....very boring. everytime 1 new dev for geylang come out, its the same remarks.
    Not so bad now. The very first time when someone posted a thread about the investment in Geylang, there were lots of negative responses but now it proved that they were wrong, prices have gone up by xx times. The only set back is the vice, if only vice can be relocated, then everything will be fine given the location and the food stalls.

Say difficult to relocate the vice, then in the 1st place, how they shift the vice from Desker Road to here? How long they take to plan? Vice have occupied Geylang for too long already, is time for them to change home liow.

just like keong saik street ma....now upmarket already.