Thread: Iphone GPS

Default Iphone GPS

Which Iphone App can use GPS functions without using data?

Any advice would be welcome. Thanks

When is the right time to buy my next property?

the iphone GPS does not use data.. however you do need the data to download the map.

This means, even when you are overseas and you do not have data, the GPS function still works because you can see on the map the blue dot will appear and it will correspond with your location as you move..

however if the overseas map is not preloaded in your iphone before hand, you will not be able to see the map and everything will be just grey background and the blue dot..

Unfortunately, i do not know an offline map function (app) that has GPS capability as well.. hope this clarifies.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricade
    the iphone GPS does not use data.. however you do need the data to download the map.

This means, even when you are overseas and you do not have data, the GPS function still works because you can see on the map the blue dot will appear and it will correspond with your location as you move..

however if the overseas map is not preloaded in your iphone before hand, you will not be able to see the map and everything will be just grey background and the blue dot..

Unfortunately, i do not know an offline map function (app) that has GPS capability as well.. hope this clarifies.

Thanks for your sharing.
    My friend drives to Malaysia and he uses iphone’s GPS to find the direction, within Johor area and pre loaded map, he ended up need to pay S$70/- plus for data usage. That the reason I suspect GPS need data usage while travelling.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FREDDIE
    Thanks for your sharing.
    My friend drives to Malaysia and he uses iphone’s GPS to find the direction, within Johor area and pre loaded map, he ended up need to pay S$70/- plus for data usage. That the reason I suspect GPS need data usage while travelling.

Thanks
    I think singtel got some fixed data plan for overseas something like $15 per day for unlimited surfing.

Quote Originally Posted by buttercarp
    I think singtel got some fixed data plan for overseas something like $15 per day for unlimited surfing.
    Depends on where you're going. In Europe and us, you can download navfree for free... Maps are downloaded. You have to locate the places u want to go where there's wifi beforehand and save them as favorites.

Not in Asia yet.

Which one he use? If he off data roaming how to access Internet in Malaysia?

Thanks for your sharing.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by felicia_sg
    Which one he use? If he off data roaming how to access Internet in Malaysia?
    He never off data roaming, that why data cost incured.

Quote Originally Posted by sh
    Depends on where you're going. In Europe and us, you can download navfree for free... Maps are downloaded. You have to locate the places u want to go where there's wifi beforehand and save them as favorites.

Not in Asia yet.

Thanks for sharing.

Also used nav4d in Thailand. Not free but quite cheap, abt $4 for 3 months. Cheaper than renting GPS from car rental company. There are versions for other Asian countries.

No data required... Not very user friendly but ok...

Problem is that it does not account for traffic in big cities, estimated timing is way way off....

He never off data roaming, that why data cost incured.
    If his data roaming is not turned off than the cost incurred may not necesarily be due to GPS usage.

Quote Originally Posted by sh

Not in Asia yet.
    For Android devices, you can download the Navigator Free app. Whole world database of maps for free downloadable anywhere.