Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: PES & Roof Terrace to be treated as GFA

Quote Originally Posted by august
    good for hanging out laundry and drying salted fish ~
    If there is no shade in the RT, hanging your laundry there will damage the colour.

Quote Originally Posted by kane
    I find roof terrace a little hard to enjoy in our climate. Half of the year it is cooking hot.
    Angmos will love baking.

One of my PH neighbours have a multigym right at the roof terrace. Free demo for the taller hdb blocks residents right next to it...

so only can dry salted fish then...

Quote Originally Posted by mcmlxxvi
    Angmos will love baking.

One of my PH neighbours have a multigym right at the roof terrace. Free demo for the taller hdb blocks residents right next to it...
    The gym equipment is weather proof?

Quote Originally Posted by kane
    so only can dry salted fish then...
    Saw the news in HK lately about people drying sharks fin... This one more lucrative.

My PES has a roof over it. Don't think I can install binds

Quote Originally Posted by buttercarp
    By right, if you cover up fully after you get mcst aproval, you have to pay ura cos you have increased the GFA. That was previously.

So now the new projects will have the RT counted in as GFA, does that mean the existing projects with RT will be considered GFA and if the owner builds a room there, he will not incur any extra charges?
    That should count towards bonus GFA rather than GFA. Bonus GFA can be sheltered but not covered up like a room.

Quote Originally Posted by Cupcakes
    My PES has a roof over it. Don't think I can install binds

Why cannot install blinds?

Roof terrace is a very nice thing to have. I'm surprised to see so many negative comments here.
    I have seen wonderful gardens , landscaping made out of it. One of them featured in home an decor magazine.
    I have also seen ang mo partying on it, very nice party under the stars.
    One even do outdoor screening of movies.

Quote Originally Posted by willow
    Why cannot install blinds?
    Thought not allow to? Anyone knows?

Quote Originally Posted by amk
    Roof terrace is a very nice thing to have. I'm surprised to see so many negative comments here.
    I have seen wonderful gardens , landscaping made out of it. One of them featured in home an decor magazine.
    I have also seen ang mo partying on it, very nice party under the stars.
    One even do outdoor screening of movies.
    Yes, I like too. Best if comes with jaccuzzi, BBQ pit, koi pond. Shiok ar!

Quote Originally Posted by Cupcakes
    Thought not allow to? Anyone knows?
    Should be allowed... was reading some BCA guidelines yesterday. Said that as long as temporary i.e. retractable, will be allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by silver023
    Should be allowed... was reading some BCA guidelines yesterday. Said that as long as temporary i.e. retractable, will be allowed.
    ok cool. Then i can install binds and sun bathe at my PES

Quote Originally Posted by silver023
    Now can have full covers over the entire PES.
    But developers need not cover the whole thing.

http://www.ura.gov.sg/circulars/text/dc13-01app1.pdf

a. Full covers over the entire PES can be allowed. To avoid ad-hoc coverings of PES by individual owners downstream that could mar the appearance of the development, PES covers are to be designed upfront to be well integrated with the overall design of the development and approved as part of the development application process. Developers can propose a single cover design, or a few designs for the buyers to choose from.

b. However, developers will not need to install the entire cover. They will only need to install a covering of 2m in width from the external wall before selling the units, to ensure that basic protection from killer litter is provided. Homeowners will be given the flexibility and choice over the remaining cover for the rest of the PES, as long as it is one of the pre-approved designs. MCSTs can also use these pre-approved designs to guide homeowners who wish to extend their cover beyond the 2m.

a. Full covers over the entire PES can be allowed. To avoid ad-hoc coverings of PES by individual owners downstream that could mar the appearance of the development, PES covers are to be designed upfront to be well integrated with the overall design of the development and approved as part of the development application process. Developers can propose a single cover design, or a few designs for the buyers to choose from.

b. However, developers will not need to install the entire cover. They will only need to install a covering of 2m in width from the external wall before selling the units, to ensure that basic protection from killer litter is provided. Homeowners will be given the flexibility and choice over the remaining cover for the rest of the PES, as long as it is one of the pre-approved designs. MCSTs can also use these pre-approved designs to guide homeowners who wish to extend their cover beyond the 2m.

Does it apply to the old development too?

The covers must be designed upfront by developer.. individual owner still cannot modify it.

It shld be retrosepctively applied to the older developments, it's silly to have 2 sets of rules.
    树大必有枯枝,人多必有白痴。
    树无皮必死无疑,人不要脸天下无敌!

so means that my binds must be done by designer lor else ikea binds cannot be used.

No, if plot ratio already max. Possible if plot ratio not yet max, but need URA approval. Best write in to URA to clarify, if in doubt.

If just blinds, no issue, usually just get your MCST to approve (older condos may not even need approval).

If cover up roof terrace for 'old' condos, need URA approval unless you only install retractable awning or shelter not more than 2m from edge of building.

Quote Originally Posted by leftfield
    It shld be retrosepctively applied to the older developments, it's silly to have 2 sets of rules.
    Think you have to read the guidelines carefully:

All PES and private roof terraces within flat and condominium developments, including executive condominiums, will now be computed as GFA. To qualify under the bonus GFA, capped at 10% beyond the Master Plan allowable GPR, they will need to comply with the following guidelines.

For new developments, all PES+RT+ balconies can only be included in the 10% bonus GFA. If they want to go beyond the 10%, they have to pay DC.

For existing developments, the balconies would have already used up all the available 10% bonus GFA since the PES+RT were so called 'free', hence URA may not allow PES+RT to be covered in existing developments.

Quote Originally Posted by proper-t
    Think you have to read the guidelines carefully:

For new developments, all PES+RT+ balconies can only be included in the 10% bonus GFA. If they want to go beyond the 10%, they have to pay DC.

For existing developments, the balconies would have already used up all the available 10% bonus GFA since the PES+RT were so called 'free', hence URA may not allow PES+RT to be covered in existing developments.

like i said

it depends on the kind of cover ...
    as long as it is not enclosed ... it does not change the GFA ..MCST shud approve ...

but the design must also not be an eye sore lah ...

Quote Originally Posted by proud owner
    like i said

it depends on the kind of cover ...
    as long as it is not enclosed ... it does not change the GFA ..MCST shud approve ...

but the design must also not be an eye sore lah ...
    Under the old rules, the cover can only extend 2m from the wall (see quote from URA site below). . Anything beyond that is considered as additional GFA.

With the new rules, they allow full cover PROVIDED the PES+RT+Balconies do not exceed 10%, so my gut feel is that if your development has already used up the 10% bonus for balconies, it is unlikely they will grant approval for FULL cover of the PES as it is counted as additional GFA. You can still build a cover upto 2m tho'

(q) Private Enclosed Space (PES)
    A "Private Enclosed Space" refers to a private outdoor area adjacent to a strata unit. It is intended to be an open uncovered space, with its extent defined by low fencing or wall to be owned by the adjacent strata unit owner for use as a private garden. There is no control on the material for the enclosure or fencing that defines extent of the PES. However, the PES enclosure or fencing must not exceed 1m in height to ensure that PES retains an open and outdoor character as shown in Figure 5.

PES that is protected by a cover up to 2m in depth measured from the external wall not computed as part of the overall gross floor area of a development. The subsequent covering of the PES beyond 2m in depth will generate additional GFA and requires planning permission. Submissions for additions and alterations within a strata unit which involve an increase in gross floor area are subject to the provisions in the Building Maintenance and Strata Management Act.

Default Covering PES/RT costs

Does anybody know how much the developmental charges will be like to cover a PES or RT?

It may be worthwhile for a homeowner of current properties with RTs/PESs to consider applying to do so. In land scarce Singapore, every bit of space is worth converting for a more useful purpose.

How does one go about doing it? What are the obstacles and costs?

Would appreciate if anybody with experience in this to share.

Thank you in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by howgozit
    Does anybody know how much the developmental charges will be like to cover a PES or RT?

It may be worthwhile for a homeowner of current properties with RTs/PESs to consider applying to do so. In land scarce Singapore, every bit of space is worth converting for a more useful purpose.

How does one go about doing it? What are the obstacles and costs?

Would appreciate if anybody with experience in this to share.

Thank you in advance.
    This might help. It depends on geographical area and unit type. Condos are B2.
    http://www.ura.gov.sg/dc/Development%20Charge.htm

The rates are reviewed every six months.

Quote Originally Posted by fclim
    This might help. It depends on geographical area and unit type. Condos are B2.
    http://www.ura.gov.sg/dc/Development%20Charge.htm

The rates are reviewed every six months.

Great! Thanks a lot.

Looking at the table, the psm developmental charges are not that high. Only thousands of dollars per sqm. For example, in East Coast (sector95) it only costs $4200/sqm in developmental charges.

This means that a PES or RTof 3-400sqft will cost less than $150,000 to develop. Add renovation costs of up to $50,000. Two extra rooms can be created with $200k.

Great! Thanks a lot.

Looking at the table, the psm developmental charges are not that high. Only thousands of dollars per sqm. For example, in East Coast (sector95) it only costs $4200/sqm in developmental charges.

This means that a PES or RTof 3-400sqft will cost less than $150,000 to develop. Add renovation costs of up to $50,000. Two extra rooms can be created with $200k.
    There are more challenges than just paying DC. You also have to get the approval of your MC (some of them are very sticky about the eternal facades) and planning permission from BCA. PLUS, with a larger GFA, your MC may also increase your unit's share value which may mean higher maintenance charges.

Quote Originally Posted by proper-t
    There are more challenges than just paying DC. You also have to get the approval of your MC (some of them are very sticky about the eternal facades) and planning permission from BCA. PLUS, with a larger GFA, your MC may also increase your unit's share value which may mean higher maintenance charges.
    Yep.......

So how??

Do what everybody else is doing....... just quietly build and don't offend your neighbours l guess

Haha... it is actually quite rampant.

Yep.......

So how??

Do what everybody else is doing....... just quietly build and don't offend your neighbours l guess

Haha... it is actually quite rampant.

Great! Thanks a lot.

if the GFA has already been fully utilised ...you can forget about it ... paying DC also no use ... simply not allowed

so PC TOPed between 2005-2012 almost fully utilised their GFA ...if yours is much much older ...10-30 yr old PC ..then still got chance that the GFA was never fully used