Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Punggol East Election Discussion Thread

Default Punggol East Election Discussion Thread

I never understood what is the purpose of Kenneth J and Desmond Lim joining in the election. Each of them seem to have their own agenda. It would be nice to see just WP going head on against PAP. I hope those who voted for PAP before and are unhappy now would simply cast their votes to one of the other 3 parties and those who voted for WP last time would continue to vote for WP now. IMO, RP and SDA will get less than 5000 votes in total.

Quote Originally Posted by Regulators
    I never understood what is the purpose of Kenneth J and Desmond Lim joining in the election. Each of them seem to have their own agenda. It would be nice to see just WP going head on against PAP. I hope those who voted for PAP before and are unhappy now would simply cast their votes to one of the other 3 parties and those who voted for WP last time would continue to vote for WP now. IMO, RP and SDA will get less than 5000 votes in total.
    How about those who voted for WP before and are unhappy?

waste of time for KJ, and DL. maybe seeking for attention, be popular for once
    make it worse to diversify votes into 3 shares, against pap..

Quote Originally Posted by Allthepies
    Without the WP, you think we can see so many changes in PAP ?
    To make money we lose our health,
    and then to restore our health we lose our money.
    We live as if we are never going to die,
    and we Die as if we never lived.........

Those who voted WP before but did not see their party voted in will want to make sure they get in this time. Many who voted lightning in will be dissappointed and change their votes. Why would they do that you may ask? Punggol East made up of many young adults and are a less tolerant generation.

With DL's performance in punggol last time round, i am wondering how come he still dare to run in this election. If anyone is voting for him, it could just be sympathy votes. As for KJ, he has the brains and all, but i must say his party agenda is too tall an order for most singaporeans to accept at this point. I think WP is playing their cards right, they do not oppose the government for no rhyme or reason, they have shown to play an important complementary role and a good check on how policies are passed.

Quote Originally Posted by jwong71

Those who voted WP before but did not see their party voted in will want to make sure they get in this time. Many who voted lightning in will be dissappointed and change their votes. Why would they do that you may ask? Punggol East made up of many young adults and are a less tolerant generation.
    Tat sad sad.

As I have mentioned before, Singaporeans shouldn't be distracted by "exciting" speeches. Must always think for the greater good of the nation and future generations. Voting opposition MP to "monitor" the ruling party is simply wasting resources and seats which can be used to train future ministers, minister of states etc. A fine foreign affair minister George Yeo and minister of state were kicked out just for opposition MP to squat there? You either replace all PAP MP with WP or you don't. Singapore cannot be crippled and immobilized by a divided parliament.

Two party system doesn't work as you can clearly see from the American system. They can survive so long because of their military might and money printers. Singaporeans must remember we have none of the above.

If you against PAP's policy, you expect LKY to speak up for you in parliament?

You should think for the greater good of all singaporeans and not just pappy supporters who make up only 50-60% of singapore (with numbers shrinking by the election)

Tat sad sad.

As I have mentioned before, Singaporeans shouldn't be distracted by "exciting" speeches. Must always think for the greater good of the nation and future generations. Voting opposition MP to "monitor" the ruling party is simply wasting resources and seats which can be used to train future ministers, minister of states etc. A fine foreign affair minister George Yeo and minister of state were kicked out just for opposition MP to squat there? You either replace all PAP MP with WP or you don't. Singapore cannot be crippled and immobilized by a divided parliament.

Two party system doesn't work as you can clearly see from the American system. They can survive so long because of their military might and money printers. Singaporeans must remember we have none of the above.

Look at the crowd in WP's rally!

Tat sad sad.

PAP losing a single seat in ponggol will lead to the above? That's a slippery slope logic. And George yeo was never anywhere near fine or outstanding, though u may disagree.

I can see which camp you belong...

Tat sad sad.

Do you think WP is wasting the seats in parliament? Well, if it wasn't for WP, do you really think PAP will be pushed to implement so much and do so much? (If you say PAP hasn't done much, then all the more PAP should not stay... lol) George Yeo was the unfortunate tiger which was sacrificed to facilitate such a political system.

One thing I do agree that PAP is better than WP. When WP Yaw got an affair, PAP sent their speaker of parliament to do the same...

My gut feel is this Friday may have some big goodies announcement to sway the voters. May the best woman win!

Ha ha I better rest my case. Too many people in one camp here just like in so many other forums. All PAP achievement has been credited by WP being voted into parliament, very flawed logic. Good luck Singapore.

Ha ha I better rest my case. Too many people in one camp here just like in so many other forums. All PAP achievement has been credited by WP being voted into parliament, very flawed logic. Good luck Singapore.
    well, i am sure that ministerial pay would never been cut if not for voters' voicing their displeasure.

i am also sure that issues like AIM-gate would never see the light of day had not the opposition take over running of town councils.

on the note of AIM-gate, more worms crawling out of the can

http://www.tremeritus.com/2013/01/22...-aim-for-140k/

Generally, in most countries, supporter of ruling party usually is about a third, support of opposition is also about a third, the last third is the fence sitter.

The last third will be the group which all will try to convince.

Those thirds on both side, even send monkey they also vote for monkey, they are the so call die hard supporter.

The middle third will vote based on their current situation or after hearing out what each has to offer and what they have done since last election.

Quote Originally Posted by CondoInterested
    Generally, in most countries, supporter of ruling party usually is about a third, support of opposition is also about a third, the last third is the fence sitter.

The last third will be the group which all will try to convince.

Those thirds on both side, even send monkey they also vote for monkey, they are the so call die hard supporter.

The middle third will vote based on their current situation or after hearing out what each has to offer and what they have done since last election.
    agree on this one.

on the PAP die hards, the base line is very clear. civil servants, GLCs, most businessmen, etc. the support i believe is at 40%.

the oppo die hards, i think maybe about 20%.

so we are left with 40% fence sitters.

Many opposition supporters wanted to see more opposition members in the parliament. Deep down, they also want PAP to remain as ruling party.

It somehow adds some pressure to the ruling party. So far it is a healthy competition. Everyone knows WP is not ready to take over the government.

Without PAP winning majority seats in the election u think your properties and those who bought shares will huat big big? Shares market will crash and property prices will crash if WP win majority seats. Investors' confidence will gone and investors will panic. Stupid changes doesn't affect much, just that more cooling measures to keep price down with existant of WP.

Quote Originally Posted by star
    Without PAP winning majority seats in the election u think your properties and those who bought shares will huat big big? Shares market will crash and property prices will crash if WP win majority seats. Investors' confidence will gone and investors will panic. Stupid changes doesn't affect much, just that more cooling measures to keep price down with existant of WP.
    wah piang, another groundless assumption
    might as well say PAP can cure HIV and cancer.

did hawkers go out of business in aljunied GRC when WP won? i don't recall HDB prices in that ward heading south

God gave you brains, use them

I believe all SC want the best for our country. No one is out to topple PAP. We just want an alternate voice in parliament.

To me, the best scenario is to have slightly (i repeat slightly) less than 2/3 PAP MPs and slightly (i repeat again slightly) more than 1/3 WP or opposition MPs. Only in this configuration that any lousy policy can be stopped for further and more true debates and not automatically went thru so fast after some wayang debate like what's happening today.
    Visit and "Like us" at our Sea Esta Facebook Page to get the latest updates on Sea Esta right from your Facebook News Feed!

Quote Originally Posted by eng81157

did hawkers go out of business in aljunied GRC when WP won? i don't recall HDB prices in that ward heading south

Yalor

Bro i agree with you that those were groundless assumption

that without PAP everything crashes....then how,

if LKY pass on................World Ended ?

Anyway

another detrimental news to the incumbent

http://www.tremeritus.com/2013/01/22...-aim-for-140k/

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Esta
    I believe all SC want the best for our country. No one is out to topple PAP. We just want an alternate voice in parliament.

To me, the best scenario is to have slightly (i repeat slightly) less than 2/3 PAP MPs and slightly (i repeat again slightly) more than 1/3 WP or opposition MPs. Only in this configuration that any lousy policy can be stopped for further and more true debates and not automatically went thru so fast after some wayang debate like what's happening today.
    problem is there is no one that can control this "slightly".. if it blows out of proportion (in either direction), it may spiral downwards. no easy answer. but the GRC system shld keep our MIW in majority power for some time to come, but kept in check by good oppo like WP. it is a win-win situation.

Without PAP winning majority seats u think your properties and shares market will go up? Investors' confidence will crash and they will panic. Property will crash and stock market here will crash. U think u still can depend on rental to retire?? Likely foreigners go away to Malaysia to set up companies, malaysia low cost and rental and the chinese there are hardworkng.

Workers party will bring u more cooling measures, job lost, and property crash.
    When that happened u likely to lose Singapore as an attractive place for investors.

Quote Originally Posted by Shanhz
    problem is there is no one that can control this "slightly".. if it blows out of proportion (in either direction), it may spiral downwards. no easy answer. but the GRC system shld keep our MIW in majority power for some time to come, but kept in check by good oppo like WP. it is a win-win situation.

I agreed with the control of this "slightly" is hard.
    Visit and "Like us" at our Sea Esta Facebook Page to get the latest updates on Sea Esta right from your Facebook News Feed!

Quote Originally Posted by star
    Without PAP winning majority seats u think your properties and shares market will go up? Investors' confidence will crash and they will panic. Property will crash and stock market here will crash. U think u still can depend on rental to retire?? Likely foreigners go away to Malaysia to set up companies, malaysia low cost and rental and the chinese there are hardworkng.

Workers party will bring u more cooling measures, job lost, and property crash.
    When that happened u likely to lose Singapore as an attractive place for investors.
    As long there is stability in policies, investors' confidence will not be shaken. At the rate you're going, why don't you say out from PAP will come forth the saviour of the world?

Nutjob.......

Bro, i saying majority seats. If u don't believe we will see. Downfall of Singapore in the making.

As long there is stability in policies, investors' confidence will not be shaken. At the rate you're going, why don't you say out from PAP will come forth the saviour of the world?

Nutjob.......
    The problem is investors don't think that way. WP got politics uncertainty to investors. Will WP chase out foreigners, will WP stop importing foreigners, do they have the idea of future development?? Can they substain growth?
    There are too much risk and uncertainty. Let me ask u how to control 2/3 seats win?? If grow out of proportion it will be WP winning marjority.