Thread: Any correlation between % of foreign buyers in a development and the perceived value?

Default Any correlation between % of foreign buyers in a development and the perceived value?

Was wondering why some development has more foreign interest than others, even next to one another.....

Are foreigners more discriminating to the price/value ratio?

Quote Originally Posted by dare2
    Was wondering why some development has more foreign interest than others, even next to one another.....

in 2030 all will belong to foreigners so might as well prepare...can disregard the foreign factor...
    In the final analysis.....its NOT whether you have a diploma,degree,masters OR PHD....its whether you have a HDB/PC/EC or LANDED...

Actually I think it's the opposite, higher proportion of foreigner = lower value.

Because they are less familiar than the locals...

Which is why I'm still sticking to local properties. No guts and not familiar with foreign buys... But latest CM might change things...

Quote Originally Posted by sh
    Actually I think it's the opposite, higher proportion of foreigner = lower value.

Because they are less familiar than the locals...

Which is why I'm still sticking to local properties. No guts and not familiar with foreign buys... But latest CM might change things...
    ....Tanjung Rhu is full of foreigners....is it lower in value?
    Last edited by dare2; 30-01-13 at 20:17.

Don't know, never considered the area... Mainly because they're leasehold (20yrs gone liow) around the bay, the FH ones are far from amenities....

My point is that no one should know Singapore better than Singaporeans... So we should have a relative advantage. Foreigners tend to stick to areas they are familiar with (ie city/tourist areas)...

You have answered your own question

Quote Originally Posted by howgozit
    You have answered your own question
    ......have I?

Depends... Foreigners from which country?

Sentosa many foreigner too.... Got to see the source of these foreigner.

i think a uniform assessment of this will not be appropriate - depends also on which district you might be looking at. I can imagine that a foreign mix will be desirable for prime districts like orchard etc but that for heartland outskirts it will be better for more local mix. Foreign mix in local hearland developments are typically ... for lack of a better word ... less desirable and rowdy?

Quote Originally Posted by danguard
    i think a uniform assessment of this will not be appropriate - depends also on which district you might be looking at. I can imagine that a foreign mix will be desirable for prime districts like orchard etc but that for heartland outskirts it will be better for more local mix. Foreign mix in local hearland developments are typically ... for lack of a better word ... less desirable and rowdy?
    Yup. Perceived value is very subjective. A case in point would be how many non-resident indians (NRIs) buy into the Meyer area, even at elevated prices, because they enjoy the environment there. This drives up capital values in the area.

Locals, on the other hand, may avoid the neighbourhood simply because of how 'foreign' it feels sometimes, which moderates interest in the area.

There is definitely a correlation between foreigners and the perceived value in a development; the question is which of the factors happens to have more influence to a particular buyer, and at a specific point in time.

......have I?
    I think so...

it can sometimes be enclave theory. 1 bring in 2, 2 bring in 4, then it just gets the multiplier effect. same thing happening in our workplace isit it?

talking abt that, i heard that there is an over-concentration of a certain race/nationality in orchid park condo. and they bot it for a certain reason (coz it's cheap).

so you also have to see which condo you r talking abt. sometimes it is becoz of atas-factor. sometimes is other less desirable factors.

Quote Originally Posted by Shanhz
    it can sometimes be enclave theory. 1 bring in 2, 2 bring in 4, then it just gets the multiplier effect. same thing happening in our workplace isit it?

talking abt that, i heard that there is an over-concentration of a certain race/nationality in orchid park condo. and they bot it for a certain reason (coz it's cheap).

so you also have to see which condo you r talking abt. sometimes it is becoz of atas-factor. sometimes is other less desirable factors.
    ...so it depends on the class/type of foreign interest?

...so it depends on the class/type of foreign interest?
    yes. you really have to go to the ground to find out more. like if i'm not wrong, the anchorage area shld be jap enclave.