Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to tell my tenant off

Default How to tell my tenant off

My this new tenant after moving in for past 4 months, has been making requests here and there which have have acceded. Now still want me to install hot water in wash area for his maid....quite demanding right, after all, this is not make known in the first place. How do I reject him once and for all. Ah advice?

If u dont wish to have a direct clash with the tenant, Ask your agent to tell him that these are additional requests not listed in the tenancy agreement. And you are not agreeable to the installation, even if its done at the tenant's own costs.

The TA is there to protect both parties...

Quote Originally Posted by Werther
    My this new tenant after moving in for past 4 months, has been making requests here and there which have have acceded. Now still want me to install hot water in wash area for his maid....quite demanding right, after all, this is not make known in the first place. How do I reject him once and for all. Ah advice?
    use the TA, request not accepted. they want hot water than get a water tub, pour boiled water in it and mix it with cold water, then they can have warm water. primary school science they also don't know?? lol.

Just tell him whatever is to be provided for him is in the T&C, any additional features should be at his own cost. In fact, even if he wants to install, he needs to have your permission, i dont know why u r aceding to his request so easily, unless of course he is paying u good rental and u are just being obliging

Ya lor, I thnk I have been too obliging. There is no agent as they came direct while i was renovating. I think next time must get an agent and pay agent fee so as to tell them off. Now is I don want to spoilt the relationship but is like getting worse.

Can I chase them off?

You can't, so just politely decline.

Thanks Kane. They also have been very politely request for those items, so I feel paiseh to reject them. But this is getting out of hand...

I feel like asking them to move out but I don't know how to put it across.

Don't get too close with your tenants....

Just politely decline, or you can counter propose asking them to install at their own costs. I guess they will get the drift.. Best is you don't hear from them till the end of yr contract.

Quote Originally Posted by zeamybro

Just politely decline, or you can counter propose asking them to install at their own costs. I guess they will get the drift.. Best is you don't hear from them till the end of yr contract.
    the amount of alterations to the carpentry would make it a big project.

just do the polite thing and say that request cannot be accomodated and propose a water tub to mix the water. if they turn nasty, then you know they were pretending to be polite in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by kane
    the amount of alterations to the carpentry would make it a big project.

just do the polite thing and say that request cannot be accomodated and propose a water tub to mix the water. if they turn nasty, then you know they were pretending to be polite in the first place.
    Ya the idea of asking them to install at their own costs is somehow trying to ask them to kill off that idea..

Best is to cut off the request short and sweet and avoid too much dingdongs here and there

good points. failing which:
    1. tell them you will be busy next many months, and to call someone you designate.
    2. be blunt... "actually i am very busy and cannot attend to all your requests beyond our original aggreements. hope you understand and appreciate all my past efforts. thank you."

if you don't mind me asking, what kind of property is being rented and what kind of rental is ur tenant paying so i can tell you whether u should spend that extra to install the heater.

Ya lor, I thnk I have been too obliging. There is no agent as they came direct while i was renovating. I think next time must get an agent and pay agent fee so as to tell them off. Now is I don want to spoilt the relationship but is like getting worse.

Can I chase them off?

Quote Originally Posted by Regulators
    if you don't mind me asking, what kind of property is being rented and what kind of rental is ur tenant paying so i can tell you whether u should spend that extra to install the heater.
    Yah lor.... why need to install a heater for the maid?..

is he showering with the maid?

Can I chase them off?
    you are reluctant to reject their request and what make you chase them off. ?

You need to stand on your position if it is a no, and just politely but firmly decline their request. First time is difficuit to tell, but aft a few try you will get use to it.

Thanks Kane. They also have been very politely request for those items, so I feel paiseh to reject them. But this is getting out of hand...

I feel like asking them to move out but I don't know how to put it across.
    btw, have you put up a tenant agreement and signed by both ?

Can I chase them off?
    It becomes difficult if emotions and feelings are involved. I also experience the same thing. My tenant owe up to 1 or 2 months rent and begged me to give more time... If I no feeling and go by book, I'd have changed tenants. Well, like what some people said, get your agent to talk to your tenant...

Quote Originally Posted by ysyap
    It becomes difficult if emotions and feelings are involved. I also experience the same thing. My tenant owe up to 1 or 2 months rent and begged me to give more time... If I no feeling and go by book, I'd have changed tenants. Well, like what some people said, get your agent to talk to your tenant...
    i gave me tenant 1 month notice after he dragged my rental for 2-3 months.

That is why I engage an agent to handle the rentals. Even though I can save a lot of $$$ by doing it myself, but I can't stand having to deal direct with tenants.

I think the nicest landlord i ever seen is East-Lover sis...

She bought her tenant pillows, blankets and a carpet when she visited him during the 1st week and found out he didnt have any of these ....

If you have any friends wanting to rent a unit, quick look for her

Quote Originally Posted by chiaberry
    That is why I engage an agent to handle the rentals. Even though I can save a lot of $$$ by doing it myself, but I can't stand having to deal direct with tenants.
    if the $$$ go to the agent is less than 1% of your rental income, it is worth the outsourcing.
    I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference.” - Robert Frost quotes (American poet, 1874-1963)

Quote Originally Posted by roly8
    if the $$$ go to the agent is less than 1% of your rental income, it is worth the outsourcing.
    Its one month commission for a 2-yr tenancy, plus GST it should be around 10% of the rental income?

Can I chase them off?
    yes, u can but have to be mutual and in writing.

Its one month commission for a 2-yr tenancy, plus GST it should be around 10% of the rental income?
    One divided by 24. It's around 4 to 5%.

The hassle saved is worth it to me. Advertising, screening tenants, showing tenants around, drawing up the agreements, chasing tenants for $$$ (some tenants need chasing several times during the period for late payment), dealing with tenants complaints/requests/breakdown of appliances, checking the inventory before and after the tenancy.

One divided by 24. It's around 4 to 5%.

The hassle saved is worth it to me. Advertising, screening tenants, showing tenants around, drawing up the agreements, chasing tenants for $$$ (some tenants need chasing several times during the period for late payment), dealing with tenants complaints/requests/breakdown of appliances, checking the inventory before and after the tenancy.
    Sis paiseh, my maths failed big time...

Ya, i agree such money cannot save one ... best to have an agent as a middleman to handle the paperworks and sticky issues

Hi all
    Thanks for all yr kind advice.

I do use agent but in this case, he came directly to us so I thought why not...really, must get a agent in between to communicate with tenant, otherwise if not handled properly, can be stressful.

Now sending email to them to reject their request.

It is not a good idea to rent to friends, acquaintances, friends of friends, relatives, relatives of relatives. Don't mix business with friendship or kinship. You tend to cut corners in such instances and this could lead to misunderstandings and sour the relationship.

It is not a good idea to rent to friends, acquaintances, friends of friends, relatives, relatives of relatives. Don't mix business with friendship or kinship. You tend to cut corners in such instances and this could lead to misunderstandings and sour the relationship.
    I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference.” - Robert Frost quotes (American poet, 1874-1963)

I think the nicest landlord i ever seen is East-Lover sis...

She bought her tenant pillows, blankets and a carpet when she visited him during the 1st week and found out he didnt have any of these ....

If you have any friends wanting to rent a unit, quick look for her
    my bro, thank you!

My suggestion is to say that can install, but depreciated monthly cost (e.g. divide by 36 months) will have to be charged to the tenant. That should scare most of them off.

Quote Originally Posted by ysyap
    ysyap, this really bring to my mind of the recent DK unit where many looking forward to rent out the small unit while staying in the bigger unit.

Personally, I find it too close to comfort for both owner and tenant. I always imagine if you constantly hear knocking, scratching sound from your rented unit, how owner will feel? Ouch... for my case.

So I personally rent out and let agent handles everything, ignorance is bliss in this case.