Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windy Heights

Default Windy Heights

I am considering to purchase WIndy Heights for own stay. Any updates on Enblock potential for Windy Heights? $1000 psf looks attractive, for a freehold apt with 200 owners. Went for 2 viewings last week, spacious and well maintained. TIA

why pay 1k psf when prices have not surpassed that figure?

Windy Heights is a VERY OLD condo...TOP 1978

I rather you donate the money to me or charity

windy heights was formerly known as cheng hong mansion. in the 80s, it was discovered that some of the blocks were in real danger of collapse, and the residents were evacauated

that's coming right after hotel new world collapse, so you can imagine the panic.

that's one of the reason why it's been cheapish for many many years. but then to be fair, they probably overcompensated when they reinforced the whole structure, so it will probably be the last building standing in SG

apartments are really spacious, but anything that faces PIE will be a nightmare. I still dont know how people do it...

Dear All who responded, I wish to thank you.

My ultimate aim is to make money from the Enbloc (hopefully, eventually). So being old development, less units (200 only), freehold and well maintained, i should be able to live long enough to see the enbloc. Otherwise i will leave it to my next generation. I have seen the lower floor units, facing the PIE, the noise is still bearable.

If more residences cannot tahan the noise, then the chances of enbloc will be higher.

The current asking price for Windy Heights is about $1K psf, thus i think there is still lots of potential gain.
    Last edited by VS; 13-02-13 at 09:47.

Then you have to pray hard that the enbloc will only take place 4yrs after your purchase, otherwise you will still kena the ssd...

No offense, but why would anyone buy a condo that looks like (worse than) a HDB.

Quote Originally Posted by mcmlxxvi
    No offense, but why would anyone buy a condo that looks like (worse than) a HDB.
    Cheap (compared to HDB in Kembangan) , big (2400sf) and freehold (enbloc potential). Anyway, i dont qualify to buy HDB now. It is true, that the outlook looks like old HDB and HUDC (eg Laguna Park), probably thats why it is cheaper than the newer freehold condos around that area.

you should take a look at the inside. typical unit will have 4 huge squarish bed rooms, 3 of which are ensuite, and 1 huge squarish living room. No HS, planters, bay window nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by smellyfish
    you should take a look at the inside. typical unit will have 4 huge squarish bed rooms, 3 of which are ensuite, and 1 huge squarish living room. No HS, planters, bay window nonsense.
    Thanks. This is what i like about the interior, practical.

Quote Originally Posted by DuaNehNehChioBu
    Windy Heights is a VERY OLD condo...TOP 1978

I rather you donate the money to me or charity
    The condo is old, but the freehold land worth some money, right? The interior can be renovated. The exterior of the building was newly painted, last year.

Quote Originally Posted by smellyfish
    I like floor to ceiling windows, which these older condos do not have.

Quote Originally Posted by august
    I seen the units at Sims Ville, with floor to ceiling windows. Looks nice from outside. But from the inside, the windows looked bad, when dirty (eg after rain+dust)

Quote Originally Posted by august
    I'm not sure I like this. Difficult to maintain (cannot clean the outside). Not so safe (for young kids - although you say tempered glass but that can break too - it happened in our home luckily is a ground floor window). Can get hot (even with solar film) because it makes your home like a greenhouse effect.

Past year transactions range from 731psf to 929psf... you can judge whether 1kpsf asking is reasonable or not...

Anyway, I may be wrong, but dont think developers would be keen to enbloc that area. Far from MRT and amenities but v close to PIE..

WINDY HEIGHTS JALAN DAUD Condominium 1 2,300,000 2,476 Strata 929 Dec-12
    WINDY HEIGHTS JALAN DAUD Condominium 1 2,280,000 2,476 Strata 921 Dec-12
    WINDY HEIGHTS JALAN DAUD Condominium 1 2,190,000 2,476 Strata 885 Sep-12
    WINDY HEIGHTS JALAN DAUD Condominium 1 3,758,888 4,973 Strata 756 Jul-12
    WINDY HEIGHTS JALAN DAUD Condominium 1 2,250,000 2,476 Strata 909 Jul-12
    WINDY HEIGHTS JALAN DAUD Condominium 1 2,118,000 2,476 Strata 856 May-12
    WINDY HEIGHTS JALAN DAUD Condominium 1 1,810,000 2,476 Strata 731 Mar-12
    WINDY HEIGHTS JALAN DAUD Condominium 1 1,940,000 2,476 Strata 784 Feb-12
    WINDY HEIGHTS JALAN DAUD Condominium 1 1,980,000 2,476 Strata 800 Feb-12

Quote Originally Posted by VS
    The condo is old, but the freehold land worth some money, right? The interior can be renovated. The exterior of the building was newly painted, last year.
    If you keen on en bloc, another project to consider is Kembangan Plaza. Right opposite the MRT. Mixed devt (has shops). The large units are HUGE with little wasted space. And not so long ago selling for 800+ psf. But ambience less pleasant than this Windy Heights.

Lightbulb

Thanks. This is what i like about the interior, practical.
    I would say you are too impatience. There are condo that is also similar layout .

I agree with the above member. This is FAR WORSE than a HDB.

Just look at some HDB at punggol area you will notice it is so much DIFFERENCE.

Surprisingly VS is going for a ANTIQUE Condo

lol

Pratical but worthless and ugly. If any day my Mood is bad, i would think TWICE before going back to that UGLY condo home...

Quote Originally Posted by chiaberry
    If you keen on en bloc, another project to consider is Kembangan Plaza. Right opposite the MRT. Mixed devt (has shops). The large units are HUGE with little wasted space. And not so long ago selling for 800+ psf. But ambience less pleasant than this Windy Heights.
    I think parking at Kembangan Plaza will be a problem. I am also looking at Astoria Park for investment/rental. Just next to MRT, but got to find good facing, ie no MRT noise no afternoon sun.

Quote Originally Posted by buttercarp
    Penthouse in Windy Heights is huge (4800+sq ft). One unit was sold at $1M during the crisis time. Now $3M+, not worth it. Renovation alone will kill me.

Quote Originally Posted by zeamybro
    Past year transactions range from 731psf to 929psf... you can judge whether 1kpsf asking is reasonable or not...

Anyway, I may be wrong, but dont think developers would be keen to enbloc that area. Far from MRT and amenities but v close to PIE..

WINDY HEIGHTS JALAN DAUD Condominium 1 2,300,000 2,476 Strata 929 Dec-12
    WINDY HEIGHTS JALAN DAUD Condominium 1 2,280,000 2,476 Strata 921 Dec-12
    WINDY HEIGHTS JALAN DAUD Condominium 1 2,190,000 2,476 Strata 885 Sep-12
    WINDY HEIGHTS JALAN DAUD Condominium 1 3,758,888 4,973 Strata 756 Jul-12
    WINDY HEIGHTS JALAN DAUD Condominium 1 2,250,000 2,476 Strata 909 Jul-12
    WINDY HEIGHTS JALAN DAUD Condominium 1 2,118,000 2,476 Strata 856 May-12
    WINDY HEIGHTS JALAN DAUD Condominium 1 1,810,000 2,476 Strata 731 Mar-12
    WINDY HEIGHTS JALAN DAUD Condominium 1 1,940,000 2,476 Strata 784 Feb-12
    WINDY HEIGHTS JALAN DAUD Condominium 1 1,980,000 2,476 Strata 800 Feb-12
    Thank you. I will squeeze the seller, if i confirm buying.

I see from the Master Plan 2008, the building height of Kembangan Plaza is limited to 5 floors only. Difficult to enbloc, even though their plot ratio is high (3.0).

Personally I think the appetite of developers for en bloc these days is not great. So you could wait long-long. And this devt is not really near MRT station, somemore is near PIE.

One annoying problem with older buildings is water leakage. It could leak all the way down from any number of floors above you. And diagnosing the cause / source of the leak can be tricky. Especially if the units above are tenanted out and the tenant/landlord is not co-operative in assisting with the investigations.

Trust me. I have experience of it. One of my tenanted units (not even as old as Windy Heights) has a leak that is originating from 3 floors up. All 3 units above have re-done their water-proofing but there is still some leakage.

If you can put up with the maintenance problems that come with older property, then by all means go ahead. The amount of space looks good and the grounds fairly well maintained.

I see from the Master Plan 2008, the building height of Kembangan Plaza is limited to 5 floors only. Difficult to enbloc, even though their plot ratio is high (3.0).
    Plot ratio is high.

Wait for Master Plan 2013 and check again.

The commercial space could be the attraction of this devt. There are quite a number of new devts around the MRT. If they really can build to plot ratio 3.0, will be able to huat.

You should be in no hurry. The ABSD means that your competition for these older properties is limited. And you should be able to squeeze the sellers.

Personally I think the appetite of developers for en bloc these days is not great. So you could wait long-long. And this devt is not really near MRT station, somemore is near PIE.

One annoying problem with older buildings is water leakage. It could leak all the way down from any number of floors above you. And diagnosing the cause / source of the leak can be tricky. Especially if the units above are tenanted out and the tenant/landlord is not co-operative in assisting with the investigations.

Trust me. I have experience of it. One of my tenanted units (not even as old as Windy Heights) has a leak that is originating from 3 floors up. All 3 units above have re-done their water-proofing but there is still some leakage.

If you can put up with the maintenance problems that come with older property, then by all means go ahead. The amount of space looks good and the grounds fairly well maintained.

Thank you for your advice. I heard Pandan Valley's water proofing is quite bad, esp for corner units. Almost bought that few years ago, until being told of the water leaking problem.

What about escada view? How do you all find this development?

Quote Originally Posted by xtreme_46
    What about escada view? How do you all find this development?
    Walking from MRT up slope to Escada is quite taxing, and the entire path way is not shelthered. You really need a car to stay there. Personnally I dont like the developer, and you can see their typical common corridor design.

Thank you for your advice. I heard Pandan Valley's water proofing is quite bad, esp for corner units. Almost bought that few years ago, until being told of the water leaking problem.
    pandan valley has a very serious mould problem....clothes, bags all turned mouldy...kids fall sick more often as well

Plot ratio is high.

Wait for Master Plan 2013 and check again.

The commercial space could be the attraction of this devt. There are quite a number of new devts around the MRT. If they really can build to plot ratio 3.0, will be able to huat.

You should be in no hurry. The ABSD means that your competition for these older properties is limited. And you should be able to squeeze the sellers.

to VS :

you shuld buy only becos you love the space not the enbloc potential

there are many who bought other projects with enbloc in mind and ended up holding for 10 over years ...

i am not sure about the water seepage issue ...but for old projects..

when u do the renovation you might want to RE WIRE the entire unit ... the wirings enbedded in the walls / ceiling can be so old the short circuit frequently when theres lightnings ... also i really dont know if the are working properly

so do take this into consideration when bargaining ...

Quote Originally Posted by DuaNehNehChioBu
    I would say you are too impatience. There are condo that is also similar layout .

I agree with the above member. This is FAR WORSE than a HDB.

Just look at some HDB at punggol area you will notice it is so much DIFFERENCE.

Surprisingly VS is going for a ANTIQUE Condo

lol

Pratical but worthless and ugly. If any day my Mood is bad, i would think TWICE before going back to that UGLY condo home...
    Reckon what u said doesn't make sense !
    Can u get other much newer fh condos of this size (2450sq ft) at this price(900+ psf)?
    How can u compare a hdb @ punggol with this project windy heights?
    Windy heights was constructed in 1977 when punggol was still a pigs farm area!
    Talking about facing PIE, the project slightly further down the road " vacanza " is a sold out project ...