Page 1 of 9 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Landed Property - Going Forward (2013)

Default Landed Property - Going Forward (2013)

Hi ...

Long time follower of this forum. Genuinely enjoy the information from all of you.

How do gurus here see landed prices short/medium term after CM7 ?

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by thomaspaine
    Hi ...

Long time follower of this forum. Genuinely enjoy the information from all of you.

Thank you
    If most landed owners are buying for own consumptions then shouldn't affect too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Allthepies
    If most landed owners are buying for own consumptions then shouldn't affect too much.
    Thanks ....

prior to CM7 ...landed was really changing hands at new highs (almost everywhere) ...which is worrying ....

I guess CM7 is a good doze of medicine ....

Landed was the last to jump in price during the last bull run. Condo sellers need to have money before buying landed.

It will also be the last to fall when the price corrects. When condo prices drops... then faster sell landed.

If condo prices dun drop... how will landed drop since there is so much new condo supply from government but virtually no more new landed (Especially FH ones)

singapore got NO gold mine only landed property...if u think price of gold will go up then so will landed...
    In the final analysis.....its NOT whether you have a diploma,degree,masters OR PHD....its whether you have a HDB/PC/EC or LANDED...

Question

Hi ...

Thank you
    In terms of supply of freehold landed - very little fresh supply coming on-stream in the forseeable near or long term.

In terms of demand - no. of singapore citizens expected to increase from 3.2m to 3.6/3.6m by 2030.

With govt internding to increase intake of new citizens by 25K pa from now until 2030, what do you think will be the first priority of these new citizens once they make SG their home?

No need to be a rocket scientist to figure this one out

Former Turf Club will have new landed development but not cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by wind30
    Landed was the last to jump in price during the last bull run. Condo sellers need to have money before buying landed.

It will also be the last to fall when the price corrects. When condo prices drops... then faster sell landed.

If condo prices dun drop... how will landed drop since there is so much new condo supply from government but virtually no more new landed (Especially FH ones)
    I dont see any evidence of that in the URA price index.

http://www.ura.gov.sg/pr/graphics/2013/pr13-06a7.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by DC33_2008
    Former Turf Club will have new landed development but not cheap.
    99 yr leasehold at best

Quote Originally Posted by equalizer
    In terms of supply of freehold landed - very little fresh supply coming on-stream in the forseeable near or long term.

In terms of demand - no. of singapore citizens expected to increase from 3.2m to 3.6/3.6m by 2030.

With govt internding to increase intake of new citizens by 25K pa from now until 2030, what do you think will be the first priority of these new citizens once they make SG their home?

Thanks......

Your point did cross my mind ...but you put it succintly

Does it mean that landed property has risen to a level that it has gotten out of reach for local born and bred Singapore and we need to depends on rich foreign immigrants to buy up our landed property?

Quote Originally Posted by Ringo33
    Does it mean that landed property has risen to a level that it has gotten out of reach for local born and bred Singapore and we need to depends on rich foreign immigrants to buy up our landed property?
    You still don't get it. Immigration policy is key to the govt which is why they have to gone to such great lengths to discuss and pass the paper. Owning a HDB/landed is a privilege accorded only to citizens. If they want to attract more new citizens onto our shore, they must provide an incentive for them to take up citizenship. Housing would be the first priority to any newcomer in a foreign country.

Politically, I don't think they will want to mess with the current state of affairs in regard to landed as it only forms a very small percentage of the entire housing market. In fact, high networth immigrants bringing their capital, expertise and even their entire family operations onto our shores would probably be their preferred candidates. Why would the govt want to discourage them if they want to spend more money here? Besides, there are already absd/ssd restrictions which also applies to landed so why would they specifically target such a small segment?
    Last edited by equalizer; 15-02-13 at 10:11.

Thanks......

Your point did cross my mind ...but you put it succintly
    You are welcome. The next step of course would be to map out your strategy before the influx of immigrants start.

Singaporeans are rich too as someone in my neighbourhood paid cash for his house. Another detached was purchased by someone saying in the opposite detached. In my friend's neighbourhood, her neighbour bought the next door detached and all these buyers are Singaporeans and not new citizens.

Quote Originally Posted by moneytalk
    Singaporeans are rich too as someone in my neighbourhood paid cash for his house. Another detached was purchased by someone saying in the opposite detached. In my friend's neighbourhood, her neighbour bought the next door detached and all these buyers are Singaporeans and not new citizens.
    Yes, your neighbours are very savvy as they have seen the writing on the wall which is now cast in stone with the passing of the white paper.

You still don't get it. Immigration policy is key to the govt which is why they have to gone to such great lengths to discuss and pass the paper. Owning a HDB/landed is a privilege accorded only to citizens. If they want to attract more new citizens onto our shore, they must provide an incentive for them to take up citizenship. Housing would be the first priority to any newcomer in a foreign country.

Politically, I don't think they will want to mess with the current state of affairs in regard to landed as it only forms a very small percentage of the entire housing market. In fact, high networth immigrants bringing their capital, expertise and even their entire family operations onto our shores would probably be their preferred candidates. Why would the govt want to discourage them if they want to spend more money here? Besides, there are already absd/ssd restrictions which also applies to landed so why would they specifically target such a small segment?
    again you are speculating the economic contribution of the new citizen coming to Singapore. Which new citizen do you have in mind that has brought about huge economic contribution to Singapore?

landed owner segment is indeed small, but I wont dare say the land area they occupied is not significant.

Not sure where you are coming from but maybe u can share more why are you so concern?? If they can afford then let them buy, nothing wrong with that...don't forget that this segment is not for mass market. What makes u think that they will go thru the trouble to revise policy to control such a small segment?

again you are speculating the economic contribution of the new citizen coming to Singapore. Which new citizen do you have in mind that has brought about huge economic contribution to Singapore?

landed owner segment is indeed small, but I wont dare say the land area they occupied is not significant.

Don't jump to conclusion, it is more of a preference I believe.
    Ppl are willing to pay EC over 2mil, but anytime, u can get landed much bigger in size and at lower cost. So what do u think? Reserve landed and wait for this ppl to buy??

Do you have actual statistics on the no. of landed as well as actual land size owned by these new SC? If not, it is at most a speculation?

Thanks ....

prior to CM7 ...landed was really changing hands at new highs (almost everywhere) ...which is worrying ....

I guess CM7 is a good doze of medicine ....
    You should take a hard look at the latest landed caveats lodged after CM7. Its the first time I see $2.5k land psf outside D9,D10,D11. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by bullman
    Do you have actual statistics on the no. of landed as well as actual land size owned by these new SC? If not, it is at most a speculation?
    From what I gather from landed property owner here, they are all saying that new SC will push up landed property prices. I guess they cant be all wrong or they are just being naive?

You are welcome. The next step of course would be to map out your strategy before the influx of immigrants start.
    Noted....but...

1. Many new landed (semiDs) are priced above 1800psf (some as high as 2200psf) ... landed is a long term play ...but how high can it go in say 5y/10y horizon ?

2. Of coz, if we follow HKG development - then Spore landed is still 'cheap' , I guess ?

Just got this ....

Sample size abit small tho .
    Here it goes .....

GONG XI FA CAI & thank you for participating in the survey which I sent out on the 8th February. What is more interesting is the fact that I noticed a certain pattern in the groups of people who responded differently. Please note that this survey is NOT based on the market as a whole & rather the landed properties in the prime district (Bt Timah & Holland vicinity) or otherwise known as the Central Core Region (CCR). These are also based on those who responded from a list of 595 receivers. Findings as follows:

45.92% felt that prices will stabalized & a large number from this group are people from the financial industry. A fair balance between the sellers & the buyers group as well as the end-user & investor group.

27.46% felt prices will decline & the majority comprises of buyers; mostly those who owned more than 1 property & sellers, who have already sold their landed property. Few are 1st time-buyer who are buying a landed home for own stay. A fair bit of businessman/ self-employed & investors in this group. Off the record, we brokered an intermediate terrace (average condition) at Namly Place for S$2223 PSF on the 3rd day after the 7th cooling measure was implemented. That is a benchmark for a similar condition terrace house in the same vicinity.

26.62% felt that prices will rise & again we have a fair balance in this group who are sellers as well as buyers. One common agreement everyone in this group has is the fact that the “white paper” issue (6.9 million in 2030) is almost a guarantee that those who owned land will benefit the most out of it. The ABSD is not a factor which will deter their buying decision BUT they see more potential in certain selected districts. For them, holding the landed properties as a long-term investment is their objective. They see the increase in new citizens or SPRs with LDAU approval to buy landed as one of the main reason to the increase in pricing.

I think you will be sorely disappointed. Our policy makers look at the big picture and our population problem is overriding. They admit citizens based on what they assess to be their future contributions. Whether it pans out is an educated 'bet' they are taking. Its like drilling for oil wells. They only need to strike a few big ones. They won't waste their time and effort to monitor the economic contribution of each and every new citizen.

They have mass housing problems to deal with. The landed segment will be the last segment they will look at given that it houses such a small percentage of the total population. Furthermore, why will they want to set policies which run counter to their white paper and make it unattractive to potential new citizens.

You should channel all your angst and frustration into more productive activities rather than griping here in this forum that the govt has not reserved a lovely piece of landed for you at a cheap price

I think you will be sorely disappointed. Our policy makers look at the big picture and our population problem is overriding. They admit citizens based on what they assess to be their future contributions. Whether it pans out is an educated 'bet' they are taking. Its like drilling for oil wells. They only need to strike a few big ones. They won't waste their time and effort to monitor the economic contribution of each and every new citizen.

They have mass housing problems to deal with. The landed segment will be the last segment they will look at given that it houses such a small percentage of the total population. Furthermore, why will they want to set policies which run counter to their white paper and make it unattractive to potential new citizens.

You should channel all your angst and frustration into more productive activities rather than griping here in this forum that the govt has not reserved a lovely piece of landed for you at a cheap price
    as long as new singaporeans remain minority in this country, it will make sense for government to tweak the policy to favor Singaporean sons (who served NS) and daughters who are born and bred in Singapore rather than some rich foreigners who take up citizenship for the sake of preserving wealth and security for their family.

Ultimately it is the people who will have the final say in how this country should be run instead politicians, billionaire or millionaire.

Here is a classic example of how some rich Indonesian could come to Singapore and scope up GCB without much contribution to Singapore economy.
    http://www.asiaone.com/Business/My%2...13-339518.html

Like I said, you still don't get it. Its all about the long term. These new citizens will become old citizens in due course and have children who will be citizens by birth right, then what happens?

Yes, its about the people and the voters who count. Do you really think the policy makers are going to worry about some tiny squeak on the landed segment when they are being bombarded by loudspeakers daily on public housing and transport issues? Its all about what they think are key voter issues and contrary to what you believe, its not about some poor SG citizen who is being 'robbed' of his perceived rightful entitlement to a landed property in SG.

You are still young (33/34 going by yr nick?). Your efforts to demonise the landed segment already border on the extreme to such an extent that people here are wary of your 'cry wolf' syndrome. Don't waste your energy ranting here. Spend it productively making more $ to afford your dream home otherwise you will end up disillusioned, bitter and blaming everybody else (rich foreigners, govt etc) for depriving you of what you think is due to you.
    Last edited by equalizer; 15-02-13 at 23:04.

Like I said, you still don't get it. Its all about the long term. These new citizens will become old citizens in due course and have children who will be citizens by birth right, then what happens?

Yes, its about the people and the voters who count. Do you really think the policy makers are going to worry about some tiny squeak on the landed segment when they are being bombarded by loudspeakers daily on public housing and transport issues? Its all about what they think are key voter issues and contrary to what you believe, its not about some poor SG citizen who is being 'robbed' of his perceived rightful entitlement to a landed property in SG.

You are still young (33/34 going by yr nick?). Your efforts to demonise the landed segment already border on the extreme to such an extent that people here are wary of your 'cry wolf' syndrome. Don't waste your energy ranting here. Spend it productively making more $ to afford your dream home otherwise you will end up disillusioned, bitter and blaming everybody else (rich foreigners, govt etc) for depriving you of what you think is due to you.
    this is as good as saying that you will let your daughters sleep with any millionaires because there is a good chance that they will marry your daughters and then give birth to millionaire babies.

When Singapore import Chinese tennis players, we were talking about long term, and yes they came, they stayed, they made their money, they got screwed, they gave birth and they left.

LONG TERM.

Please stop being so gullible and try to guess someone age using his forum nick name. Age doesnt mean anything in our discussion here. fact does

Relax all.

To each his views. Landed is not a choice the majority is capable or willing to afford.

I have many financially savvy friends who have switched their investments from condo to stocks now. Yield is easily over 10% yearly, so far very consistent.

There are risks in landed as well, if interests rise, assuming that this segment has comparatively the lowest rental demand and yield according to what was reported. They are shouldering the biggest risk, therefore the gain is the highest (currently).

So let each individual invest in his or her own way, take his or her risks. I doubt the Govt will do anything more to restrict such ownership, but they will most likely also not do anything when such investments plunge. Not everything must be regulated. In fact, the Govt might have already been doing too much with the 7 CMs.

I don't think ppl buy landed for rental. Even if yes, it will be a small minority in the already smaller population of landed owners. More ppl would buy cluster for rental instead...

New SC or Existing SC should be treated equally when it comes to such policy. They come here and they contribute in one way or another. If not, they won't be allowed to be SC. They might be rich new SC and they might be able to achieve certain things easily. So what, isn't this the same every where?
    Therefore, don't brood over it, rather, work hard and be rich!

Quote Originally Posted by Kelonguni
    There are risks in landed as well, if interests rise, assuming that this segment has comparatively the lowest rental demand and yield according to what was reported. They are shouldering the biggest risk, therefore the gain is the highest (currently).
    As many have said, most landed people don't look for rental yield at all.. that is why the yield is so low.

They are definately not relying on rental to pay the interest of their housing loans... which is not easy anyway given the low yield.