Thread: Balcony Windows/Curtains

Default Balcony Windows/Curtains

Hello everyone, I need some advice on Balcony.

I have a mid size balcony about 2m x 4m. Project is going to TOP soon so I would like some comments from experienced forummers.

Can I install curtains/sunscreen on my balcony? The main purpose is to prevent rain from coming into the balcony as I am planning to put a table, 2 chairs and some furnitures outside.

I saw this DBSS even more power. This guy install those sliding glass panels at the balcony so it is like a concealed area when the panels are closed up.

Are these allowed?

http://www.houzz.com/projects/112128...smart-windows-

Quote Originally Posted by Squall8888

I have a mid size balcony about 2m x 4m. Project is going to TOP soon so I would like some comments from experienced forummers.

Can I install curtains/sunscreen on my balcony? The main purpose is to prevent rain from coming into the balcony as I am planning to put a table, 2 chairs and some furnitures outside.

I saw this DBSS even more power. This guy install those sliding glass panels at the balcony so it is like a concealed area when the panels are closed up.

Are these allowed?

not allowed

you can whistle blow and complain to dveloper
    he will have to take it down

Thanks. What about blinds? Are those allowed?

Quote Originally Posted by proud owner
    not allowed

Attempt to affect the external of the building are usually not allowed. I realised alot of such restrictions even in DBSS projects.

Roller blinds should be alright, you still have to check with the developer. Alot of people are still going ahead with it.

Quote Originally Posted by proud owner
    not allowed

I think its case by case basis. depends on developer or mcst. Check out page 7 of bca booklet.

http://www.bca.gov.sg/WorksApprovalN...rs/booklet.pdf

for most new condos, the desire to look pretty on the outside is paramount, so tend to get over zealous MCs or neighbours.

for old condos, you can do just about anything and nobody gives a hoot

Quote Originally Posted by Squall8888

Are these allowed?

Quite interesting. Yet worrying. Anyone here knows about the load factor and the load bearing capability ?

So I should ask foe mcst when buying condo to see what are things I can and cannot do?

Quote Originally Posted by TravieJackie
    So I should ask foe mcst when buying condo to see what are things I can and cannot do?
    doubt they will entertain u if ur not an owner.

And if u ask the seller whether can be done, everything sure say ok ok.
    click: 🏢shoeboxmickeymousehouse 🏢

anyone tried glass sliding panels @ their balconies? any feeedback?
    LEDANG HEIGHTS, THE FUTURE GOOD CLASS BUNGALOW CENTRAL OF NUSAJAYA/ISKANDAR

Quote Originally Posted by lot286
    anyone tried glass sliding panels @ their balconies? any feeedback?

don't bother ....

if yours is a new condo ...definitely not allow ...

to enclose will increase the built up area .. hence the GFA etc ...

My condo's balcony is calculated inside the GFA.

and i dont see anything in their resident handbook that prohibits building glass panels as enclosing the balcony.

(i am on a high floor)

and i dont see anything in their resident handbook that prohibits building glass panels as enclosing the balcony.

(i am on a high floor)
    Probably because the technology was not common then and the management wasn't concerned or aware. I think it is a trend going forward for people to enclose their balcony, for safety and space.

Quote Originally Posted by hyenergix
    Probably because the technology was not common then and the management wasn't concerned or aware. I think it is a trend going forward for people to enclose their balcony, for safety and space.
    Agree.

Nowsdays, developers build so big balconies. No matter whether it is included in GFA, buyers spend a lot of money in it. Why not make use of it?

I notice most deveopers put more constraints on the enclosure of the balcony than the URA guidelines. If people combat together agaist these unecesary constraints, the situation may change several years later.

(i am on a high floor)

all condo balconies are calculated within GFA, except that developers have 10% more GFA given to them to build and sell if that 10% space is for balconies. regardless it's still part of gfa.

by ura regulations, all blinds, as well as sliding screens that have open slits/louvers or are perforated (e.g. those in FEO projects) for natural air flow are allowed, but those that can Fully seal the space, e.g. glass panels are not allowed.

unless your condo is a very old condo, this restriction applies.

Quote Originally Posted by gav108
    all condo balconies are calculated within GFA, except that developers have 10% more GFA given to them to build and sell if that 10% space is for balconies. regardless it's still part of gfa.

by ura regulations, all blinds, as well as sliding screens that have open slits/louvers or are perforated (e.g. those in FEO projects) for natural air flow are allowed, but those that can Fully seal the space, e.g. glass panels are not allowed.

unless your condo is a very old condo, this restriction applies.
    Just design a few slots for ventilation to circumvent the rule. It is not really an issue, just like using the "temporary" decking to create a mezzanine in loft apartments.

actually if we install glass window on the balcony, in what way did we change the appearance of the layout? Isnt it merely 1 extra glass over it nia? y would we hv issue with the committee or developer

Quote Originally Posted by hyenergix
    Just design a few slots for ventilation to circumvent the rule. It is not really an issue, just like using the "temporary" decking to create a mezzanine in loft apartments.

i do not know if a few punctures in the screen will meet the requirements. here's the link on balcony regulations, with some balcony screen samples:

http://www.ura.gov.sg/circulars/text...Part1-5gfa.pdf

anyway condo management will need to approve and standardize the colour and type of screen. otherwise imagine how the condo will appear with bamboo chicks, venetian blinds, roller blinds, sliding screens, all different colours

Quote Originally Posted by gav108
    i do not know if a few punctures in the screen will meet the requirements. here's the link on balcony regulations, with some balcony screen samples:

http://www.ura.gov.sg/circulars/text...Part1-5gfa.pdf

anyway condo management will need to approve and standardize the colour and type of screen. otherwise imagine how the condo will appear with bamboo chicks, venetian blinds, roller blinds, sliding screens, all different colours
    I thought it is quite common nowadays

FORMAL REPLY FROM BCA regarding GLASS CURTAINS @ BALCONY

We refer to your enquiry of 23 June 2013.

As enclosing the balcony of residential unit will affect the facade outlook of the residential building, formal approval needs to be sought from the developer or the MCST (if it has been formed) for the enclosure. As this enclosure may affect the ventilation comfort in the individual residential unit, it is essential for the unit owner to confirm that the enclosure of the balcony or the yard is acceptable to them. However, approval from the Building and Construction Authority would not be required for the enclosing of the balcony with windows.