Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buying property in Geylang area

Default Buying property in Geylang area

No offence to those staying in Geylang.

Rightly or wrongly, you cannot deny that the name "Geylang" invokes less than desirable connotations. People freely associate the place with vice and sleaze and unless you know the in's and out's of the area well, you won't be able to tell if the area is "clean" or not.

If you have heard and seen videos and pictures of the saga of Adam Goi whose neighbouring units turn into brothels and turned his life upside down, you'd appreciate the enormity of the problem you faced if you make a misstep and bought into an area of vice or potential vice.

So any good tips on what to look out for if you to invest in properties in this area? Some things I can think of is to make repeat visits to the area on various days and at different times especially at night. Look out for other signs like the presence of certain "famous" hotels nearby. A place may start "clean" but over time, vice activities may creep over and before you know, overtaken your entire neighbourhood. And even the police can't help you.
    hungry eat sleepy sleep

u have an agenda to tell ppl to stay off Geylang? thats very nice of u.

Quote Originally Posted by babyt
    chill, red light or not, just look at the chart:

Aiyoh, I have no agenda la And not all areas in Geylang are "red". I just want to know how to assess the area and sieve out the gold from the mould.
    hungry eat sleepy sleep

i have to admit i brought a loft unit at #1 loft at lorong 24.

but along lorong 24, other than #1 Loft, u have Edenz Loft and Octet. Another one, Residences One has yet to be launched. 4 new development occupying entire lorong 24....what do u think?

Avoid the following:

Wing Fong mansions/in fact wing fong anything

Westerhout Rd

Jln Suka

Jln Molek

and you should be quite safe.

To be really safe, avoid Lor 6 to 22 altogether.
    click: 🏢shoeboxmickeymousehouse 🏢

i have 2 younglings, and i will never touch geylang properties with a 10-mile pole

Quote Originally Posted by eng81157
    i have 2 younglings, and i will never touch geylang properties with a 10-mile pole
    I won't too, but to be fair, it might be good value for short term stay (single or couples before having children) or for rental yield.

I've got a MM at Smart Suites...reason being proximity to MRT (200m) and the Sims Ave address
    I am rich in debts...

My Friend brought a 2 Bedroom at Geylang in 2006 and I got a wake up call from him.

He brought it for SGD 420,000, it have a small swimming pool.

but along lorong 24, other than #1 Loft, u have Edenz Loft and Octet. Another one, Residences One has yet to be launched. 4 new development occupying entire lorong 24....what do u think?
    power bro...isn't that where jalan suka is? did you check around the area at night before you buy? just want to learn la...no agenda hor
    hungry eat sleepy sleep

Bought an IT much earlier and just got enbloc. Developer play there is strong, given the plot ratio and height limitation.

Two weeks ago, went down to Geylang to have a look at some of the Lorongs project development including Lorong 24 but can't see any sign of tearing down of any building yet in this Lorong, am wondering which units will be enbloc?

all the terrace houses will be tear down. if u notice, some of the houses have "SOLD" notice on it.

yes i notice jln suka but doesnt matter...who knows thing may change after 4 residential projects TOP. like i said, i brought to stay and im single man.

duplicated
    Last edited by babyt; 04-03-13 at 22:17. Reason: duplicate

I happened to visit my cousin who is staying in one of the HDB blocks in Cassia Crescent one Saturday afternoon. Could see across L24 from the high floor. Saw like a lot of happenings in that street leh.

Last year, I was considering to purchase a unit at Geylang. When doing my due diligence, I chanced upon this website which I feel is quite informative for buyers considering GL for the first time. Hope this helps.

http://investingeylang.com/2011/04/2...-look-out-for/

Quote Originally Posted by Tek888
    Last year, I was considering to purchase a unit at Geylang. When doing my due diligence, I chanced upon this website which I feel is quite informative for buyers considering GL for the first time. Hope this helps.

http://investingeylang.com/2011/04/2...-look-out-for/
    I was hoping for some sammyboy type of information. so disappointed.
    "Never argue with an idiot, or he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience."

Quote Originally Posted by ahchee
    I happened to visit my cousin who is staying in one of the HDB blocks in Cassia Crescent one Saturday afternoon. Could see across L24 from the high floor. Saw like a lot of happenings in that street leh.
    Check this out for a closer look at the happenings
    https://www.facebook.com/SaveJalanSuka?fref=ts
    hungry eat sleepy sleep

Omg it's really shocking!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRJz...e_gdata_player

In one of the night videos I even see barber right across the st. Lol

It's really really bad. Even in broad daylight!

I pity this poor guy Adam Goi guy. He said it's even worse during weekends and public holidays where it's a whole day and night event.

So if you intend to buy a place in these areas, you need to recce the place both day and night over a few days. And to be safe, better cover a wide circle from your POI (place of interest)- say 1-2 km radius to be doubly kiasi/kiasu in case the contagion spreads
    hungry eat sleepy sleep

sheesh the sleaze......this is why i will never touch geylang with a 10mile pole.

Quote Originally Posted by babyt View Post
    all the terrace houses will be tear down. if u notice, some of the houses have "SOLD" notice on it.

yes i notice jln suka but doesnt matter...who knows thing may change after 4 residential projects TOP. like i said, i brought to stay and im single man.
    Babyt..u dont mislead other ppl la..since when that all the houses along lorong 24 will be tore down?

For rental yield I think ok lah....Now days single working professional don't mind renting there.... Close to city with cheap rent, where to get? I also don't mind
    But for own stay with family, think twice lei....
    If you decide to buy, make sure it is a fantastic offer to offset all the negativity of the place...Plus be prepared to borrow from finance companies rather than banks (higher interest). Also, can negotiate with the agent. developer (most are very very desperate to sell a unit as quickly as possible)
    Also watch out for fly by night developers, make sure they are financially sound.....Typically less than famous developers market that area (I cld be wrong, but it seems the case to me)
    But if for some reason gahmen decide to clean up the place, you will huat huat huat big time

Quote Originally Posted by leesg123 View Post
    chill, red light or not, just look at the chart:

which area in Sg does not have this line chart shooting up?

Quote Originally Posted by mcmlxxvi View Post
    It's really really bad. Even in broad daylight!

Imagine if u hv property there...will u feel good going there and be mistaken by friends inadvertently that u are there for other ' business' ? sibeh jilat

Quote Originally Posted by Mu View Post
    For rental yield I think ok lah....Now days single working professional don't mind renting there.... Close to city with cheap rent, where to get? I also don't mind
    But for own stay with family, think twice lei....
    If you decide to buy, make sure it is a fantastic offer to offset all the negativity of the place...Plus be prepared to borrow from finance companies rather than banks (higher interest). Also, can negotiate with the agent. developer (most are very very desperate to sell a unit as quickly as possible)
    Also watch out for fly by night developers, make sure they are financially sound.....Typically less than famous developers market that area (I cld be wrong, but it seems the case to me)
    But if for some reason gahmen decide to clean up the place, you will huat huat huat big time

agent la... or people with interests there and want the area to be huat like jurong....

Quote Originally Posted by peterng8 View Post
    Imagine if u hv property there...will u feel good going there and be mistaken by friends inadvertently that u are there for other ' business' ? sibeh jilat
    An investor will never say no to money.

Quote Originally Posted by leesg123 View Post
    An investor will never say no to money.
    than what are u waiting for? jump in and buy before it is snapped up by others.....