Thread: En bloc noob questions

Default En bloc noob questions

Can someone enlighten me on the following:
    1. when calculating how en bloc proceeds are to be apportioned, is this based on the number of shares of each unit, as in the same shares for calculating monthly maintenance?
    2. if yes, where can we find this information? Have to (i) pay and (ii) make a physical visit to SLA / BCA / URA?
    Thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by starrynight
    Can someone enlighten me on the following:
    1. when calculating how en bloc proceeds are to be apportioned, is this based on the number of shares of each unit, as in the same shares for calculating monthly maintenance?
    2. if yes, where can we find this information? Have to (i) pay and (ii) make a physical visit to SLA / BCA / URA?
    Thanks in advance

It is up to the residents of the en-bloc property to decide how to split the proceeds.

The most common methods are by share values, unit size or valuation (by appointed valuer) of each unit. I have seen a proposed method which uses all 3 of the above (giving an equal one-third weightage to each of them).

Ultimately it is up to the residents to come up with a method that all of them (or at least 80% of them) agree upon, or the enbloc can't go ahead.

Thanks!

I know it varies from devt to devt, but do you know which of the 3 methods you stated is the most often used one?

Quote Originally Posted by BV
    It is up to the residents of the en-bloc property to decide how to split the proceeds.

The most common methods are by share values, unit size or valuation (by appointed valuer) of each unit. I have seen a proposed method which uses all 3 of the above (giving an equal one-third weightage to each of them).

Ultimately it is up to the residents to come up with a method that all of them (or at least 80% of them) agree upon, or the enbloc can't go ahead.

Thanks!

I know it varies from devt to devt, but do you know which of the 3 methods you stated is the most often used one?
    It's probably a toss up between the first two, i.e. share value or actual unit strata size.

The valuation of each unit incurs a cost which many deem unnecessary (unless there are many who believe that their high-floor or good facing units deserve a larger share of the proceeds). Valuation premiums for 'good units' in a enbloc development are also not very meaningful as an enbloc sale is about the redevelopment or residual value of the land which the property sits on.

http://www.iea.org.sg/index.cfm?GPID=2

Realistically, there is no model answer to address this.
    Usually, sticking to one method will usually favour 1 group over another.
    The 3 usual camps are shop owners, regular units, and penthouse/ground floor units.

The enbloc consultant will usually come out with a formula that can balance the demands from all 3 camps. The commercial unit owners usually holds more share values, and are the usual objectors, next will be the PH units.

Thanks - very helpful info!

Coming back to my original question, do you know where I can find info on the number of shares allocated to each of the type of units in a devt?

To use Yong An Park as an example, would the 1- / 2-bedders (1023 sq ft) have far less number of shares than the many "godzilla units" of 4,000+ sq ft or the 4-storey townhouses? If so, then given that the owners of large units will probably never be able to buy units of that size anywhere else in D9, they very likely be against any en bloc, and if they hold an "outsize" number of shares, they make the decisions?

Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by triple70
    http://www.iea.org.sg/index.cfm?GPID=2

Realistically, there is no model answer to address this.
    Usually, sticking to one method will usually favour 1 group over another.
    The 3 usual camps are shop owners, regular units, and penthouse/ground floor units.

The enbloc consultant will usually come out with a formula that can balance the demands from all 3 camps. The commercial unit owners usually holds more share values, and are the usual objectors, next will be the PH units.
    Quote Originally Posted by BV
    It's probably a toss up between the first two, i.e. share value or actual unit strata size.

The valuation of each unit incurs a cost which many deem unnecessary (unless there are many who believe that their high-floor or good facing units deserve a larger share of the proceeds). Valuation premiums for 'good units' in a enbloc development are also not very meaningful as an enbloc sale is about the redevelopment or residual value of the land which the property sits on.

Found some information here: http://www.bca.gov.sg/BMSM/others/Sh...Guidelines.pdf

But I get more confused. Seems that monthly maintenance fee is NOT dependent on share value of the unit?

Thanks - very helpful info!

Coming back to my original question, do you know where I can find info on the number of shares allocated to each of the type of units in a devt?

To use Yong An Park as an example, would the 1- / 2-bedders (1023 sq ft) have far less number of shares than the many "godzilla units" of 4,000+ sq ft or the 4-storey townhouses? If so, then given that the owners of large units will probably never be able to buy units of that size anywhere else in D9, they very likely be against any en bloc, and if they hold an "outsize" number of shares, they make the decisions?

Thanks in advance.

U shd go to the MA office to ask how many share value for the unit u interested in. As to how they derive the share value, go ask the architect.